Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Frogs are capable of seeing color in the dark

UM-Bot

Neat, I know what I'm getting once gene therapy after birth becomes available to the public when I'm in my 90's.

Nothing can see color, or anything for that matter, in total darkness. At least some minimal light must strike the object being viewed and be reflected to the eye of the viewer. Frogs and toads may be able to do this better in very low light than any animal, but they do need some minimal lighting to see an object, color or not. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sundew said:

Nothing can see color, or anything for that matter, in total darkness. At least some minimal light must strike the object being viewed and be reflected to the eye of the viewer. Frogs and toads may be able to do this better in very low light than any animal, but they do need some minimal lighting to see an object, color or not. 

I agree.

Perhaps the article should have made clear that:

1) Some ambient light, however low in intensity, is needed to see reflected color in the dark. Bioluminece excluded.

2) That the visual sensory biologics in frogs and toads have a color sensitivity in low light conditions just above biologic sensitivity... The lowest known in Nature.

Great finding nonetheless!!