Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
keithisco

Opening gambits in EU / UK exit negotiations;

8,018 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

RAyMO

where do you source you information @RabidMongoose  - you should really ask for a refund.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RabidMongoose
1 hour ago, RAyMO said:

where do you source you information @RabidMongoose  - you should really ask for a refund.

Its only the early evening and you have already put your delusional hat on!

Here on planet earth we are much more grounded in reality lmao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RAyMO
2 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

Its only the early evening and you have already put your delusional hat on!

Here on planet earth we are much more grounded in reality lmao

yes probably was delusional thinking you had a source.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stevewinn

35 days till Brexit.

Reality hitting home. as the Guardians headline reads today "Ireland steps up effort to shelter economy from no-deal Brexit" amid growing alarm that parts of the Irish economy could face severe disruption and even collapse.

Worried about???? Dublin will begin amid increasingly fraught warnings of a hammer blow to agriculture, food processing, transport and other industries. They fear Brazil could wipe out Irish beef exports to the UK altogether.

Oh dear, How Sad, Never Mind.

when Brexit happens, I wont be buying Irish no more. well played Leo.

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Captain Risky

Brexit: UK will apply food tariffs in case of no deal

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-47291378

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RabidMongoose
1 hour ago, stevewinn said:

35 days till Brexit.

Reality hitting home. as the Guardians headline reads today "Ireland steps up effort to shelter economy from no-deal Brexit" amid growing alarm that parts of the Irish economy could face severe disruption and even collapse.

Worried about???? Dublin will begin amid increasingly fraught warnings of a hammer blow to agriculture, food processing, transport and other industries. They fear Brazil could wipe out Irish beef exports to the UK altogether.

Oh dear, How Sad, Never Mind.

when Brexit happens, I wont be buying Irish no more. well played Leo.

 

I will be celebrating Brexit Day with some nice tasty New Zealand lamb

Yum Yum

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
keithisco
22 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

Brexit: UK will apply food tariffs in case of no deal

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-47291378

And?...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stevewinn
38 minutes ago, keithisco said:

And?...

exactly, whatever we do going forward will be in our interest, we can choose to increase decrease or scrap any tariffs. the opportunities and options are ours to take.

Its going to take the remoaners awhile to catch on.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spud the mackem

Why are 100 M.P.'s backing out of a no deal ,the E.U. haven't yet said it but they are increasingly more nervous if a no deal is going to happen because their exports to us are going to crash, and the fishing rights in British waters will cease , creating havoc in the North Sea fishing limits , we don't need their exports as we can get our needs from countries outside the E.U. from cars to dairy produce and meat .No worries ,less than a month to go .yippee...I guess the E.U. are about to have a case of severe diarrhoea.LOL

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
itsnotoutthere
25 minutes ago, spud the mackem said:

Why are 100 M.P.'s backing out of a no deal ,the E.U. haven't yet said it but they are increasingly more nervous if a no deal is going to happen because their exports to us are going to crash, and the fishing rights in British waters will cease , creating havoc in the North Sea fishing limits , we don't need their exports as we can get our needs from countries outside the E.U. from cars to dairy produce and meat .No worries ,less than a month to go .yippee...I guess the E.U. are about to have a case of severe diarrhoea.LOL

Because they haven't got a spine between them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stevewinn
1 hour ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Because they haven't got a spine between them.

And also they like to lead us by the nose.

Brexit as exposed and confirmed in all its glory what we've always suspected that they dont give a damn about what the people want. See its one thing breaking the manifesto pledges something they've all gotten away with over the years. But Brexit is something else.

Hide no longer can they, thats why we have breakaway MPs from labour and tories they know the game is up their days in parliament are numbered. None of them were surviving the next general election. Many of them were facing deselection anyway.

Ive said all along 2 yrs after brexit 550 MPs will have gone/Changed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RabidMongoose
55 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

And also they like to lead us by the nose.

Brexit as exposed and confirmed in all its glory what we've always suspected that they dont give a damn about what the people want. See its one thing breaking the manifesto pledges something they've all gotten away with over the years. But Brexit is something else.

Hide no longer can they, thats why we have breakaway MPs from labour and tories they know the game is up their days in parliament are numbered. None of them were surviving the next general election. Many of them were facing deselection anyway.

Ive said all along 2 yrs after brexit 550 MPs will have gone/Changed.

With Labour I dont like that party.

But lets not forget their MPs are preventing Corbyn (who is pro-leave) from opening adopting a leave policy. That lot of politicians need cleaning out. We have remain MPs elected from leave areas trying to subvert Democracy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Captain Risky
10 hours ago, keithisco said:

And?...

well contrary to you buddy's hallucinations there will not be any cheap beef from Brazil. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Captain Risky
9 hours ago, stevewinn said:

exactly, whatever we do going forward will be in our interest, we can choose to increase decrease or scrap any tariffs. the opportunities and options are ours to take.

Its going to take the remoaners awhile to catch on.

no steve that's not what Gove is postulating. what he's saying is that Brexit and in particular Hard Brexit will decimate UK agriculture and the UK will have to wean itself of this free trade fallacy that has powered brexit. free trade is just not something that the UK can do. it just has too many weak and exposed industries and high income workers to be able to do. 

just face the reality of Brexit... it was all about flag waving and immigration. and its going to cost the UK dearly! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Captain Risky
4 hours ago, stevewinn said:

And also they like to lead us by the nose.

Brexit as exposed and confirmed in all its glory what we've always suspected that they dont give a damn about what the people want. See its one thing breaking the manifesto pledges something they've all gotten away with over the years. But Brexit is something else.

Hide no longer can they, thats why we have breakaway MPs from labour and tories they know the game is up their days in parliament are numbered. None of them were surviving the next general election. Many of them were facing deselection anyway.

Ive said all along 2 yrs after brexit 550 MPs will have gone/Changed.

if the Brexit referendum has shown the UK and the world anything its that the rabble by and large are morons. voting shouldn't be a right but a privilege. in fact having babies should be by invitation only. people just don't know whats good for them. but you're not alone in this crazy world. The Greeks moronically voted to make them selves rich and free of debt during the euro zone crises. the Americans with Trump and his MAGA campaign,  the Turks when they decided to democratically elect a dictator and the list goes on and on... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stevewinn
33 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

no steve that's not what Gove is postulating. what he's saying is that Brexit and in particular Hard Brexit will decimate UK agriculture and the UK will have to wean itself of this free trade fallacy that has powered brexit. free trade is just not something that the UK can do. it just has too many weak and exposed industries and high income workers to be able to do. 

just face the reality of Brexit... it was all about flag waving and immigration. and its going to cost the UK dearly! 

No doubt certain sectors will have to adjust over time. One effective measure we can take is apply tariffs but equally why should the uk apply a tariff rate for citrus and tropical fruits which we cant grow here.

The uk can apply tariffs in sectors we need to and reduce or eliminate in others.

Continued........

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Captain Risky
1 minute ago, stevewinn said:

No doubt certain sectors will have to adjust over time. One effective measure we can take is apply tariffs but equally why should the uk apply a tariff rate for citrus and tropical fruits which we cant grow here.

The uk can apply tariffs in sectors we need to and reduce or eliminate in others.

Continued........

Tariffs? like what the EU does?

the entire concept of a trade deal is that both parties walk away with something more than what they started with. example. when you sign a free trade deal with Australia the UK has to develop and keep its best industries at the top. defence and banking is what you'll be looking to Australia to open its doors to and Australia will be looking at agriculture, gas and coal to enter the UK. the UK cannot expect something and not give anything up. you can add Brazil, USA, Mexico and Canada to that list. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spud the mackem
4 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

With Labour I dont like that party.

But lets not forget their MPs are preventing Corbyn (who is pro-leave) from opening adopting a leave policy. That lot of politicians need cleaning out. We have remain MPs elected from leave areas trying to subvert Democracy.

Corbyn may have said 3 years ago that he was pro-leave, but now he is still clamouring for a 2nd referendum ,why do you think that is . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spud the mackem
44 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

No doubt certain sectors will have to adjust over time. One effective measure we can take is apply tariffs but equally why should the uk apply a tariff rate for citrus and tropical fruits which we cant grow here.

The uk can apply tariffs in sectors we need to and reduce or eliminate in others.

Continued........

 

 

We have been importing Tomato's,  Oranges, Pineapple, Potato's and other farm produce from South Africa for a long time now , and Beef products from Brazil ,Uruguay,  for the past 50 years that I know of , that's fact. because I was on ships that carried this cargo , so why do we need the E.U. at all . 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stevewinn
1 hour ago, Captain Risky said:

Tariffs? like what the EU does?

the entire concept of a trade deal is that both parties walk away with something more than what they started with. example. when you sign a free trade deal with Australia the UK has to develop and keep its best industries at the top. defence and banking is what you'll be looking to Australia to open its doors to and Australia will be looking at agriculture, gas and coal to enter the UK. the UK cannot expect something and not give anything up. you can add Brazil, USA, Mexico and Canada to that list. 

Continued...... 

This is how the world works. The UK can set its own tariff rates. They could be higher lower or the same rate as the current EU the beauty of it is, its our choice. Not someone in Brussels but here in the UK. And any monies raised on it. 100% of it will go to the UK Treasury. And not what happens now 80% for the EU 20% for the UK. 

The EU should in no way benefit from the UK's purchasing power. Like the real life example I give on here a few months back. Ordered from the USA. Items arrived I paid just over £100 import duties of which the EU got £80 UK Treasury got £20. No matter which way you spin it its just wrong. And with brexit all this is going to stop. 

 

38 minutes ago, spud the mackem said:

We have been importing Tomato's,  Oranges, Pineapple, Potato's and other farm produce from South Africa for a long time now , and Beef products from Brazil ,Uruguay,  for the past 50 years that I know of , that's fact. because I was on ships that carried this cargo , so why do we need the E.U. at all . 

Exactly. I was eating runner beans with my Sunday dinner from Egypt. Leg of lamb from New Zealand. We went around my mums later on had bananas and custard, bananas from Costa Rica. My dad prunes from Israel. 

It's crazy, but what we can get from the EU we can either grow ourselves temperate foods or we can buy from the world. I'm sure South Africa, hell even the USA would like to sell us more fruit and veg, oranges from Florida, wheat from kansas etc... 

These cult followers of the EU believe only the EU can provide, believe free trade should only exist behind the protectionist walls of the EU. Believe world prices can't be lower than the EU's.

Look at rice it's gone up £47p in the shops (500gram) all because the EU wants to protect the small rice growers in Italy. Why should the UK who grows no rice pay extra to protect a small industry in Italy. 

Its clear whatever fruit and veg the EU provides we can get elsewhere fact. 

If we can grow it at home and the industry or sector needs protecting we can apply tariffs if we can't grow it at home the EU will have to compete on the global market for our custom. 

It doesn't matter to me if my freshly squeezed orange was from Greece or South Africa, I'm not bothered if my Lemon is from Sicily or Israel. 

All can be sourced from around the world. And i can't wait. Its going to be an education for some. 

 

 

Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Captain Risky
1 hour ago, stevewinn said:

Continued...... 

This is how the world works. The UK can set its own tariff rates. They could be higher lower or the same rate as the current EU the beauty of it is, its our choice. Not someone in Brussels but here in the UK. And any monies raised on it. 100% of it will go to the UK Treasury. And not what happens now 80% for the EU 20% for the UK. 

 

well can the UK really force someone to the negotiating table with the tariff rates it would like? the EU can get good rates because they have some serious buying and consumer power. they only sign trade deals that are to their advantage. if you can ride off the back of these deals (which you have much maligned during this brexit discussion, mind you), then you really don't miss out. BUT if lets say Australia or New Zealand say open your agricultural markets to our cheaper products instead of the EU then why would the EU allow the UK a trade deal if the UK has not only decimated its farm sector but closed it to the EU for good? why should the EU then accept Australia and New Zealand as competitors and still allow them a quota? now the EU market is bigger than the UK one. so if push came to shove then who is gonna win?

as for tariffs... I'm assuming those tariffs you're talking about are those you wish to see levied on EU products. well the EU will also apply tariffs and the cost of protecting your inefficient industries alone will add extra costs to your consumers and exporters and since the UK will be the junior partner in any trade deal i.e. the one that will pay more to access EU markets. currently the UK and the EU have no tariffs and the tariffs the EU has with the outside world won't necessarily translate into the UK treasury. as the UK will not be able to strike a stronger enough trade deal. in fact the reverse is true. if the U.S. signs a deal with the UK it will more than likely allow U.S. tech industries (that pay no UK tax) to export products like the one you received and the EU collected tariff on, tariff free. so the net gain to the UK treasury will be zero. so will you get a cheaper product? yes but at the cost of UK jobs and taxes. 

1 hour ago, stevewinn said:

 

Look at rice it's gone up £47p in the shops (500gram) all because the EU wants to protect the small rice growers in Italy. Why should the UK who grows no rice pay extra to protect a small industry in Italy. 

Its clear whatever fruit and veg the EU provides we can get elsewhere fact. 

If we can grow it at home and the industry or sector needs protecting we can apply tariffs if we can't grow it at home the EU will have to compete on the global market for our custom. 

It doesn't matter to me if my freshly squeezed orange was from Greece or South Africa, I'm not bothered if my Lemon is from Sicily or Israel. 

All can be sourced from around the world. And i can't wait. Its going to be an education for some. 

 

well i bet Italians are probably looking at the price of beef and wondering the same about protecting UK farmers. but like always you're only quantifying imports but refuse to talk of the exports. it seems brexit to you is only about imports. why don't you mention exports? why don't you talk about exports to the EU? why don't you talk about health and safety standards? quality control and so forth. workers rights and consumer protection? steve your arguments are simplistic and not inclusive of overall trade. cherry picking. 

Edited by Captain Risky
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bee

 

I like the interviews with Alexander Mercouris on the Duran YT channel...

this is one discussing the split in the Labour Party and how it's all about Brexit
and how the MPs who have taken themselves out of the Labour Party are doomed
to failure and have made Brexit even more likely than it was and have strengthened Corbyn..

the largely unknown's who made a great fanfare of leaving courtesy of the anti Brexit Media
are Blairites and I expect Blair charmed them into doing it.... he (Blair) thinks he is the master
of persuasion and it must be tough for him and his ego to learn that he isn't the powerful
political figure that he was..... and never will be again (now he can't be President of the EU,
a job he surely had on his 'to do' list..... )

An amusing point Mercouris brought up near the end of the interview, was that it is noted that
they are all strong supporters of a 2nd referendum - but they won't take part in a 2nd vote on themselves
and call by~ elections to put their new position to the voters and to the test... 


Labour MP split is a cheap and final ploy to derail BREXIT

Feb 20 2019
 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bee
6 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

why don't you talk about health and safety standards? quality control and so forth. workers rights and consumer protection? steve your arguments are simplistic and not inclusive of overall trade. cherry picking. 

 

you talk as if we in Britain are all knuckle dragging simpletons who need the civilizing influence
of the EU...... ^_^

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Captain Risky
9 minutes ago, bee said:

you talk as if we in Britain are all knuckle dragging simpletons who need the civilizing influence
of the EU...... ^_^

no i don't. you're just dramatising.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bee
9 hours ago, spud the mackem said:

Corbyn may have said 3 years ago that he was pro-leave, but now he is still clamouring for a 2nd referendum ,why do you think that is . 

 

He isn't 'clamouring' for a 2nd referendum... Remainers in his Party are pushing for him to call for it
but as of yet he hasn't -

he's walking a tightrope on the issue because he knows that Labour will probably lose millions of Working Class
voters if he betrays the Referendum Result... 

we are lucky really that Corbyn is at heart a Leave Supporter... because that is curtailing the Remainers in
his Party who would like to go the Full Monty... 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.