Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Let's talk history

kmt_sesh

On ‎09‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 5:56 PM, Khaemwaset said:

Evidence of volcanic activity/climate change having impact on AE during Ptolemaic period:

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/10/volcanoes-may-have-triggered-riots-ancient-egypt

An impact is fair but people who propound these sorts of theories tend to pitch them as definitive answers.  "We have found the cause of the downfall of x...".  For the most part I think human societies are pretty resilient to climatic events, except those who are already precarious such as the Greenland Vikings, Easter Island, etc.  Unless the volcano stopped the annual Nile floods, or significantly interfered with them then it is probably minor.  Also remember the Ptolemies were based in Alexandria on the coast so they had the moderating influence of the Mediterranean to mitigate any direct impact on the royal family.  The Ptolemies just became a sequence of fairly weak rulers, who Hellenistic model was superseded by the Romans and eventually overwhelmed by the sheer power of Rome.

• Like 3

I'm now sorry I posted this item.  All I can say is that although it is surely overly simplistic to say the AE empire collapsed because of far away volcanoes, nevertheless - having studied Meteorology and Vulcanism long ago - it is IMO incorrect to dismiss the impact of super or cluster volcanoes on meta-climactic conditions and various societies, even those seemingly distant from the eruption.  The study noted in the article gives evidence of such a climactic impact on the agricultural productivity of AE and especially the Delta region at the time, which would have had manifold repercussions for the state and society.  No, not downfall, I agree, but a heretofore unrecognized impact,

Edited by Khaemwaset
  • Like 3

https://keithhamilton.academia.edu/research

A detailed guide for Mastaba 17

From the hall of ma'at

Mastaba 17 guide
Posted by: waggy (IP Logged)
Date: November 22, 2017 02:51AM

Hi all,
I have just posted up a guide on mastaba 17 that some may find of interest.
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Hanslune said:

A detailed guide for Mastaba 17

From the hall of ma'at

Mastaba 17 guide
Posted by: waggy (IP Logged)
Date: November 22, 2017 02:51AM

Hi all,
I have just posted up a guide on mastaba 17 that some may find of interest.

Pffft, Egypt could never possibly interest me. Right?

Actually I sat down planning just to skim the PDF and ended up reading the whole thing. I've read quite a bit about Mastaba 17 because it's an important one, but this report ids very detailed. Perhaps a bit too detailed in some respects, and I'd rather have all of the measurements in inches or metric (not cubits), but those are my only criticisms. The photos and graphics are fantastic. I especially enjoyed the tomb-plan graphics the author created.

The mummification is of a very old style; you don't see defleshing of the remains by later in the Old Kingdom. The practice goes back to predynastic times. I keep forgetting the fantastic sarcophagus in this mastaba, which well predates Khufu's. And some of those roofing beams are enormous. It's a pity we can't know for whom the mastaba was built, and probably never will.

Rupert, perhaps?

I went to the Isida Project website and found a good video (see this page). The text in the video is in Russian but the scenes are worth watching. That's a big mastaba.

• Like 1

*SIGH* Where are all the Burlington Brain Fart/ Frank Collin/ Barry Fell "Ancient America" crackpots. I've been hovering since I got back and grow weary. .......SWEDE.....GIVE ME SOMETHING!!!!! THE DOC SAYS I NEED TO DO "BRAIN UPS"

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

Actually I sat down planning just to skim the PDF and ended up reading the whole thing. I've read quite a bit about Mastaba 17 because it's an important one, but this report ids very detailed. Perhaps a bit too detailed in some respects, and I'd rather have all of the measurements in inches or metric (not cubits), but those are my only criticisms. The photos and graphics are fantastic. I especially enjoyed the tomb-plan graphics the author created.

The mummification is of a very old style; you don't see defleshing of the remains by later in the Old Kingdom. The practice goes back to predynastic times. I keep forgetting the fantastic sarcophagus in this mastaba, which well predates Khufu's. And some of those roofing beams are enormous. It's a pity we can't know for whom the mastaba was built, and probably never will.

Rupert, perhaps?

I went to the Isida Project website and found a good video (see this page). The text in the video is in Russian but the scenes are worth watching. That's a big mastaba.

Yeah, the Isida Project videos are terrific. 

27 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

Rupert, perhaps?

Sorry Rupert doesn't know. While he did get around a lot he said that place was on the wrong side of the plowed fields.

The same fellow has done a number of other walk thru's on Egyptian tombs and other features

Edited by Hanslune
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Piney said:

*SIGH* Where are all the Burlington Brain Fart/ Frank Collin/ Barry Fell "Ancient America" crackpots. I've been hovering since I got back and grow weary. .......SWEDE.....GIVE ME SOMETHING!!!!! THE DOC SAYS I NEED TO DO "BRAIN UPS"

Do a stroll through ATS or Graham Hancock, Icke or Crystalinks invite one here

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hanslune said:

Do a stroll through ATS or Graham Hancock, Icke or Crystalinks invite one here

I need fresh blood. That's old dry meat.....*sigh*  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Piney said:

I need fresh blood. That's old dry meat.....*sigh*  

Ah well ask Essan to go into his special secret theory about how how we are all really dead and this forum is actually pre-entry hell.

• Like 2

Just now, Hanslune said:

Ah well ask Essan to go into his special secret theory about how how we are all really dead and this forum is actually pre-entry hell.

That's no theory. I reappeared here right after a stroke.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Piney said:

Oh no I showed up here after eating at Olive Garden.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Piney said:

20 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

Now you folks know the truth. You weren't supposed to realize this so soon after expiring. All of the fringies posting ridiculous ideas are actually deranged demons sent to torment us.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

The only authentic Italian restaurant  where you pay someone to microwave a frozen dinner for you

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Piney said:

The only authentic Italian restaurant  where you pay someone to microwave a frozen dinner for you

Well, that's pretty much my system of "Italian cooking."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kmt_sesh said:

Now you folks know the truth. You weren't supposed to realize this so soon after expiring. All of the fringies posting ridiculous ideas are actually deranged demons sent to torment us.

Torment? Well I did get a stitch in my side from laughing to much a few times.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hanslune said:

...I was pretty sure hell was working retail 'round about this time of year, but this makes sense to me, too, if only to explain the prevalence of "OMG Lost Colony of Roanoke is totes unsolvable" threads. Although I always assumed there'd be more frat boys in hell.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 3

A Jason Colavito reviews: The Gods never left us by Erich Von Daniken a 'sequel' to his Chariots of the Gods..... EVD is part of history - he was partially involved in the explosion of the 'aliens did it' meme from the 1960's.

http://www.jasoncolavito.com/blog/review-of-the-gods-never-left-us-by-erich-von-daniken

The Gods Never Left Us is a typical example of late-period EVD. It is a rambling, disconnected series of claims, most recycled from earlier books, with heavy doses of EVD’s social conservatism. It is not a good book, or even much of a book. As a sequel to Chariots of the Gods, it is an utter failure, lacking even a quarter of the argument, analysis, or originality of the original—which is sad since Chariots was a collection of recycled claims from other authors wrapped in a bad argument given a gloss of entertainment by a former Nazi propagandist. EVD’s glimmers of self-awareness about the weaknesses of his recent books are an improvement, but the lack of follow through on the promise of originality marks it as just another false claim in a career full of them.

Quick question for KmT.

Since you enjoyed 1177 by Eric H Cline, have you perused his new release

Three Stones Make a Wall

The Story of Archaeology

On 11/22/2017 at 10:01 PM, kmt_sesh said:

Does it count if you enjoy it? 

On 11/26/2017 at 11:18 AM, Hanslune said:

A Jason Colavito reviews: The Gods never left us by Erich Von Daniken a 'sequel' to his Chariots of the Gods..... EVD is part of history - he was partially involved in the explosion of the 'aliens did it' meme from the 1960's.

http://www.jasoncolavito.com/blog/review-of-the-gods-never-left-us-by-erich-von-daniken

Archy Fantasies touched on this in the new episode. As well as the effect of publish or die on public science writing.which helped lead to the explosion. 

46 minutes ago, Jarocal said:

Quick question for KmT.

Three Stones Make a Wall

The Story of Archaeology

Oh speaking of, he's done a few talks based on it that are up on YouTube. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jarocal said:

Quick question for KmT.

Three Stones Make a Wall

The Story of Archaeology

Haven't read it yet but would like to.

On 11/22/2017 at 8:51 PM, Khaemwaset said:

Yeah, the Isida Project videos are terrific. 

Neither here nor there, but this post was Khaemwaset's very last in this thread. He contributed a lot to this thread. His last post at UM was in the Moses thread on Thanksgiving morning.

Rest in peace, my friend. You made a difference.

• Like 9

Some different kind of mummies for kmt_Sesh

Fig-3.jpg

https://blog.britishmuseum.org/mummies-and-log-houses-of-the-dead-scythian-life-and-death/

We know the Scythians were skilled at mummification processes from the evidence apparent in the bodies of those buried in the spectacular royal tombs at Pazyryk in the Altai region of southern Siberia. These individuals had been trepanned, disembowelled and, in some cases, had soft tissues removed from various parts of the body. Evidence of coarse stitching is still visible in the mummies

Fig-5.jpg

• Like 2

• This topic was locked and unlocked
  • This topic was locked and unlocked