Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
keithisco

Opening gambits in EU / UK exit negotiations;

8,055 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

RoofGardener
6 minutes ago, danydandan said:

I'm all for a federal superstate of Europe.

You're happy for Irish culture to be subsumed ? 

3 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

A confederation forces MEPs to listen to and represent their people.

Or else their country leaves.

... unless the majority doesn't ALLOW them to leave, of course :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
danydandan
1 minute ago, RabidMongoose said:

A confederation forces MEPs to listen to and represent their people.

Or else their country leaves.

Something similar to the US. I think that would work. 

3 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

We arent talking 10,000 across the whole of the UK though. We have more than that in my town alone.

The numbers are irrelevant, and yes I understand that some are only there to pick up a social welfare check each week and fly back home, it happens here too and highlights another issue with the EU. The Ryanair flights are cheap so it's easy to do. But the vast majority of people are there, and here, to work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
danydandan
2 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

You're happy for Irish culture to be subsumed ? 

Absolutely not. 

I believe something like the US would work. There are a number of different cultures within the US. It would also help stop wars in Europe, that's one of the only good things the EU has done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Saru

Thread cleaned

Keep it civil please - there are way too many derogatory personal remarks being thrown around in this discussion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RabidMongoose
48 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Something similar to the US. I think that would work. 

The numbers are irrelevant, and yes I understand that some are only there to pick up a social welfare check each week and fly back home, it happens here too and highlights another issue with the EU. The Ryanair flights are cheap so it's easy to do. But the vast majority of people are there, and here, to work.

I`m not so bothered if they claim benefits because when they work their income tax goes to our tax man.

Its more the numbers. I have been to Dublin, you guys dont have the same immigration problem as us. If you spent the weekend in London you would understand why we are more frosty towards immigration. Yes, they are nice people but there are far too many.

Edited by RabidMongoose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
danydandan
9 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

I`m not so bothered if they claim benefits because when they work their income tax goes to our tax man.

Its more the numbers. I have been to Dublin, you guys dont have the same immigration problem as us. If you spent the weekend in London you would understand why we are more frosty towards immigration. Yes, they are nice people but there are far too many.

If you walked around Temple Bar, Grafton Street and O'Connell Street often times you'd be hard pressed to hear English being spoken. But that doesn't matter, cultural diversity is a good thing. 

Edited by danydandan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spud the mackem
21 hours ago, danydandan said:

Nothing.

After brexit who knows. I'm hoping for a United Ireland.

That would be good but its never going to happen as the N.I. people believe that they are British , and religion is a big factor unfortunately , as The Falls Road Belfast proved it .Plus you have the Orange clan ,who are extremely jealous of guarding their rights .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RabidMongoose
4 minutes ago, danydandan said:

If you walked around Temple Bar, Grafton Street and O'Connell Street often times you'd be hard pressed to hear English being spoken. But that doesn't matter, cultural diversity is a good thing. 

In moderation lol.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spud the mackem
3 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

In moderation lol.

I don't mind foreign people coming here as long as they are prepared to work ,and not sponge off the state for benefits , because having been around the world (twice) poor foreigners think that the streets of London are literally paved with gold. I've asked people , if you didn't live here where would you rather live , and the 100% answer is London. That's why we have approximately 3 1/2 million foreigners living in London.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RabidMongoose
1 minute ago, spud the mackem said:

I don't mind foreign people coming here as long as they are prepared to work ,and not sponge off the state for benefits , because having been around the world (twice) poor foreigners think that the streets of London are literally paved with gold. I've asked people , if you didn't live here where would you rather live , and the 100% answer is London. That's why we have approximately 3 1/2 million foreigners living in London.

Nah, the reason is weak politicians let that number in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
danydandan
14 minutes ago, spud the mackem said:

That would be good but its never going to happen as the N.I. people believe that they are British , and religion is a big factor unfortunately , as The Falls Road Belfast proved it .Plus you have the Orange clan ,who are extremely jealous of guarding their rights .

Eh no..

Some believe they are British, not all do. I'd say vast majority believe they are Irish. Some also believe they are neither Irish nor British but Northern Irish. 

But if a referendum was held up North the result would be for a United Ireland. I'm not convinced our government wants that though, as they could easily have been pushing for said referendum as soon as Brexit was announced.

Edited by danydandan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RabidMongoose
9 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Eh no..

Some believe they are British, not all do. I'd say vast majority believe they are Irish. Some also believe they are neither Irish nor British but Northern Irish. 

But if a referendum was held up North the result would be for a United Ireland. I'm not convinced our government wants that though, as they could easily have been pushing for said referendum as soon as Brexit was announced.

It would become another Crimea if they left and then people started trying to have a pop at the Protestants and mixed Irish/British population there. Its why we went in to begin with. Yes, history might not have been fair to Ireland but it is what it is and we cant let people die as a result.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
danydandan
17 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

It would become another Crimea if they left and then people started trying to have a pop at the Protestants and mixed Irish/British population there. Its why we went in to begin with. Yes, history might not have been fair to Ireland but it is what it is and we cant let people die as a result.

Certainly is a dicey situation. With probably no other way than to wait a few generations, in order to resolve it with out violence.

Republicans and Unionists could start up the violence again depending on the situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stevewinn
1 hour ago, Saru said:

Thread cleaned

Keep it civil please - there are way too many derogatory personal remarks being thrown around in this discussion.

well done about time you stepped in.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stevewinn
22 hours ago, danydandan said:

Nothing.

After brexit who knows. I'm hoping for a United Ireland.

a united Ireland and what's that going to bring?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RoofGardener
1 hour ago, Saru said:

Thread cleaned

Keep it civil please - there are way too many derogatory personal remarks being thrown around in this discussion.

Quite right !!! We shouldn't sink to such depths as personal insults !

Bignose

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RoofGardener
2 hours ago, danydandan said:

Absolutely not. 

I believe something like the US would work. There are a number of different cultures within the US. It would also help stop wars in Europe, that's one of the only good things the EU has done.

The problem is, danydandan, that the EU would progressively attempt to weaken and dilute local culture, in order to loosen the ties of nationality, and make it easier to subsume the individual regions and nations into the Federal States of Europe. This is ONE reason whey they are so keen on immigration from non-European cultures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RabidMongoose
1 minute ago, RoofGardener said:

The problem is, danydandan, that the EU would progressively attempt to weaken and dilute local culture, in order to loosen the ties of nationality, and make it easier to subsume the individual regions and nations into the Federal States of Europe. This is ONE reason whey they are so keen on immigration from non-European cultures.

If the people vote no just fill up their countries with enough immigrants to get a yes vote.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
danydandan
15 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

a united Ireland and what's that going to bring?

Who knows. 

But it's something every Irish man wants to see. Ideologically speaking. Whether it's practical or achievable without violence is another story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stevewinn
Just now, danydandan said:

Who knows. 

But it's something every Irish man wants to see. Ideologically speaking. Whether it's practical or achievable without violence is another story.

something that can only happen if RoI can guarantee the safety of UK citizens. sadly Londonderry highlights it cant.

Ireland wanted Independence, wanted to be treated as a separate country in its own right yet when the possibility of being treated like any other 3rd country violence is threatened.

Just look at the Irish border. a total none issue for me. But Ireland needs to accept that Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom IE: another country. if they'd be able to not only understand but accept that then a hard border would be no problem. 

after all isn't that what independence from the UK is.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RabidMongoose
1 hour ago, stevewinn said:

something that can only happen if RoI can guarantee the safety of UK citizens. sadly Londonderry highlights it cant.

Ireland wanted Independence, wanted to be treated as a separate country in its own right yet when the possibility of being treated like any other 3rd country violence is threatened.

Just look at the Irish border. a total none issue for me. But Ireland needs to accept that Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom IE: another country. if they'd be able to not only understand but accept that then a hard border would be no problem. 

after all isn't that what independence from the UK is.

The English no longer see Normandy or Calais as their rightful territory.

Give Ireland a couple of centuries, they will soon forget.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
keithisco
9 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

Turkey is not in the EU? if they did that then the EU has not acted well towards the UK. 

And that comment just goes to show your ignorance...No, Turkey is NOT in the EU. I wonder where you are from

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
danydandan

I was just watching Grand Tour, even Jeremy Clarkson thinks Brexit is a stupid idea.

"In a few years, when Brexit has caught up with us, we will need pick-up trucks because there will be civil war." 

I assumed Clarkson was a Brexiteer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hetrodoxly
15 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Jeremy Clarkson thinks Brexit is a stupid idea.

He want's to work for the bbC* again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stevewinn
9 hours ago, danydandan said:

If Ireland beats England in the Rubgyball today, I hear PM May will accept the backstop. Just so paddypower will stop taking the p*** out of Brexit.

Edxit is only 2/1. 

 

 

 

At least they can take the p*** outta themselves. 

Back on topic. 

Just note

Germany 1.5%. In 2018. Forecast 1% 2019.

UK 1.6%. In 2018. Forecast 1.8% 2019.

Problems for the Eurozone a head. THE GERMAN economy slumped to its weakest rate in five years, marking a clear slowdown after Europe’s economic powerhouse skirted close to the brink of recession. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.