Unexplained Mysteries uses cookies. By using the site you consent to our use of cookies as per our Cookie Policy.
Close X
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Merc14

1st NASA authorization bill since 2010 passed

13 posts in this topic

Merc14

http://www.space.com/35969-house-passes-nasa-authorization-bill-2017.html?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

WASHINGTON — For the first time in nearly six and a half years, Congress has passed a NASA authorization bill with the approval of such a bill March 7 in the House of Representatives.

The House approved on a voice vote the NASA Transition Authorization Act of 2017, S.442, after a brief discussion on the House floor where no members spoke against the bill. The same bill passed the Senate by unanimous consent Feb. 17.

article continues http://www.space.com/35969-house-passes-nasa-authorization-bill-2017.html?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

Edited by Saru
Trimmed for length
  • Like 6

EBE Hybrid

It'd be fantastic if this 'gets off the ground'. I think the project will drive a lot of technological inovation. I'm genuinely interested to learn about the mission, would it be an oppotunity to take the EM Drive for a spin (I doubt it'll be ready by then but we can hope), how many launches will it take to get the logistics into orbit (seems unlikely that they'd launch from the ground to Mars, more likely launch from orbit), how big will the ship be to contain the kind of life support system, fuel and required supplies, will the mission be re-stocked by un-crewed supply ships launched before the manned phase.So amny questions

• Like 1

EBE Hybrid

I hope my last post makes sense, was commenting on "NASA ordered to send manned mission to Mars by 2033" article

geraldnewfie

lets hope that money isnt wasted and nobody gets sent to mars, we all know how gov agencies work, extra cost here, extra cost there

Troublehalf

Does this mean we'll be sending a probe to Europa to check for any potential alien life? I heard somewhere 2038 was the earliest, but that got pushed back I'm sure.

We need to confirm water is there, obviously, then send a probe to drill down to any potential liquid water. Perhaps trying other places like Ceres?

I mean, we say that water is a key ingredient for life, but we don't go checking on potential water locations in our solar system. Yeah, I get it, very very unlikely to be intelligent, but even microbial would be history making.

I hope so.

• Like 1

Merc14
1 hour ago, Troublehalf said:

Does this mean we'll be sending a probe to Europa to check for any potential alien life? I heard somewhere 2038 was the earliest, but that got pushed back I'm sure.

We need to confirm water is there, obviously, then send a probe to drill down to any potential liquid water. Perhaps trying other places like Ceres?

I mean, we say that water is a key ingredient for life, but we don't go checking on potential water locations in our solar system. Yeah, I get it, very very unlikely to be intelligent, but even microbial would be history making.

I hope so.

The official name of the $2 billion dollar mission is Europa Clipper and is scheduled to launch in the 2020's.  It will do multiple flybys of the moon to gather knowledge for the best way to develop and send a lander.   As far as water on Europa that is a given out what is the best way to land on and explore that moon?  We meed a LOT more data before sending a lander.   http://www.space.com/36003-nasa-europa-clipper-mission-official-name.html   2030's may be the time frame for a lander but you''ll get a much better look at Europa in the next decade and it should be awe inspiring.

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 3

Waspie_Dwarf
6 hours ago, Merc14 said:

The official name of the $2 billion dollar mission is Europa Clipper and is scheduled to launch in the 2020's.  It will do multiple flybys of the moon to gather knowledge for the best way to develop and send a lander.   As far as water on Europa that is a given out what is the best way to land on and explore that moon?  We meed a LOT more data before sending a lander. 

True, but there is also this potential mission: Europa Lander Concept which is what I think Troublehalf is referring to.

• Like 1

paperdyer

I'm glad NASA has a "Get to MARS by" date.  Pres. Kennedy did the same thing about the Moon and NASA made it happen.

Europa is good news as well.

• Like 2

Merc14
4 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

True, but there is also this potential mission: Europa Lander Concept which is what I think Troublehalf is referring to.

I missed that one, thanks waspie.   I hope they find a way to send a lander along.

Troublehalf
On 14/03/2017 at 1:50 AM, Merc14 said:

The official name of the $2 billion dollar mission is Europa Clipper and is scheduled to launch in the 2020's.  It will do multiple flybys of the moon to gather knowledge for the best way to develop and send a lander.   As far as water on Europa that is a given out what is the best way to land on and explore that moon?  We meed a LOT more data before sending a lander.   http://www.space.com/36003-nasa-europa-clipper-mission-official-name.html   2030's may be the time frame for a lander but you''ll get a much better look at Europa in the next decade and it should be awe inspiring.

Yup. The flyby mission was great news in itself, but it was the potential lander that Waspie_Dwarf kindly linked for me (us) that had be excited. The dates I mentioned were based on the creation of drilling tools and submersibles being available alongside detailed information on potential landing sites (if any at all) on top of the 'worth' of doing it (obviously before the larger NASA budget, they had to count the pennies on could it be justified in the public interest etc) but hopefully this can all be sped up by the (potential) more money. I hope so. I could die a happy man with confirmation alien life, no matter how basic, existed outside of Earth. A dream of many, I am sure.

On 14/03/2017 at 8:47 AM, Waspie_Dwarf said:

That's the one. Thank you. This was the one, if I remember correctly, that planned to bypass the need for advanced drilling tools by landing it near a thin enough area that they wouldn't be needed. I can't remember where I got the 2030's number from, but I seem to remember it was basically the earliest time frame predicted that the technology to drill would be available and preliminary survey to confirm beliefs and layout potential landing sites to set down a delicate, more advanced, lander.

It's all good news, lander or not. We all on this site, I assume, eagerly await any news about the unknown! On top of other interesting topics of course. Gets me excited.

• Like 1

paperdyer

I just hope the money is really there and not just stolen from some other program that's needed.  The U.S. Government has been robbing Peter to pay Paul too much in recent history.

Merc14
18 minutes ago, paperdyer said:

I just hope the money is really there and not just stolen from some other program that's needed.  The U.S. Government has been robbing Peter to pay Paul too much in recent history.

I don't think any more funding has been awarded beyond what was proposed but what this does do is guarantee NASA that money so they can plan ahead.  For the last 8 years, save the last, the US has operated without a budget and has used continuing resolutions to fund the fiscal year.  This made budget keeping very difficult and so getting guaranteed funding, no matter what happens in the upcoming budget, is a big deal to a department.  It is good news for NASA and shows the administration is in full support our space program.

• Like 1

qxcontinuum

kudos to Trump, another good reason to be in power.