Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Let's talk history

kmt_sesh

Serves to illustrate an ancient Egyptian admonition: Don't croak before the tomb is finished.

Harte

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/8/2021 at 11:16 AM, Orphalesion said:

Yikes, I would not be brave enough to climb the pyramids. They were never designed to be climbed. And those people with their wicker chairs just inches from the edge of the top... don't lean back to much, lady or you're going down head-first :o

Wonder who that gal with the cellphone is texting?

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Nobu said:

The Grey mothership, to let them know when to pick them up with their Time Machine uber.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

The Grey mothership, to let them know when to pick them up with their Time Machine uber.

I thought she was texting Bigfoot to let him know that their dinner reservations had changed,

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Nobu said:

She was letting her family and friends NOT to take the exit off the New Jersey Turnpike that says 'Twilight Zone'.

Edited by Hanslune
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

@Hanslune

Andrefsky's manual on lithics. Required reading for all flint knappers, experimental archaeologists and people who beat their rocks.

https://www.academia.edu/43012124/ANDREFSKY_JR_William_2005_Lithics_Macroscopic_approaches_to_analysis_Cambridge_University_Press_EUA?auto=download&email_work_card=download-paper

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Piney said:

@Hanslune

Andrefsky's manual on lithics. Required reading for all flint knappers, experimental archaeologists and people who beat their rocks.

https://www.academia.edu/43012124/ANDREFSKY_JR_William_2005_Lithics_Macroscopic_approaches_to_analysis_Cambridge_University_Press_EUA?auto=download&email_work_card=download-paper

Available here without joining Academia.com:

https://assets.cambridge.org/97805218/49760/frontmatter/9780521849760_frontmatter.pdf

Harte

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 3/9/2021 at 9:31 PM, Hanslune said:

Yeah the moving 'boobs' are still there and they never got the 'precision' in settings done either.

ZhltGpU.jpg

The other side to make sure the karma is correct & also the inscription placed on that side

wldA398.jpg

Partial translation of those HGs:

ktWOmBS.jpg

• Like 3

image.png.b4346f85b23bb94f5159f63128f86353.png

This part says:

"A little bird told me he had no access to Vergina because of sharp curve in his 'snake.' "

Harte

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Harte said:

image.png.b4346f85b23bb94f5159f63128f86353.png

This part says:

"A little bird told me he had no access to Vergina because of sharp curve in his 'snake.' "

Harte

I think not my foolish and uneducated friend!

I think it is a technical drawing of how to make a light bulb {note the old fashioned heating element in the middle of the last three symbols}. This clearly shows that you make an Egyptian light built by  taking three - Roman III - birds by using a hockey stick, suck them up with the hose from a vacuum, use part of a paper clip for the power cord, use the side ways end of a stale pop tart, the heating element and a slug and there you have an ancient Egyptian light bulb you just need to add a candle.

Simples

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

War Paths, Peace Paths: An Archaeology of Cooperation and Conflict in Native Eastern North America

https://www.academia.edu/1978142/War_Paths_Peace_Paths_An_Archaeology_of_Cooperation_and_Conflict_in_Native_Eastern_North_America?email_work_card=view-paper

Carrying over from a mention you made @Kenemet in another thread and you probably already know this, but cannibalism among North American Natives was mostly a "political statement", especially among the Iroquois and certain Southwestern groups. They were not recognizing the enemy as "human beings" but "animals worthy of hunting and eating".

Among the Unami Lenape we considered certain tribes "wild" not "civilized". But then there was the taboo against eating human flesh with us.

• Like 7

https://www.pnas.org/content/118/8/e2019158118

The expansion of anatomically modern humans (AMHs) from Africa around 65,000 to 45,000 y ago (ca. 65 to 45 ka) led to the establishment of present-day non-African populations. Some paleoanthropologists have argued that fossil discoveries from Huanglong, Zhiren, Luna, and Fuyan caves in southern China indicate one or more prior dispersals, perhaps as early as ca. 120 ka. We investigated the age of the human remains from three of these localities and two additional early AMH sites (Yangjiapo and Sanyou caves, Hubei) by combining ancient DNA (aDNA) analysis with a multimethod geological dating strategy. Although U–Th dating of capping flowstones suggested they lie within the range ca. 168 to 70 ka, analyses of aDNA and direct AMS 14C dating on human teeth from Fuyan and Yangjiapo caves showed they derive from the Holocene. OSL dating of sediments and AMS 14C analysis of mammal teeth and charcoal also demonstrated major discrepancies from the flowstone ages; the difference between them being an order of magnitude or more at most of these localities. Our work highlights the surprisingly complex depositional history recorded at these subtropical caves which involved one or more episodes of erosion and redeposition or intrusion as recently as the late Holocene. In light of our findings, the first appearance datum for AMHs in southern China should probably lie within the timeframe set by molecular data of ca. 50 to 45 ka.

I'm also a little suspicious of studies coming out of China do to their scientific jingoism on occasion.

Significance

Genetic studies show the founders of all living non-African populations expanded from Africa ca. 65 to 45 ka. This “late dispersal” model has been challenged by the discovery of isolated AMHs at caves in southern China suggested as early as ca. 120 ka. We assessed the age of early AMH fossils from five caves in this region using ancient DNA analysis and a multimethod geological dating strategy. We found they were much younger than previously suggested, with some remains dating to the Holocene owing to the complex depositional history at these subtropical caves. Current evidence shows AMHs settled southern China within the timeframe set by molecular data of less than ca. 50 to 45 ka and no earlier.

• Like 4

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/03/ancient-native-americans-were-among-world-s-first-coppersmiths?et_rid=389449532&et_cid=3706246

Copper_tools_1280x720.jpg?itok=WXR50Pbz

Ancient Native Americans were among the world’s first coppersmiths

About 8500 years ago, hunter-gatherers living beside Eagle Lake in Wisconsin hammered out a conical, 10-centimeter-long projectile point made of pure copper. The finely crafted point, used to hunt big game, highlights a New World technological triumph—and a puzzle. A new study of that artifact and other traces of prehistoric mining concludes that what is known as the Old Copper Culture emerged, then mysteriously faded, far earlier than once thought.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

This is more evolution but still history in a way

https://www.sciencefocus.com/news/humans-are-evolving-an-extra-artery-in-the-arm/

“Since the 18th Century, anatomists have been studying the prevalence of this artery in adults and our study shows it’s clearly increasing,” said Dr Lucas.

“The prevalence was around 10 per cent in people born in the mid-1880s compared to 30 per cent in those born in the late 20th Century, so that’s a significant increase in a fairly short period of time, when it comes to evolution,” she said.

artery-1-768x292-b8fe895.jpg?webp=true&q

The median artery is not the only example of ongoing human evolution. Many babies are being born without wisdom teeth. Dr Lucas said faces are becoming a lot shorter, with smaller jaws meaning there is less room for teeth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hanslune said:

Many babies are being born without wisdom teeth

Hi Hans

I wasn't born with teeth but they did start growing in first one at 7 months.:D

jmccr8

• Like 3

On 4/1/2021 at 10:52 PM, jmccr8 said:

Hi Hans

I wasn't born with teeth but they did start growing in first one at 7 months.:D

jmccr8

According to Jed, Jethro was "born with a full set of teeth - just like a beaver!"

Harte

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

I feel like they misplaced the decimal. Several times. 

—Jaylemurph 

Yeah for 26 cents it would be properly priced. I might have purchased it.

1 hour ago, Harte said:

According to Jed, Jethro was "born with a full set of teeth - just like a beaver!"

Harte

Well, that makes Jethrine both more and less confusing. 

—Jaylemurph 

The little known secret of why ancient folks 'all of sudden' started to move really heavy rocks around'.

171691377_10224694681095390_628708637412

On 4/8/2021 at 5:01 PM, jaylemurph said:

Well, that makes Jethrine both more and less confusing. 

—Jaylemurph 

Hi Jay

Ever hear the story of the girl that went for a check up?

The doctor puts his stethiscope no her chhest and says big breaths.

To which she replied Yeth and I am only thixteen

jmccr8

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Impressive re-creation of the effect of the asteroid hitting in modern times in the same place. I found the first ten minutes of the greatest interest then skip forward in block of ten minutes til the end

• Thanks 2

• This topic was locked and unlocked
  • This topic was locked and unlocked