Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Still Waters

Man finds burning tree hours after storm

Still Waters

When you get up to walk your dog at 6 a.m., you don't expect to see a burning tree. But after a storm rolled through Jim Probst's neighborhood, that's exactly what happened.

Around 2 a.m. CT, Wednesday, in St. Louis, Jim Probst woke up to thunder and lightning -- and had to comfort his terrified dog. The dog "shoved himself under my bed," Probst said, and he went back to sleep.

"I got up about 5:30 to get the dog ready for a walk but saw the smoke out in the cemetery and left the dog in the yard, walked over and well, you see what I saw in the video," Probst told CNN.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/03/03/weather/lightning-hits-tree-trnd/index.html

• Like 7

Eldorado

An ash tree?  It is now!  lol

Real spooky to see that in a cemetery.  Would be interesting to find out who was the last person buried there.  Or who's ashes were last scattered.  Maybe the ashes were still alight!  lol

• Like 3

South Alabam

I have a railroad tie that was used as a corner post for a fence. Lightning struck it and burned the inside of it, yet it is still strong. I can get pictures if anyone is interested.

• Like 2

Sarcasm4U

The Maple inside Maple trees is flammable, Is there an Arborist around?  What type of tree?

UFOwatcher

During my boyhood days of living on a farm I witnessed a tree struck by lightning. The lower part was ripped open like a vertical explosion and had steam coming out.. Very exciting for a kid!

• Like 1

djfxw

What about the creepy face in the ash!

• Like 1

Silent Trinity

Definitely an eerie sight to see in a cemetery! I have seen this phenomena reported and photographed before but it certainly gives it a certain supernatural quality set in a cemetery lol :) 

Chaldon

I don't understand, what's so special about it? Just an ordinary tree hit by a lightning. There are billions of trees burned in the same way in the forest.

• Like 1

Meridian O

Kaspar...:o

Clarakore

The one who claims to have first seen the burning tree is the prime suspect for arson. Set a fire, report it or even put it out yourself, and win a hero prize.

Athough in this case being the center of a mystery could also be the motive. But in this case...

Why didn't anyone hear the lightning strike? And what a cool story. The dog didn't seem to mind.

Edited by I hide behind words
  • Like 1

taniwha

Eerie indeed considering the tree vividly resembles a pentagram encircled by a coven of naked witches dancing upside down at 2am chanting holy scripture backwards.. :o

• Like 2