Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Potatoes will grow outside on Mars

seeder

GOOD News!!

The Martian got it wrong: Study reveals potatoes would grow OUTSIDE in Martian soil in breakthrough for manned missions

CubeSat controls environment to create Mars-like day and night conditions
    Also mimics air pressure, oxygen, and carbon dioxide levels on the red planet
    Researchers brought in Mars analog soil from the Pampas de La Joya desert
    So far, the potatoes are able to sprout, with salt-tolerant breeds faring best

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4294808/Study-reveals-potatoes-grow-Mars.html#ixzz4apgOQnkf

• Like 1

I think it will take more than potatoes to get me to go there.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Frank Merton said:

But Frank...if potatoes grow outside.... so can many more plants.....

then we have a place in space....which is not the earth.... that supports life!!

• Like 2

Perhaps Terra forming is possible after all... if we could send plants that will grow... but tonnes of them.....in different locations..... well who knows the possibilities? 

• Like 1

I'll believe that when I see it. Which I guess will be never cause chances are I wont ever be able to go there.

• Like 1

I JUST READ THAT NASA CAN PUT AN ELECTROMAGNETIC SHIELD OVER MARS.

3 minutes ago, danielost said:

I JUST READ THAT NASA CAN PUT AN ELECTROMAGNETIC SHIELD OVER MARS.

DID YOU?

:lol:  No need for all the caps

Kool. To be precise, the potato sprouted.

They will have to wait a fair while to see if potatoes do actually grow.

6 minutes ago, Mr.United_Nations said:

Potatoes still grow outside of soil though

On mars?

10 minutes ago, taniwha said:

Kool. To be precise, the potato sprouted.

They will have to wait a fair while to see if potatoes do actually grow.

True, but if it sprouts, that's half the battle. That means roots are growing which means the plant finds the available nutrients sufficient to grow. Also, isn't Martian soil rather rich with water? Or am I just making that up? Is it Thursday?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, acute said:

But, where are the oceans?

There's no point in chips without fish!

Hey that's a good experiment.  Put an aquarium in the simulator and see what it takes to successfully breed fish!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

True, but if it sprouts, that's half the battle. That means roots are growing which means the plant finds the available nutrients sufficient to grow. Also, isn't Martian soil rather rich with water? Or am I just making that up? Is it Thursday?

There is always the possibility of rot.

I think it wouldn't be beyond the realms of modern tech to genetically modify an edible crop of potatoes for the Martian soil.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, taniwha said:

There is always the possibility of rot.

I think it wouldn't be beyond the realms of modern tech to genetically modify an edible crop of potatoes for the Martian soil.

as i said earlier....we could send simpler plants

which is how earth started..

Why not just send a rover to plant a few seeds over on mars. Have the Rover contain enough water to keep them watered for a few weeks/months. Then we will know for sure.

7 minutes ago, goodgodno said:

I'm no Mars expert, but I'd imagine that any moisture in the Martian soil is just been held there by the soils specific rentention i.e unable to drain under gravity.  This moisture won't be a sustainable source to grow a crop.  I think a long term water supply would still be necessary which is going to represent a huge challenge for growing crops on Mars. 

I assume the researchers watered the potatoes anyway.. 

there is moisture there....I wasnt at home for nine months due to a hospital stay,,... when I came home.....an Aloe Vera plant had doubled in size.

nobody watered it.... so how did it get so big?

1 hour ago, seeder said:

as i said earlier....we could send simpler plants

which is how earth started..

I think genetically modified to be more resistant.  Therefore more complex.

We don't have to terraform using simple plants if we already have the technology to improve past that.  And we do.

5 hours ago, Frank Merton said:

Fried potatoes? 

IF there is no current life on Mars and it is a truly dead world, then start terraforming it with the toughest, hardiest lichens and bacteria, assuming they can stand the solar radiation. Higher plants will likely not be growing outside of a shelter for a long time, given the freezing temperatures.

Edited by Sundew
spelling
  • Like 2

Remember the key phase in the article is "if give the proper nutrients"  Potatoes like sandy soil.  Potatoes would grow in sand wit the proper fertilizer.  I don't know how much oxygen potatoes need.  Trying to grow cotton would be impressive as the product you want grows above the ground not beneath it like potatoes do.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2017 at 1:28 PM, seeder said:

then we have a place in space....which is not the earth.... that supports life!!

You mean like Newport?

• Like 1

I wouldn't have thought potatoes would have enough oxygen to live, let alone grow, on Mars.

That would help a potential martian colony a lot, since they don't need to shelter the fields. It will leave more room for humans.