Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Let's talk history

kmt_sesh

On 7/9/2017 at 3:51 AM, back to earth said:

(excepting  Pidgin ,   ' Tok Pisin ' ) 

Tok  magic he  belongem   people tok it ...  special ....  you try to savy tolk? Alright,  supposim we change it  , now you have no juju .

Go back your own valley  now ! 

Go !   Yaaaah !  

Related image

what happens if these dude sweat? lol there def leaving a trail.

They are not worried one bit about leaving a trail .....  I would not follow them if I were you ! 

The point is, as some have suggested, that the fracture of language in PNG is related to ;  difficult terrain and travel, the idea that language is magic  and some cases of language even being changed and re invented so others cannot tell what you are talking about .

Even in my area, which is MUCH LESS  conflictual, similar dynamics apply . One indigenous friend speaks 6 languages ... one of them is a  secret clan language    within his own language group    for special 'magic / initiatory  business'  that the others, not privy to that 'mystery' are not allowed to hear . 

In the old days, this was serious business ... even seeing something you were not supposed to could lead to a death sentence .

-  And if you think that skeleton paint might be an ' encumbrance  '  in the forest    ......   ; 

Image result for PNG mud men

New Guinea   is certainly a   'land of contrasts '   !  

" NO !   Fourth floor  ... fourth floor !  Ngirarrghya ... you pressed the wrong button ! Now you wrecked it ... you are always doing things like that!    "

(or in 'Pidgin  ; 'Stoppim number 4 Ngirarrghya missimout !  You b*****imup .... Ngirarrghya ****imarse  "  )

{ No, I am not swearing  ....  they are real pidgin words !

https://emilyinkavieng.wordpress.com/2015/04/20/tok-pisin-and-meri-blouses/   }

• Like 2

1 hour ago, back to earth said:

They are not worried one bit about leaving a trail .....  I would not follow them if I were you ! 

The point is, as some have suggested, that the fracture of language in PNG is related to ;  difficult terrain and travel, the idea that language is magic  and some cases of language even being changed and re invented so others cannot tell what you are talking about .

Even in my area, which is MUCH LESS  conflictual, similar dynamics apply . One indigenous friend speaks 6 languages ... one of them is a  secret clan language    within his own language group    for special 'magic / initiatory  business'  that the others, not privy to that 'mystery' are not allowed to hear . 

In the old days, this was serious business ... even seeing something you were not supposed to could lead to a death sentence .

-  And if you think that skeleton paint might be an ' encumbrance  '  in the forest    ......   ; 

New Guinea   is certainly a   'land of contrasts '   !  

" NO !   Fourth floor  ... fourth floor !  Ngirarrghya ... you pressed the wrong button ! Now you wrecked it ... you are always doing things like that!    "

(or in 'Pidgin  ; 'Stoppim number 4 Ngirarrghya missimout !  You b*****imup .... Ngirarrghya ****imarse  "  )

{ No, I am not swearing  ....  they are real pidgin words !

https://emilyinkavieng.wordpress.com/2015/04/20/tok-pisin-and-meri-blouses/   }

BUwNUcW.gif

Ooooo   funnypellah ime changing magicturn biggersmaller  ! 

( I give you 3 piglets for him ! ) 

Edited by back to earth
  • Like 1

Back to earth, after all these years on the forum, you're finally making sense!

4 hours ago, back to earth said:

With my luck I'd be in the elevator when that lot gets in. I'd be pressed into the back corner, trembling. That'd be more disturbing than one of Jack Vale's "pooter" pranks.

On 7/6/2017 at 9:42 AM, Harte said:

First - I'm not a history nerd, I don't study history at all, nor do I care to.

No, I'm  a science fiction nerd, which is why I study fringe claims (not history.)

Second - I cannot believe all the closed minds on this board. Mainstream culinogy has spent the last two centuries brainwashing the sheeple and hiding our true cuisine from us, but I had thought that the old guard here (at least) had gotten past that.

Mountain oysters are fine fare, Spam will do in a pinch, kidney (especially beef) is fabulous and if you don't like liver, I've no doubt that's due to either you never knowing how to cook it properly, or never having the balls to eat it cooked properly - which is to say rare.

Harte

Says the guy who had his taste buds burned off during a wild night of turkey fries and moonshine.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2017 at 7:42 AM,

Harte said:

..... and if you don't like liver, I've no doubt that's due to either you never knowing how to cook it properly, or never having the balls to eat it cooked properly - which is to say rare.

Harte[/quote]

Well we must disagree. I love most offal except lungs and liver. My father liked liver well, very well done, which reduced it to boot leather, so twice a month I had to as a child face that shriveling up piece of meat. I use to chop it up into minuscule pieces about the size of a sweet pea, douse it with A-1 sauce, a touch of ketchup and creamed horseradish - then it was palatable as I swallowed it whole with no chewing.

My favorite of all this off topic meat is steamed pork tripe Shanghai style.

Served with:

6 green onions, sliced
3 cloves garlic, sliced
Salt and white pepper to taste
Soy sauce
Vegetable oil
Sesame oil

A touch of Macau style curry powder
One inch section of fresh ginger minced

Edited by Hanslune

Eat it rare. You won't believe the difference in taste - not just texture.

Harte

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Harte said:

Eat it rare. You won't believe the difference in taste - not just texture.

Harte

Tastes like rubber? Texture like rubber?

Another day of traffic at the pyramids

bevo71g.gif

Created by John B at  the Historum forum

Edited by Hanslune
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

Tastes like rubber? Texture like rubber?

It gets kind of rubbery if you go beyond rare when cooking it.

Cooked rare, it's far less "livery" tasting and is tender as can be. Almost melts in your mouth.

Harte

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harte said:

Cooked rare, it's far less "livery" tasting and is tender as can be. Almost melts in your mouth.

Harte

I topped a tree yesterday evening for a little old neighbor lady on a fixed income. She knows I like liver and brought me liver/onions and Harvard beets for lunch at work today as a thank you. She did great with the beets but I don't have the heart to tell her she overcooked the liver...

ETA- the reason most meat "needs" cooked until well done is to kill microorganisms  introduced in the butchering process not from the individual animal.

Edited by Jarocal
Cladking rules
  • Like 1

From 1904:

5966857d99487_1904recipeforbloodsausage.jpg.0047e4a752208e4c69d6a78890af0f6d.jpg

Source.

Interested parties should really check out the "forgotten books" available on that website.

Click the menu icon at the top right corner of the page.

Harte

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Harte said:

From 1904:

5966857d99487_1904recipeforbloodsausage.jpg.0047e4a752208e4c69d6a78890af0f6d.jpg

Source.

Interested parties should really check out the "forgotten books" available on that website.

Harte

Other than the "freeze Em"  it is fairly close to the family recipe.

Interesting read here:

How ancient China and Egypt developed similar structures

Plagiarism and industrial espionage may in some cases explain why a particular invention turns up far away from where it was originally invented. But what about such cases when these possible explanations have been ruled out and two inventors incidentally develop the same idea?  

3 hours ago, Harte said:

From 1904:

Source.

Harte

Wow 100 lb batch is a lot. but I suppose if a household is slaughtering up a few animals at a time...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, rashore said:

Wow 100 lb batch is a lot. but I suppose if a household is slaughtering up a few animals at a time...

Or if you do like previous generations in my family( though sadly it has trickled pretty much to an end with mine and my parents generations as weird Yankee ideals such as store bought jellies and biscuits from a cardboard tube infected many of them) have a large group of siblings, in-laws, cousins, etc gather together for hog butchering, canning vegetables, making jellies, chicken cleaning, rat killins, barn raisings, house building, pig roasts, crab boils, baling/stacking hay, cider pressing, and other assorted tasks. Granted it was all organized and ran by the elder generation who grew up in the great depression, but it wasn't just about being frugal. 

Spreading 100lb batch of sausage or bacon across an extended family containing 4-8 individual families just meant stocking up for a while.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Hanslune said:

bevo71g.gif

:lol::lol::lol: Love it! Wow, cladking really charges by on that camel. Is that you or Lord Harry sitting there? 

7 hours ago, Harte said:

Harte

All right, I'd try it.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Hanslune said:

bevo71g.gif

That looks nearly as bad as the spot  at   iron Knob   turnoff  .   

No ... its true ... 

Image result for iron knob NSW

4 hours ago, ShadowSot said:

Interesting read here:

How ancient China and Egypt developed similar structures

Plagiarism and industrial espionage may in some cases explain why a particular invention turns up far away from where it was originally invented. But what about such cases when these possible explanations have been ruled out and two inventors incidentally develop the same idea?  

Easy peasy   :)    ....

Sample please    

< rubs hands together in anticipation )>  .... 

3 hours ago, rashore said:

I have a neighbour who makes great stuff  ( snags ,   delicious and mellow goat feta cheese ,   all sorts of stuff ... I can buy or trade off her.   if one is going to all that trouble making sausages , may as well make extra if you can .

She ( neighbour )  had a calf  fattening last year named  'Sausage' ,   The bigger one from the year before  she named   ' Sir Loin-a-lot ' .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kmt_sesh said:

:lol::lol::lol: Love it! Wow, cladking really charges by on that camel. Is that you or Lord Harry sitting there? 

Look closely   ... its a  'Turkish magic flying camel '    .

• Like 1

10 hours ago, back to earth said:

I have a neighbour who makes great stuff  ( snags ,   delicious and mellow goat feta cheese ,   all sorts of stuff ... I can buy or trade off her.   if one is going to all that trouble making sausages , may as well make extra if you can .

She ( neighbour )  had a calf  fattening last year named  'Sausage' ,   The bigger one from the year before  she named   ' Sir Loin-a-lot ' .

Historically speaking, sausage making is an ancient method of preserving meat. So it not only makes sense to make extra, it's utterly traditional - to the point of mandatory - to do so. That's the point of it.

If all you want is a pound or two of sausage for dinner, you go shopping.

Harte

• Like 2

• This topic was locked and unlocked
  • This topic was locked and unlocked