Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Looking for the Ark of the Covenant

Alfaman

4 hours ago, back to earth said:

a metal that spontaneously combusts  ?   found in the desert ?

... and it says that in the BIble ?

What Bible you been reading Docy ?   :blink:

The hallucinogenic manna that they found every morning could be refined into wmd type of device the aliens took it away.<_<

jmccr8

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

Very familiar with what you're referring to BUT the topic (thanks to BtE) is whether Moses broke any of the commandments after receiving them from god. Before Moses got the commandments I'm sure he did. To the best of my knowledge after he received the 10 commandments he did not. That;s the difference. 

The commandment of death does have exemption in those times, and still does.

jmccr8

• Like 1

Just now, jmccr8 said:

The commandment of death does have exemption in those times, and still does.

jmccr8

You have no proof of that. If the Hebrews had the 10 commandments already from Yahweh then Moses wouldn't have needed to receive them a second time. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Captain Risky said:

You have no proof of that. If the Hebrews had the 10 commandments already from Yahweh then Moses wouldn't have needed to receive them a second time. 

From what I've seen through the years is any system that has existed did so because they needed to be in groups to survive and develop and justified killings are and have been a part of those communities political/religious. In many cases justice was served in group participation by stoning or beating, and it was right here right now and not let them live.

jmccr8

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

Yes but it's not me that has to show that what or if the depictions in the bible exist. The cultures that they evolved from were civilized and organized cultures with killings and the circumstances they occurred and made judgments in Pre-Hebrew times, these culture would seem to be fairly well understood in some circles. This is not unique to them it evolved world wide in places that had no association with the Hebrew and much earlier in time. But this is all a sidetrack by now.

jmccr8

• Like 1

I believe Moses wrote Deuteronomy, and the Exodus was written later by writers as a glorified story.

Deuteronomy,Moses said he alone made the ark out of wood, made from  the voice of God of the thunder mountain. What noise would it  be but a drum? I believe he wrote on small tablets the rules that he broke.  but I think  nothing in  Deuteronomy said he broke the ark.

2451524184.jpg

Edited by docyabut2

10 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

The only description we have of the ark is from the old testament and it is not desribed as an old dilapidated drum there. 

25:10 And they shall make an ark of shittim wood: two cubits and a half shall be the length thereof, and a cubit and a half the breadth thereof, and a cubit and a half the height thereof.  
25:11 And thou shalt overlay it with pure gold, within and without shalt thou overlay it, and shalt make upon it a crown of gold round about.  
25:12 And thou shalt cast four rings of gold for it, and put them in the four corners thereof; and two rings shall be in the one side of it, and two rings in the other side of it.  
25:13 And thou shalt make staves of shittim wood, and overlay them with gold.  
25:14 And thou shalt put the staves into the rings by the sides of the ark, that the ark may be borne with them.  

25:15 The staves shall be in the rings of the ark: they shall not be taken from it.

So we have an object that may not actually exist, hiding in a place that may not actually exist. :innocent:

Hang on!  Where did they get 24 carat gold from in the middle of the Sinai? 

Were they perhaps trading with the Nibblers?   And, if so, why were the Nibblers selling gold back to Earth?  Sitchin never said anything about that?!!  :o 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Essan said:

Hang on!  Where did they get 24 carat gold from in the middle of the Sinai? 

Were they perhaps trading with the Nibblers?   And, if so, why were the Nibblers selling gold back to Earth?  Sitchin never said anything about that?!!  :o 

Well they did spend a long time in the Sinai, so if there was any gold I am sure they had plenty of time finding it.

The idea that they spend about 40 years wandering the Sinai allways crack me up. Some people just don't have a sense of direction. :rofl: 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

Very familiar with what you're referring to BUT the topic (thanks to BtE) is whether Moses broke any of the commandments after receiving them from god. Before Moses got the commandments I'm sure he did. To the best of my knowledge after he received the 10 commandments he did not. That;s the difference. 

Actually he never broke the commandments, because "thou shalt not kill" wasn't referred to anybody, but only regarding people belonging to their own tribe. 

Indeed, it's well explained in the quote from BtE's post (can I borrow it mate?) 

8 hours ago, back to earth said:

He looked all around, and when he didn’t see anyone, he beat the Egyptian to death and hid the body in the sand.

13 When Moses went there the next day, he saw two Hebrew men fighting. He asked the one who started the fight, “Why are you beating another Hebrew?"

His concern is not that the guy is beating a person (he apparently had no problem killing one the day before), but that he's beating an Hebrew like them (Egyptian? Pffft!). 

The 10 commandments are intended not for the world to share, but are exclusive to their own tribe. 

After all, it's only them who have the special covenant with Yhaweh, their specific tribe. Not even all the Jews, but only that tribe (Israelites). 

Indeed they had no problem in fighting, murdering, pillaging, raping, robbing and exterminating even their own cousins. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

According to the Book of Exodus, God instructed Moses on Mount Sinai during his 40-day stay upon the mountain within the thick and( thunderess)  cloud and darkness where God was[4][5] and he was shown the pattern for the tabernacle and furnishings of the Ark to be made of shittim wood . Moses instructed Bezalel and Oholiab to construct the Ark.[6][7] In Deuteronomy, however, the Ark is said to have been built specifically by Moses himself without reference of Bezalel or Oholiab.[

I just hate it when your instructor takes credit for all your hard work!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

I just hate it when your instructor takes credit for all your hard work!

Yeah its also annoying that a deity who constructed the entire universe can't do a DIY of making a box.....take about being lazy.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

Moses went up the mountain twice   , to get two sets of laws . 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

Very familiar with what you're referring to BUT the topic (thanks to BtE) is whether Moses broke any of the commandments after receiving them from god.

Why do you always try to move the goalposts when you start getting confused or losing the argument ? 

I clearly said Moses even committed pre - emptive murder before the commandments were written .

You denied that, so I posted the evidence from the Bible .  Now, instead of going "Oh yeah, you were right BTE" -  you are now  adding  'after receiving them from  God ' .

* and of course before those 10 commandments no one had a law about not killing each other .... they just went around murdering each other willy nilly with no consequences     :D   

Before Moses got the commandments I'm sure he did.

Not only moved the goal posts but turned around and ran in the opposite direction now ? 

Oh, thats right , you did this after you read the bible quote proving what I claimed     ... instead of acknowledging that I was right   :) 

To the best of my knowledge after he received the 10 commandments he did not. That;s the difference. 

Sure he did ... all over the place !  

Moses received commandments in  Exodus 20:1–17

Then at  Exodus 32; 26 - 29 ;

So he stood at the entrance to the camp and said, "Whoever is for the LORD, come to me." And all the Levites rallied to him.

Then he said to them, "This is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: 'Each man strap a sword to his side. Go back and forth through the camp from one end to the other, each killing his brother and friend and neighbor.

The Levites did as Moses commanded, and that day about three thousand of the people died.  '

Then Moses said, "You have been set apart to the LORD today, for you were against your own sons and brothers, and he has blessed you this day."

Now ... Risky  ...   how about  YOU   "    Let it go and say you made a mistake.   "  

Hmmmmmmmmmm     ?   ?   ?   ?   ?   

Edited by back to earth
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Well they did spend a long time in the Sinai, so if there was any gold I am sure they had plenty of time finding it.

The idea that they spend about 40 years wandering the Sinai allways crack me up. Some people just don't have a sense of direction. :rofl: 

Well .... if you followed  a ;burning pillar of fire and smoke around the desert instead of observing the stars and the dune formations from prevailing winds, like everybody else did back then  ....    you would get lost too ! 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Parsec said:

Actually he never broke the commandments, because "thou shalt not kill" wasn't referred to anybody, but only regarding people belonging to their own tribe. 

Damn ...   forgio to read that fine print again on the stone tablet  !  

Shame about the mass killings just after the golden calf incident , but , of course, Moses aint to blame , he was just issuing orders 

Levites arent to blame - they just following orders    

:) 

Then , there are the stonings to death of 'their own tribe' , which was also a law .... if they broke some of the laws .

Looks like if they had obeyed their commandments .... they all would have had to kill each other   :)  

Indeed, it's well explained in the quote from BtE's post (can I borrow it mate?) 

Oh indeed , borrow it , twist it ,  turn it to its opposite ,    

everyone else does !  <_<

:D 

His concern is not that the guy is beating a person (he apparently had no problem killing one the day before), but that he's beating an Hebrew like them (Egyptian? Pffft!). 

The 10 commandments are intended not for the world to share, but are exclusive to their own tribe. 

Unless they break some of the other ones,  then they are not protected by even their own law against killing . 

After all, it's only them who have the special covenant with Yhaweh, their specific tribe. Not even all the Jews, but only that tribe (Israelites). 

Yes , I was going to address the 'tribe' word usage here .  We could even say, looking at the mass killings that took place .... only applied for the Levites !  

(and not only that , afterwards they got the others to strip their ornaments ...... more gold for the 'chest '   ;)   

Indeed they had no problem in fighting, murdering, pillaging, raping, robbing and exterminating even their own cousins. 

and their own  brothers  friends and neighbours  .... if we believe the biblical account . 

3000 +  of them !  All at the order of the Mass Murderer Moses   ( that, for some reason Risky wants to defend  ??? :wacko:

.... Imagine it folks .... you went off on this big movement .... with hope and expected milk and honey, you end up out in the desert with these guys herding you into a camp, they come through and start slaughtering people willy nilly, even their own family, then they tell you to take off your gold and jewels and leave it behind  .... 

Modern Moses ; 

Related image

But the religion of most of  western society is based on these belief systems      :wacko:

Edited by back to earth
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Hanslune said:

Yeah its also annoying that a deity who constructed the entire universe can't do a DIY of making a box.....take about being lazy.

Well , he did make a drum with gunpowder in at as well  ... to make it go loud bang-bang when it was hit     :)  

Like thunder God on mountain  . 

Image result for exploding drum gif

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

Just to add... the Ethiopians were Jews long before they became Christians and as such it wouldn't be a huge jump to accept that the practice of having an "Ark of the Covenant" in a holy place could be more symbolic than the REAL ARK and a throw back to their jewish religion and identity. Now the legend, whether real or just that concerning Solomon is ingrained into not just their old and new religion but also into their history. Im referring to the queen of Sheba and the legends surrounding that. Maybe this was inherited from Jewish settlers or maybe the legend is true only it can't be proved concerning the they are decedents from the tribe of Dan. But to discount one portion of Jewish religious history is to discount it all and if you can't discount it all then maybe there is some proof that just hasn't been found. If you're discounting David then you're also discounting the existence of Solomon and the first temple. Is that why you're saying?   

EDIT to add... sorry i got ahead of myself and you did not discount the historical David just historical Solomon. Still my point is valid. If the father existed and the 1st temple is attributed to his son Solomon then it stands to reason that he also existed. 

http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/insideisrael/2013/june/did-david-solomon-exist-dig-refutes-naysayers/?mobile=false

I am no atheist but I admit I approach historical research from a strictly secular view. It has to be understood that the Old Testament and the Bible in general is not a work of history as we understand the concept. You cannot use only one source for something so important historically, meaning that if one source mentions something significant, it has to be corroborated by other sources. So, yes, the Old Testament tells us a lot about Solomon, but it also tells us a lot about other figures who probably weren't real. In one sense the ancient Hebrew scribes were similar to the crafters of Greek legends: great events and hallmark moments were focused on the efforts and influences of specific individuals. But as we know in the real world, it's rarely that simple.

I'm babbling so allow me to get to the point. We have extrabiblical proof for David, and what's important about the source is it isn't even from the Hebrews (the Tel Dan stela). We have extrabiblical proof for a number of Hebrew kings during the period of monarchy—but outside of the Bible we still have no proof that Solomon existed. This was supposed to be a king, mind you. And arguably, as the Old Testament plays out, an even greater and more influential king than David. There is proof for the father, yes, but that doesn't mean that automatically Solomon must have existed. If we examine the Old Testament as the socio-religious and political document that it is, we see that it can't stand alone. Now, I concede that evidence might yet be found for an historical Solomon, but as it stand now none exists. So we can't historically regard him as real (any more than Noah or other such figures were real).

I should also clarify that as much as I enjoy discussing Exodus and the events therein, I also do not believe it to have been real—at least not in any way similar to how it was eventually codified. That was a massive event (as portrayed) and yet there is simply no extrabiblical evidence it occurred at all. When examined historically and temporally, Exodus isn't terribly realistic.

Im saying none of that. I know here you're taking this and i think i will wait upon the moderator i quoted originally to reply. Good day to you. 

I'm not sure what you're looking for in this comment but I hope it was in reference to what I just wrote above. If not, please feel free to direct me to the post to which you want me to reply.

• Like 4

Did you not make the point that Moses broke the commandment saying... 'thou shall not kill.' ? 

There is occasional lively debate over whether Moses did break one of the commandments, although I can't think of an instance of homicide after the commandments were received.

There is that event in Numbers 20:8 in which Yahweh instructs Moses to gather his people and speak to the rock so that it would yield water for them and their cattle to drink. But in Numbers 20:9, after Moses had gathered the people with Aaron, he angrily addresses the people: "Listen, you rebels, must we bring you water out of this rock?" He then smacks the rock a couple of times with his staff, and the water gushes forth.

So the water was received, but Moses had not followed Yahweh's instructions faithfully. He, Moses, made it sound as though he and Aaron were miraculously bringing the water forth instead of the Lord, and struck the rock instead of speaking to it. After that happened, the Lord told Moses he would not lead the people into the Promised Land. And in fact, as we know, Moses died before his people arrived there. (Here's a good source for the story.)

So scholars debate to this day why Yahweh was so upset. It seems a minor thing. Did Moses break the ninth commandment, "Though shall not bear false witness?" That emphasizes "against your neighbor," so that doesn't seem to fit too well, in my opinion. A better fit would be the third commandment, "Though shall not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain." This means a lot more than just slipping in Gods name when swearing and extends to the proper uses of the Lord's name in prayer, discourse, and daily life. Arguably, in this action in Numbers, Moses took God's name in vain by not giving proper credit and by not following God's directions. But one can quibble over such things. What's certain is that God punished Moses by not allowing him to reach the Promised Land, even after all Moses had done for the people.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

There is occasional lively debate over whether Moses did break one of the commandments, although I can't think of an instance of homicide after the commandments were received.

What do you make of    Exodus 32; 26 - 29    ?  

There is that event in Numbers 20:8 in which Yahweh instructs Moses to gather his people and speak to the rock so that it would yield water for them and their cattle to drink. But in Numbers 20:9, after Moses had gathered the people with Aaron, he angrily addresses the people: "Listen, you rebels, must we bring you water out of this rock?" He then smacks the rock a couple of times with his staff, and the water gushes forth.

Now where did this idea come from ? 

The reason I ask is that there is a very old Aboriginal tale from Western Australia ;

<please excuse ... going off the top of my head here > 

People  came across the ocean to a new land, but when they arrived there was desert so they went inland to look for water. Eventually they came upon this big rock and  one of them hit with his throwing stick ... but no water , then another two, with the same result . Now they were weak and on their last legs, so ( I think ) some animal or totem went to get help .

Later more people came over the water and walked inland to find them, they got in the same situation, eventually finding the rock but the others had expired. gain 3 of them threw their sticks at the rock , and the last one cracked it and water flowed forth, so they were able to settle the land . The first lot of people then became elements in the landscape . 

So the water was received, but Moses had not followed Yahweh's instructions faithfully. He, Moses, made it sound as though he and Aaron were miraculously bringing the water forth instead of the Lord, and struck the rock instead of speaking to it. After that happened, the Lord told Moses he would not lead the people into the Promised Land. And in fact, as we know, Moses died before his people arrived there. (Here's a good source for the story.)

So scholars debate to this day why Yahweh was so upset. It seems a minor thing. Did Moses break the ninth commandment, "Though shall not bear false witness?" That emphasizes "against your neighbor," so that doesn't seem to fit too well, in my opinion. A better fit would be the third commandment, "Though shall not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain." This means a lot more than just slipping in Gods name when swearing and extends to the proper uses of the Lord's name in prayer, discourse, and daily life. Arguably, in this action in Numbers, Moses took God's name in vain by not giving proper credit and by not following God's directions. But one can quibble over such things. What's certain is that God punished Moses by not allowing him to reach the Promised Land, even after all Moses had done for the people.

It was a contract with God and Moses , at times 'the people' were slaughtered and treated as 'straw dogs '  . . . . .  did Moses fulfill all the clauses  of his contract with God ?  If not ...... no milk and honey for you !  

Its an old question in Judaism ;  " Why all the bad things  happen to us ?  "   ... as my  Jewish  friend puts it . " If we follow the Law of God, why is he punishing us all the time ?" 

One answer is that Jewish history is a long story of the Jews NOT following  the law and being disobedient ...  ..   the more fundamentalist Jew, might agree . 

There is a larger explanation  ....  but to take this further prob should be in  a religious or philosophy forum . 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, back to earth said:

I'd forgotten about that passage, and a bloody one it is. Lots of Israelites were put to death that day at Moses' direction. But the Lord doesn't seem troubled by this, when Moses subsequently goes to petition him to ask forgiveness for his people. Yahweh emphasizes he will simply blot out the sinful from his book. Evidently, otherwise, all seems forgiven. So it's odd that Yahweh overlooks this but punishes Moses for how he brought water from the rock. 

Now where did this idea come from ? 

The reason I ask is that there is a very old Aboriginal tale from Western Australia ;

<please excuse ... going off the top of my head here > 

People  came across the ocean to a new land, but when they arrived there was desert so they went inland to look for water. Eventually they came upon this big rock and  one of them hit with his throwing stick ... but no water , then another two, with the same result . Now they were weak and on their last legs, so ( I think ) some animal or totem went to get help .

Later more people came over the water and walked inland to find them, they got in the same situation, eventually finding the rock but the others had expired. gain 3 of them threw their sticks at the rock , and the last one cracked it and water flowed forth, so they were able to settle the land . The first lot of people then became elements in the landscape . 

LOL That's really interesting. Did the Egyptians relay this myth to the Aborigines when they visited Gosford so long ago? :lol: Or is it the other way around? The Aborigines are a lot older than Judaism, after all. It's surprising how similar the stories are.

It was a contract with God and Moses , at times 'the people' were slaughtered and treated as 'straw dogs '  . . . . .  did Moses fulfill all the clauses  of his contract with God ?  If not ...... no milk and honey for you !  

Its an old question in Judaism ;  " Why all the bad things  happen to us ?  "   ... as my  Jewish  friend puts it . " If we follow the Law of God, why is he punishing us all the time ?" 

One answer is that Jewish history is a long story of the Jews NOT following  the law and being disobedient ...  ..   the more fundamentalist Jew, might agree . 

There is a larger explanation  ....  but to take this further prob should be in  a religious or philosophy forum . 

This topic of "Why us?" often pops up when we're giving tours at the Oriental Institute. Many of the tours take on a biblical slant, so it pays to know biblical lore. As the Bible would have it, the Hebrews were repeatedly conquered (by Egypt, Assyria, Babylon, Persia) because they repeatedly broke their contract with Yahweh, thus deserving punishment. It's as though the Judeo-Christian God created all of the great ancient Near Eastern empires as just a way to keep putting the Hebrews in their place, until they learned better. Naturally that doesn't sit too well with those of us who study those great empires. But ancient Israel is also one of my favorite research topics, so I really enjoy these discussions.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, back to earth said:

I forgot to ask this in my preceding post so I'll do it now. So Moses orders the slaughter of three thousand Israelites. Rereading these passages in Exodus 32, I'm not too clear on this, but does it suggest anywhere that Yahweh directed Moses to do this or did Moses take it upon himself?

Well  .......  

"  Then he said to them, "This is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: 'Each man strap a sword to his side. Go back and forth through the camp from one end to the other, each killing his brother and friend and neighbor.  "

So  .....  Simon sez  . . . . . .       IF  we trust Moses   ;)  

You could lay this on em at Muse   ;   Regarding the concept of 'Monotheistic battle '  Vs, Henotheistic battle - 

Our God is better than yours and we kick your **** . .......  with his help . 

NO !   Our God is better than yours and we kick your ****  ....   with his help .

Inevitably ;    Oh , yeah, okay, you win , your God was more powerful !  

Thats right ,  but you can guys can still have your God and temple , just be good now and dont stop paying your taxes again , okay ? "

The  Jews  never had that option , their God was and made them fierce in battle as the other Gods were false ... how could they lose ?

When they did   ? ? ?    .....  musta done something wrong         Related image

-    hence , according to some   ( and I got this off a Rabbi  )  , the origin of  'Jewish Guilt '  .  

( Iran it by my jewish friend and he liked it  ..... but then he goes  " But what about our Mother stuff ! ? "

O i  !       -    I leave that one alone   !  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, back to earth said:

Well  .......  

"  Then he said to them, "This is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: 'Each man strap a sword to his side. Go back and forth through the camp from one end to the other, each killing his brother and friend and neighbor.  "

So  .....  Simon sez  . . . . . .       IF  we trust Moses

Yes, that's what I mean. Moses is saying this, not God. I went back and looked for a passage in which Yahweh directs Moses to conduct the slaughter and don't really see it. There is the section where Yahweh is furious over the golden calf and wants to smite the lot of them, but in Exodus 32:12-14 Moses talks him out of it. No smiting at that moment, but presently Moses directs the slaughter to be carried out anyway.

( Iran it by my jewish friend and he liked it  ..... but then he goes  " But what about our Mother stuff ! ? "

O i  !       -    I leave that one alone   !  

Oh boy, yes, leave that one alone. It's something the Jews have been wrestling with for thousands of years. Look at Howard on the Big Bang Theory.

• Like 1

My Jewish friend was also my boss at one stage , at lunch one day  ( I went to town and returned with sandwiches ) .

" Oh , I cant eat this , this one has roast beef and cheese on it ?"

" Why not ? "

" It's not kosher ! "

" Ha!  What do you care ? " 

" Well, its our tradition, my mother would hit the roof if she knew ! "

" But your other is in israel !  What would she know about it  !  ? "

" I know, but I dnt like the thought of her .... ummmm  ....  " 

" You mean , when you ring her up and she says  (  and I imitate her , as I imagine it goes ... )  ' Arvam ! My dear son , how are you ,is everything good ? Are you looking after yourself and eating all the right food ? '   And you go  ' Oh .... ummmmmm    ....  errrmmm  ...  of course ! ' and she goes  " Oh My GOD  !  You havent been eating non- Kosher ! " .......     ceeeerashh!    "

" Stop  that ! ........   what was that noise supposed to be ?"

" Your Mum going through the ceiling .  "   

- gotta fill in the work day somehow 

Related image

• Like 2