Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hawking warns that technology will destroy us

UM-Bot

Yes, he says a lot of things.  How is an astrophysicist qualified to make this kind of statement.  Maybe the answer to the question of is this the real Hawking would lead us down another rabbit hole that contains the deeper question as to just who's greatest advantage is it that a world government exists?

• Like 2

Frankly given the ineptitude of humans running governments and their lust for power and wealth, I'm much more worried about world government wiping out mankind. 

Last month he said aliens were going to wipe us out. 

• Like 4

The idea of a world government scares the crap out of me.  I just don't have faith in the human race. But, as much as I love technology and use my phone a lot, I can see a point in technology being a downfall to humans.  With innovations in smart phones and tablets, I have seen a huge change in society.  I have sold cell phones for the past 5 years and I have seen huge rises in what people believe  they absolutely need in cell phones.  The amount that some people use them is just unreal. I don't think they have any real human interaction.

• Like 1

The problem with Hawking's theory is that he assumes a world governement would act benevolently towards the whole world.

There'd still be the powerful and the rest, and while the rest can be controlled through technology, be it weapons of mass destruction or more subtle means, the technology WILL exist.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LV-426 said:

The problem with Hawking's theory is that he assumes a world governement would act benevolently towards the whole world.

There'd still be the powerful and the rest, and while the rest can be controlled through technology, be it weapons of mass destruction or more subtle means, the technology WILL exist.

That's how you know this is actually just the words of a patsy.  A spokesman for the would-be rulers of the planet. 

• Like 1

I feel sorry for the guy but he really does spout a load of b.s

• Like 4

As much as I respect him and admire him, I think sometimes he should stick to what he knows best.

As for a World Government, I think the EU just shows what a disaster that would be for Humanity.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, A rather obscure Bassoon said:

As much as I respect him and admire him, I think sometimes he should stick to what he knows best.

As for a World Government, I think the EU just shows what a disaster that would be for Humanity.

What about the example of the United States? Why does everyone bring up the EU when talking about world governments. Just because one crappy example of what it might look like failed you just want to throw away the entire idea? You are too focused on the possibly downsides to it, there are plenty of upsides to the idea of a world government, like the ability to more effectively regulate multinational corporations that currently exploit legal differences in governments around the world for their own gain to the detriment of people in developing nations. It could more effectively control the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction, and it could change the narrative of globalization and more effectively prevent the exploitation of the poor around the world.

Sure, there are certainly pitfalls that would need to be avoided, but the current state of the world is very dangerous as it is, I would rather try something new and fail and learn something then not do something out of fear of the consequences. We must not become too comfortable and complacent with the way things are in an ever changing dynamic world. We must react, adjust, change, and try new things if our society is going to make it through this age of rapid technological advancement, something we are failing to do.

• Like 1

Hawking may be becoming senile, and I can say that sympathetically because we're the same age; but some of his recent statements have been decidedly odd.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Einsteinium said:

What about the example of the United States? Why does everyone bring up the EU when talking about world governments. Just because one crappy example of what it might look like failed you just want to throw away the entire idea? You are too focused on the possibly downsides to it, there are plenty of upsides to the idea of a world government, like the ability to more effectively regulate multinational corporations that currently exploit legal differences in governments around the world for their own gain to the detriment of people in developing nations. It could more effectively control the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction, and it could change the narrative of globalization and more effectively prevent the exploitation of the poor around the world.

Sure, there are certainly pitfalls that would need to be avoided, but the current state of the world is very dangerous as it is, I would rather try something new and fail and learn something then not do something out of fear of the consequences. We must not become too comfortable and complacent with the way things are in an ever changing dynamic world. We must react, adjust, change, and try new things if our society is going to make it through this age of rapid technological advancement, something we are failing to do.

Imagine a worldwide Venezuela.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, PersonFromPorlock said:

Hawking may be becoming senile, and I can say that sympathetically because we're the same age; but some of his recent statements have been decidedly odd.

When he starts speaking in metaphors that's it.  Well, some geniuses do so ...so So Like I'd draw the line at speaking in tongues as I think the saying goes in the Southern bible belt of the States.  Mr. Hawking your rubber wagon chariot awaits!

Edited by MWoo7
  • Like 2

I'm not sure why all the Hawking bashing. He's just offering his thoughts.

He suggests that "some form of world government” could be ideal for the job, but would itself create more problems.

“But that might become a tyranny," he added. “All this may sound a bit doom-laden but I am an optimist. I think the human race will rise to meet these challenges.”

From the OP's link.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, PersonFromPorlock said:

Imagine a worldwide Venezuela.

World wide itchy crotch pickins? Has anyone been down there?  Certainly a lot more bugs than just in the Jungle just ask ANY DOCTOR about trying to treat patients that had visited too long.

• Like 1

People have been talking about technology the same way since the invention of fire.

I'd like to hear something original.

• Like 2

I'm reminded of a passage from the Call of Cthulhu, "The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age."

Edited by Trihalo42
bad copy paste
  • Like 2

Yes I think thats going to happen . The government loves control and the best way to take total control is through technology . Internet technology alone would pretty much shut us down. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, 3rdeyemansa24 said:

Darwinian evolution is and always has been a THEORY. This has not been proven as fact .

Sure, but I think technological evolution is a recognized fact.

• Like 2

i think technology has the possibility of destroying us but if we can contain it and be respectful of it then we should be good.

• Like 1

I think a world government would be a great idea, if it could be done effectively. I'm a fan of very large governments, after all. Unfortunately, with the world in its current state, I can't see how it would work without a massive, global change to humanity's selfish mode of operation. Which, of course, isn't going to happen.

• Like 1

According to Scripture the Book of Revelation says that before the return of Christ, the world will have a "one world government" under a man called by several names: Antichrist, The Beast, the Lawless One, the Man of Sin and so forth and it does not bode well for mankind. If I have my numbers accurately, about 3/4 of all humanity will be killed during his reign. He will make Hitler, Stalin and Mao look like choir boys. Most everyone has heard the term Armageddon, what some do not realize is that it is an actual battle to take place where the armies from all over the earth come to make war, a huge plain called Meggido within the borders of ancient Israel. 

If this is to be taken literally, it's yet another reason to fear One World Government, but also to fear technology as it likely will be a cashless society controlled by computers, perhaps with microchipping of individuals. All those technologies exist already, it's just a matter of how they can be put to use for good or evil. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 3rdeyemansa24 said:

Darwinian evolution is and always has been a THEORY. This has not been proven as fact .

The theory of gravity is just a 'theory', so is the theory of relativity.

You are confusing scientific theory with laymans definition of 'theory'

• Like 3

If Dr. Hawking feels this way, why is he helping to develop new technologies?  Same as with the "Aliens will destroy us"  Shortly after that he's working on how to get probes to planets faster to find alien life!  Almost sounds like Dr. Hawking is turning into Harvey Dent with a "Progress" side and a "doom and gloom" side.

• Like 3

Well, there's "Big Brother" world government and there's "Star Trek" world government, which one is he thinking about?

It would be nice if we'd manage to lean towards the second. 

Possibly without passing through WWIII. 

• Like 1