Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Strange Case of the Minnesota Iceman

Claire.

The Strange Case of the Minnesota Iceman

The modern-day corpse of a human-like hominid, preserved in a block of ice, encountered by researchers in the 1960s, you say?

Surely the zoological discovery of the century!

The odd bones, hairs and so on sometimes said to be evidence for Bigfoot or the Yeti are a far cry from the most remarkable piece of data associated with the so-called crypto-hominids – the complete carcass of a hirsute male hominid, 1.8 m tall, preserved in ice and transported about the United States as part of a travelling exhibition belonging to Frank D. Hansen. At this time – late 1968 – the specimen was known as the ‘Siberskoye Creature’.

Read more: Scientific American

• Like 2

More classic Tetzoo. I love the Minnesota Iceman business. I still have the E-Bay photos. And as I said in the comments section there, Bernard Heuvelmans was not the most sceptical of researchers. But he could write fantastic (in both senses of the word) books.  

• Like 2

Whatever became of it?  I remember this from my (distant youth) and it was big news, presumably something must have been done with it, someone come forward to explain, etc?

I hope someone knows?

3 hours ago, KevinCthulhu said:

Whatever became of it?  I remember this from my (distant youth) and it was big news, presumably something must have been done with it, someone come forward to explain, etc?

I hope someone knows?

Yeah, it was sold on E-Bay a few years ago. As I say, I still have the photos, but I'm not sure if it's OK to post them here. I believe it's now on display in Austin, Texas, in the 'museum of the Weird'. I think it reached about $20,000 but that might be wrong.