Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Opening gambits in EU / UK exit negotiations;

keithisco

6 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

The trouble is that at one time the EU was all about trade, and everybody would be happy if that was still the case, however as some of us can see, it is morphing into something quite different and dare I say more sinister. 

I agree , although I did not vote to join the Common Market , it worked until the Europeans decided to go political , that's when it has started to get dangerous , there is even talk of a Euro Army , but both the French and Germans want to be in charge , so can you imagine us Brits putting up with that , LOL . so lets get out and keep our Army and politics and most importantly our Democracy , as it looks like Euro has a situation that is developing into a dictatorship controlled by Brussels , but who there is controlling the puppet strings , and if anyone says its the 27 countries I will call them a liar.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ozymandias said:

incorrect.

Can you please inform me/us why you are against Britain leaving the E.U. because the way I read your comments you really don't like the U.K. but of course that's your prerogative , we can't be liked by everyone . 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

Well read. 

:rolleyes: Where? Do you have sources that keep you in touch with grassroots opinion in Greece, Hungary, Italy, etc, or do you rely on  ABC and the BBC and the Guardian and all the usual pro-establishment "news" outlets? hardly 

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

:rolleyes: Where? Do you have sources that keep you in touch with grassroots opinion in Greece, Hungary, Italy, etc, or do you rely on  ABC and the BBC and the Guardian and all the usual pro-establishment "news" outlets? hardly 

...so am i wrong, or are you just upset that I'm right? Im finding it hard to know which. 

21 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

C'mom. define "sinister?"

what would you call being ruled by people that you never had any chance to choose and which treat subordinate parts of the Community (which used to be known as individual nations) with bullying and extortion if they try to go their own way, and try to adopt policies that might go contrary to the Great European Project (e.g. Greece, through financial extortion, and now Hungary by means of smearing its leaders as fascists if they don't go they whole hog in embracing the wishes of the Great European Project?) Not to mention making it as difficult as possible for any nation that might wish to leave to do so, in order to discourage any others from trying?

Edited by Dumbledore the Awesome
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

...so am i wrong, or are you just upset that I'm right? Im finding it hard to know which. 

I'm finding it hard to understand what you mean.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

what would you call being ruled by people that you never had any chance to choose and which treat subordinate parts of the Community (which used to be known as individual nations) with bullying and extortion if they try to go their own way, and try to adopt policies that might go contrary to the Great European Project (e.g. Greece, through financial extortion, and now Hungary by means of smearing its leaders as fascists if they don't go they whole hog in embracing the wishes of the Great European Project?) Not to mention making it as difficult as possible for any nation that might wish to leave to do so, in order to discourage any others from trying?

...go no further. The UK is leaving, no one is stopping it. The fact that you can't agree on leaving is no one fault but the politicians of the UK. You're an intelligent dude that i thought was immune from all the flag waving but it seems not. Why don't you tell me how better off UK democracy is gonna be under Brexit? What magnificent heights will it reach outside of Europe? Why don't you tell me why a successful trade bloc needs to re-write its trade rules for a former member? 

You like the success of the EU trading bloc and are loath to leave them but refuse to accept that the UK is one of equals in all other political and social members matters. The EU won't give you the best of both worlds and thats your gripe.   

23 hours ago, RAyMO said:

@stevewinn why would Scotland have job losses for splitting from the UK? surely you'd want your English Government to offer the Scotland the very same FREE trade agreement you want the EU to offer the UK. They'd be taking back their sovereignty without jeopardizing their economic relationship with the UK. But I doubt you'd want to make them that offer.

Damn need to go wedding to attend. 

I only raise the point that if its far to complicated for the UK to leave the EU a Union of 26 years. then following your train of thought then it would be an impossible task for Scotland to leave a UK Union of 312 years. or is it a case of Scotland could make it were the UK couldn't.

Hope you caught the posy.

• Like 1

23:00 we should find out the result of the EU elections.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

No one is questioning anything. You Brit's have been feed this Britain is only a part time European country narrative for so long that you assume all europeans think the same. Well they don't. 

You keep making these random statements as if you know something we don't, you have 'Brexit  tourette's' 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, hetrodoxly said:

You keep making these random statements as if you know something we don't, you have 'Brexit  tourette's' 

of course he does he reads the guardian.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

you have 'Brexit  tourette's' 

That is funny as hell.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2019 at 9:26 AM, RAyMO said:

Of course its an IF Bee. But I had friends that lost everything after the financial crash, businesses, homes, the lot. It takes a long long time to recover and I don't mean just materially. To me Brexit is at best a gamble,

Morning - hope the wedding went well.... :) 

Just wanted to say that that must have been horrible and devastating for your friends - 
but aren't all business ventures a gamble...?... (ones that aren't artificially propped up anyway)

it's not my forte and I have no experience or skills in that area (creating and running a business)
but I think the people who do are pioneering, courageous and hard working..

Adjustments will have to be made when we leave the EU ...
but I feel sure there are clever, brave and hard working people that would
be raring to go to create new businesses and business opportunities outside the EU Single Market....
and also trade with EU countries within a different framework.. 

21 hours ago, spud the mackem said:

Can you please inform me/us why you are against Britain leaving the E.U.

Lots of reasons, none of which you are genuinely interested in hearing. They are the same reasons that any 'Remainers' give and have been repeated time and again ad nauseum in the last three years.

21 hours ago, spud the mackem said:

because the way I read your comments you really don't like the U.K. but of course that's your prerogative , we can't be liked by everyone . 

What a silly statement. Please demonstrate from what I have said that I hate the UK.

No, what I 'hate' is Brexit and the damage it will cause to a great country like the UK, to the enterprise that is the EU and to my own country, the Republic of Ireland. Once it joined, the UK was at the forefront of the development of the EU. Brexit is an aggressive assault on all that is good about the UK and the EU by a well-connected elite with vested interests who have harnessed and manipulated nationalist sentiment among a lot of disaffected people in the UK into voting to leave. It is those voters who will carry the burden of the adverse effects of Brexit on the British people. The likes of the Farages and the Rees-Moggs will do - in fact, are doing - very well out of Brexit. 

6 hours ago, stevewinn said:

23:00 we should find out the result of the EU elections.

With it being the bank holiday tomorrow I will watch it until the early hours of the morning, and I have my bets on.

7 to 1 odds of the Brexit Party taking 40% or higher - I have £20 on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RabidMongoose said:

With it being the bank holiday tomorrow I will watch it until the early hours of the morning, and I have my bets on.

7 to 1 odds of the Brexit Party taking 40% or higher - I have £20 on.

BBC one at 10pm coverage starts.

The low turnout might be a factor. 36% turnout. (estimated/not confirmed) which reduces the likelihood. 30% to 35% would be my guess. but i hope your right. and come the end of the night your in the money.

Edited by stevewinn

1 hour ago, Ozymandias said:

Lots of reasons, none of which you are genuinely interested in hearing. They are the same reasons that any 'Remainers' give and have been repeated time and again ad nauseum in the last three years.

What a silly statement. Please demonstrate from what I have said that I hate the UK.

No, what I 'hate' is Brexit and the damage it will cause to a great country like the UK, to the enterprise that is the EU and to my own country, the Republic of Ireland. Once it joined, the UK was at the forefront of the development of the EU. Brexit is an aggressive assault on all that is good about the UK and the EU by a well-connected elite with vested interests who have harnessed and manipulated nationalist sentiment among a lot of disaffected people in the UK into voting to leave. It is those voters who will carry the burden of the adverse effects of Brexit on the British people. The likes of the Farages and the Rees-Moggs will do - in fact, are doing - very well out of Brexit. 

Load of absolute rubbish once again.

Brexit is bigger than individuals. 17.4million people voted to leave. doesn't matter who the figurehead was, the 17.4million were still voting to leave.

Im no fan of Tony Blair but if he was the figurehead of Leave i'd have still been voting Leave.

you talk about manipulation look no further than the Remain campaign. my god you even had a US President intervene, and globalist capitalist groups. including the full weight of the state. - and what did Leave have, Nigel Farage. your asking us to believe one man was able to manipulate millions and millions of people and succeed where the Remainers failed.  

Lets not conveniently forget David Cameron's attempt at EU reform. which he presented to the people in the in / out referendum. remainers compounded this with their equal rejectable reasoning for remaining.

What are the Remainers offering.

1. Continuation of ever closer union.
  2. Further erosion of sovereignty.
  3. Transferring power from Westminster to the EU.
  4. Supremacy of EU courts of British courts.
  5. over 50% of UK Laws made by the EU.
  6. uncontrolled mass immigration.
  7. continuation of handing over £billions of pounds in membership, aid and fines.
  8. continuation of handing Fishing grounds over to the EU as a community resource.
  9. continuation of handing over Industrial, energy and agricultural policy to the EU.
  10. Formation of EU army.
  11. Servitude to a Centralist EU Commission in return for membership of a Customs Union which gives us a £100Bn Trade deficit and prevents us from conducting our own trade deals.
  12. Offering the Nation on a plate to a political foreign body. telling the people of our Great nation we cant do anything for ourselves, - and all what previous generations of British people had achieved through blood sweat and toil wasn't worth a damn.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. What Remain offered during the Referendum never represented what the majority in this country wanted or accepted and was roundly rejected. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

there's a problem with the above. I'm all for that. The above is why I voted remain.

Live ... for anyone who wants a bit of a build up to the results... interesting to see how the other
countries are getting on.... lots of Brits in the chat..

• Thanks 1

Just now, ethereal_scout said:

there's a problem with the above. I'm all for that. The above is why I voted remain.

and when asked the majority are not.

• Like 1

France. Le Pen a head in the exit poll. oh dear.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

on that Live Link I just posted... Le Pen's National Rally Party doing better than Macron's Centre Left Party...
just projections and exit polls at the mo...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, stevewinn said:
France. Le Pen a head in the exit poll. oh dear.

snap :)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bee said:

snap :)

projections show the EU lurching to the right, anti EU parties gaining ground.

Just now, stevewinn said:

projections show the EU lurching to the right, anti EU parties gaining ground.

including Belgium... headquarters of the EU..... oh dear :) 

• Haha 1