Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Let's talk history

kmt_sesh

56 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

https://www.academia.edu/386944/New_Light_on_Human_Prehistory_in_the_Arabo_Persian_Gulf_Oasis?email_work_card=view-paper

Some interesting considerations that the present Persian Gulf was an 'oasis' during a long period of time before being flooded out recently.

And guess what some people have made of this ...

As fetchingly illustrated by Hedy Lamarr ...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Windowpane said:

Hey people have been puzzling over where those pesky Sumerians came from - they were obviously proto-Arabs so the world earliest civilization was really Arabs - must email my Arab nationalist 'friends' with the news!

So that's Heady eh, what movie was that?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Windowpane said:

AaE0.gif

Harte

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hanslune said:

So that's Heady eh, what movie was that?

Not really sure ... Samson and Delilah?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Windowpane said:

Not really sure ... Samson and Delilah?

I always like to see people wearing metal armor in day to day life. I've worn armor (for the American SCA) and Niten ichi ryu and other Koryu Japanese arts. It ain't comfortable.

) and it is anything but comfortable.

Edited by Hanslune
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Hanslune said:

Niten ichi ryu

The irony is I don't think Musashi wore armour. :lol:

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Piney said:

The irony is I don't think Musashi wore armour. :lol:

The guys bashing me with rattan and bamboo seemed too!

Edited by Hanslune
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I was just made to read Go Rin No Sho.

Jianshu outclasses kenjitsu hands down and katanas suck. :yes:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Piney said:

I was just made to read Go Rin No Sho.

Jianshu outclasses kenjitsu hands down and katanas suck. :yes:

Unless you're in a field battle I fought in a few with several hundred people on each side. One rule I remember, 'if your hands are empty of a weapon you are either a fool or dead.{paraphrased I don't quite recall what exactly it was - but something in that line!')

• Like 3

Unless you're in a field battle I fought in a few with several hundred people on each side. One rule I remember, 'if your hands are empty of a weapon you are either a fool or dead.{paraphrased I don't quite recall what exactly it was - but something in that line!')

Too many moves for armour and we don't reenact. 

*Never give a sword to a man who can't dance*.......I forgot who said it. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Hanslune said:

Too much to hope I was one of those  that bashed you over the head.  I think I was before your time.  When I got sent to Japan on business, my flight stopped in Singapore on the way back.  I spent a day there, found a ratan dealer, bought 100 ten foot sticks and had them shipped back to sell at events.  Made gas money and bought a beverly shear.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Piney said:

The irony is I don't think Musashi wore armour. 

I would think if you were dueling a single person, armor would be too cumbersome.

When I was in Japan 1980's, my part time tour guide was a 70 year old WWII vet.   When not tied up with business, I got to go to several museums with him and some great lunches.  He took me to a sword museum, can't remember where it was now.  He was knowledgeable about swords and I asked him something about that.  He said he used to go up into the mountains with his sword and meditate. He was about 5'4", wrinkled and bald as an egg with a good laugh.  I have no doubt he did just that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Piney said:

Too many moves for armour and we don't reenact. 

*Never give a sword to a man who can't dance*.......I forgot who said it. 

We did full impact - a few broken finger bones from all that. We also once found out why there was rule that when two groups approached each other at (traditional word for about 50 feet) you had to have both formations stop completely then continue at half pace.

Twenty-five Americans encountered a group of about four hundred Japanese in a column formation. They were big and decided not to stop, we didn't know the rule - the impact was VERY impressive!

Edited by Hanslune
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Too much to hope I was one of those  that bashed you over the head.  I think I was before your time.  When I got sent to Japan on business, my flight stopped in Singapore on the way back.  I spent a day there, found a ratan dealer, bought 100 ten foot sticks and had them shipped back to sell at events.  Made gas money and bought a beverly shear.

I was active from 1974 or so to 79 in the Barony of the Western sea or some such (Hawaii), The SCA date of  AS XII on one photo I have. I still have one rattan weapon a six foot 'sword-on-a-stick' glaive or Naginata.(used more like a Kanabo due to SCA rules).

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

I was active from 1974 or so to 79 in the Barony of the Western sea or some such (Hawaii), The SCA date of  AS XII on one photo I have. I still have one rattan weapon a six foot 'sword-on-a-stick' glaive or Naginata.(used more like a Kanabo due to SCA rules).

I salute your seniority grandfather, 1977-1981 An Tir.  The best events I participated in were the An Tir - West wars with 100-150 fighters. I used an ox tongue type spear about 5' and two handed Dane ax. I was not good enough to pull off a round shield and sword.  People with heaters generally beat me in single combat.  Course it could have been my lack of skill as much as weapon choice..

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

“Great Spirits of All Who Lived Before”: Exploring the Original Peopling of the Americas Through the Examination of Paleoindian Skeletal Remains

https://www.academia.edu/33044674/_Great_Spirits_of_All_Who_Lived_Before_Exploring_the_Original_Peopling_of_the_Americas_Through_the_Examination_of_Paleoindian_Skeletal_Remains?email_work_card=minimal-title

Just ran a cursory over it. It doesn't seem too bad except on the skull shape stuff. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Piney said:

“Great Spirits of All Who Lived Before”: Exploring the Original Peopling of the Americas Through the Examination of Paleoindian Skeletal Remains

https://www.academia.edu/33044674/_Great_Spirits_of_All_Who_Lived_Before_Exploring_the_Original_Peopling_of_the_Americas_Through_the_Examination_of_Paleoindian_Skeletal_Remains?email_work_card=minimal-title

Just ran a cursory over it. It doesn't seem too bad except on the skull shape stuff. 

Again, what is wrong with the "skull shape stuff"

Edited by Thanos5150

5 hours ago, Piney said:

Phew, long read. From the conclusion:

This conclusion represents not an end, but a genesis. The beginning of new ideas and approaches, the introduction of more diverse perspectives, and the continued synthesis of multiple data sources as well as the acquisition of new information. Only through inclusivity, attention to detail, scholarly cooperation, and an insatiable desire for the truth can the most holistic understanding of America’s First Peoples be revealed.

Confusing chart with bad resolution but colorful!

136-e8b76318f4.jpg

I had to look up the word dolichocephalic, which is odd as I had a girl friend named that once.

Edited by Hanslune
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Thanos5150 said:

Again, what is wrong with the "skull shape stuff"

It doesn't work when a group is a happy mixture of both types such as Algonquians, Siouian, and many Northern Asian/Siberian ethnic groups. 

I love when they say the skull shows a "Mongolian morphology" and "Europoid" then the genes are all the same. 

The Skull Shaped stuff went out in the 90s no matter what my former employer says......

That being said, I'm putting you on ignore. Don't bother to quote me. I won't see it. :yes:

@Hanslune  @Kenemet  

I can't message you both at the same time for some reason.

I found my sister and my vintage Ryukyu-O'ahu  shirasaya used to teach cutting and I can't match it online. Hans probably had the same one. 

I'll take pictures on Saturday when the camera comes home. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Piney said:

@Hanslune  @Kenemet  

I found my sister and my vintage Ryukyu-O'ahu  shirasaya used to teach cutting and I can't match it online. Hans probably had the same one. 

Probably, my last one got crushed in a move, now my Wakazashi and Katana just sit forlornly on a Chinese rosewood in-table. I gave my tachi to a nephew some years ago.Still have a nice 17th century Yari and tangashima thou.

Edited by Hanslune
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, Piney said:

It doesn't work when a group is a happy mixture of both types such as Algonquians, Siouian, and many Northern Asian/Siberian ethnic groups. 

I love when they say the skull shows a "Mongolian morphology" and "Europoid" then the genes are all the same. 

The Skull Shaped stuff went out in the 90s no matter what my former employer says......

That being said, I'm putting you on ignore. Don't bother to quote me. I won't see it. :yes:

I speak the truth and you choose to ignore it? Good for you. And the point of quoting you is not for your benefit. 

Sorry, but I am going with your "former employer", the Smithsonian if Piney has not reminded you today, and every one else on this one. 

No, the "skull shaped stuff" did not go out in the '90's or ever and is part and parcel of modern forensic anthropology. If anyone is actually interested in this "skull shaped stuff" here is a start: Evaluation of ancestry from human skeletal remains: a concise review.

And HERE. 

A recent example how it is applied: Craniometrics Reveal “Two Layers” of Prehistoric Human Dispersal in Eastern Eurasia

Edited by Thanos5150
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, Piney said:

@Hanslune  @Kenemet  

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 8/26/2020 at 8:16 PM, Kenemet said:

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On 8/26/2020 at 10:20 AM, Hanslune said:

Probably, my last one got crushed in a move, now my Wakazashi and Katana just sit forlornly on a Chinese rosewood in-table. I gave my tachi to a nephew some years ago.Still have a nice 17th century Yari and tangashima thou.

Webp.net-resizeimage (18).jpg

• Like 2

• This topic was locked and unlocked
  • This topic was locked and unlocked