Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists create artificial mouse embryos

UM-Bot

Just what the world needs....more bloody mice!   :lol:     Perhaps next they can create more flies to annoy us in summertime!

Joking aside.... its a great achievement

So, after managing to mix skin cells and egg cells in order to create an embryo, now another team managed to get rid even of the egg cell? 

We are indeed progressing and pushing forward! 

I only wonder if it's in the right direction. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Parsec said:

So, after managing to mix skin cells and egg cells in order to create an embryo, now another team managed to get rid even of the egg cell? 

We are indeed progressing and pushing forward! 

I only wonder if it's in the right direction. 

Why?  I don't see where this sort of thing is really any different from building better cars.  There seems to be a superstition among a lot of people about "tampering" with life.  It has religious overtones, silly ones.

6 hours ago, Frank Merton said:

Why?  I don't see where this sort of thing is really any different from building better cars.  There seems to be a superstition among a lot of people about "tampering" with life.  It has religious overtones, silly ones.

First, it's not necessarily a religious overtone (at least in my case it has nothing to do with it).

Second, even if it was, don't patronise people only because they don't share your world view, it's quite arrogant.

If you can't see any issue, it doesn't mean that if sombody sees them, they have to be silly.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Parsec said:

First, it's not necessarily a religious overtone (at least in my case it has nothing to do with it).

Second, even if it was, don't patronise people only because they don't share your world view, it's quite arrogant.

If you can't see any issue, it doesn't mean that if sombody sees them, they have to be silly.

Don't patronize people, you say, while you patronize away.  Sheesh!

There really is no issue here except one of superstition.  All change, including scientific progress, can have negative effects.  It is not limited to progress involving living things.  I am kinda reminded of Trump -- "such and such" is so, because I say it is, and others don't have any right to question me, and if they do they are patronizing.

17 hours ago, Frank Merton said:

There's a little more to it than religious overtones.

While there are potentially huge benefits with regards to genetic diseases, etc., there are also some pertinent questions regarding eugenics and surrounding issues.

We're a bit more important than cars.

Edited by LV-426
  • Like 2

Don't patronize people, you say, while you patronize away.  Sheesh!

There really is no issue here except one of superstition.  All change, including scientific progress, can have negative effects.  It is not limited to progress involving living things.  I am kinda reminded of Trump -- "such and such" is so, because I say it is, and others don't have any right to question me, and if they do they are patronizing.

If you see no difference between people and cars it's fine with me, your point of view. 

But when you then add a generalistic, dismissive (and wrong, if applied to me) comment, that's not fine anymore. 

You are the one showing to have the Truth in his pocket and deriding other points of view, without even caring to check actually why they differ. You have your preconstructed idea in your mind, and that's enough. 

So, sorry to bring it to you, but the only Trump in this thread is you so far. 

I'm told to not respond to those who make personal insults, so, no comment.