Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Let's talk history

kmt_sesh

Guys has it ever been disgusted or hypothesised that Stonehenge is just an unfinished passage grave similar to Newgrange? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, danydandan said:

Guys has it ever been disgusted [discussed] or hypothesised [hypothesized] that Stonehenge is just an unfinished passage grave similar to Newgrange? 

Those pesky cell phones. As to the query, a number of factors would argue against the comparison.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

The other day in one of the religion forums here, I (politely) asked someone else not to use the term “butt-hurt”; someone else replied “ ‘people like you’ whip up trouble like this where there is none” 

...they also justified their defense of the term by claiming they had “two gay friends.” 

People, man. People. 

—Jaylemurph 

My thinking is that if it hurts maybe don't do it.

Unless, of course, it's hurts too good.

Harte

Also, I have more than two gay friends. Not only that, I find Jason Momoa oddly fascinating.

Harte

19 hours ago, BorizBadinov said:

That is one of the funniest completely idiotic clueless justifications I have ever heard.

I myself have become quite tired of expletive slang like butt hurt. It doesn't offend me so much as annoy me because it just sounds stupid. 

I always thought it referred to a good spanking.

Guess I'm out of the loop.

Harte

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Harte said:

I always thought it referred to a good spanking.

Guess I'm out of the loop.

Harte

To me, using "butthurt" tends to pigeonhole you with people who might utter "suppposably", "terrist" or "preformance".

However, I do say "haitch".

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Swede said:

Those pesky cell phones. As to the query, a number of factors would argue against the comparison.

Ugh. Disgusted lol. 

Hypothesised is correct, however. 

I suppose it would be pointless, moving them stones to then cover them up again. But I was thinking that them wee stones that mark the solstice, were just marker stones for reference with something else in mind. But haven't been able to find anything out about that, unfortunately. Also its at an odd location, and old hunting ground. If it was a High Kings favorite place perhaps they'd like to be remembered there?

Edited by danydandan

20 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Ugh. Disgusted lol. 

I suppose it would be pointless, moving them stones to then cover them up again. But I was thinking that them wee stones that mark the solstice, were just marker stones for reference with something else in mind. But haven't been able to find anything out about that, unfortunately. Also its at an odd location, and old hunting ground. If it was a High Kings favorite place perhaps they'd like to be remembered there?

I believe hypothesised/hypothesized is another of those British/American spelling differences. :P

cormac

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

I believe hypothesised/hypothesized is another of those British/American spelling differences. :P

cormac

Bloody Americans ruining everything.

Or maybe us Europeans are just stuck in our old fashioned ways. I wonder if the Brits consider themselves European anymore?

Edited by danydandan
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, danydandan said:

It was a terrible job, but somebody had to do it. :w00t:

cormac

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

It was a terrible job, but somebody had to do it. :w00t:

cormac

Us savages ruin everything, apparently. Us savage Irish are ruining Brexit, so one politician thought it would be good to threaten us with a famine. Also we apparently have to know our place. 

Have you heard of any suggestions that Stonehenge is an unfinished passage grave? 

1 minute ago, danydandan said:

Us savages ruin everything, apparently. Us savage Irish are ruining Brexit, so one politician thought it would be good to threaten us with a famine. Also we apparently have to know our place. 

Have you heard of any suggestions that Stonehenge is an unfinished passage grave? 

From the earliest bank and ditch created at Stonehenge circa 3100 BC to what we know as Stonehenge now there is nothing to suggest that any passage grave such as at Newgrange was ever attempted AFAIK.

cormac

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Harte said:

Also, I have more than two gay friends. Not only that, I find Jason Momoa oddly fascinating.

Harte

Oh yes.  I could stare at Jason Momoa for a very long time.

9 hours ago, Harte said:

Harte

You are only human after all.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, danydandan said:

Ugh. Disgusted lol. 

It would appear that Cormac has already covered the U.S. vs British discrepancy. The evolution of languages is an ever-interesting study.

As to the Henge area itself, there has been more recent research that indicates that it was a later stage of a rather long-enduring utilization sequence. The below provides a brief overview.

https://www.livescience.com/22427-stonehenge-facts.html

Edit: Reference added.

Edited by Swede
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, danydandan said:

Yes.  Rumour has it that a bunch of Irish workers came over here and offered to do the job on the cheap as they had some stones left over from a previous job ......   be a shame for them to go to wast e.....   So they charged 10 times the going rate and left the job half finished. 

This is why the English later invaded Ireland.   We still want the job finished properly or our money back! 

:P  ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

20 hours ago, danydandan said:

Or maybe us Europeans are just stuck in our old fashioned ways. I wonder if the Brits consider themselves European anymore?

Can't be too old fashioned, the Brits changed their accent too after the Revolutionary War. But then, anything to be different. :w00t:

cormac

• Haha 1

On 13/12/2018 at 6:35 AM, danydandan said:

Guys has it ever been disgusted or hypothesised that Stonehenge is just an unfinished passage grave similar to Newgrange? 

Impossible, if it was a tomb you couldn’t land a Tzun spacecraft on it.

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 3:35 PM, danydandan said:

Now Dany, we all know that it is merely to mark the location of the Pandorica.

• Haha 1

Numerous waterlogged mummies found in large tomb at Gebel el Silsila in Upper Egypt near Aswan.  Once an enormous quarry, this is the only tomb from the area found occupied...though the water level makes recovery difficult:  https://www.livescience.com/64321-waterlogged-mass-grave-egypt.html

This quarry workers' tomb seems to also hold their families, including small children.

The women and children inside may have been family members: One clear discovery from the Gebel el-Silsila project is that the quarry was the site of a thriving community, not just a man camp populated by workers.

The newfound tomb also indicates that these workers weren't slaves. The bodies were found with amulets, including shabtis — small figurines buried with the dead to act as their own manual laborers in the afterlife. Slaves wouldn't have been buried with shabtis, Ward said.

Edited by The Wistman
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, The Wistman said:

Numerous waterlogged mummies found in large tomb at Gebel el Silsila in Upper Egypt near Aswan.  Once an enormous quarry, this is the only tomb from the area found occupied...though the water level makes recovery difficult:  https://www.livescience.com/64321-waterlogged-mass-grave-egypt.html

This quarry workers' tomb seems to also hold their families, including small children.

"Waterlogged," you say?

Anyone got the concession on bottling the effluent?

I plan to sell it at those woo conventions.

Harte

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Harte said:

"Waterlogged," you say?

Harte

ewwwww! :cry:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

ewwwww! :cry:

It actually happened. A Newager planned to make mummyade and you got to drink it on his tour. :lol:

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Harte said:

"Waterlogged," you say?

Harte

Has the woo-milk industry dried up that much?

• This topic was locked and unlocked
  • This topic was locked and unlocked