Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Let's talk history

kmt_sesh

I have to say that I have seen few things more mind-destroying ...

The insert was a welcome relief ... except of course it was of Frodo, not Bilbo (who IIRC was doddering away in Rivendell at the time).

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Harte said:

Most recent excuse I could find to post this video:

Harte

JESUS BOLLOCKING CHRIST NO.....

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

JESUS BOLLOCKING CHRIST NO.....

:rofl:

And if you all enjoyed that, you're gonna LOOOOOOOOOOOVE this... :devil:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Harte

• Like 2

I think its clear why the original Star Trek wasn't made as a musical. :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

Can... can someone over 40 explain what the hell I just watched?

Leonard's deepest regret. :o

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

I think its clear why the original Star Trek wasn't made as a musical. :rolleyes:

Just think what Mel Brooks could have done with it, though!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

And if you all enjoyed that, you're gonna LOOOOOOOOOOOVE this... :devil:

I was thinking this should have been sung over a beer or two or perhaps something harder... 4:08 confirmed it for me!

• Like 2

Oh, please, people. Show some mercy! Put an end to these horrid videos. This is supposed to be a thread about history talk.

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

Oh, please, people. Show some mercy! Put an end to these horrid videos. This is supposed to be a thread about history talk.

But, but, these ARE hysterical, er, I mean historical! 

I'm betting that to some of our fellow forumites, this is ancient history.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

Back on topic!  :ph34r::whistle::innocent:

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

I’d like to see you hit some of those notes when you’re her age!

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

I’ll have you know every single one of those videos was made in the past! History!

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 4

My favorite ancient history is the Indian subcontinent and neighbouring countries, which over thousands of years harbored religions such as Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism and Sikkhism, often at the same time in one place. I have spent plenty of research time over the past few years and would be happy to provide some answers to this thread where ever I can.

Missed this from later last year:  

2400 y.o. Ancient Greek shipwreck found nearly intact in Black Sea (Oct. 2018):   https://www.nationalgeographic.com/culture/2018/10/black-sea-shipwreck-archaeology-map/

While older intact sailing vessels have been recovered from Egyptian burial sites on land, it is unusual for submerged ancient wrecks to be preserved so well. The unique preservation of the 2,400-year-old ship is due to the unusual water chemistry of the Black Sea and the lack of oxygen below 600 feet.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 1/18/2019 at 12:49 PM, The Wistman said:

Missed this from later last year:  

2400 y.o. Ancient Greek shipwreck found nearly intact in Black Sea (Oct. 2018):   https://www.nationalgeographic.com/culture/2018/10/black-sea-shipwreck-archaeology-map/

Now that is cool. Maritime archaeology is so interesting.

3 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

ok many ships are found but has nothing to the story of Atlantis:)

Nor does this thread. Atlantis is not real history.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

Nor does this thread. Atlantis is not real history.

Not even if it involves Greenland ? :innocent:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Not even if it involves Greenland ? :innocent:

I will restrain you and drop you into the middle of Sweden!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

A few items.

Lake Babine First Nations in British Columbia have had their oral history confirmed by archaeologists working in the Lake Babine region, which was previously neither explored nor investigated.  The tribe had requested this investigation by the University of Northern British Columbia back in 2010 to confirm their oral history which had become fragmented post-contact.  Now, remnants of large villages dating back 1300 years are revealed along with installations of sophisticated fishing weirs, used to contain the sockeye salmon which were a food staple for the indigenous population.  (Jan. 27, 2019)  https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/lake-babine-archeology-1.4991792

Ancient marble quarries of Karystos, on the Greek island of Euboea, have been found while constructing a new road to a wind farm project.  Along with carved blocks, some significant marble columns have been found in situ still within the quarries.   Karystos marble, noted by Strabo, provided the material for the fashioning of many of Ancient Greece and Rome's most impressive columns, some of which are still extant inside their host buildings.  (Jan. 27, 2019)  https://www.tornosnews.gr/en/greek-news/culture/34271-three-ancient-quarries-discovered-in-karystos-south-evia-during-installation-of-wind-parks.html

Second Intermediate Period tombs found in Nile Delta.  The tombs, dating to 1780-1570 bce, were found along with 20 nearby burial sites dating to the predynastic period, containing stone artifacts and poorly preserved remains. (Jan. 23, 2019)  Graves of such antiquity are not commonly found in the Delta region, but parallel the find last year (2018) of the Delta region predynastic village at Tell el-Samarra, which was dated to 5000 bce. https://archaeologynewsnetwork.blogspot.com/2019/01/archaeologists-find-second-intermediate.html  and  https://www.dw.com/en/egypt-village-discovered-in-nile-delta-predated-pharaohs/a-45327444

also from AE:  Decorated Roman era tombs found at the Dakhia oasis in the Western Desert.  They were made of mud brick but of differing styles of construction, and contained human remains as well as pottery fragments. (Jan. 15, 2019) https://phys.org/news/2019-01-archaeologists-rome-era-tombs-egypt-western.html#nRlv

5c546130aa8c1_Dakhiaoasistomb.jpg.ca383a67ae5fcdbbec681041dfb86014.jpg

(photo: Egyptian Antiquities Authority)

Guatamalan Maya 'tomb' turns out to be ritual steam bath, say archaeologists.  (Jan. 14, 2019)   https://www.livescience.com/64495-ancient-maya-steam-bath.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Have anyone watched Blowing Up History on the Discovery Channel? 

It started off fine, just facts and presenting these epic human made structures. Mid way through the second season it started to get out if hand and turn into ancient aliens. I was very disappointed. 

Also another question guys.

I've been listening to Dan Carlin's History Podcast, what is people's opinions on it. Its very good to listen to and is presented very well.

4 hours ago, danydandan said:

Have anyone watched Blowing Up History on the Discovery Channel? 

It started off fine, just facts and presenting these epic human made structures. Mid way through the second season it started to get out if hand and turn into ancient aliens. I was very disappointed. 

Also another question guys.

I've been listening to Dan Carlin's History Podcast, what is people's opinions on it. Its very good to listen to and is presented very well.

He does not have an academic background in a related field. He is an entertainer, I would be skeptical of any analysis presented by him. 

2 hours ago, Mellon Man said:

He does not have an academic background in a related field. He is an entertainer, I would be skeptical of any analysis presented by him. 

He rarely, if he even does, present any of his own conclusions. I've just finished listening to The King of Kings podcast and he is just presenting and quoting sources like Herodotus and Persian historical records. 

You don't need to have an academic background in a field to be knowledgeable about said field.

• This topic was locked and unlocked
  • This topic was locked and unlocked