Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Opening gambits in EU / UK exit negotiations;

keithisco

• Like 2

@stevewinn

Careful Steve, it looks like enough of the ERG are folding to give May's deal including backstop a real chance of success. You wouldn't want to stop that at this stage would you?

1 hour ago, RAyMO said:

@stevewinn

Careful Steve, it looks like enough of the ERG are folding to give May's deal including backstop a real chance of success. You wouldn't want to stop that at this stage would you?

WA is worse than remaining and needs voting down for a third time. the ERG have said they'd only agree to the WA if the DUP agreed. The DUP is against the WA. as Mrs Mays Agreement locks us back into the EU for 21 to 45 months and may end up forcing us to stay in the customs union with alignment of laws, as well as threatening the integrity of the United Kingdom. As such ERG chairman Jacob Rees Mogg has said he could never vote for the Agreement all the time the DUP said it was bad for Northern Ireland, which they are still saying when I last heard them on the media 3hrs ago.

3 days till Brexit.

Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 2

excellent, read. been in my bookmarks for well over a decade.

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/acft/FCO+30+1048.pdf

All warnings from History.

and because there warnings from History, we can determine if they were indeed correct. i leave it for people to judge.

• Like 2

FFS why dont we just do the free trade agreement without a customs deal?

Once outside the EU it cannot dictate to us, it cannot force us to erect an Irish border. If one is erected it will be their choice and then Ireland (not the UK) will be in violation of the Good Friday Agreement.

In which case we should annex Northern Ireland properly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stevewinn said:

As such ERG chairman Jacob Rees Mogg has said he could never vote for the Agreement

He's also on the record today saying the WA is better than no Brexit so which is it? 

DUP on the  record today, saying they would accept a year's delay. RM on the record as saying he is moving towards Mays deal. Other ERG also have come out today to claim if given a third chance they would vote for it. 

Assuming the DUP don't split it will be very tight third vote.

@stevewinn I would prefer not to have Brexit, and would prefer many options other than Mays deal. Ironically because of the backstop, the majority of people in NI would accept the WA.

I think Rees Mogg will be swayed, he will argue that it avoids  no Brexit, and well the people of NI are happy with it so lets go with it..

Edited by RAyMO

2 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

Once outside the EU it cannot dictate to us, it cannot force us to erect an Irish border.

The point is that without the agreement both the EU and the UK would be leaving themselves open to challenge under WTO by a third country claiming that the lack of a border constitutes an unfair trading relationship. Hard border doesn't merely imply physical structure, in fact physical structures can be non existent and there could still be what is technically termed a hard border. 

19 minutes ago, RAyMO said:

The point is that without the agreement both the EU and the UK would be leaving themselves open to challenge under WTO by a third country claiming that the lack of a border constitutes an unfair trading relationship. Hard border doesn't merely imply physical structure, in fact physical structures can be non existent and there could still be what is technically termed a hard border. 

Will the ira set off imaginary bombs.

On the 29 march 2019 at 11pm i'm honouring the democratic vote and leaving the EU, Fu(k the cowardly traitors in westminster.

Edited by hetrodoxly
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Any news on the British passport fiasco?  Many people here in Northern Ireland have Irish passports and cross the border regularly for work.  Will they be forced to change and will this affect their employee status at work when crossing the border i.e. recognised as a foreigner and not protected by EU laws and permits?  There have also been record numbers of citizens applying for Irish passports here because they fear that it will not be possible in the future to apply for one locally in NI after Brexit, and I know a number of colleagues at work who are renouncing their British passports and switching to Irish instead because they want to continue to receive all the perks and benefits that come with travelling abroad as an EU citizen so that they have peace of mind when on holiday, living, working, or retiring abroad.

Should I keep my British passport or apply for an Irish one?  I wish we had an immunity.  Problems like this will only create greater division in Ulster.

Edited by Aaron2016

2 minutes ago, Aaron2016 said:

Should I keep my British passport or apply for an Irish one?

Get an 'Irish one', and we won't let you back in.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

Get an 'Irish one', and we won't let you back in.

Around 600 thousand citizens here in Northern Ireland already have Irish passports.  Will they all be issued British ones, and owing to the unfortunate distrust and dislike that a number over people in NI have against the British, they probably will refuse a British passport even if they are issued to them for free.  Or at least one assumes they would.

The number of applications appears to be rising very quickly.

news.png

There are more than half a million residents in NI with Irish passports.  I think we can guess they voted for Remain to win, and the sharp increase will mean a sharp rise in Remainers voting in the second referendum (assuming the next government calls for one).  Could Brexit be killed off by the increasing Irish vote?

The struggle between the DUP and Theresa May to keep the Union together reminds me of this picture from 1912 during the home rule crisis.

NI1912.png

Edited by Aaron2016

Is this Gov't now reneging on the Democratic vote to Leave the E.U. on March 29th , if so they are breaking their own law , so Democracy his gone down the pan . When the guerilla war starts by the Brexit people ,  They will do  whatever it takes to bring back Democracy to the U.K. they really don't know what they are starting . Can they imagine even half of the 17.4 leavers putting up with this . 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, spud the mackem said:

Is this Gov't now reneging on the Democratic vote to Leave the E.U. on March 29th , if so they are breaking their own law , so Democracy his gone down the pan . When the guerilla war starts by the Brexit people ,  They will do  whatever it takes to bring back Democracy to the U.K. they really don't know what they are starting . Can they imagine even half of the 17.4 leavers putting up with this . 

We're told don't use violence (we all say it) use democracy, deal with it at the ballot box, well we've done that spent years doing it, where do we go from here?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

We're told don't use violence (we all say it) use democracy, deal with it at the ballot box, well we've done that spent years doing it, where do we go from here?

Dabbing porridge on Remainer  M.P's car windscreens is not using violence LOL . 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, spud the mackem said:

Dabbing porridge on Remainer  M.P's car windscreens is not using violence LOL . 

Is that a thing.

On ‎25‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 11:41 PM, Ozymandias said:

Brilliant observation! They all speak English too. And French. And Tusk has Polish.

What language, other than English, do you speak? Obviously not German to judge by 'unter Frau Merkel'. I fail to see what you mean by 'under Frau Merkel'!

Does tha knaa Mackem bonny lad , hadaway doon the lonnen an cowp ya creels ah divvent have ta tell yee warra knaa .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aaron2016 said:

IAny news on the British passport fiasco?  Many people here in Northern Ireland have Irish passports and cross the border regularly for work.  Will they be forced to change and will this affect their employee status at work when crossing the border i.e. recognised as a foreigner and not protected by EU laws and permits?  There have also been record numbers of citizens applying for Irish passports here because they fear that it will not be possible in the future to apply for one locally in NI after Brexit, and I know a number of colleagues at work who are renouncing their British passports and switching to Irish instead because they want to continue to receive all the perks and benefits that come with travelling abroad as an EU citizen so that they have peace of mind when on holiday, living, working, or retiring abroad.

Should I keep my British passport or apply for an Irish one?  I wish we had an immunity.  Problems like this will only create greater division in Ulster.

You do not have to renounce anything. You are entitled to dual Citizenship. As part of the good Friday agreement you can be British Irish or both. That's why so many people are getting them.

Edited by RAyMO

42 minutes ago, spud the mackem said:

They are not breaking the law, they are changing it. 

40 minutes ago, RAyMO said:

They are not breaking the law, they are changing it. 

If no legislation is passed to overturn the 29th then under british law we leave.

But seeing how eu law supersedes uk law. And the EU have Brexit as the 12th April.

And our sovereign parliament is unable to leave even if they wanted to.

Is there no better example than this as to why we must leave the EU.

I feel parliament will pass legislation as not to draw attention to itself and the unhealthiest of situations. Which might have to many people asking questions.

It would be interesting to see if no legislation isn't passed and at the stroke of 23:00:00 Friday 29th. The European communities act is automatically repealed and therefore no eu rules apply regardless.

Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 1

There is another solution.

We owned Ireland for about 800 years. Sorry Irish people, time to put down your rebellion and bring you back into the UK lmao.

9 hours ago, spud the mackem said:

When the guerilla war starts by the Brexit people , 

Hahahahhahha yeah, sure, look forward to seeing you and Steve out there on Saturday. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

There is another solution.

We owned Ireland for about 800 years. Sorry Irish people, time to put down your rebellion and bring you back into the UK lmao.

As an Irishman living contentedly and happily in a sovereign independent Ireland it is I who feel sorry for you. :)

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

As an Irishman living contentedly and happily in a sovereign independent Ireland

Have you had permission off the EU to say that.

• Haha 2