Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

First Fluorescent Frog Found

Claire.

First fluorescent frog found.

Under normal light, the South American polka dot tree frog (Hypsiboas punctatus) sports a muted palette of greens, yellows and reds. But dim the lights and switch on ultraviolet illumination, and this little amphibian gives off a bright blue and green glow.

The ability to absorb light at short wavelengths and re-emit it at longer wavelengths is called fluorescence, and is rare in terrestrial animals. Until now, it was unheard of in amphibians. Researchers also report that the polka dot tree frog uses fluorescent molecules totally unlike those found in other animals. The team published the find on 13 March in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Read more: Nature

• Like 3

I can see these being the next "In thing" at Raves and other parties with black lights.

• Like 1

Some bird feathers are florescent under black lights as well as the frogs too. I found that out in my teenage days of black lights and music with lights matching it. It was fun at sleepovers, so I can imagine pet frogs that glow would become a new in thing with black light parties.

• Like 1

Sheldon could have just had a few frogs in an aquarium instead of the glowing fish!

• Like 1