Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Let's talk history

kmt_sesh

6 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

Whew. Thank you, Lucid. A question actually unrelated to sausages. How did we start the sausage obsession, anyway? Who's to blame?

Dr. Carson's odd belief is not befitting an educated professional in the twenty-first century. It's more appropriate to medieval times. I don't decry anyone's religious beliefs, but when you're a neurosurgeon and running for the most powerful office on earth...please, just shut up! 

(That's for Carson. Not you, Lucid.)

This is something many Christians believed a very long time ago. It ultimately comes from the biblical story of Joseph, who found favor in the court of a pharaoh. It happens to be a very entertaining story but there really is no truth to it. We know better now. Goodness knows why Dr. Carson would promote this yarn and still expect to be taken seriously, except perhaps by the nut jobs in the religious right. And look, in the end he didn't win the presidency. Well, it ended up going to an angry orange toddler with equally questionable credibility.

No more sausage talk, right, folks? 

It's a good example of why you should take people seriously only when they are talking about their specific fields. I have no doubt Carson is a great surgeon, certainly he has the reputation. 
 If he told me my thingdoodle was all twisted around my whatsit and needed an immediate transpacificstantion procedure I'd listen.

On history and government? I'd go to someone else. 

Ancient sausage recipe: 
 http://www.coquinaria.nl/english/recipes/12.4histrecipe.html

On 7/13/2017 at 8:08 PM, kmt_sesh said:

You and BTE have sausage on the brain.

But pickled grasshoppers?

Speaking of pickled grasshoppers an informant has sent me this image of your transportation outside the OI.

Classy I must say!

3greEQO.jpg

Edited by Hanslune
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Black Monk said:

5966857d99487_1904recipeforbloodsausage.jpg.0047e4a752208e4c69d6a78890af0f6d.jpg

Delicious. Sounds similar to good old black pudding.

Upon the discussion of sausage,

Addressing the topic of causage.

To the latter I'll plead

But we are all agreed

To defer to our kmt_sesh's bossage.

Harte

• Like 6

On 7/11/2017 at 3:04 AM, back to earth said:

You never know ...  thats the  elevator for the Australian Museum !

What's on at the museum ;   Join the Asaro Mud Men for mask-making demonstrations.

Asaro Mud Men of Papua New Guinea

https://australianmuseum.net.au/image/asaro-mud-men-of-papua-new-guinea

Front guy looks like Danny glover and the guy behind him, in front of the guy on far right looks like Sammy Sosa before he turned his skin pink. Lol.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hanslune said:

Speaking of pickled grasshoppers an informant has sent me this image of your transportation outside the OI.

Classy I must say!

3greEQO.jpg

It's manual transmission but comfortable, so long as at slow speeds. I think that was when I was out of gas there.

This is actually a dandy mode of transportation, but you have to remember to bring the pooper-scooper.

• Like 1

Ok I have a question. Why did humans ever begin to drink fresh milk? While the research I have read nicely explains the spread of thie lactose tolerant mutation among agricultural and pastoral societies, it does not explain the consumption of fresh milk in the first place. Here is my reasoning:

The first evidence for the consumption of dairy products is that of cheese. This is because the earliest farmers, according to scientists, were lactose intolerant. Cheese making breaks down the lactose in milk meaning that it is safe for the lactose intolerant (mostly) and preserves milk. Early dairy consumption also includes fermented milk products.

The first step in making cheese is to sour the milk. I did some research and I discovered that sour milk is reasonably safe for lactose intolerant people to drink.

So you are hungry, thirsty adult Neolithic farmer/pastoralist staring at a vessel of raw milk, which you know will likely give you stomach cramps, and even possibly vomiting and diarrhea. 

You also have a safe vessel of sour or fermented milk you can drink.

Which do you choose?

So what am I missing from the equation?

32 minutes ago, Tinfoil hat said:

Ok I have a question. Why did humans ever begin to drink fresh milk? While the research I have read nicely explains the spread of thie lactose tolerant mutation among agricultural and pastoral societies, it does not explain the consumption of fresh milk in the first place. Here is my reasoning:

The first evidence for the consumption of dairy products is that of cheese. This is because the earliest farmers, according to scientists, were lactose intolerant. Cheese making breaks down the lactose in milk meaning that it is safe for the lactose intolerant (mostly) and preserves milk. Early dairy consumption also includes fermented milk products.

The first step in making cheese is to sour the milk. I did some research and I discovered that sour milk is reasonably safe for lactose intolerant people to drink.

So you are hungry, thirsty adult Neolithic farmer/pastoralist staring at a vessel of raw milk, which you know will likely give you stomach cramps, and even possibly vomiting and diarrhea. 

You also have a safe vessel of sour or fermented milk you can drink.

Which do you choose?

So what am I missing from the equation?

We as mammals begin by drinking fresh milk from our mothers it's rather part of our culture even today.

• Like 2

My brother and I were raised on wolf milk 

Image result for romulus and remus story

Its low in lactose . 

• Like 2

Just now, back to earth said:

Its low in lactose . 

Cool. Can I have some?

Delivery pending  in your area soon 

Image result for fury road milk truck

( Hoooo boy !   Do I have some stories about that truck     ..... naughty camera crew took for a mad drive through the desert and .....  shhhh  ) 

Who is a naughty boy then !   ;)  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, back to earth said:

Who is a naughty boy then !   ;)  

Considering it looks like the clothing for four of the five wives are hanging off of the truck and the camera guys seem to be filming I would say back to earth is a lucky naughty boy...:P

(Not me !  thats a rigger for a stabilising camera head  ) 

Oooo much better than that   ...    lets just say, that when a film crew is drinking in a bar in Namibia, they should not p*** off a local gang of undercover neo-natzis working as a 'mining area keep out '  security team , with a leader who is  Martin Bormann's grand nephew. 

And conversely , the 'security company'   should not pile into a  military style hummer and go out into the desert to hassle said film crew ... when  the crew  have access to a truck with a ' hummer catcher' on the front and active flame throwers mounted on the roof   ;) 

Image result for reverse  gear

• Like 1

more 'recent history ' ;

.. and also , 'film crew members' might be exposed to some covered up history, when their 'local ' Namibian  driver  takes you into a 'restricted  area'  to show you the sights , after you didnt believe him that the  'post justice' of WWII never came to Namibia and  thought all the Natzis hid out in South Amercia and th US rocket programme ; 

( hint ... diamonds  ! ... gold !  .....   minerals !     everywhere !  ) 

I. e.   a  different part (and reason for )   the  ' Skeleton Coast '  ; 

Inland ; 

Related image

... in that place ... everywhere ! 

as opposed to this reason for the name originally 

d1f19bd66e3b90c8aaef33e911fc8a23.jpg

It started pre WWI and most assumed it ended before , or at least after WWII .

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/brutal-genocide-colonial-africa-finally-gets-its-deserved-recognition-180957073/

( PS  some of the crew were so upset by conditions there, they paid the local 'helpers' more , out of their own pockets ,  and some still offer them support today .  But it makes them nervous , if their 'bosses' find out , big trouble !   .... yet, who knows what the real budget  was ?   .... on  'lesser' movies    (although equally as 'silly' )  eg.  'Scoobie-doo '  shot in Queensland  -  $98 mill .   !     for a cartoon dog movie !  ... ans then they took away the  crew biscuits supplied with coffee as it was "costing too much "   :D   ) 

Hmmm got me curious now  .... < googles>  ... 

Fury Road budget -  $US 150 MILL .

Edited by back to earth
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Hanslune said:

Nice article and interesting read. Keep it handy for the next pie-eyed fringey who insists Göbekli Tepe was a Neolithic super-civilization of advanced agriculture and animal husbandry. The article clearly points out it wasn't and explains the evidence against it quite well, so I suppose the next fringey who comes along will explore the "I no see!" option.

On 7/17/2017 at 4:10 PM, back to earth said:

Its low in lactose . 

Lotta people got their two cents (sestertii?) about that sculpture. Some people think it's ancient. Some people think it's Carolingian. The two sucklings there are Early Modern.

--Jaylemurph

It' s  a work of our creator        

( Rodin )     :) 

9 hours ago, back to earth said:

It' s  a work of our creator       

( Rodin )     :) 

Really?

latest?cb=20091208160432

Harte

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Harte said:

Really?

latest?cb=20091208160432

Harte

That's Rodan, with an a. I think BTE is talking about Billy Bob Rodin, a Walmart greeter in Possumneck, Mississippi.

• Like 1

< sigh >  ... why do I put up with this ....  < thinks >

Image result for auguste rodin with the thinker

I thought it was a rather August pun myself  !

....  oh stuff that !  Cummere you 

Image result for auguste rodin with the thinker

Image result for auguste rodin

" I do not approve of such frivolity . "

• Like 4

On July 7, 2017 at 11:36 PM, Jarocal said:

The Cabal (according to some fringe theory proponents) is the shadowy group pulling the strings of Orthodox Academia and actively involved in suppressing knowledge trying to be shared by alternative theorists. 

Wow. I clearly wasn't paying attention in graduate school. I must have missed this while I was busy discussing the many different points of view on on the same issue.  

It does explain something that the archaeologists told my niece last summer when she was working on a dig: "Ten archaeologists equaleleven opinions."

The 11th opinion must that of the Cabal. It does seem, however, that somewhere in the world, there are at least 10 archaeologists willing to argue with the Cabal. 

Q; How many archaeologists does it take to turn an opinion ? 

17 minutes ago, back to earth said:

Q; How many archaeologists does it take to turn an opinion ? 

Depends on who's opinion. A legion of them cannot sway Clad or Mario.

• Like 3

On 7/20/2017 at 10:41 AM, Hanslune said:

A key part of the study above - the last few lines of the conclusion:

Repetitive feasting at Göbekli Tepe may have played an essential role not only in creating and strengthening social bonds among the individuals and groups meeting there, but must also have stressed the economic potential of these hunter-gatherers to repeatedly feed such large crowds. In response to this pressure, new food resources and processing techniques may have been explored, subsequently paving the way for a complete change in subsistence strategy. In this scenario, the early appearance of monumental religious architecture motivating work feasts to draw as many hands as possible for the execution of complex, collective tasks is changing our understanding of one of the key moments in human history: the emergence of agriculture and animal husbandry – and the onset of food production and the Neolithic way of live.

13_cultic-community.jpg

The image/map above shows the known sites that used similar technology and where GT fitted in.

Edited by Hanslune
  • Like 2

On 7/14/2017 at 1:08 PM, kmt_sesh said:

You and BTE have sausage on the brain.

Stop that ... dogs can be handy   eg 

here are your slippers  Boss   ( I stole them from another site ) 

Click the image to open in full size.

• This topic was locked and unlocked
  • This topic was locked and unlocked