Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Colossal Statue of Egyptian Pharaoh Found

Claire.

Colossal Statue of Egyptian Pharaoh Discovered in Mud Pit

Archaeologists have discovered a colossal statue, possibly depicting Egyptian pharaoh Ramesses the Great, in a muddy pit in a Cairo suburb, Egypt's antiquities ministry announced today (March 9). Split in fragments, the quartzite statue was found by Egyptian and German archaeologists in the heavily populated Ain Shams and Matariya districts, where the ancient city of Heliopolis — the cult center for sun-god worship — once stood. Indeed, the statue was found in a courtyard near the ruins of the sun temple founded by Ramses II, better known as Ramesses the Great.

Read more: Live Science

• Like 8

Ramesses 1 could have been the pharaoh  of the Exodus,  since it was claimed the Hebrews worked  his  ware houses

The Bible says that the Israelites built Raamses, and since Ramesses the second, who began his rule around 1290 B.C., built a royal city named Pi-Ramesses, many just assume him to be the pharaoh of the Exodus.
       But the Bible never specifically identifies the pharaoh of the Exodus by name,

• Like 1

I'm still amazed at the detail and "professional" quality of the Egyptian statues.

• Like 2

I met a traveller from an antique land, 

Who said—“Two vast and trunkless legs of stone 

Stand in the desert. . . . Near them, on the sand, 

Half sunk a shattered visage lies, whose frown, 

And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command, 

Tell that its sculptor well those passions read 

Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things, 

The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed; 

And on the pedestal, these words appear: 

My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; 

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair! 

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay 

Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare 

The lone and level sands stretch far away.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, docyabut2 said:
The Bible says that the Israelites built Raamses, and since Ramesses the second, who began his rule around 1290 B.C., built a royal city named Pi-Ramesses, many just assume him to be the pharaoh of the Exodus.

But the Bible never specifically identifies the pharaoh of the Exodus by name,

They also said Ramses 1  may  have  also died of the plague of Moses.

• Like 1

Statue now thought to be Psamtik I, 26th dynasty, a fairly significant re-unifier of Egypt.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jon101 said:

Statue now thought to be Psamtik I, 26th dynasty, a fairly significant re-unifier of Egypt.

I was just coming to post that. There's an article on the BBC about it -

An ancient statue which was pulled from the mud in Cairo is not the Pharaoh Ramses II, but could be another king, Egypt's antiquities minister has said.

Khaled el-Anani told a news conference the statue was almost certainly Psamtek I, who ruled between 664 and 610BC.

Experts had thought the statue was Ramses, who ruled 600 years earlier, because it was close to a temple dedicated to the ruler.

But one of Psamtek's five names was found engraved on the huge statue.

Even so, the find is still significant, Mr Anani said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-39298218

• Like 4

Update ...

~

~

The mystery of this giant statue may be solved soon

March 21, 2017

An ancient colossus uncovered in Cairo last week may have depicted the famed pharaoh Psammetich I, Egypt’s antiquities ministry said on recently.

The fragments of the eight-metre (26-feet) tall quartzite statue were found by an excavation team in ground water at the site of an ancient temple for King Ramses II, now a working class district in Cairo.

But hieroglyphs on the statue’s fragments point to it having depicted Psammetich I, who ruled from 664 to 610 BC, the statement said.

Antiquities minister Khaled el-Enany told a news conference that the hieroglyphs said “Strong Arm” – one of the names of the 26th Dynasty pharaoh.

But “we don’t confirm 100 per cent that it belongs to Psammetich I” he told reporters at the Cairo Museum, where the fragments were taken.

`

~

• Like 2