Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 19
kmt_sesh

Let's talk history

1,501 posts in this topic

On ‎09‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 5:56 PM, Khaemwaset said:

Evidence of volcanic activity/climate change having impact on AE during Ptolemaic period:

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/10/volcanoes-may-have-triggered-riots-ancient-egypt

An impact is fair but people who propound these sorts of theories tend to pitch them as definitive answers.  "We have found the cause of the downfall of x...".  For the most part I think human societies are pretty resilient to climatic events, except those who are already precarious such as the Greenland Vikings, Easter Island, etc.  Unless the volcano stopped the annual Nile floods, or significantly interfered with them then it is probably minor.  Also remember the Ptolemies were based in Alexandria on the coast so they had the moderating influence of the Mediterranean to mitigate any direct impact on the royal family.  The Ptolemies just became a sequence of fairly weak rulers, who Hellenistic model was superseded by the Romans and eventually overwhelmed by the sheer power of Rome.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm now sorry I posted this item.  All I can say is that although it is surely overly simplistic to say the AE empire collapsed because of far away volcanoes, nevertheless - having studied Meteorology and Vulcanism long ago - it is IMO incorrect to dismiss the impact of super or cluster volcanoes on meta-climactic conditions and various societies, even those seemingly distant from the eruption.  The study noted in the article gives evidence of such a climactic impact on the agricultural productivity of AE and especially the Delta region at the time, which would have had manifold repercussions for the state and society.  No, not downfall, I agree, but a heretofore unrecognized impact,

Edited by Khaemwaset
3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://keithhamilton.academia.edu/research

A detailed guide for Mastaba 17
 
From the hall of ma'at
 
Mastaba 17 guide
Posted by: waggy (IP Logged)
Date: November 22, 2017 02:51AM

 

Hi all,
I have just posted up a guide on mastaba 17 that some may find of interest.
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Hanslune said:

https://keithhamilton.academia.edu/research

A detailed guide for Mastaba 17
 
From the hall of ma'at
 
Mastaba 17 guide
Posted by: waggy (IP Logged)
Date: November 22, 2017 02:51AM

 

Hi all,
I have just posted up a guide on mastaba 17 that some may find of interest.

Pffft, Egypt could never possibly interest me. Right?

Actually I sat down planning just to skim the PDF and ended up reading the whole thing. I've read quite a bit about Mastaba 17 because it's an important one, but this report ids very detailed. Perhaps a bit too detailed in some respects, and I'd rather have all of the measurements in inches or metric (not cubits), but those are my only criticisms. The photos and graphics are fantastic. I especially enjoyed the tomb-plan graphics the author created.

The mummification is of a very old style; you don't see defleshing of the remains by later in the Old Kingdom. The practice goes back to predynastic times. I keep forgetting the fantastic sarcophagus in this mastaba, which well predates Khufu's. And some of those roofing beams are enormous. It's a pity we can't know for whom the mastaba was built, and probably never will.

Rupert, perhaps?

I went to the Isida Project website and found a good video (see this page). The text in the video is in Russian but the scenes are worth watching. That's a big mastaba.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

*SIGH* Where are all the Burlington Brain Fart/ Frank Collin/ Barry Fell "Ancient America" crackpots. I've been hovering since I got back and grow weary. .......SWEDE.....GIVE ME SOMETHING!!!!! THE DOC SAYS I NEED TO DO "BRAIN UPS"

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

Pffft, Egypt could never possibly interest me. Right?

Actually I sat down planning just to skim the PDF and ended up reading the whole thing. I've read quite a bit about Mastaba 17 because it's an important one, but this report ids very detailed. Perhaps a bit too detailed in some respects, and I'd rather have all of the measurements in inches or metric (not cubits), but those are my only criticisms. The photos and graphics are fantastic. I especially enjoyed the tomb-plan graphics the author created.

The mummification is of a very old style; you don't see defleshing of the remains by later in the Old Kingdom. The practice goes back to predynastic times. I keep forgetting the fantastic sarcophagus in this mastaba, which well predates Khufu's. And some of those roofing beams are enormous. It's a pity we can't know for whom the mastaba was built, and probably never will.

Rupert, perhaps?

I went to the Isida Project website and found a good video (see this page). The text in the video is in Russian but the scenes are worth watching. That's a big mastaba.

Yeah, the Isida Project videos are terrific. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

Pffft, Egypt could never possibly interest me. Right?

Actually I sat down planning just to skim the PDF and ended up reading the whole thing. I've read quite a bit about Mastaba 17 because it's an important one, but this report ids very detailed. Perhaps a bit too detailed in some respects, and I'd rather have all of the measurements in inches or metric (not cubits), but those are my only criticisms. The photos and graphics are fantastic. I especially enjoyed the tomb-plan graphics the author created.

The mummification is of a very old style; you don't see defleshing of the remains by later in the Old Kingdom. The practice goes back to predynastic times. I keep forgetting the fantastic sarcophagus in this mastaba, which well predates Khufu's. And some of those roofing beams are enormous. It's a pity we can't know for whom the mastaba was built, and probably never will.

Rupert, perhaps?

I went to the Isida Project website and found a good video (see this page). The text in the video is in Russian but the scenes are worth watching. That's a big mastaba.

Sorry Rupert doesn't know. While he did get around a lot he said that place was on the wrong side of the plowed fields.

 

The same fellow has done a number of other walk thru's on Egyptian tombs and other features

https://keithhamilton.academia.edu/research

Edited by Hanslune
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Piney said:

*SIGH* Where are all the Burlington Brain Fart/ Frank Collin/ Barry Fell "Ancient America" crackpots. I've been hovering since I got back and grow weary. .......SWEDE.....GIVE ME SOMETHING!!!!! THE DOC SAYS I NEED TO DO "BRAIN UPS"

Do a stroll through ATS or Graham Hancock, Icke or Crystalinks invite one here

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hanslune said:

Do a stroll through ATS or Graham Hancock, Icke or Crystalinks invite one here

I need fresh blood. That's old dry meat.....*sigh*  

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Piney said:

I need fresh blood. That's old dry meat.....*sigh*  

Ah well ask Essan to go into his special secret theory about how how we are all really dead and this forum is actually pre-entry hell.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hanslune said:

Ah well ask Essan to go into his special secret theory about how how we are all really dead and this forum is actually pre-entry hell.

That's no theory. I reappeared here right after a stroke.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Piney said:

That's no theory. I reappeared here right after a stroke.

Oh no I showed up here after eating at Olive Garden.

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Piney said:

That's no theory. I reappeared here right after a stroke.

 

20 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

Oh no I showed up here after eating at Olive Garden.

Now you folks know the truth. You weren't supposed to realize this so soon after expiring. All of the fringies posting ridiculous ideas are actually deranged demons sent to torment us.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

Oh no I showed up here after eating at Olive Garden.

The only authentic Italian restaurant  where you pay someone to microwave a frozen dinner for you

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Piney said:

The only authentic Italian restaurant  where you pay someone to microwave a frozen dinner for you

Well, that's pretty much my system of "Italian cooking."

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kmt_sesh said:

 

Now you folks know the truth. You weren't supposed to realize this so soon after expiring. All of the fringies posting ridiculous ideas are actually deranged demons sent to torment us.

Torment? Well I did get a stitch in my side from laughing to much a few times.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hanslune said:

Ah well ask Essan to go into his special secret theory about how how we are all really dead and this forum is actually pre-entry hell.

...I was pretty sure hell was working retail 'round about this time of year, but this makes sense to me, too, if only to explain the prevalence of "OMG Lost Colony of Roanoke is totes unsolvable" threads. Although I always assumed there'd be more frat boys in hell.

--Jaylemurph

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A Jason Colavito reviews: The Gods never left us by Erich Von Daniken a 'sequel' to his Chariots of the Gods..... EVD is part of history - he was partially involved in the explosion of the 'aliens did it' meme from the 1960's.

http://www.jasoncolavito.com/blog/review-of-the-gods-never-left-us-by-erich-von-daniken

 

Quote

The Gods Never Left Us is a typical example of late-period EVD. It is a rambling, disconnected series of claims, most recycled from earlier books, with heavy doses of EVD’s social conservatism. It is not a good book, or even much of a book. As a sequel to Chariots of the Gods, it is an utter failure, lacking even a quarter of the argument, analysis, or originality of the original—which is sad since Chariots was a collection of recycled claims from other authors wrapped in a bad argument given a gloss of entertainment by a former Nazi propagandist. EVD’s glimmers of self-awareness about the weaknesses of his recent books are an improvement, but the lack of follow through on the promise of originality marks it as just another false claim in a career full of them.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick question for KmT.

Since you enjoyed 1177 by Eric H Cline, have you perused his new release

Three Stones Make a Wall

The Story of Archaeology

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/22/2017 at 10:01 PM, kmt_sesh said:

 

Now you folks know the truth. You weren't supposed to realize this so soon after expiring. All of the fringies posting ridiculous ideas are actually deranged demons sent to torment us.

Does it count if you enjoy it? 

 

On 11/26/2017 at 11:18 AM, Hanslune said:

A Jason Colavito reviews: The Gods never left us by Erich Von Daniken a 'sequel' to his Chariots of the Gods..... EVD is part of history - he was partially involved in the explosion of the 'aliens did it' meme from the 1960's.

http://www.jasoncolavito.com/blog/review-of-the-gods-never-left-us-by-erich-von-daniken

 

 

Archy Fantasies touched on this in the new episode. As well as the effect of publish or die on public science writing.which helped lead to the explosion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Jarocal said:

Quick question for KmT.

Since you enjoyed 1177 by Eric H Cline, have you perused his new release

Three Stones Make a Wall

The Story of Archaeology

 

Oh speaking of, he's done a few talks based on it that are up on YouTube. 

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jarocal said:

Quick question for KmT.

Since you enjoyed 1177 by Eric H Cline, have you perused his new release

Three Stones Make a Wall

The Story of Archaeology

 

Haven't read it yet but would like to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/22/2017 at 8:51 PM, Khaemwaset said:

Yeah, the Isida Project videos are terrific. 

Neither here nor there, but this post was Khaemwaset's very last in this thread. He contributed a lot to this thread. His last post at UM was in the Moses thread on Thanksgiving morning.

Rest in peace, my friend. You made a difference.

9 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A December 1 Joseph Wegner lecture from Penn Museum, @ 1 hour plus questions and answers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some different kind of mummies for kmt_Sesh

Fig-3.jpg

https://blog.britishmuseum.org/mummies-and-log-houses-of-the-dead-scythian-life-and-death/

Quote

We know the Scythians were skilled at mummification processes from the evidence apparent in the bodies of those buried in the spectacular royal tombs at Pazyryk in the Altai region of southern Siberia. These individuals had been trepanned, disembowelled and, in some cases, had soft tissues removed from various parts of the body. Evidence of coarse stitching is still visible in the mummies

Fig-5.jpg

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 19

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.