Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Opening gambits in EU / UK exit negotiations;

keithisco

2 hours ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

Holy moses, reductio ad hitlerum again? Now there's going to be a Nuremberg Trials, once peace has been brought to Europe by the Holy European Empire finally crushing dissent, for those who fanned the flames of Brexit? :bemused: 

Errr... not so fast. RabidMongoose brought up the WW2 and the nazi's. I just replied. 

31 minutes ago, bee said:

even IF ordinary people pay a price... (for a limited period).... maybe this will foster a kind
of 'Blitz Spirit' and people will help each other more... on the community level - ?? 

ordinary people basically cop the lot during times of war and yet that is considered a price worth
paying when freedom and sovereignty is at stake... 

edit to add... the economic adjustments that will be made isn't going to be as bad as actual
war, of course...  

Of course its an IF Bee. But I had friends that lost everything after the financial crash, businesses, homes, the lot. It takes a long long time to recover and I don't mean just materially. To me Brexit is at best a gamble,  @Dumbledore the Awesome  @stevewinncertainly  Mogg and the other leading Brexiteers expect hardships (a period of readjustment they call it) - I don't like to gamble when the downside could be so painful.

In times of war Bee its usually someone else taking things from you, this time we are doing it to ourselves.

As for the arguments for freedom and sovereignty they are the very same arguments used by nationalists in Scotland and N Ireland do you support those too?

@stevewinn why would Scotland have job losses for splitting from the UK? surely you'd want your English Government to offer the Scotland the very same FREE trade agreement you want the EU to offer the UK. They'd be taking back their sovereignty without jeopardizing their economic relationship with the UK. But I doubt you'd want to make them that offer.

Damn need to go wedding to attend. 

Edited by RAyMO

1 hour ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

You seem to believe that there's no risk of the EU being about to implode on itself. Bringing up Greece as an example of how nationalist movements are doomed to failure in the face of the all-powerful ruthless empire is hardly much of an advertisement for staying in the EU is it. Surely the reason that the nationalist movement in Greece failed was by caving in to the bullying of Brussels and squealing excitedly, "ooh, yes please, Brussels, we'll have all the lots and lots of lovely Euros you're offering, we're sure there won't be any strings attached". and where do you get this bizarrely quaint notion about democracy from? Look at any single one of the leaders of "democratic" countries. Which of those would you say was the "best people" out of all possible candidates to lead? :wacko:  

this same ole fanciful narrative. So the EU will implode because the UK will leave? Are you serious? 

Greece: Beautiful country and people but seriously regardless of where you stand, the country was living beyond its means. its injuries were self inflicted and the Germans and French don't owe Greece a brass razou. Together with the U.S. they bailed Greece out. They taught the Greeks to manage their finances and at some point they will give their debt another haircut. Sometimes i have to wonder whether Stevewinn and yourself have Greek heritage? You guys constantly bang on about how hard done by the Greeks are. 

If i was you id be more worried about the spectacle the UK is making of itself and the burning of bridges with the EU and the racist imagine its cultivating via brexit.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, RAyMO said:

@stevewinn why would Scotland have job losses for splitting from the UK? surely you'd want your English Government to offer the Scotland the very same FREE trade agreement you want the EU to offer the UK. They'd be taking back their sovereignty without jeopardizing their economic relationship with the UK. But I doubt you'd want to make them that offer.

Damn need to go wedding to attend. 

I think you and others are greatly underestimating how many people are happy to leave the EU without a deal.

• Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, bee said:

oh dear.... oh deary deary me...

you have inadvertently made an unforgivable racist faux pas - and will now have to be banned from all
public places and social media for the foreseeable future... and if you ever try to stand for political office
or apply for a job of any kind anywhere ... I'm afraid you have really gone and done it now... 

don't know what I'm on about...?.... well that goes to show how in need of the Compulsory Re-education
classes you are..... /sarcasm

^_^

...and a good evening to you, lovely lady. 

So what have i done exactly? 

6 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

Because you’ll be outta the single market and customs union. Products and services under May’s WA would suffer the least amount of disruption. Under a hard Brexit as proposed by the Brexit Party, UK and EU trade and services would be under major regulation disruption incurring duties and taxes.

The market will dictate the prices, the worlds a big place, the EU have already stated transport won't be affected for at least 12 months after we've left giving time to make other arrangements and it will be extended if needed because it's in everyone's interest.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, hetrodoxly said:

The market will dictate the prices, the worlds a big place, the EU have already stated transport won't be affected for at least 12 months after we've left giving time to make other arrangements and it will be extended if needed because it's in everyone's interest.

I hope your right. For the sake of the UK. 

Just now, Captain Risky said:

I hope your right. For the sake of the UK. 

Those of us with balls and brains have known this from the start :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Captain Risky said:

...and a good evening to you, lovely lady. 

So what have i done exactly? 

well I'll give you a clue...
imagine the hysteria if let's say...... Trump (or Farage) associated bananas with Asians...?

do you see what a terrible person you are now.... ;)

:innocent:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, hetrodoxly said:

Well... lets not go nuts, eh. What is brexit. At its core its about breaking treaties and connections and about rejecting free movement of goods, services and people. Not exactly in everyones interest. Now is it.  

Just now, bee said:

well I'll give you a clue...
imagine the hysteria if let's say...... Trump (or Farage) associated bananas with Asians...?

do you see what a terrible person you are now.... ;)

:innocent:

LOL... well can you think of a better flavour for Asians? 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

LOL... well can you think of a better flavour for Asians? 

curry 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

curry 

curry? All Brits love curry.

27 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

So the EU will implode because the UK will leave? Are you serious? 

No silly, but if you can't see that it's only being held together by France and Germany, and that people in many other countries are beginning to question it too, (and we all know how the establishment in France is being challenged). then I'm afraid you're blind to the inexorable processes of history. :( 

• Like 2

Just now, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

No silly, but if you can't see that it's only being held together by France and Germany, and that people in many other countries are beginning to question it too, (and we all know how the establishment in France is being challenged). then I'm afraid you're blind to the inexorable processes of history. :( 

No one is questioning anything. You Brit's have been feed this Britain is only a part time European country narrative for so long that you assume all europeans think the same. Well they don't. 

40 minutes ago, RAyMO said:

certainly  Mogg and the other leading Brexiteers expect hardships (a period of readjustment they call it) - I don't like to gamble when the downside could be so painful.

Dear me, with that kind of attitude no one would have ever done anything at all that challenged the status quo as it was. 

1 minute ago, Captain Risky said:

No one is questioning anything. You Brit's have been feed this Britain is only a part time European country narrative for so long that you assume all europeans think the same. Well they don't. 

how did you come to be such an expert on opinion in all the countries of Europe?

• Like 1

Just now, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

how did you come to be such an expert on opinion in all the countries of Europe?

Well read. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

Well... lets not go nuts, eh. What is brexit. At its core its about breaking treaties and connections and about rejecting free movement of goods, services and people. Not exactly in everyones interest. Now is it.  

The trouble is that at one time the EU was all about trade, and everybody would be happy if that was still the case, however as some of us can see, it is morphing into something quite different and dare I say more sinister. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

The trouble is that at one time the EU was all about trade, and everybody would be happy if that was still the case, however as some of us can see, it is morphing into something quite different and dare I say more sinister. 

C'mom. define "sinister?"

47 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

Yeah, but which is in charge of operations. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Tell me... as an irishman whats your vested interest, or alternatively what are you scared of?

Well, as an Irishman, I'll tell you - I have no vested interest and I am not scared. :)

1 hour ago, Ozymandias said:

Well, as an Irishman, I'll tell you - I have no vested interest and I am not scared. :)

So you just come on this thread regularly to insult people who want to leave the EU. Correct?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

Trade agreements are token lip service and nothing more. I can't speak for Canada or NZ but Australia is heavily supporting a republican movement that would win any referendum on the matter. hands down We are fast becoming a defacto American satellite and Asian economy. Unless Britain can re-invent itself and literally move 10,000 Km into the pacific ocean I'm afraid the real outcome of Brexit will be destruction of the union and economy and the aftermath of eventually falling back into the European political and economic orbit. 

Stop lying, support for the monarchy has grown since last time Australians voted on becoming a Republic

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jan/27/australian-support-for-monarchy-has-grown-as-debate-for-republic-revived

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

So you just come on this thread regularly to insult people who want to leave the EU. Correct?

incorrect.