Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Let's talk history

kmt_sesh

31 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

No references required, but another quick follow up question for all the knowledgeable.

When did wool become commonly used in textiles in Northern Europe and Neolithic Britain?   One of the values of sheep, which are dumber than goats, and maybe less hardy  is fleece. I have seen that the oldest preserved example of Northern European wool textile comes from a Danish bog dated around 1500 BC.  Before shears, wool was plucked by hand or with bronze combs the source says.  That seems rather tedious, and even worse if you only had wooden combs. 

Without the widespread use of woolen textiles, goats seem to be the winner as man's second best friend.  Any enlightenment will be appreciated.

It didn't.

It wasnt until the Late Bronze Age, with the Deverel-Rimbury culture migration into Britian. With this migration, larger-horned studeri sheep was introduced to Britian, which led to wool production. 

I agree with your thesis. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

Any relation to Pan?

Hera used to be a cow goddess.

Relations to Pan or with Pan?  What do you get when you cross a cow and a goat?  A large and dangerous semi-arboreal herbivore that has killed many herdsmen by falling on them after misjudging the strength of a tree limb.

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Piney said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akerbeltz

@Mellon Man  and @Tatetopa  Here's the Basque Goat God. 

There is probably some relation between this and The Puck festival in Ireland. 

https://www.irishcentral.com/travel/pagan-origins-king-goats-puck-fair

Both probably have some connection with Lúnasa

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Mellon Man said:

Are you well versed in the history of the Basques language? From what I remember its Pre-Indo-European 

It is probably related to Corsican, one of the Sicilian dialects and possibly the language spoken by the original Anatolian Farmers. But not enough Corsican survives to be sure and nothing from Anatolia. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Both probably have some connection with Lúnasa

I think the Horn God wasn't Indo-European and probably originated in Anatolia with the Farmer Folk. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

Any relation to Pan?

Hera used to be a cow goddess.

That’s why Homer calls her “cow-eyed.”

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Piney said:

It is probably related to Corsican, one of the Sicilian dialects and possibly the language spoken by the original Anatolian Farmers. But not enough Corsican survives to be sure and nothing from Anatolia. 

Extrenely limited within this field, but sounds plausible to me.

I do lean towards Basque and PIE possiblu being descended from a common ancestor. However, I favour the Kurgan hypothesis compared to the Anatolian hypothesis. 

Edited by Mellon Man
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Mellon Man said:

Extrenely limited within this field, but sounds plausible to me.

I do lean towards Basque and PIE possiblu being descended from a common ancestor. However, I favour the Kurgan hypothesis compared to the Anatolian hypothesis. 

They both had Caucasus Hunter-Gatherer ancestors in their genetic mix so there might be a common proto- language.

The Kurgan Hypothesis has been pretty much nailed down. :tu:

• Like 3

If you lot would like to club together and bankroll me for three or four years, I'll get this Linear A thing sorted.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

If you lot would like to club together and bankroll me for three or four years, I'll get this Linear A thing sorted.

--Jaylemurph

Well being that I'm retired my budget is tight however Rupert  has an excellent supply of Casu Marzu he could send you a case every other week - would this help?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casu_marzu

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Hanslune said:

Well being that I'm retired my budget is tight however Rupert  has an excellent supply of Casu Marzu he could send you a case every other week - would this help?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casu_marzu

Only if he sends the little plastic bags tourists use to suffocate the little cheese processors!

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

Only if he sends the little plastic bags tourists use to suffocate the little cheese processors!

—Jaylemurph 

To modest a more direct approach is preferred.

mace1_720x.jpg?v=1556132055

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

--Jaylemurph

There's nothing I'd rather do, because I'd love for Linear A to be deciphered. But I don't have the money :(

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

Why? Just why?

Because rotten milk is good cheese. So making it more rottener must be betterer. Or something. Maggots. 

39 minutes ago, ShadowSot said:

Because rotten milk is good cheese. So making it more rottener must be betterer. Or something. Maggots. 

There might be some truth to that but it must be remembered: bugs, including maggots, ARE NOT FOOD. EVER!

2 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

There might be some truth to that but it must be remembered: bugs, including maggots, ARE NOT FOOD. EVER!

That depends on how hungry you are.

2 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

Why, I et some cricket just the other day. Nice crunch, took well with spices used. 

...small portions, though. And to see somebody smile with a leg betwixt their teeth was odd. 

—Jaylemurph 

8 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

Why, I et some cricket just the other day. Nice crunch, took well with spices used. 

...small portions, though. And to see somebody smile with a leg betwixt their teeth was odd. 

—Jaylemurph 

My dad likes those brownies made using cricket powder. There was a good spicy chocolate one I liked. 

Until certain things followed their natural course. 

• This topic was locked and unlocked
  • This topic was locked and unlocked