Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Opening gambits in EU / UK exit negotiations;

keithisco

22 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Forget the EU and the rest. The real threat is from the enemy within - Cambridge Analytica.

Hands up who heard of Cambridge Analytica, i'd never heard of them before and people ive asked haven't heard of them either. I'd question their effectiveness in the claims they make if their source for collecting data is from the Internet based idiot magnet.

Its funny how it only involves Trump and Brexit, the two events which have crushed the Left.

• Like 4

Having had a closer look at the Draft Implementation period a couple of things do rankle with me:

1. The Common Fisheries Policy will remain in force during transition and the UK will only be "consulted" on new quotas. I would rather see the UK being given a veto in this area during transition (we are talking about UK Natural Resources NOT EU). I would also suggest that the value to the EU27 of these fishing rights (2Bn Euros each year) be deducted from the final Bill)

2. Continuing the open doors policy to the EU WITH their citizens gaining equal rights with those that came here up to the actual date of Brexit.

That said, if these 2 concessions are reciprocated in the Trade Deal whereby Financial Services WILL form a part then I would be prepared to accept them, but you have to get something concrete in return

• Like 1

21 hours ago, keithisco said:

Having had a closer look at the Draft Implementation period a couple of things do rankle with me:

1. The Common Fisheries Policy will remain in force during transition and the UK will only be "consulted" on new quotas. I would rather see the UK being given a veto in this area during transition (we are talking about UK Natural Resources NOT EU). I would also suggest that the value to the EU27 of these fishing rights (2Bn Euros each year) be deducted from the final Bill)

2. Continuing the open doors policy to the EU WITH their citizens gaining equal rights with those that came here up to the actual date of Brexit.

That said, if these 2 concessions are reciprocated in the Trade Deal whereby Financial Services WILL form a part then I would be prepared to accept them, but you have to get something concrete in return

Im not happy with it, once again the approach of the British Govt is one of "we don't want to leave, but we have to" Theresa May is giving to much away with very little in return. but then i guess we have to see what the bigger picture is at the end, when the time comes when everything is agreed. its worth remembering Parliament will be voting on this, it'll be interesting to see the points and detail raised and just how the politicians vote.

I wonder how well it will go down with the Public when under no legal responsibility to but CHOOSE to out of nothing else but good will to hand over £39Billion. or voting on handing back powers which have been reclaimed by Brexit, or our Fishing grounds where we could agree to let EU fishermen continue to fish in our waters under licence bringing in revenue to the UK, and we'd be responsible for the rules, terms and quotas, instead handing all that power to Brussels like our natural resource is theirs. 

If the Tories or Theresa May continues with their/ her current approach of appeaser then after March 29th 2019 and the transition period as started It will be time for her to go, What follows will be a sea change right across politics in this country, the deadwood, the Diana Abbotts and Rachael Maskell's of this era of politics for which there are many of their ilk who sit in Parliament will be found out and in short order. -  MP's will have powers and responsibilities not seen in British politics for nearly half a century, the future prosperity of this country good or bad will rest on their shoulders. The greatest threat or challenge is not Brexit or leaving with No deal - the greatest threat to that future prosperity is the dire quality in Parliament the majority wont be able to handle it. i'll even go as far as to make a prediction that within 10 years from now less than 20 of the current 650 MP's in Parliament will still be there.

Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 1

Im afraid i've got some bad News.......For the remoaners that is.

UK trade up 11.5%.  year to Jan 2018.

Services up 10.6% year to Jan 2018.

Australia - UK Trade ambition to conclude and sign deal on 1st January 2021. 

London retains top spot as world’s leading financial centre in prestigious Z/Yen index, just ahead of New York. London only European city in top 15. Frankfurt, at 20, is down 9 places. Now behind Dubai. (funny how being in the EU doesn't help the likes of frankfurt ect... also note how the EU doesn't have a single market in Financial services of which it would benefit the UK economy. but sees fit to have a single market to help German manufacturing and French Agriculture.

Accounts - worth scrolling through to see all the hard work that's going on 'behind the scenes'

https://twitter.com/tradegovuk

https://twitter.com/LiamFox

https://twitter.com/AntoniaRomeoUK?lang=en

• Like 2

7 hours ago, stevewinn said:

Im afraid i've got some bad News.......For the remoaners that is.

UK trade up 11.5%.  year to Jan 2018.

Services up 10.6% year to Jan 2018.

Australia - UK Trade ambition to conclude and sign deal on 1st January 2021. 

London retains top spot as world’s leading financial centre in prestigious Z/Yen index, just ahead of New York. London only European city in top 15. Frankfurt, at 20, is down 9 places. Now behind Dubai. (funny how being in the EU doesn't help the likes of frankfurt ect... also note how the EU doesn't have a single market in Financial services of which it would benefit the UK economy. but sees fit to have a single market to help German manufacturing and French Agriculture.

Accounts - worth scrolling through to see all the hard work that's going on 'behind the scenes'

https://twitter.com/tradegovuk

https://twitter.com/LiamFox

https://twitter.com/AntoniaRomeoUK?lang=en

As your post clearly demonstrates...there is no "downside" to Brexit. The UK was asked to increase exports, and for many companies this has meant exporting for the first time, the UK-Aus Free Trade deal is being mooted as the largest deal in Aus history, and the Eurozone GDP is shrinking again (to an anticipated 2%) as it is incapable of reacting to world pressures. Speaking of which, Germany is pressing for much tighter fiscal control to prevent their own Economy from over-heating meaning that all other members will suffer yet again (no-one argues with Germany in the Eurozone) which  will certainly lead to rising anti-EU sentiment. Looking closely at Italy...

• Like 2

Well today marks the one year countdown, with just a year left to go before the United Kingdom ends its 47 year membership of the European Union.

Expect the Kitchen sink to be thrown at it by the Anti-Democratic Remoaners, Tony B'liar et'al will be on the TV, Radio and Printed press every other day.

Dr. Liam Fox as highlighted that preliminary talks, 70 trade deals with 40 countries are under way, and Negotiations have indeed started with the United States of America, Australia and New Zealand.

Its been estimated that a trade deal alone with the USA our single biggest trading Partner would boost our economy by 0.6% to 1.2%. a year. the Impact of leaving the EU by the Treasury models is estimated to be 0.1% per year. as people can see if the model forecast is correct a trade deal with the US alone would negate this 0.1% figure. Also, our Membership fee, its a known that spending this money at home will also boost our GDP by 0.6%. - With the News today that UK growth as been forecast upwards... 1.4% 2018 and from 1.3% to 1.5%. 2019 and 2020 1.6% growth. add to these figures the known 0.6% boost of our membership money being spent here at home and and those figures increase further, and, and its a BIG AND, this is before we configure our economy for post the Brexit world where once again Britain will get to keep 100% of VAT levied and able to set VAT levels. 

I look forward to the Govt explaining where were going to invest this £17 Billion here at home. add to this the credit multiplier, wages, spending and taxes levied on this and its £1.2Trillion over the next 15 years. :D Brexit is NOT going to be a BIG Economic event, but a political one. that's why the economic models are consistently wrong.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stevewinn said:

Tony B'liar et'al will be on the TV, Radio and Printed press every other day.

Right on cue :rolleyes:

Tony Blair: It is not too late to stop Brexit

"Former Prime Minister Tony Blair has said it is not too late to stop Brexit, as the UK reaches one year to go until it leaves the European Union.

Mr Blair, a Remain campaigner, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme that it was "more likely... than a few months ago" that Brexit could be stopped."

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, LV-426 said:

Right on cue :rolleyes:

Tony Blair: It is not too late to stop Brexit

"Former Prime Minister Tony Blair has said it is not too late to stop Brexit, as the UK reaches one year to go until it leaves the European Union.

Mr Blair, a Remain campaigner, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme that it was "more likely... than a few months ago" that Brexit could be stopped."

Why the BBC or anyone else gives Tony Blair air time is beyond me, He's toxic and does project fear no good whatsoever.

Also expect stories of the "mass" exodus, mainly from the Banking sector, it will be a 100 jobs here and there from companies who employ 10,000 to 20,000+ etc..remember this when you do hear the stories remember the figure they told us, that Job losses in the City would be 80,000.

Im looking forward to the Remain meltdown. you should never go full retard but they will.

• Like 3

More Brexit news:

Thursday marked one year exactly until Britain leaves the EU. It leaves at 11pm British time on Friday 29th March 2019.

Britain is threatening to cripple the EU's Galileo satellite if the EU petulantly kicks Britain out of it.

Orwell's view of the WWII appeasers can be said of the Remainers trying to stop Brexit - Our ruling class is ashamed to British - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5563901/Orwells-view-WWII-appeasers-said-Remainers.html#ixzz5BJqYp8Nb

Theresa May buys painting of her signing Article 50 letter - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5562669/May-bought-painting-moment-signed-Article-50-letter-EU.html#ixzz5BJnylwv9

On 20/03/2018 at 3:07 PM, Ozymandias said:

Forget the EU and the rest. The real threat is from the enemy within - Cambridge Analytica.

The Cambridge Analytica (CA) scandal is the latest in a long line of excuses from those who – two years on – have yet to accept the democratic outcomes of the US presidential election and Britain’s EU referendum. Having exhausted their tedious theories about Trump winning thanks to the Russians, and Brexit thanks to a bus, now these people are talking up data company CA as the cause of the alleged political nightmares that are the Trump administration and Brexit Britain. Apparently Trump won courtesy of ‘Steve Bannon’s mind****ing tool’ – that is, CA – while sections of the Brexit campaign are said to have cheated by channelling money to a CA-linked firm.

These claims may have made international waves, but they look increasingly thin. This story could end up being an embarrassment for those who are pushing it. Here are five reasons everyone should calm down about Cambridge Analytica.

Big Data wasn’t always seen as a bad thing

The outrage over Cambridge Analytica’s data mining for political ends is not really about what they did – it’s about who they did it for. Before the Brexit and Trump earthquakes, social media were lionised for catalysing the Arab Spring, while Big Data was credited with putting Obama in the Oval Office. In 2012, the chattering classes gushed that data-driven strategy had put the soul back into politics and restored the primacy of the individual voter.

They’re only turning on Big Data now because it has ‘delivered’ – as they see it, anyway – results they don’t like. In their mind, the Cambridge Analytica ‘mind**** tool’ manipulated the plebs into voting the wrong way. If Hillary’s mind**** tools had been more successful, you can bet there would be celebrations right now over how Big Data gave America its first female president. So the very basis of this scare – that Big Data is inherently bad – is based on political bitterness, not cool-headed analysis.

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/calm-down-cambridge-analytica/21259#.Wr-Dv8jTU4M

And I think it's hilarious that the Remainers claim Vote Leave broke spending rules when the Remain camp spent a lot more money than Leave did and also broke spending rules:

Campaign spending doesn’t equal votes

The suggestion by Observer journalist Carole Cadwalladr that the £625,000 in donations that was channelled by Vote Leave to a campaign called BeLeave and the CA-linked firm AggregateIQ effectively bought the EU referendum is perhaps the most risible of the accusations in this sorry saga.

If it were true that spending more money could ‘buy’ an election, then Remain would have won by a country mile. Electoral Commission figures put the total spending of all the various Remain campaigns at £4.6million higher than the spending of all the Leave campaigns. And that doesn’t include the cost of using the Whitehall machine to promote Remain – such as the £9.3million pro-Remain leaflet sent to 27million households, flying over Obama to deliver his pro-Remain sermon, or the now totally discredited Treasury analysis promising immediate recession and mass unemployment following a vote for Brexit. An extra £625,000 on data-mining, which doesn’t even work, was not wot won it.

Remain circumvented spending rules, too

The Observer’s two whistleblowers, Christopher Wylie and Shahmir Sanni, insist that Vote Leave ‘cheated’ by funnelling the £625,000 from Vote Leave to BeLeave in order to flout campaign spending rules at the last minute. But Britain Stronger In Europe created fivenew groups to do exactly the same thing. This included The In Crowd and Best For Our Future. They split over £1million between them. Remain campaigners were fined by the Electoral Commission in December 2017 for the kind of accounting discrepancies Leave campaigners currently stand accused of. Why aren’t any of the whistleblowers and journalists up in arms about this? Because they are not pursuing a real journalistic investigation but rather a political crusade against a democratic decision they despise.

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/calm-down-cambridge-analytica/21259#.Wr-Dv8jTU4M

Edited by Black Monk

Annual growth in total investment spending,  state, business and private in the UK was the highest of any G7 country during 2017, according to figures published by the Office for National Statistics (March 30)

Also, Its was a record year for UK tech investment, with London-based firms attracting the lion’s share of funding, The findings also revealed that the UK is Europe’s leading country for global tech investors, with British tech firms attracting more venture capital funding than any other European country in 2017. more than Germany & France combined.

In related Economic NEWS.

Greek Debt 180% of GDP

Italian Debt 135% of GDP

Portugal Debt 132% of GDP

Spain Debt 102% of GDP

Unemployment in the EU.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/268830/unemployment-rate-in-eu-countries/

Youth Unemployment in the EU.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/266228/youth-unemployment-rate-in-eu-countries/

EU given up on its Youth??? and according to the British Media, the Yooth in this country think we should remain in the EU, and those who voted leave were to un-edumacated to understand the issue but edumacated enouf to understand the Bus. :P Do the youth not understand the bleak future the EU offers their generation, the only future it offers the masses is one of migration on low pay to pick crops in a foreign land. 

• Like 1

I cant believe it, im absolutely fuming, a major hurdle as been put in place, its more of a road block then a hurdle it looks like and it could spell the end of Brexit, even i have to face the possibility is not going to happen, The Labour Party have put in an amendment to the Brexit Bill which will repeal our Article 50 letter and the EU have agreed to the article 50 letter being withdrawn. I knew they'd find away to stop Brexit somehow some way, the pressure from the Remain driven media and the fact Labour have done everything they can to stop Brexit. The off the record briefings by Remain MP's on their meetings with Juncker and Barnier have undermined the British negotiating position. - where the hell do we go from here, I have to admit it @Captain Risky he said this was a possibility and its bloody well happening. - the fact the Labour Party along with rebel Tories have the numbers to pass this amendment, plus it will be passed with ease in the House of Lords and in effect stop Brexit. what can we Brexiteers do? we'll have to do something. i await to see what the response is by Brexiteer MP's surely they have to remove May, Is this the date and time when democracy in the UK died?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/uk_leaves_the_eu

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

I cant believe it, im absolutely fuming, a major hurdle as been put in place, its more of a road block then a hurdle it looks like and it could spell the end of Brexit, even i have to face the possibility is not going to happen, The Labour Party have put in an amendment to the Brexit Bill which will repeal our Article 50 letter and the EU have agreed to the article 50 letter being withdrawn. I knew they'd find away to stop Brexit somehow some way, the pressure from the Remain driven media and the fact Labour have done everything they can to stop Brexit. The off the record briefings by Remain MP's on their meetings with Juncker and Barnier have undermined the British negotiating position. - where the hell do we go from here, I have to admit it @Captain Risky he said this was a possibility and its bloody well happening. - the fact the Labour Party along with rebel Tories have the numbers to pass this amendment, plus it will be passed with ease in the House of Lords and in effect stop Brexit. what can we Brexiteers do? we'll have to do something. i await to see what the response is by Brexiteer MP's surely they have to remove May, Is this the date and time when democracy in the UK died?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/uk_leaves_the_eu

Brilliant! sucked me in like a gobstopper :lol::w00t::rofl:

• Like 1

Just a thought... shouldn't the UK have invoked Article 127 of the EEA Agreement on the 29th March? 12 months notice is required to exit both the Single Market and the Customs Union

• Like 1

3 hours ago, keithisco said:

Just a thought... shouldn't the UK have invoked Article 127 of the EEA Agreement on the 29th March? 12 months notice is required to exit both the Single Market and the Customs Union

Good post, and very interesting; it must be covered under article 50 as to be outside of the EU, EFTA and ECJ means to be outside the customs Union and single market. or maybe we have to remain in for the sake of the transition period?

A very interesting commentary piece concerning Singapore who, in similar vein to the UK chose to leave a much larger neighbour, namely Malaysia. They had their own version of Remainers who, as we have, were blind to the opportunities they were presented with, and an equally emotional response of doom and gloom. It behoves Remainers and Leavers equally to take the time to read the whole article....

In the National Museum of Singapore they play footage of the country’s first democratically elected leader, Lee Kuan Yew, breaking down in tears following the island’s decision to breakaway from their much larger neighbour, Malaysia, in 1965.

One of the reasons given for this very public display of dolour was that Singapore was just too small. It needed its larger neighbour to help navigate the choppy currents of world trade. In the end, one key factor in the breakup of the two countries was the protectionist tendencies of the larger nation rubbing up against the free-trading spirit of the Singaporeans.

In 1965, Malaysia’s GDP per capita was 310 USD; Singapore’s was 516 USD. Britain’s was 1850 USD.

But the city-state’s free-trading past was established nearly 150 years before its secession from Malaysia. When Sir Stamford Raffles landed in Singapore in 1819, he wanted to put in place a tariff-free port in order to compete against established Dutch and Portuguese posts in the region. Three decades later when the Governor General of British India arrived, a monument was erected, which,

‘emphatically recognised the wisdom of liberating commerce from all restraints, under which enlightened policy [Singapore] has rapidly attained its present rank… and with which its future prosperity must ever be identified.’

What, then, was the source of anguish for Lee Kuan Yew’s emotional public meltdown? Surely Singapore could simply rediscover its voracious free-trading past? What now is the source of today’s anguish and obstinacy among those Remainers who refuse to be bold and rediscover old ways in a new future? Surely a country like Britain can look to the future with confidence and optimism?

Source

• Like 2

and the hard work continues.

https://twitter.com/tradegovukIND/status/982958739098558465

A British long held tradition of a reformer when it comes to trade.

• Like 2

Had to laugh, over the weekend the Pro-EU supporters came out in force to demand a second referendum - With celebs, chief reomaners and the Remoaner campaign well financed and backed by George Soros et'al - a turn out of just 1,200 people was had. It shows the lack of public support for reversing the direction of Brexit. I've said it all along when the British people are faced with upholding democracy they will always choose to do so. 

• Like 2

Got to say that I had to chuckle when I heard of the "vast" crowds that this meeting attracted. I particularly like that Patrick Stewart was their "Flag-Bearer", considering that he lives in Brooklyn and apart from a brief spell, spent most of his adult life living in LA. Not forgetting that he is a self-professed, Labour Party member and left wing Socialist.

He really does perfectly personify the Champagne Socialists of this era., 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, keithisco said:

Got to say that I had to chuckle when I heard of the "vast" crowds that this meeting attracted. I particularly like that Patrick Stewart was their "Flag-Bearer", considering that he lives in Brooklyn and apart from a brief spell, spent most of his adult life living in LA. Not forgetting that he is a self-professed, Labour Party member and left wing Socialist.

He really does perfectly personify the Champagne Socialists of this era., 

Patrick Stewart, the remoaners have trouble predicting the future, so they thought they'd get someone from the future, but star trek isn't real. :o but they'll still klingon that brexit can be stopped. :ph34r:

Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Government defeat in Lords over terms of meaningful vote:

An amendment to the EU Withdrawal Bill giving MPs the power to stop the UK from leaving without a deal or to make Theresa May return to negotiations was approved by 335 votes to 244.

Http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43951405

Good to see us taking back control, eh? 

A triumph for democracy I'm sure all will agree. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Setton said:

Http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43951405

Good to see us taking back control, eh? 

A triumph for democracy I'm sure all will agree. 

'Lords' treating us as  peasants most would deny us a vote if they could, it would be the end of democracy if their vote was binding we'd once again have take to the streets with pitchforks but it's not binding and democracy lives on for now.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hetrodoxly said:

'Lords' treating us as  peasants most would deny us a vote if they could, it would be the end of democracy if their vote was binding we'd once again have take to the streets with pitchforks but it's not binding and democracy lives on for now.

So democracy only lives if the people's elected representatives don't vote on the future of this country. 

You wanted sovereignty back. This is what it looks like. OUR representatives voting on OUR behalf. Not a minority government dictating the future to everyone else. 

Why are you so afraid of letting anyone other than hardline leavers have their say? Surely if brexit is such a good thing you should be able to persuade more than half the commons to vote for it..? 

• Like 1

Good tho see all the good news about british exports to non eu countries. Especially as it is all happening while we are still in the EU.

• Like 1