Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Let's talk history

kmt_sesh

8 minutes ago, internetperson said:

Ha! 

Okay very important question and it ties into my dating life which you *******s seem to be so invested in: I watched a netflix documentary on the sphinx yesterday and there was a dr melinda hartwig (?) on it. Surely one of you is in contact with her, please give me her number. I will follow that woman to the ends of the earth. Everyone wants to marry a massage therapist or a cook but that's nonsense. I need a gal with a brain.

Melinda-Hartwig.jpg

• Like 2

23 hours ago, internetperson said:

Ha! 

Okay very important question and it ties into my dating life which you *******s seem to be so invested in: I watched a netflix documentary on the sphinx yesterday and there was a dr melinda hartwig (?) on it. Surely one of you is in contact with her, please give me her number. I will follow that woman to the ends of the earth. Everyone wants to marry a massage therapist or a cook but that's nonsense. I need a gal with a brain.

Well, last night I was at a young ladies house who invited me to dinner  ... I wouldnt normally  bother but she has a GREAT brain ! Talking away and I mentioned  some factoid  and she  ' Ooooooo ! "   gets a pen and paper and writes it down !   The later  again, she adds to it .  So I laughed and told  her about this thread , and how we joked about 'interesting facts' as 'pick up  lines ' . Then she asked what sort of things we talk about , so I told her one ... and she writes THAT down :D 

I said  , "Oh Boy, wait till I tell the guys in the  'Let's Talk History Thread  ."

" Tell them what ? "

" Tell them ;    'Guys !  I even found one that takes  notes  on 'my'     'smart and intelligent facts'  "     :D  

Could this be a change in the air ?  

*Snip*

Edited by kmt_sesh
With regrets
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, internetperson said:

Next question: What's the deal with (what I think is called) the winged sun disk? Isn't it fairly prevalent and over the top of doorways? 

because , unlike  'eastern esotericism '   where , 'the God force' is in 'being' 

In Egypt, it was considered to be 'in the going '    

:)  

Related image

....   Ohhh    ...   ( she didn't write that one down .... :(  )

• Like 1

Anyway ... be blowed with Egyptology I say , dumb subject anyway , let's move on !  

1 hour ago, Hanslune said:

Melinda-Hartwig.jpg

...    Ohhh, I say .... is that  an Egyptian 'coffin text ' on the wall behind  you ? How fascinating , gosh , tell me all  about it !   :o   

2 minutes ago, back to earth said:

....   Ohhh    ...   ( she didn't write that one down .... :(  )

you should be paying her more attention than giving updates here on the forums ...

~

*oh those guys again ... the guys this ... them guys that ... he'll probably upload pics of us having sex*

^

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTcfJy5QSEbAuQOZTlAkRX

Too late  , look up there     ^  

Q . Why do Aussie men  get sex over with in 3 minutes ? 

A. So they can rush down the pub to tell their mates about it . 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

People often think of the Egyptians as a dour and humorless people. It's not true. If you look carefully you will find humor. Yours is a good example of the animals carrying out human activities, a popular theme in ancient Egypt. Don't some people do it today by making their dogs and cats wear absurd sweaters?

a_friend_in_need.jpg

Harte

• Like 1

22 hours ago, internetperson said:

Ha! 

Funny coincidence. I was just on the phone with Dr. Hartwig this evening. I passed along your message and she's highly intrigued. She wants to meet with you at 7:00 tomorrow evening, behind the Sphinx. You already know what she looks like, so to help her recognize you, wear a pink sombrero and a pair of diving flippers. Nothing else.

Okay, so I've never met her. I'm not even very familiar with her work, other than that she is (or was?) with Georgia State University and specializes in ancient Near Eastern art.

Well, I just paused to look up some information about her and right now she's working on a book about the tomb of Menna (TT69) in the Theban necropolis. I would like to read that one.

Anyway, she's a professor, so my advice to you is to enroll in one of her classes and sit in the front row. Wearing a pink sombrero and a pair of diving flippers. And nothing else. That should get her attention. :wub:

Postscript: I totally understand your attraction to a keen mind. That's a must. Myself? I've always been partial to the Pakistani Egyptologist Salima Ikram.

• Like 4

I have a question with which I could use help. I'm often asked this at the museum and I simply don't know. The question is, how many Egyptian mummies are there around the world now?

Years ago I happened across a university website that was trying to start a census on this very question, but subsequent searches have led me nowhere. I wonder if that project was discontinued? Many museums don't really publicly state how many mummies they have, if any. I'm talking about Egyptian mummies only, now. I know we have forty at the Field Museum; the Oriental Institute in Chicago has perhaps five or six; the British Museum records 80 Egyptian mummies and 40 Sudanese (ancient Nubian) mummies.

But I have no idea how many might be in universities and museums around the world today, and it's not only a common question but a good one. I just spent about half an hour doing web searches, but I'm not very good at this so I'm hoping one of you might find better information.

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 0:32 AM, kmt_sesh said:

I don't think I found the video you're looking for but I came across this one on YouTube. It's an old interview with Hawass in which he discusses the subject of "germs" in tombs. He talks about many archaeologists in the old days dying from contamination, but that is merely a typical Hawass exaggeration. I know Egyptologists, have worked with them, have been studying their excavation reports and reading their books for over thirty years, and I've never heard of anyone actually dying from "germs." The fact is, snakes and scorpions are a lot more dangerous. Germs would refer to organisms that can cause or cause diseases, but that's not terribly likely. Whatever germs were on or in a mummy are now as dead as the mummy itself. Mold is another matter, however.

If you saw a documentary or special in which an Egyptologist was discussing pyramids, it's altogether possible it was Lehner. He is one of the leading experts on them and is in charge of the Giza Plateau Mapping Project. Lehner has a large body of literature and papers, and many of them are available online. He is fantastic.

The winged sun disk is a sun disk with wings.

Ha! Ain't I hilarious?

It's a powerful solar symbol in ancient Egypt and represents both royalty and divinity. The two were tightly interwoven in the ancient mind. In one sense it represents Re, the sun god, symbolic of eternal life and resurrection, but it also represents the winged falcon god Horus. I'm trying to remember but I believe the winged sun disk often represents the manifestation Horus of Edfu, known as Behedet. It can also represent the god Re-Horakhty (Re and Horus combined). Due to its connotations with life and resurrection it was a common motif in tombs and on jewelry. Yes, you often see it on the lintels above doorways in tombs and temples.

The symbol became popular elsewhere in the Near East, particularly Mesopotamia and Persia. I always think of this church that's on a round-about way to work, so I don't go that way very often. But whatever religion this church is, outside on their sign out front they have a beautiful winged sun disk.

Odd though it may seem I've never been terribly interested in Sumer, so I haven't studied that civilization as carefully as I have Egypt. I'm more familiar with the very beginnings of the Sumerians, such as their writing and city-states. But I'm not the only one who can answer questions here, so if you're wondering something, please do ask!

quote- If you saw a documentary or special in which an Egyptologist was discussing pyramids, it's altogether possible it was Lehner. He is one of the leading experts on them and is in charge of the Giza Plateau Mapping Project. Lehner has a large body of literature and papers, and many of them are available online. He is fantastic.

He is :) Lehner was frist a member of the ARE the Edgar Cayce foundation, sent out to examined the readings and turned to more of the Egyptian  ways,   its how I found out that Edgar Cayce  visions were more of what he had read in books

1 hour ago, kmt_sesh said:

I have a question with which I could use help. I'm often asked this at the museum and I simply don't know. The question is, how many Egyptian mummies are there around the world now?

Years ago I happened across a university website that was trying to start a census on this very question, but subsequent searches have led me nowhere. I wonder if that project was discontinued? Many museums don't really publicly state how many mummies they have, if any. I'm talking about Egyptian mummies only, now. I know we have forty at the Field Museum; the Oriental Institute in Chicago has perhaps five or six; the British Museum records 80 Egyptian mummies and 40 Sudanese (ancient Nubian) mummies.

But I have no idea how many might be in universities and museums around the world today, and it's not only a common question but a good one. I just spent about half an hour doing web searches, but I'm not very good at this so I'm hoping one of you might find better information.

I know of 1 child mummy in the Museum of Anthropology at UBC.  My daughter's class slept in the same room with it on a school trip.  That is the only one I have seen personally.

FB_IMG_1490586266585.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kmt_sesh said:

Years ago I saw this same question asked and discussed. No one had any set numbers. The guestimate was about 2,500 Egyptian mummies in museums around the world and 500-1000? in private collections with another 100-200 having been destroyed during WWII & I. Might have been on usenet. It was part of a larger discussion on how many Sumerian skeletons existed.(not a lot)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

There are many Egyptian  mummies all over the world . We have one at the Toledo Ohio art museum, that has been there for years since I`ve been a kid I`m now 74 and I still don't think they know who this mummy really was :)

Toledo: The Toledo Museum of Art has at least one mummy. Long thought to be the mummy of a woman who lived during the 26th Dynasty, the mummy was recently discovered to belong to a man (perhaps a priest) who died during the Third Intermediate Period (approximately 800 B.C.).

Edited by docyabut2

4 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

There are many Egyptian  mummies all over the world . We have one at the Toledo Ohio art museum, that has been there for years since I`ve been a kid I`m now 74 and they still don't know who this mummy is.

Go Rockets! 

I just remember as a child going on field trips to the museum to see this mummy ,and always wondered who this mummy  was in history. I still don't think they got it right  (perhaps a priest they are guessing) and at what era? It could be Akhenaten the missing mummy :lol:

Edited by docyabut2

11 hours ago, Hanslune said:

Years ago I saw this same question asked and discussed. No one had any set numbers. The guestimate was about 2,500 Egyptian mummies in museums around the world and 500-1000? in private collections with another 100-200 having been destroyed during WWII & I. Might have been on usenet. It was part of a larger discussion on how many Sumerian skeletons existed.(not a lot)

There were enough of them at one time that they supposedly used them as fuel on the Egyptian railroad. Then there's all the ones rendered to make Mummia for the apothecary trade.

21 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

There are many Egyptian  mummies all over the world . We have one at the Toledo Ohio art museum, that has been there for years since I`ve been a kid I`m now 74 and I still don't think they know who this mummy really was :)

Toledo: The Toledo Museum of Art has at least one mummy. Long thought to be the mummy of a woman who lived during the 26th Dynasty, the mummy was recently discovered to belong to a man (perhaps a priest) who died during the Third Intermediate Period (approximately 800 B.C.).

All right, docy, you have me intrigued. I've never been to the Toledo Museum of Art but have heard about it, and it sounds like the Egyptian collection is very nice. Doing some reading online, I was able to learn that museum has two mummies, one of a young priest and another of an elderly man.

Was the mummy you remember in this coffin? Stylistically it's Late Period and probably Dynasty 26. It's identified as the coffin of Ta-Mit, who was from a family of hereditary priests. The Toledo museum does have this mummy, so this must be the young priest. Try as I might, however, I can't find a single photo of either of the Toledo mummies.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can anyone who's better at searching the web than I am, track down photos of one of both of these mummies in Toledo?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not surprised the mummy left such an impression on you, docy. I meet plenty of people your age (and considerably older) who visited our exhibit at the Field thirty or more years ago and yet vividly remember our mummies. They tend to stick in your memory. Mummies are compelling.

Of the many occupied coffins we have on display in our exhibit, one is of a man's coffin with a woman's body and the other is a woman's coffin with a man's body. It happens. This was often the result of shady antiquities deals a hundred years ago. I don't know how Toledo acquired its Egyptian antiquities but it was probably similar to how we did it at the Field: starting back in the nineteenth century our founders traveled to Egypt and spent years going to auctions in the cities. We bought almost all of our stuff, and I'm willing to bet it's similar to what Toledo did. Back then, if an antiquities dealer had an empty coffin and a random mummy, he might put them together to fetch more money for them at auction. It took modern imaging technology (X-rays, CT scans) and a better understanding of forensic anthropology to identify most mummies' genders with certainty.

Anyway, it sounds like a very nice collection there, docy. I think you should head over this weekend and relive your childhood. :D

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Hanslune said:

That's helpful, Hanslune. Many thanks. Usenet is before my time in internet activeness but I've heard about it. I'm wondering, do you remember how those figures were arrived at? What sources of information were the posters using? A figure of 2,500 could be about accurate, although I'd be surprised if the number isn't higher. Talking about mummies, the number for private collections seems high to me. I'm not even sure why, it just does. Maybe this includes coffins without mummies, or other related antiquities?

I'm not too concerned with the number that were destroyed through time, because I personally don't think it would be possible to affect an accurate assessment. Disregarding mummies destroyed by ancient tomb robbers and those that simply fell into decay through time, hundreds upon hundreds were unwrapped in the nineteenth and early twentieth century in Egypt, Europe, and the United States for museum research or simply for entertainment.

Heads up, everyone. I decided to make a new thread out of my mummy question, so if anyone is interested in participating, please check it out:

The mummy census

I'd appreciate any help you can offer.

9 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

Can anyone who's better at searching the web than I am, track down photos of one of both of these mummies in Toledo?

I'm doing a bit of digging but it's not looking good chief. Anyway, you see this?

Okay so not a pic but this may be helpful:

"Indeed, it would be fascinating to hear what a pair of mummies who have spent the last 104 years in Toledo might utter on the subject, were they utterable types. Recently rolled out of the vaults, they're headliners for The Egypt Experience: Secrets of the Tomb, in a new, labyrinthine space at the Toledo Museum of Art.

"People keep saying ‘Where are the mummies?' What they really mean is ‘Tell me about the ancient Egyptians.' They want to know the whole story," said Sandra Knudsen, creator of the exhibit and the museum's associate curator of ancient art.

The first peek at the mummies (especially the partially unwrapped one with its exposed brown, leathery skin), often elicits an "ewww!" followed by questions: Who is it, male or female? How old were they, what did they do?

(Note: The leathery mummy is in a high-sided case that can't be seen by people less than about 36-inches tall, giving parents an option of whether to show young children.)

------------------------------------

Toledo's second mummy is here: He was a Roman living in Egypt in the 1st century. Also dating to the time of Christ is a large linen shroud, painted with the image of a woman in a red dress." http://www.toledoblade.com/Art/2010/10/31/Secrets-of-the-Tomb-Toledo-s-mummies-star-in-new-museum-exhibit.html

Also saw this on google image while searching:

06d165a6c3e7799e063a8ed81ad7a7d7.jpg

Early Clinton?

Edited by internetperson

Anybody interested in discussing more modern history? I'm looking for info on the American Old West (1860's-1890's).

• This topic was locked and unlocked
  • This topic was locked and unlocked