Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Opening gambits in EU / UK exit negotiations;

keithisco

Whilst waiting for some more leaks to come from the EU 27 meetings, I have looked again at the Multi-Annual Financial Framework (2014-2020) and in particular the high-level group chaired by Mario Monti (extracts below). Currently the EU is not allowed to raise taxation in member states (re-iterated in this report) but unless I am mistaken this is precisely what they are proposing (see bloded type-my emphasis).

Why is the EU vehemently against the UK lowering its rate of Corporation Tax after Brexit? ... because it appears that the EU wants to impose its very own Corporation Tax regime, which invariably means increasing it. If the UK lowered its own Corporation Tax rate after Brexit then the flow of businesses out of the EU to the UK could hurt it.

My POV?... the UK has some very strong negotiating cards to play, and lets ensure that Mrs May does not surrender our Exclusive Economic Zone (fishing rights) on the altar of French, Dutch, and Spanish fishing lobbies. 

A high-level group, chaired by former Italian Prime Minister and EU Commissioner Mario Monti, has published a review of the own resources system in January 2017. The group had been tasked with examining how EU revenues could become more transparent, fair, simple and democratically accountable.  The group made a series of recommendations:

• reform of both the EU’s revenue and spending is necessary.

• certain principles should guide reform.

These include a focus on areas that bring the biggest ‘European Added Value’ and budget neutrality, that is the composition of revenues should change, but the total amount of revenues should not increase.

• the principle of budget balance (revenues meeting expenditure), customs duties and levies, and using GNI to balance the budget should remain.

• a new mix of revenues should be considered including those that improve the functioning of the single market and those that relate to energy union, environment, climate of transport policies; 

• revenue from other sources should be considered – for example, auctioning proceeds or other revenue stemming from EU policies.

• The wider costs and benefits from EU membership should be better reflected

• correction mechanisms should be abolished

• there should be greater coherence between EU and national budgets

• a certain degree of flexibility should be allowed on the fundamental budgetary principles of unity and universality.

The euro area is specifically mentioned as an area where there could be some differentiation on revenues. 

The group was keen to stress that the EU does not have the power to levy taxes, only Member States do. Reform would not seek such powers for the EU. 

The group put forward possible candidates for new EU revenues:

• revenues related to the single market and fiscal coordination:

─ a reformed VAT-resource

─ an EU corporate income tax

─ a financial transaction tax and other financial activities’ tax    

• Revenues related to the Energy Union, environment, climate or transport polcies:

─ a CO2 levy

─ proceeds from the European emission trade system

─ an electricity tax

─ a motor fuel levy

─ indirect taxation of imported goods produced in third countries with high emissions

The group’s recommendations will feed into negotiations over the next MFF and updates to the Own Resources Decision. Negotiations are expected to begin in 2018

Source Document:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Image result for theresa may whip

That is disturbing on so many levels :no:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, keithisco said:

Whilst waiting for some more leaks to come from the EU 27 meetings, I have looked again at the Multi-Annual Financial Framework (2014-2020) and in particular the high-level group chaired by Mario Monti (extracts below). Currently the EU is not allowed to raise taxation in member states (re-iterated in this report) but unless I am mistaken this is precisely what they are proposing (see bloded type-my emphasis).

Why is the EU vehemently against the UK lowering its rate of Corporation Tax after Brexit? ... because it appears that the EU wants to impose its very own Corporation Tax regime, which invariably means increasing it. If the UK lowered its own Corporation Tax rate after Brexit then the flow of businesses out of the EU to the UK could hurt it.

My POV?... the UK has some very strong negotiating cards to play, and lets ensure that Mrs May does not surrender our Exclusive Economic Zone (fishing rights) on the altar of French, Dutch, and Spanish fishing lobbies. 

Source Document:

Well I'm guessing they don't want multinationals setting up in post brexit Britain and accessing the EU market and not playing any tax. Which would create a price or rather tax war between the UK and the EU. Another reason why the EU will not play nice with the UK during brexit talks. 

14 hours ago, stevewinn said:

A lot is being made of this 'divorce' bill, the Pro-EU, UK Media are all over it like a rash. But what they don't say is how much is coming the UK's way. Like you've mentioned if we are being excluded from meetings etc... then money is owed.

The EU is obsessed about money, that's been the language so far, but then again its what they are running out of, the UK represents 12% of their budget.

Has anyone else noticed how the EU is the one whose placing demands, the UK must do this, the UK must ensure that. I don't think they understand how negotiations work. they are under the false presumption they can still dictate to us like we'll always be a member.

I seen a headline on Sky News stating Jean Claude Druncker after he met with Theresa May, apparently we have underestimated how hard Brexit is going to be. it did make me laugh. :lol:

Also Donald Tusk saying the UK must first ensure the rights of EU citizens in the UK, having the right to live, work and study. - Well, we can agree to that in return for the EU to open trade talks at the same time after all it makes sense - apparently if we hard brexit it will cost thousands of jobs, well if that's true why would we need the continuation of supply, of cheap eastern European labour for jobs that will no longer exist.

There is nothing coming to the UK. The EU will not implode as you are hoping for and they will negotiate collectively and hard. I must admit the EU will have a difficult time in plugging the finances once the UK leaves. 

Bolded: tell you want i noticed, stevewinn... the UK not disagreeing with the brexit timetable or the demands being asked of it. If the UK had any real power or say in brexit then surely wouldn't PM May just say 'get lost EU' we're not doing things your way but our way? The fact that May hasn't said that speaks volumes on the complexity of the situation of the UK.  

Red: Approximately 1.2 million Brit's live and work in the EU compared to 3 million EU nationals living and working in the UK. Baring a straight population swap i can't see another way forward that would increase the hand of the UK in negotiating brexit terms. 

8 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

There is nothing coming to the UK. The EU will not implode as you are hoping for and they will negotiate collectively and hard. I must admit the EU will have a difficult time in plugging the finances once the UK leaves. 

Bolded: tell you want i noticed, stevewinn... the UK not disagreeing with the brexit timetable or the demands being asked of it. If the UK had any real power or say in brexit then surely wouldn't PM May just say 'get lost EU' we're not doing things your way but our way? The fact that May hasn't said that speaks volumes on the complexity of the situation of the UK.  

Red: Approximately 1.2 million Brit's live and work in the EU compared to 3 million EU nationals living and working in the UK. Baring a straight population swap i can't see another way forward that would increase the hand of the UK in negotiating brexit terms. 

I think Captain Risky, that until some actual detail emerges-such as the Bill, the way it is calculated, just what the 23 questions are re.foreign workers etc then Mrs May has very little to argue with. Ultimately, the EU 27 has considerably less than 2 years to complete negotiations before the UK just walks away and that is economically disastrous for many manufacturing sectors in the EU 27.

A 10% corporation tax regime in the UK is alarming to the EU 27, and it can be implemented very quickly whilst maintaining safeguards to ensure transparency. This is not a "Tax Haven" solution, but a low tax, attractive destination for many businesses that would offset any tariff barriers imposed under WTO rules, and with the weaker exchange rate then it would make perfect economic sense to be located in the UK to take advantage of an open-economy with world trading links

As for being a united EU 27: I think this will very quickly unravel as national interests and bi-lateral "informal" discussions take place.  

My post # 201 shows just what the EU 27 are planning with raising direct taxation from its members as a step towards their final dream of a Pan European Autocracy. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

You have to be realistic, the UK cannot allow the EU to implode. its in no-ones interest to have a "imploded" EU as our neighbour. If you cast your mind back to Theresa May's speech for which i posted the video she clearly states the UK's position to have a close relationship with the EU.

As for the UK disagreeing with the EU's time table, or demands, well do you think that could be because the EU as not officially presented any official document to the UK containing any of the above. for example the much spoken about "divorce" bill, the EU has not presented any figure and still hasn't after their latest meeting, in fact going wider than that The EU has yet to set out any bill with financial and legal credibility that goes beyond our regular contributions up to withdrawal date.

What did come out of the EU's meeting was the wording such as; “wish to have  the UK as a close partner in the future” They say they are ready “to initiate an agreement on trade, to be finalised and concluded once the UK is no longer a member state”. They want agreements that go wider than trade, to include security. They seem to accept in principle reciprocal rights for EU citizens in the UK and UK citizens in the EU. - It seems their position as changed somewhat from all the bluff and bluster. 

Its funny how the EU have to continually remind themselves they are united, acting as one, they mustn't be very confident if they feel the need to constantly repeat it. As for the UK we have to hope this is true and remains so as it'll be much simpler for us to negotiate with one voice instead of 27.

The United Kingdom as much as people would like to proclaim we are weak, seem to overlook the fact the UK is still a global power, economically, culturally and militarily and goes without saying a regional power in the European order, a GDP twice the size of Russia, the only credible Military in Europe, and not counting our membership of NATO, for whom the EU depend upon for their defence and security. as a member of the IMF possibility exists to veto any further bailout of EU members countries.

see we keep hearing how complex exiting the EU is going to be, really? The United Kingdom as the experience of being in a Union, a successful Union one that just so happens to be 310 years old today (1 May 1707) through the centuries the UK as had the institutions to govern and hold together that union. We have the knowledge and experience, and in the grand scheme of Geopolitics that is our number one goal and focus the United Kingdom and secondary Europe, as the great European balance of power, the UK can leave the EU with ease compared to France for example, the French still like to think of them themselves as a global power, but a global power which as handed over its sovereign currency and control of its borders.

At the end of the day the question that needs asking is what measures can the EU take to impact or hinder the UK, the only answer is a trade war. but even then any trade war would impact upon the EU itself, then the question will be one of who can endure the longest. and the answer to that would be the United Kingdom. but such actions would be frowned upon by the wider Western world, as the EU would be breaking WTO rules, it would also have an effect of weakening members of NATO, which would not be received to kindly in the White house. not when Russia is knocking on the EU's door.

So a few things to ponder there Captain Risky.

And just to add its early days yet a long way to go.

• Like 4

There are 220,000 Romanian economic migrants in the UK (there is no data available to know how many are gainfully employed, but if it is anything like Spain, then we have the worst, most feckless individuals that Romania is glad to be rid of)...

... so it comes as no surprise that the Romanian minister  delegate for European Affairs (Ana Birchall)  is demanding that they ALL be handed UK Passports with full residency rights (you couldn't make this up!!)

Read more:

Edited by keithisco
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, keithisco said:

There are 220,000 Romanian economic migrants in the UK (there is no data available to know how many are gainfully employed, but if it is anything like Spain, then we have the worst, most feckless individuals that Romania is glad to be rid of)...

... so it comes as no surprise that the Romanian minister  delegate for European Affairs (Ana Birchall)  is demanding that they ALL be handed UK Passports with full residency rights (you couldn't make this up!!)

Read more:

remember when we threw open the doors to Romania and Bulgaria and Nigel Farage warned they would come in the tens of thousands. and he got dragged across the coals as only 12,000 turned up when the first set of figures came out and here we are now with figures like 220,000.

But what is not mentioned is how much money is flowing from the UK  to countries in Europe as EU workers send the money back home! and not just that how much social benefits are being paid to EU citizens in their home countries such as Children getting Child support from the British tax payer and not even living in the UK. Its no wonder the little countries of the EU are worried about their citizens rights, it cuts off the flow of money to their country.

Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 1

Macron, if elected will cause headaches for Merkel. Not least of which will be open borders. The French have had their fill of unchecked rampant immigration. I think Brexit has served its purpose afterall. Borders and free movement will come to an end and so I suspect will German dominance. A different EU that will go a long way to justifying the ground swell that created Brexit will emerge. Otherwise the EU will implode.

18 hours ago, stevewinn said:

The United Kingdom as much as people would like to proclaim we are weak, seem to overlook the fact the UK is still a global power, economically, culturally and militarily and goes without saying a regional power in the European order, a GDP twice the size of Russia, the only credible Military in Europe

You don't rate the Germans then? The French did that before in 1940. :-/ 

* According to http://www.globalfirepower.com/,

united-kingdom.gif
United Kingdom
Ranked as 6 of 126
GFP Power Index rating of 0.2198

germany.gif
Germany
Ranked as 9 of 126
GFP Power Index rating of 0.2634

but

france.gif

France
Ranked as 5 of 126
GFP Power Index rating of 0.2001

(needless to say,

united-states-of-america.gif

United States of America
Ranked as 1 of 126
GFP Power Index rating of 0.0891) 

12 hours ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

You don't rate the Germans then? The French did that before in 1940. :-/ 

If your talking about military versus military then that's another subject; and i was not referring to that in my post.

If your talking about in the context of Brexit, the EU, NATO and geopolitics; the answer is no, - As we are all aware, many of the countries in europe where created and shaped by the larger European powers in the wider European order. like we've seen through time, Treaty of Utrecht in 1713, the 18th-century European balance of power, the Treaty of Vienna in 1815, the Versailles Treaty of 1919, to 1945 and beyond – The UK has been central to the European order, far more than any other power. This remains true even today, because the EU depends entirely on NATO, of which Britain is the dominant European member, for its security.

As we know the EU was set up to stop Europe going to war three times in one century, the idea was to prevent Germany dominating Europe, in order for that to be achieved the loss of National sovereignty was required, as we see with the EU today. France controls neither its own currency nor its own borders, and while it could in theory restore its sovereignty, this cannot be done without simultaneously establishing that of Germany, which is the one thing that French participation in the European Union project and Eurozone was designed to prevent. ( as i alluded to in a earlier post; much easier for us to leave the EU than France)

Europe is made up of many small countries who have "sovereignty" at the behest of the European powers, and have very little choice but to be absorbed by the larger powers into the European Union,- but this swings both ways, - for example Germany is too big to be allowed to have national sovereignty, the rest too weak for it to be meaningful. We on the other hand have a constitutional and geopolitical agility, small enough to be distinct and large enough to be viable, therefore in a geopolitical sense we see no need to hand our sovereignty over to a still larger union (EU)

Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 1

In today's news, have you seen that Donald Trusk and EU Chiefs have demanded that the Uk pay a 100 billion Euro divorce bill? Well, the UK doesn't use Euros, does it. So how can it? he didn't think of that see did he. Silly man. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

In today's news, have you seen that Donald Trusk and EU Chiefs have demanded that the Uk pay a 100 billion Euro divorce bill? Well, the UK doesn't use Euros, does it. So how can it? he didn't think of that see did he. Silly man. 

saw this today "Count von Dreidecker" and it really does make me wonder just what the EU27 are playing at. Firstly it was 50-60 billion Euro now it has leaped to 100 billion Euros, clearly they are making this stuff up as they go along. UK was never going to pay the first amount, so now they double the bill using the ancient belief that the UK will feel that they have got a good deal by only paying half of the demand. The naivety coming from Brussels is quite staggering. :w00t:

Currently listening live to the Committee on Economic and Monetary Affairs - it is quite incredible the depth of regulating by the EU that is going on - losing the will to live...

• Like 3

15 hours ago, stevewinn said:

If your talking about military versus military then that's another subject; and i was not referring to that in my post.

If your talking about in the context of Brexit, the EU, NATO and geopolitics; the answer is no, - As we are all aware, many of the countries in europe where created and shaped by the larger European powers in the wider European order. like we've seen through time, Treaty of Utrecht in 1713, the 18th-century European balance of power, the Treaty of Vienna in 1815, the Versailles Treaty of 1919, to 1945 and beyond – The UK has been central to the European order, far more than any other power. This remains true even today, because the EU depends entirely on NATO, of which Britain is the dominant European member, for its security.

As we know the EU was set up to stop Europe going to war three times in one century, the idea was to prevent Germany dominating Europe, in order for that to be achieved the loss of National sovereignty was required, as we see with the EU today. France controls neither its own currency nor its own borders, and while it could in theory restore its sovereignty, this cannot be done without simultaneously establishing that of Germany, which is the one thing that French participation in the European Union project and Eurozone was designed to prevent. ( as i alluded to in a earlier post; much easier for us to leave the EU than France)

Europe is made up of many small countries who have "sovereignty" at the behest of the European powers, and have very little choice but to be absorbed by the larger powers into the European Union,- but this swings both ways, - for example Germany is too big to be allowed to have national sovereignty, the rest too weak for it to be meaningful. We on the other hand have a constitutional and geopolitical agility, small enough to be distinct and large enough to be viable, therefore in a geopolitical sense we see no need to hand our sovereignty over to a still larger union (EU)

The EU was set up to allow economic prosperity to act as a safeguard against communism and intertwine Europe. It has succeeded. As long as the EU is functioning, Britain will be excluded from all but the most basic European institutions. Without European representation I can't really see your point. What geopolitical advantage does the U.K stand to win?

Edited by Captain Risky

I thought thr EU was created to avoid s repeat of ww2? And against facism?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, keithisco said:

saw this today "Count von Dreidecker" and it really does make me wonder just what the EU27 are playing at. Firstly it was 50-60 billion Euro now it has leaped to 100 billion Euros, clearly they are making this stuff up as they go along. UK was never going to pay the first amount, so now they double the bill using the ancient belief that the UK will feel that they have got a good deal by only paying half of the demand. The naivety coming from Brussels is quite staggering. :w00t:

Currently listening live to the Committee on Economic and Monetary Affairs - it is quite incredible the depth of regulating by the EU that is going on - losing the will to live...

Amazing no one even mentioned a divorce bill during the Brexit debate. Imagine if someone had said the UK needs to pay 100 billion euros to leave... 

38 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

Amazing no one even mentioned a divorce bill during the Brexit debate. Imagine if someone had said the UK needs to pay 100 billion euros to leave... 

...which goes to show that it is nothing more than opportunism by the EU to extort money from the UK fill its coffers. This 100billion euros equates to 12 years of continued net payments to the EU (based on 2016 data). Barnier also stated that the financial bill being demanded by the EU27 will not be made public... EU transparency at its best!

Apparently we also have to guarantee lifetime rights to any EU27 national living in the UK that rocks up between now and the final Brexit date. at least that is what the EU27 negotiating team are demanding.

As an aside, the EU27 has also banned our PM from attending any negotiations by the Commission with the UK representatives (much the same way that the PM for Greece was barred from all negotiations regarding its various bail-outs) which, to my mind, is exceedingly disrespectful and engineered to increase animosity.

In the final analysis; the EU27 have no intention of really trying to negotiate, this is simply the start of their small-minded attempts to intimidate any other nation from even thinking of leaving the "Union". Unfortunately for them not only has "the worm turned", but it is also outperforming the EU by almost every marker.  

Edited by keithisco
  • Like 3

I've been trying to get some clarity on the newly announced 100 billion euro bill. It appears that intense lobbying from both France and Poland to the EU 27 negotiators has "inspired" them to include a continuation of Farming Subsidies, to be paid by the UK, after Brexit. Just when I thought the EU27 couldn't get any more delusional they go and prove me wrong...

Following the requests of several member states, the EU has raised its opening demand for Britain’s Brexit bill to an upfront gross payment of up to €100bn, according to the Financial Times. France and Poland have pushed to include post-Brexit annual farm payments in the sum of money  

Link to report

• Like 1

Having watched events of the last few hours; - the EU proving to the world why its a laughing stock., firstly the demands by the EU put to the UK, the upto €100Billion figure, everyone knows the UK is not and will not cough up any such figure.

secondly;- the rights of EU citizens in the UK, and that EU citizens living in the UK their rights should be underpinned by the European Court of Justice, its so bizarre, i had to check it was official.

Thirdly;- the EU leaking what's said in private meetings. Jean Claude Druncker visits Number 10 Downing street to meet the Prime Minister, at the end of the meeting both sides officially state it was cordial and constructive, then once the delegation returned to Brussels "leaks" of the meeting start to appear, such things are trivial to the general public but significant to world leaders who'll be watching events very closely, the EU already has a reputation of untrustworthiness and frustratingly difficult to deal with, which has soured many a relationship already.

Moving on slightly, is anyone else absolutely disgusted by the opposition parties? i mean the EU issues these 'threats' and the Labour Party Lib Dems and SNP all line up against the Prime Minister, with no condemnation of the EU's gambit. :o surely this is going to bite these parties on the bum.

Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 4

...whilst trying to gauge just how childish and petulant the EU is going to get about Brexit I came across this in the Daily Telegraph:

...His intervention came after the European Commission's chief spokesman accused Mrs May of "excited" electioneering. Magaritas Schinas also suggested that the commission is too "busy" to concern itself with Mrs May's comments.

He said: "We are not naive, we know that there is an election taking place in the United Kingdom. People get excited whenever we have elections.

"We have too much to do on our plate. So, in a nutshell, we are very busy. And we will not Brexitise our work. "To put it in the words of an EU diplomat, the 30-minute slot that we are going to devote to Brexit per week, for this week it's up."

Source:

• Like 2

I's all turning pretty nasty now isn't it --

bottom line is that the EU may TRY to actually destroy Britain economically to save itself..?

to put other countries off going down the same road...

and various people in British politics are trying to help them with this -

I absolutely cannot stand that Tim Farron -

• Like 4

On 03/05/2017 at 8:28 PM, stevewinn said:

Moving on slightly, is anyone else absolutely disgusted by the opposition parties? i mean the EU issues these 'threats' and the Labour Party Lib Dems and SNP all line up against the Prime Minister, with no condemnation of the EU's gambit. :o surely this is going to bite these parties on the bum.

I am absolutely disgusted -

They are putting Party Politics before the good of the country - this is a unique situation with us leaving the EU
and we can't afford to have these selfish politicians wrecking it and behaving like traitors -

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, bee said:

I's all turning pretty nasty now isn't it --.

Think this says it all really:

English language 'losing importance', EU's Juncker says

"European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker has told a conference on the EU that "English is losing importance in Europe".

He was speaking in Florence, Italy, amid tensions with the UK government over looming Brexit negotiations.

He said his speech was in French "because slowly but surely English is losing importance in Europe and also because France has an election"."

If this drunken old tosspot is an indication of where negotions are heading, then any deal with the EU is going to end with two words, the second being "off."

Hopefully this will receive some coverage in the States too. I'm sure they'll appreciate his rhetoric as much as we do - they'd have been speaking German now if not for... etc., etc.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, LV-426 said:

Think this says it all really:

English language 'losing importance', EU's Juncker says

"European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker has told a conference on the EU that "English is losing importance in Europe".

He was speaking in Florence, Italy, amid tensions with the UK government over looming Brexit negotiations.

He said his speech was in French "because slowly but surely English is losing importance in Europe and also because France has an election"."

If this drunken old tosspot is an indication of where negotions are heading, then any deal with the EU is going to end with two words, the second being "off."

Hopefully this will receive some coverage in the States too. I'm sure they'll appreciate his rhetoric as much as we do - they'd have been speaking German now if not for... etc., etc.

Perhaps Juncker needs to see the reality of the importance of the English language, and in particular look at the figures below that pertain to French mother-language European countries that teach English as a 2nd language: 

European Countries With The Highest Level Of English Education

Rank Country % of Secondary School Students Learning English
1 Czech Republic 100.0 %
2 Malta 100.0 %
3 Netherlands 100.0 %
4 Sweden 100.0 %
5 Liechtenstein 100.0 %
6 Romania 99.9 %
7 France 99.7 %
8 Austria 99.6 %
9 Finland 99.6 %
10 Turkey 99.4 %