Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

MH370 'Found on Google Earth'

EBE Hybrid

Interesting. A while back I did suggest, on the PPRuNe aviation board, that the plane could conceivably have ditched more-or-less intact and then drifted submerged until fetching up near Africa, where wave action was breaking it up and scattering debris along the Indian Ocean's western coast. Which got me banned from that thread as a fantasist.

So I'd be delighted if this turned out to be MH370, but I expect it's pareidolia; much of the debris that's been recovered to date looks like it was torn loose in a shattering impact.

Later addition: another reason to doubt that's MH370 is that that's surf, implying a nearby shoreline, which ought to be littered with debris from MH370 if it were breaking up just off shore. South Africa is too populated for that to go unnoticed.

Edited by PersonFromPorlock
  • Like 3

It would have been nice if he had included the coordinates. Does anyone know them?

Thought title said  ""  Found the Good on Earth  ""

..... Was wondering where those were off to , on my head again <_< ;/

Edited by MWoo7
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

It would have been nice if he had included the coordinates. Does anyone know them?

I was wondering the same thing.  Why would the article contain the coordinates?

It looks like this story has sat on the editor's desk for a year or so - I guess the Express had too many stories about the catastrophic snow and record cold we had in the UK all winter (again!) to publish it any sooner?

ie. from the news report: 

"He added: "The Google earth photo is dated July 26 2015 and it crashed on March 8 2014. It's had 16 months of moving about."

He now fears it could have moved since the picture was taken last July."

In any case, if the remains of a large airliner had been crashing about in the surf off a beach just outside Cape Town for the past 18 months, I think someone else would have notice by now ;) 

• Like 1

Apparently... " coordinates: 34°21'21.82"S 18°28'56.02"E Click the clock icon on the tool bar and change the date to 7/26/2015. "

Also this. I've not watched/listened to it but only added it for relevance to the thread... 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, back to earth said:

Surely that banning didnt happen here  ? !  

Nope, PPRuNe; Professional Pilots Rumor Network. Some of its editors are a little arbitrary, but it's still a useful site.

MH370?  Rather than just a couple of crossing waves, maybe with a little bottom detail thrown in?

Nah, it's not a plane, for several reasons.

1. Lots and lots of people would have seen, and still be seeing it.  This is right next to the shore, and it is a popular tourist area where lots of folks walk along the top of the cliffs and look down onto this patch of water.  In calm seas and at low tide, it would stick out like .. er .. canine protuberances..  Can't help thinking that the original images were cropped so as to make it not so obvious just how visible (and popular) this location is - I suggest you use GE with the coordinates kindly provided earlier by Stiff (  34°21'21.82"S 18°28'56.02"E   ) and look at the landscape - it is obviously a tourist hotspot.

2. There is no sign of it in earlier/later images around that time.

3. I'm pretty sure the size isn't right, although I'll admit my method was a little unscientific - I might come back after I do that properly.

4. The image is quite a tilted view - when you look down on it squarely, the wings don't look to be in proportion to the fuselage length.

And then there's the issues of still being relatively intact and rather far off course..

Here's the straight down view via Google Earth (click to enlarge it).
NotMH370.jpg.2927716f11a0ec5045478b9cb44631a4.jpg
Note the clifftop access track, and all those little squares which represent just some of the many tourist photos taken at that location.. 

Imo, it's just a couple of waves crisscrossing..

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Does no-one around here recognize a plesiosaur when they see one? :rolleyes:

• Like 4

• 11 months later...

There is a part of me that wishes this to be true, if only for closure for the families etc, but until someone scouts the actual location I think it is simply down to Pareidolia, and the wave patterns / other shallow feature creating that illusion......

In all honesty I fear that the aircraft will have broken into numerous pieces and I don't think they will find a nice neat airframe sat on the seabed at this stage....