Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Trump Slashing UN Funding

Dark_Grey

I had to quit my job to become a full-time poster. This administration is constantly bringing hard changes.

Trump administration plans to slash funding for UN, other foreign aid organizations

On Thursday afternoon, Office of Management and Budget Director Mick Mulvaney doubled down on the Trump administration's plans to cut funding to the United Nations and other foreign agencies, as laid out in the administration’s budget proposal for fiscal year 2018.

“We’re absolutely reducing funding to the U.N. and to various foreign aid programs…the president said hundreds of times, 'I’m going to spend less money overseas and more money at home,'” Mulvaney said during a press conference. 

Mulvaney’s comments come after a spokesperson for the U.N. defended the organization’s value upon reviewing President Donald Trump’s proposed $1.1 trillion budget.

Also:

According to multiple sources, President Donald Trump has directed the State Department to slash funding for United Nations programs by over 50 percent and to further implement massive spending cuts to other foreign aid programs such as the U.S. Agency for International Development.

The actual budgetary impact of these cuts will be fairly low, relative to the overall size of federal expenditures. It is difficult to assess exactly how much the U.S. spends on United Nations activities, since appropriations for various U.N. programs are spread across multiple departments, but by most estimates, total U.S. expenditures on U.N. programs are between $5 billion and $10 billion per year.

FOX Business
The Blaze
AlJazeera

Edited by Dark_Grey
Forget links!
  • Like 1

good,  and move un building out of nyc as well, move to where the most world problems are, this way members can see situation better

• Like 4

Good the UN and world government is evil and he knows it! Trump is once again proving he is anti NWO and Pro Freedom and Pro America!

USA first!

• Like 1

Good News 

• Like 2

Maybe the mighty Chinese can start paying their share.

Yeah, well.... I can dream, right?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, AnchorSteam said:

Maybe the mighty Chinese can start paying their share.

Yeah, well.... I can dream, right?

Maybe Beijing could be the new headquarters for the United Nations. 

• Like 1

That's how we work with people these days I guess.  Don't champion any better ideas and cajole and convince anyone, just cut them off and spend the savings on more military.  No wonder the anti-UN neocon John Bolton was a contender in the Cabinet.   Like any good boss, at least Trump questions:  "What am I paying you people for?"   Not that his ideas or spending priorities are any better.

While I'm all for paying no more than our fair share on any institutionalized interest, I have no doubt that Trump the great dealmaker will return with carrots and sugars for the UN in the future after it duhz something he wants it to doo.   And they're going to want that big bag of money and they're going to be motivated to doo what he sezz.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Yamato said:

That's how we work with people these days I guess.  Don't champion any better ideas and cajole and convince anyone, just cut them off and spend the savings on more military.  No wonder the anti-UN neocon John Bolton was a contender in the Cabinet.   Like any good boss, at least Trump questions:  "What am I paying you people for?"   Not that his ideas or spending priorities are any better.

While I'm all for paying no more than our fair share on any institutionalized interest, I have no doubt that Trump the great dealmaker will return with carrots and sugars for the UN in the future after it duhz something he wants it to doo.   And they're going to want that big bag of money and they're going to be motivated to doo what he sezz.

Typical Trump MO. Set's the bar high and negotiates from it. He done the same with NATO, NAFTA and so forth... some day, some one will call him out on it and then lets see Trump backflip.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

Typical Trump MO. Set's the bar high and negotiates from it. He done the same with NATO, NAFTA and so forth... some day, some one will call him out on it and then lets see Trump backflip.  

China could push a button and usher in the "greatest" recession in US history.   If it happened tomorrow the markets would react horribly against China for pushing that button, but when there comes a time that there's plenty of domestic demand in China for all their goods, they won't need us anymore.  

Their little bulldog nipping at the heels of America though, North Korea, it can't misbehave itself badly enough to earn our attention.   North Korea could easily be the last straw and the final call Trump needs to learn that he's not The King of the World.   If we dared march up that peninsula like we did in the '50s, China's going to march right back down just like it did in the '50s.   North Korea is just a stage for political theater, and an impossible one to win on.  Why would Trump or any red-blooded American be interested in that?  Trump seems to be looking for targets that he can annihilate, foreign or domestic.  

So China is a check to his power.  Russia to a lesser extent.  Other than that I don't see much else out there, do you?

He sets the bar askew and from a very bizarre angle.  Setting the bar "high" makes it sound like his ideas are good.   You gotta be good to be high, right?   

If I was a leader from a poor country I'd take the free kibbles from supporting Donald Trump, even if I didn't like him.   If he threw his daughter Ivanka on me to make whoring myself out appear even more attractive, that'd work too. :rolleyes:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C4pZ1d3WAAEHWfH.jpg

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

Nah, they'll leave it in the US, it'll allow them to get their spies into America easier.

I suspect any threat (or even action) to reduce funding to the UN would be more an act of punishment for  (or future leverage over) some of its decisions, rather than as an act to save significant amounts of money for domestic use. 

I believe the US provides between 20% and 30% of UN funding. Well... he who pays the piper.... 

Maybe they can add prosecuting these bozo diplomats for crimes as well:

"A diplomat from Sudan was arrested for allegedly grinding against a woman on a Manhattan subway Monday — but the charges were dropped because he has diplomatic immunity, police sources said.

The 49-year-old diplomat, Mohammad Abdalla Ali, was riding an uptown 4 train at about 2 p.m. when he allegedly approached the 38-year-old woman from behind as the train was leaving Grand Central and rubbed his crotch against her, police sources said.

He was taken to the Midtown South police station house, where he was charged with sexual abuse and forcible touching.

But once he provided identification papers proving he was a diplomat, he was released, according to the sources, who added that there will be no prosecution."

"The case of diplomatic malfeasance follows a disturbing incident from last October when a German diplomat allegedly punched his wife in the face at the couple’s Upper East Side home — and could not be prosecuted for the crime.

Joachim Haubrichs, 56, slugged 35-year-old Henna Johnson on Oct. 17 after he went into a rage because it was 7:30 p.m. and Johnson was still on her phone, which he strictly forbids, police sources said at the time.

Johnson called the police and told them she was beaten by her husband, the assistant attaché to Germany’s UN mission.

Despite Johnson’s black eye, cops said their hands were tied as soon as police brass passed along State Department confirmation that Haubrichs had immunity."

http://nypost.com/2017/01/09/diplomat-busted-for-grinding-on-woman-on-subway/

They also owe a combined $16 or $17 million in unpaid parking tickets plus many refuse to pay their rents, again owing tons of money. Let some other country put up with what they waste here in time and money to 5he U.S. taxpayer.

On 3/18/2017 at 7:03 PM, Captain Risky said:

I always thought that Geneva would be the logical location. 

10 hours ago, skliss said:

Maybe they can add prosecuting these bozo diplomats for crimes as well:

"A diplomat from Sudan was arrested for allegedly grinding against a woman on a Manhattan subway Monday — but the charges were dropped because he has diplomatic immunity, police sources said.

The 49-year-old diplomat, Mohammad Abdalla Ali, was riding an uptown 4 train at about 2 p.m. when he allegedly approached the 38-year-old woman from behind as the train was leaving Grand Central and rubbed his crotch against her, police sources said.

He was taken to the Midtown South police station house, where he was charged with sexual abuse and forcible touching.

But once he provided identification papers proving he was a diplomat, he was released, according to the sources, who added that there will be no prosecution."

"The case of diplomatic malfeasance follows a disturbing incident from last October when a German diplomat allegedly punched his wife in the face at the couple’s Upper East Side home — and could not be prosecuted for the crime.

Joachim Haubrichs, 56, slugged 35-year-old Henna Johnson on Oct. 17 after he went into a rage because it was 7:30 p.m. and Johnson was still on her phone, which he strictly forbids, police sources said at the time.

Johnson called the police and told them she was beaten by her husband, the assistant attaché to Germany’s UN mission.

Despite Johnson’s black eye, cops said their hands were tied as soon as police brass passed along State Department confirmation that Haubrichs had immunity."

http://nypost.com/2017/01/09/diplomat-busted-for-grinding-on-woman-on-subway/

They also owe a combined $16 or $17 million in unpaid parking tickets plus many refuse to pay their rents, again owing tons of money. Let some other country put up with what they waste here in time and money to 5he U.S. taxpayer.

Hang on, I didn't think Diplomatic Immunity worked like that. I thought it was immunity from prosecution for doing their jobs as diplomats and anything outside of that they were subject to regular prosecution.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AnchorSteam said:

I always thought that Geneva would be the logical location. 

I think they also use Geneva. 

4 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Hang on, I didn't think Diplomatic Immunity worked like that. I thought it was immunity from prosecution for doing their jobs as diplomats and anything outside of that they were subject to regular prosecution.

Unfortunately, no....you can Google and see even murder has been on the table. The only way, I believe, we can prosecute is if the country they are representing agrees to it. 

• Like 1

On 3/18/2017 at 10:18 PM, Yamato said:

That's how we work with people these days I guess.  Don't champion any better ideas and cajole and convince anyone, just cut them off and spend the savings on more military.

Why do people like you seem to think that American's are born to "cajole and convince" the rest of the world? 

American's have been leaders not "cajolers"! Look what happened when England and France tried to "cajole and convince" NAZI Germany in 1938 if you need any historical precedent.

6 hours ago, lost_shaman said:

Why do people like you seem to think that American's are born to "cajole and convince" the rest of the world? 

American's have been leaders not "cajolers"! Look what happened when England and France tried to "cajole and convince" NAZI Germany in 1938 if you need any historical precedent.

Thst was "appease" not "cajole".

Well that's half way there. Now we need to get out of the UN all together. Its a total joke.  

On 3/21/2017 at 2:49 AM, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Thst was "appease" not "cajole".

The "cajoling" came right before the full "appeasing".

On 19 March 2017 at 4:23 PM, Yamato said:

China could push a button and usher in the "greatest" recession in US history.   If it happened tomorrow the markets would react horribly against China for pushing that button, but when there comes a time that there's plenty of domestic demand in China for all their goods, they won't need us anymore.  

Their little bulldog nipping at the heels of America though, North Korea, it can't misbehave itself badly enough to earn our attention.   North Korea could easily be the last straw and the final call Trump needs to learn that he's not The King of the World.   If we dared march up that peninsula like we did in the '50s, China's going to march right back down just like it did in the '50s.   North Korea is just a stage for political theater, and an impossible one to win on.  Why would Trump or any red-blooded American be interested in that?  Trump seems to be looking for targets that he can annihilate, foreign or domestic.  

So China is a check to his power.  Russia to a lesser extent.  Other than that I don't see much else out there, do you?

He sets the bar askew and from a very bizarre angle.  Setting the bar "high" makes it sound like his ideas are good.   You gotta be good to be high, right?   

If I was a leader from a poor country I'd take the free kibbles from supporting Donald Trump, even if I didn't like him.   If he threw his daughter Ivanka on me to make whoring myself out appear even more attractive, that'd work too. :rolleyes:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C4pZ1d3WAAEHWfH.jpg

I'd imagine that economically simplistic Trump would probably welcome a economic reset from China, that way he could institute his inward agenda and then blame China if and when it fails. I somehow think that American planners view North Korea much the same way... i.e. an extension of China. And as such it should be treated as such. So what if North Korea has nuclear weapons. The message from Washington should be loud and clear. NK misbehaves then we go to war with both of you. That way you call the Chinese bluff and all the bullchit that goes with it.

Ivanka would make a fine foreign secretary. Have fun. 

• Like 1

On 21 March 2017 at 9:00 PM, preacherman76 said:

Well that's half way there. Now we need to get out of the UN all together. Its a total joke.  

How is the UN a joke? I read this alot from republicans, especially after Bush jr couldn't get approval to invade Iraq and rid the world from weapons of mass deception. I bet if the UN had rubber stamped every American request before the UN without thought or consequences then the UN would be "indispensable." 

Edited by Captain Risky

1 minute ago, Captain Risky said:

I'd imagine that economically simplistic Trump would probably welcome a economic reset from China, that way he could institute his inward agenda and then blame China if and when it fails. I somehow think that American planners view North Korea much the same way... i.e. an extension of China. And as such it should be treated as such. So what if North Korea has nuclear weapons. The message from Washington should be loud and clear. NK misbehaves then we go to war with both of you. That way you call the Chinese bluff and all the bullchit that goes with it.

Ivanka would make a fine foreign secretary. Have fun. 

That message from WashDC will never come because we could only invade N Korea with the permission of China.   I don't think that's going to happen because N Korea is very valuable to China politically, geographically.    If China had great relations with Japan and they both shared our interests on the Korean peninsula but they don't.  It's the same impasse Putin created in Syria.   We can't bully China with conventional weapons off the coast of China so regime change in N Korea isn't a plausible option anymore. 

Put another way, "They're laughing at us." says Trump.   So more military spending it is.   That'll stop em from laughing at us yok yok.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Yamato said:

That message from WashDC will never come because we could only invade N Korea with the permission of China.   I don't think that's going to happen because N Korea is very valuable to China politically, geographically.    If China had great relations with Japan and they both shared our interests on the Korean peninsula but they don't.  It's the same impasse Putin created in Syria.   We can't bully China with conventional weapons off the coast of China so regime change in N Korea isn't a plausible option anymore. 

Put another way, "They're laughing at us." says Trump.   So more military spending it is.   That'll stop em from laughing at us yok yok.

I would have thought that a 'Arab Spring' North Korea type revolt would be  better approach that outright war. But when in doubt i guess more military spending will do.