Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Let's talk history

kmt_sesh

Oh, speaking of wells. One of my favorite pieces of architecture in India are the famous Stepwells in which I visited a number of them walking up out of them was a bit disorienting

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/articles/india-best-step-wells-to-visit

Reverse pyramids

chand-baori-abhaneri-rajasthan684634.gif

rani-ki-vav.jpg

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/famous-chand-baori-stepwell-village-abhaneri-644192515

4a712f1bd29f9d161db2fbe73acd4261.jpg

• Like 5

One of my favorite pieces of art carved in marble: Yes the net and everything else is one piece. 16th century.

WQTlqfM.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

42 minutes ago, Windowpane said:

Yes! I've been to Pompeii three times and each time I also went to the Museo San Severo in Naples. A wondrous thing...plus a great restaurant around the corner that use to serve 'authentic' Roman dishes (no tomatoes) and the spicing was radically different from what we think of as 'Italian'.

Just looked and don't see it  by way of the internet...ah sad. It was something like the 'ristorante Roma Archaeologi' or some such.

FOTO_1_home.jpg

https://www.museosansevero.it/wp/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/FOTO_1_home.jpg

It was also always cool inside quite the relief from a summer's day in southern Italy.

Edited by Hanslune
  • Like 2

As you probably noticed the tatarian crowd love that statue. They insist it's "too perfect" and has to be a real subject dipped in some preservative or artificial stone like some giant yogurt-covored raisin.

• Haha 6

In other forums far, far away and in past I've been told its a modern 'cast' piece, they had iron (as if iron gives you expertise and skill) or its 'photoshopped', or made by aliens.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Hanslune said:

... a great restaurant around the corner that use to serve 'authentic' Roman dishes (no tomatoes)

But I thought the Romans had already reached the Americas, and discovered tomatoes ...

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Windowpane said:

But I thought the Romans had already reached the Americas, and discovered tomatoes ...

Well, yes but they were small poisonous berries then and used for decoration only........for the corn, squash and turkeys

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Oniomancer said:

As you probably noticed the tatarian crowd love that statue. They insist it's "too perfect" and has to be a real subject dipped in some preservative or artificial stone like some giant yogurt-covored raisin.

I find it interesting that idiots and the untalented always assume everyone else is, too.

Not, um, naming any names.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

In memory of Kmt_Sesh

E5rLnmR.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6

20210515_082507.thumb.jpg.de5458f016f372e0403e9f3056cd4f36.jpgThe Atlantes of St.Petersburg

I would love to see these giant granite statues from up close.

The famous Atlantes of the New Hermitage appear almost in each textbook of the history of art. According to the original project, during the construction of the New Hermitage building, which was initiated in 1837 after the fire in Winter Palace, it was planned to decorate the portico of the new building with sphinxes. However, that project was denied by the main architect L. Klenze, as well as the second one - with Egyptian pharaohs. The main architect remembered that he had his own project of the Royal Palace in Athens, which was not realized several years ago and was supposed to be the main museum in Greece. That is how the fate of the portico of the New Hermitage building was sealed. Sculptor A. Trebenev, who created the design of the atlantes by the drawing of J. Halbig, worked on the figures for almost five years. There is a supposition , according to which A. Trebenev worked on polishing of the atlantes by himself, not alone, of course, but managed the creating process over three years more, until they were finished. Atlantes were carved from granite and put on the pedestal from marble limestone. Up to the 1920s the portico with atlantes was the main entrance to the Hermitage. The history of atlantes is inseparably connected with the history of Saint-Petersburg. During the Blockade one of the atlantes was hit by one of the 30 shells, which damaged the Hermitage buildings.

link

The next is really cool:

link

• Like 3

Ancient Egyptian heavy lift boats

http://historicvessels.com/queen-hatshepsuts-heavy-lift-obelisk-river-barge/

impression-of-queen-Hatshepsut%E2%80%99s

ff.jpg

Relief-2-at-Deir-El-Bahri-1030x376.jpg

The top is a modern drawing the other two come from Relief 2 at Deir El-Bahri from Hatshepsut Temple. http://historicvessels.com/queen-hatshepsuts-heavy-lift-obelisk-river-barge/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

On 5/10/2021 at 12:58 PM, Hanslune said:

Oh, speaking of wells. One of my favorite pieces of architecture in India are the famous Stepwells in which I visited a number of them walking up out of them was a bit disorienting

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/articles/india-best-step-wells-to-visit

Reverse pyramids

chand-baori-abhaneri-rajasthan684634.gif

rani-ki-vav.jpg

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/famous-chand-baori-stepwell-village-abhaneri-644192515

4a712f1bd29f9d161db2fbe73acd4261.jpg

That bottom picture is amazing.... and I would venture that is a greater feat than the great pyramids. Thanks for posting

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nobu said:

That bottom picture is amazing.... and I would venture that is a greater feat than the great pyramids. Thanks for posting

They are all over India went down to the bottom of one similar but smaller than the one above - absolutely terrifying if you have acrophobia - very attractive designs however.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Hanslune said:

Ancient Egyptian heavy lift boats

http://historicvessels.com/queen-hatshepsuts-heavy-lift-obelisk-river-barge/

impression-of-queen-Hatshepsut%E2%80%99s

ff.jpg

Relief-2-at-Deir-El-Bahri-1030x376.jpg

The top is a modern drawing the other two come from Relief 2 at Deir El-Bahri from Hatshepsut Temple. http://historicvessels.com/queen-hatshepsuts-heavy-lift-obelisk-river-barge/

This reminds me of Hero's steam engine in that he worked out a basic principle millenia in advance of it's time, but the rest of the technology, and a leap of imagination, easy with hindsight, was lacking, so his invention remained an executive toy. The rigging on the barge, while designed to support the barge and not the obelisks, needs only a little imagination to form the basis of a suspension bridge. But hindsight is 20/20 vision, and some.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Wepwawet said:

This reminds me of Hero's steam engine in that he worked out a basic principle millenia in advance of it's time, but the rest of the technology, and a leap of imagination, easy with hindsight, was lacking, so his invention remained an executive toy. The rigging on the barge, while designed to support the barge and not the obelisks, needs only a little imagination to form the basis of a suspension bridge. But hindsight is 20/20 vision, and some.

Yes a good point, suspension bridge, the problem they were trying to avoid was both 'hogging'  (the ship's bow and stern sagging down)of wood ships due to a lack of sufficient frame work was an ancient problem and supporting the hull when carrying such a heavy load. I imagine that all kinds of great invention were made then lost it was only once we got more literacy and the ability and organization to protect documents (and we got use to writing stuff down) were these losses lessen.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Hanslune said:

Yes a good point, suspension bridge, the problem they were trying to avoid was both 'hogging'  (the ship's bow and stern sagging down)of wood ships due to a lack of sufficient frame work was an ancient problem and supporting the hull when carrying such a heavy load. I imagine that all kinds of great invention were made then lost it was only once we got more literacy and the ability and organization to protect documents (and we got use to writing stuff down) were these losses lessen.

Yes, it's the "writing stuff down", as the guy in the article points out that the Ancient Egyptians knew about Archimedes principal a thousand years before Archimedes, but, as in all their engineering, their equivalent of "How too move heavy stones for Dummies", is not suitable for monuments, a point lost on the clueless fringe, though the absence of "technical manuals" is their open door to come marching through with bands playing and clowns honking horns.

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Wepwawet said:

Yes, it's the "writing stuff down", as the guy in the article points out that the Ancient Egyptians knew about Archimedes principal a thousand years before Archimedes, but, as in all their engineering, their equivalent of "How too move heavy stones for Dummies", is not suitable for monuments, a point lost on the clueless fringe, though the absence of "technical manuals" is their open door to come marching through with bands playing and clowns honking horns.

..you left off the dancing unicorns, the two-brained teleporting badger and them all stabbing each other in back - mentally if not in writing. Not only is orthodoxy wrong but every other fringe theory but their own although they might not openly say so!

• Like 3

Anyone recommend good or decent audiobooks on ancient history? 

I have too much trouble reading these days, but I've got roughly 10 hours a day to fill with audio at work. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hanslune said:

..you left off the dancing unicorns, the two-brained teleporting badger and them all stabbing each other in back - mentally if not in writing. Not only is orthodoxy wrong but every other fringe theory but their own although they might not openly say so!

They daren't attack each other, except on a personal level, as it would expose them for the charlatans and fantasists that they are, as you well know. I would though like to see them go head to head in trying to trash each others conflicting fantasies on G1, but I'm not holding my breath and will continue to chuckle at "ALL EGYPTOLOGISTS ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING", and "Monkeys dancing around a djed".

Edited by Wepwawet
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ShadowSot said:

I have too much trouble reading these days, but I've got roughly 10 hours a day to fill with audio at work. 

Not books as such, but radio broadcasts dealing with a wide range of topics discussed by experts. Ancient History features often. The programme is from the BBC as is titled "In our Time". The link is to the archive page with 908 broadcasts available. You do need to create an account though, which is odd considering they are also available on Youtube, but that's not what you want, though you can sample them to see if you think they are worth the bother. In Our Time

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Wepwawet said:

They daren't attack each other, except on a personal level, as it would expose them for the charlatans and fantasists that they are, as you well know. I would though like to see them go head to head in trying to trash each others conflicting fantasies on G1, but I'm not holding my breath and will continue to chuckle at "ALL EGYPTOLOGISTS ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING", and "Monkeys dancing around a djed".

I don't spent much time on the Graham Hancock board but you do see a little of that at times, actually people who do 'get into it' are the numerologists since their 'proofs' are mathematical they cannot possibility be wrong so someone else looking at the same situation a finding numbers that they don't which also are mathematically correct - causes 'problems'. Another group that clash on ideas but tend to avoid criticizing one another are channelers or those with 'supernatural' sources. Hard to say yours is right when another one is claiming the exact opposite. You mentioned Cladking's weird and goofy ideas he took a new track some time ago and is now on religious forums trying to convince everyone that science is completely wrong about everything (all part of his plan to take his ideas from garbage to front line thinking). It's hilarious!

Edited by Hanslune
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, ShadowSot said:

1177 BCE by Ernest Cline is a good one.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 1

• This topic was locked and unlocked
  • This topic was locked and unlocked