Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Let's talk history

kmt_sesh

Just thought I'd mention there's a podcast with Blake Smith and Jeb Card out called In Research of thats doing a skeptical review of the old On Search of show with Leonard Nimoy. 

• Like 1

The earliest known library on and about stone tool making

main-qimg-0d8b28556f6198515f3adca93c10c3

• Haha 8

What's your favourite pyramid? (this question was asked at Quora and I've moved it here with some minor changes)

I’ve changed this to favourite pyramids (5 in total)

Mastaba 3038 in Saqqara of Anedjib, 1st Dynasty circa ~ 2700 BCE

main-qimg-f225f5a0fa621cc9cc642795428e8742

[/img]

While called a mastaba it is a small tier pyramid

A Maya pyramid called

main-qimg-929e7c6d44aebaf96a6112cc503caa58

That contained the burial of Pakal a famous ruler

main-qimg-45ec392ad7a32486b462f83c29f23315

main-qimg-ba93091448dae2167fa61a5e616fe2ec

[/img]

Pyramid of Cestius in Rome

main-qimg-fc81e3cfed6bf7c1e45bbf75ea31b625

Workers pyramid - small resources; big dreams. Workers tomb at Deir el Medina

main-qimg-86edc0005a04f765a9d722c3214f30e4

[/img]

Pyramid G1-d - it gets no respect: Next to G1 at Giza

main-qimg-88b0c26ee9e4f1981625c0f1b92200ad

The pyramid of stupidity

main-qimg-b787978cfda9881340d2739b74b42976

[/img]

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Windowpane said:

Waggy has written on it in Minor Pyramids of Giza - (see this link).

Thanks I've seen it before but my link to Hall of Ma'at and to it doesn't seem to be working

8 hours ago, Hanslune said:

What's your favourite pyramid? (this question was asked at Quora and I've moved it here with some minor changes)

I’ve changed this to favourite pyramids (5 in total)

Mastaba 3038 in Saqqara of Anedjib, 1st Dynasty circa ~ 2700 BCE

main-qimg-f225f5a0fa621cc9cc642795428e8742

More like 2930BC. 

Depictions of other 1st Dynasty "pyramid"(s) were also found perhaps associated with Qa'a:

fZ0wdJ0.png

According to Emery Anedjib is the only pyramid structure found though he thinks it possible others of this later period may have been similar so for Qa'a to have built a pyramid structure makes sense. Interestingly what we see in these photos is quite misleading:

2anedjib.jpg

This is only one of 3 phases of construction which at some point later, perhaps within Adnejib's reign, a palace facade serekh mastaba was built around it otherwise completely obscuring it from view. Emery says:

When first excavated, the superstructure of the tomb appeared to follow the familiar design of a rectangular platform, with its exterior decorated with recessed paneling [palace facade]. But further digging revealed a stepped pyramid structure hidden within it. Only the lower part of the stepped structure was preserved and it is possible it continued upwards in pure pyramid form.

Fig 43,44,45 (Archaic Egypt p82-83) show proposed reconstructions which the pyramid is set within a palace facade mastaba built around it. He continues to say it is possible this was a common feature to the palace facade tombs of the latter half of the first Dynasty, with earlier tombs that encased tumulus mounds in mud brick the likely precursor noting in particular a "Queen Her-nit". I think it is reasonable to wonder if this stepped "pyramid", and the others Emery says may have existed, was built earlier independant of later plans that encased it within a serekh mastaba.  

Pyramid G1-d - it gets no respect: Next to G1 at Giza

main-qimg-88b0c26ee9e4f1981625c0f1b92200ad

Not intended to inter a body. No one can agree what it was for. Regardless, I would note G1-d has a "T" shaped substructure reminiscent of what is seen at Abu Roash and Zawyet El Aryan. Interestingly Rigano, Pyramids of the Giza Plateau p77-81, argues GI-d and GII-a, Khafre's satellite pyramid, to be contemporary:

As much as GI-a, b, and c are alike, the recently discovered GI-d is clearly different....

While the general belief among Egyptologists is that GI-d was a planned part of Khufu's Mortuary Complex and possibly served as his ritual pyramid, the facts argue against this belief. Its size at only 10% the volume of the other subsidiary pyramids and its "T" shaped substructure clearly sets GI-d apart from the other three subsidiaries but bears a strong resemblance in size and internal layout to GII-a, the minor pyramid to the south of Khafre's pyramid...

It is very unlikely GI-d was built first [before the enclosure wall and associated mastabas] and defined the locations for the outer enclosure wall and mastabas. It is much more likely the boundaries were there first and defined the space and size of a pyrmaid built after all were in place. This sets the earliest possible construction date for G1-d to after completion of the southern mastabas. The timing makes GI-d and Khafre's subsidiary pyramid (GII-a) contemporary and explains the similarities between the two pyramids.

As an aside, we can see G1-b behind it with tower stepped core surrounded by a true pyramid outer layer akin to Meidum.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Hanslune

Did you know Dennis Puleston? He was a friend and mentor of my eldest sister and she was there when they opened the box with his bones in it. :unsure2:

19 hours ago, Piney said:

@Hanslune

Did you know Dennis Puleston? He was a friend and mentor of my eldest sister and she was there when they opened the box with his bones in it. :unsure2:

Heard the name but he died before I graduated

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Thanos5150 said:

Quote from the article:

"His large size and where the fossil was found, in one of China's coldest places, could mean the species had adapted to harsh environments. "

How large was the guy?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Abramelin said:

Quote from the article:

"His large size and where the fossil was found, in one of China's coldest places, could mean the species had adapted to harsh environments. "

How large was the guy?

It's about the size of the skull:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/jun/25/massive-human-head-in-chinese-well-forces-scientists-to-rethink-evolution

• Like 4

main-qimg-6274b9965593b9eb74e7877b117358

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 6/26/2021 at 4:44 AM, Abramelin said:

I will speculate on him being a Denisovian OR a Denisovian mix with an off shoot of Homo Erectus OR an entirely unknown H....I think I covered most of the bases....

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Hanslune said:

I will speculate on him being a Denisovian OR a Denisovian mix with an off shoot of Homo Erectus OR an entirely unknown H....I think I covered most of the bases....

A comment about these Indigenous

Their practices were quite miscegenous.

From this skull by the way

no one can make hay

For its size is the same as the rest of us.  

The skull of the average Joe

Is wider than these, don’tcha know.

This skull’s length is such

That it measures not much

More than yours and would fit your chapeau.

Edited by Limerickity
There once was a man from Nantucket
  • Haha 6

Hoummm .... someone has gotten themselves a sock puppet account. 
Not me though. I’m already three other people.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/28/2021 at 2:13 AM, Hanslune said:

A bit extra info:

https://theconversation.com/homo-longi-extinct-human-species-that-may-replace-neanderthals-as-our-closest-relatives-found-in-china-163328

file-20210624-19-plxsc9.png?ixlib=rb-1.1

Edited by Abramelin
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, ShadowSot said:

They went silly

Speaking to reporters, Ersoy said a "major study" on the 12 hills is about to be completed and will be presented in September.

He said the area could even be referred to as the "pyramids of southeast Turkey."

Pyramids.......oh JKCOADH

and rock weight 'expansion'

T-shaped obelisks from the Neolithic era towering three to six meters (10-20 feet) high and weighing 40-60 tons.

10-15 the last I heard, anyone have newer information?

Edited by Hanslune

On 6/29/2021 at 2:35 PM, Hanslune said:

They went silly

Pyramids.......oh JKCOADH

and rock weight 'expansion'

10-15 the last I heard, anyone have newer information?

The claims made of Göbekli Tepe

Have a growth rate refreshingly peppy.

Round here nowadays

This drought’s caused malaise

And what woo teats remain are just schleppy.

A good source of woo milk so sweet

Is a thing I consider most meet.

Let us all raise a beer amid

The news of these pyramids

And relish the lactating teat.

15 hours ago, Hanslune said:

They went silly

Yeah I chalk some of that to translation issues, I've noticed it with a few press releases. Pop the original in Google translate and it makes more sense sometimes. 

15 hours ago, Hanslune said:

They went silly

Just guessing but I think he's making a point that instead of them being pyramids they'll have the same sort of cultural impact and recognition as the Giza pyramids. Might be giving more credit than due, though. 

The fellow speaking is the minister of Tourism. Hype is his job. 

• Like 1

• This topic was locked and unlocked
  • This topic was locked and unlocked