Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Let's talk history

kmt_sesh

2 hours ago, Harte said:

Historically speaking, sausage making is an ancient method of preserving meat. So it not only makes sense to make extra, it's utterly traditional - to the point of mandatory - to do so. That's the point of it.

If all you want is a pound or two of sausage for dinner, you go shopping.

Harte

I know it was deemed mandatory when I was a kid. Even now if the stock of sausage in my freezer gets under 5lbs. I go pick up a hog to finish for butchering. I admit to having grown lazy and take it to a local butcher for primary processing but still do all the curing/smoking at home. There is actually a really easy slow cooker recipe for rendering small batches of lard. I can't remember if I picked it up from Joel Salatin or Sally Fallon's website. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Harte said:

From 1904:

5966857d99487_1904recipeforbloodsausage.jpg.0047e4a752208e4c69d6a78890af0f6d.jpg

Source.

Interested parties should really check out the "forgotten books" available on that website.

Click the menu icon at the top right corner of the page.

Harte

Well I'm glad I did not know this back when I was a kid and told to eat the boudin sausage I had on my plate.  I was finicky back then.

MDagger

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Jarocal said:

I know it was deemed mandatory when I was a kid. Even now if the stock of sausage in my freezer gets under 5lbs. I go pick up a hog to finish for butchering. I admit to having grown lazy and take it to a local butcher for primary processing but still do all the curing/smoking at home. There is actually a really easy slow cooker recipe for rendering small batches of lard. I can't remember if I picked it up from Joel Salatin or Sally Fallon's website. 

For preservation (without refrigeration) raw sausage must be COLD smoked and then allowed to dry.

A little mold on the outside of the casing doesn't hurt at all.

Any air bubbles in the sausages resulting from lazy stuffing techniques will cause spoilage.

Harte

• Like 1

On 7/10/2017 at 6:18 AM, LucidElement said:

What about this is a mystery to you? Im not familiar with this topic, could you explain in a bit more detail?

Thanks!

My apologies Lucid I missed your comment earlier

You asked about this:

1. How the peopling of Madagascar took place

2. The fragmentation of cultures and languages that occurred in New Guinea - how did this occur?

3. Ancient history of Sardinia

4. History of the Scythian's

5. Collapse of the Mayan civilization

6. Trade in the Caribbean prior to the arrival of the Spanish

7. History of the off shore islands of Africa

8. Fate of the Himyarite Kingdom

Most of these are not fully understood nor how or why it occur therefore in my mind 'mysterious'.

• Like 1

Hmmmm ... historical issues    (and answers to  'number twos  )    seem to have to take a backseat here . 

But sausages  .......    

:rolleyes:

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, back to earth said:

Hmmmm ... historical issues    (and answers to  'number twos  )    seem to have to take a backseat here . 

But sausages  .......    

:rolleyes:

Charcuterie(a technology gifted humanity by our past Basset Masters) could possibly be the single most important step during mankind's trek toward civilization after the discovery of fire. Fermentation(coupled with distillation) would run a close third. 

• Like 2

I knew I was going to get a   ' beer and  hot dog  answer'  from you guys . 

Language diffusion in PNG ?    Obviously due to the incursion of beer and sausage   :)  

Well  ... at least   for 'politics'  and  'elections' 

I saw a film if pollie turning up to village, pre election riding on top of truck full of beer .   Slabs  of cans to all !  Vote for me ! 

They interviewed one happy native (in tribal garb) with a slab on his shoulder  " I vote him ! Good guy, bring give me  free  beer ! "

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-20/png-election-season-shows-off-the-stranger-side-of-democracy/8536988

... as far as the sausage goes  ... I will have to hide that one ... its rather unsavory 

Spoiler

Image result for tony abbott eats sausage

Here , it is the free 'sausage sizzle '   ...   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sausage_sizzle

the only good thing about that is watching our pollies have to partake of the 'high quailty' of Aussie fast food sauasge sanga '

Related image

Swallow it Bill ... swallow it !  

Related image

Come on Mr prime Minister  ... you are not exempt 

Related image

Ewwwwwww !

Related image

..... ooops ... I kinda messed up that attempt at censorship   :D  

2 minutes ago, back to earth said:

I knew I was going to get a   ' beer and  hot dog  answer'  from you guys . 

Language diffusion in PNG ?    Obviously due to the incursion of beer and sausage   :)  

Well  ... at least   for 'politics'  and  'elections' 

I saw a film if pollie turning up to village, pre election riding on top of truck full of beer .   Slabs  of cans to all !  Vote for me ! 

They interviewed one happy native (in tribal garb) with a slab on his shoulder  " I vote him ! Good guy, bring give me  free  beer ! "

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-20/png-election-season-shows-off-the-stranger-side-of-democracy/8536988

... as far as the sausage goes  ... I will have to hide that one ... its rather unsavory 

Reveal hidden contents

Image result for tony abbott eats sausage

Here , it is the free 'sausage sizzle '   ...   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sausage_sizzle

the only good thing about that is watching our pollies have to partake of the 'high quailty' of Aussie fast food sauasge sanga '

Related image

Swallow it Bill ... swallow it !  

Related image

Come on Mr prime Minister  ... you are not exempt 

Related image

Ewwwwwww !

Related image

Ok, joking aside.... what is it he's eating in those first couple pics? It's just looks like a big bread with nothing in it. 

Yes, this is incorrect . The 'democracy sausage'  ( see wiki article above )  needs to be a thin style 'breakfast sausage' on one slice of white bread , laid diagonally and bread folded over  with tom sauce and optional  fried onion and or mustard  ( English mustard not French )

The one Bill is trying to eat is a yuppy hipster  'boutique ' version   ,   on a roll    tsk  tsk    ... and that probably has  French mustard and  aioli on it < shudder > . 

He is probably in some snotty upper class electorate . 

The again , it could be a fake politcal scam ... and contain no sausage at all !   Damn them ! 

7 minutes ago, rashore said:

Ok, joking aside.... what is it he's eating in those first couple pics? It's just looks like a big bread with nothing in it. 

C'mon it Oz, the land where men have big buns and short little saussies 

• Like 2

Bill was  probably in this electorate ;

@  2:37

Edited by back to earth

6 minutes ago, back to earth said:

Yes, this is incorrect . The 'democracy sausage'  ( see wiki article above )  needs to be a thin style 'breakfast sausage' on one slice of white bread , laid diagonally and bread folded over  with tom sauce and optional  fried onion and or mustard  ( English mustard not French )

The one Bill is trying to eat is a yuppy hipster  'boutique ' version   ,   on a roll    tsk  tsk    ... and that probably has  French mustard and  aioli on it < shudder > . 

He is probably in some snotty upper class electorate . 

The again , it could be a fake politcal scam ... and contain no sausage at all !   Damn them ! 

4 minutes ago, Jarocal said:

C'mon it Oz, the land where men have big buns and short little saussies 

Oh, come on guys... I'm being serious this time... he looks like he's eating a torta... but just the bread with nothing in it. I'd feel gypped if it's supposed to be a sandwich. Not so much if it's a baked filling bread kind of thing where ya gotta bite or two through the crust to get to the filling.

• Like 1

In addition to the newly deciphered tablets, other written records, artistic depictions and archeological remains indicate the wide range of foods en-joyed by the Babylonians and their predecessors in Mesopotamia, the Sumerians. One text, a sort of Sumerian-Akkadian, Akkadian-Sumerian dictionary on 24 stone tablets, provides terms in the two languages for 800 different foods and beverages. Other artifacts suggest that a complete menu of available consumables would be twice that long.

The choices, at least for the elite, included meats both domestic and wild, fish, turtles and shellfish and a host of grains, vegetables, tubers, fruits, mushrooms and herbs. One text even describes meat-stuffed intestinal casings, the world's first sausages.

NYT

Anunnaki Andouille.

Harte

Edited by Harte
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Harte said:

NYT

Anunnaki Andouille.

Harte

You and BTE have sausage on the brain.

But pickled grasshoppers?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kmt_sesh said:

Just means drunk noobs. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

Excuuuuuse  me !  I constantly try to introduce history here  ...  the only reason I talk sausage is the hope of segwaying back to historical interlektural  discourse .   :) 

.... and for that  ^   you get  ;

Spoiler

That guy is dangerous !   :D

25 minutes ago, back to earth said:

Excuuuuuse  me !  I constantly try to introduce history here  ...  the only reason I talk sausage is the hope of segwaying back to historical interlektural  discourse .   :) 

.... and for that  ^   you get  ;

Reveal hidden contents

That guy is dangerous !   :D

Oh, ew, ick! Okay, I'll behave. Have a sausage on me.

10 hours ago, LucidElement said:

KMT.... what do u think of Ben Carsons belief on pyramids ? I actually just came across this..

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ben-carsons-unusual-theory-about-pyramids/

A not uncommon type of belief generated by religion that was based on someone's un-evidence opinion stated long ago and therefore considered 'sacred'.

If I could I would seen to Dr. Carson a map on how to get back to reality

hMcD1dZ.jpg

Edited by Hanslune
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

Oh, ew, ick! Okay, I'll behave. Have a sausage on me.

Glazed Sausage and Pineapple

Harte

• Like 2

Let me drop some history into this sausage party

http://www.sci-news.com/archaeology/rope-making-tool-germany-04047.html

Archaeologists Find 40,000-Year-Old Rope-Making Tool in Germany

Archaeologists excavating a cave in the Swabian Jura of southwestern Germany have found what they believe is a rope-making tool nearly 40,000 years old.

• Like 3

On July 14, 2017 at 0:54 AM, LucidElement said:

KMT.... what do u think of Ben Carsons belief on pyramids ? I actually just came across this..

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ben-carsons-unusual-theory-about-pyramids/

Whew. Thank you, Lucid. A question actually unrelated to sausages. How did we start the sausage obsession, anyway? Who's to blame?

Dr. Carson's odd belief is not befitting an educated professional in the twenty-first century. It's more appropriate to medieval times. I don't decry anyone's religious beliefs, but when you're a neurosurgeon and running for the most powerful office on earth...please, just shut up! 

(That's for Carson. Not you, Lucid.)

This is something many Christians believed a very long time ago. It ultimately comes from the biblical story of Joseph, who found favor in the court of a pharaoh. It happens to be a very entertaining story but there really is no truth to it. We know better now. Goodness knows why Dr. Carson would promote this yarn and still expect to be taken seriously, except perhaps by the nut jobs in the religious right. And look, in the end he didn't win the presidency. Well, it ended up going to an angry orange toddler with equally questionable credibility.

No more sausage talk, right, folks? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

Whew. Thank you, Lucid. A question actually unrelated to sausages. How did we start the sausage obsession, anyway? Who's to blame?

Dr. Carson's odd belief is not befitting an educated professional in the twenty-first century. It's more appropriate to medieval times. I don't decry anyone's religious beliefs, but when you're a neurosurgeon and running for the most powerful office on earth...please, just shut up! 

(That's for Carson. Not you, Lucid.)

This is something many Christians believed a very long time ago. It ultimately comes from the biblical story of Joseph, who found favor in the court of a pharaoh. It happens to be a very entertaining story but there really is no truth to it. We know better now. Goodness knows why Dr. Carson would promote this yarn and still expect to be taken seriously, except perhaps by the nut jobs in the religious right. And look, in the end he didn't win the presidency. Well, it ended up going to an angry orange toddler with equally questionable credibility.

No more sausage talk, right, folks? 

Weiner :lol:, sorry couldn't  let it go that easy;

jmccr8

• This topic was locked and unlocked
  • This topic was locked and unlocked