Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Anyone ever heard of the Bafometters?

Truthisnotconspiracy

I ran across this organization recently and am looking for more information. From what I've found so far, the order is actually called The Blood Order of the Bafomet, using the french spelling, and is or at least was an order of assassins. It was founded by Templar Knight Hugues de Payen and is a baphomet worshiping sect of the Knights Templar themselves.  I have found very little so far but I am willing to share what I have found.If anyone else has more information please chime in. I want to learn all I can about these guys

Might you mean the Laird of Balmawhapple?

No this is not a novel. This is history. As for showing knowledge on the subject.. this is what I know about them. What do you know?

“The Assassinations of King Philip IV and Pope Clement V by The Blood Order of the Bafomet”

This account is taken from a paper presented to Le Société Pour la Recherche Historique in Paris in 1933. The author’s identity is unknown. (Translated from the French in 1954)

The first assassinations committed by the Blood Order of the Bafomet were those of King Philip IV of France and Pope Clement V. These were de l’ordre, meaning assignments originating within the Order. In this case, the Grand Hassan of the Hamburg Bafomerium dictated the deaths in revenge for the arrests and executions of the Knights Templar on October 13, 1307, known to history as The Great Purge of the Knights Templar. The Great Purge had been ordered by the king and sanctioned by the pope out of fear of the growing power and influence of the Knights Templar.

The Eighteenth Century historian Jean-Paul Gourges wrote, in a private letter, that the assassinations of both men were ordered during the Bafometters’ formative ceremony in Magdeburg, Germany, on January 14, 1308. The six-year gap between this date and the year in which the men were assassinated has never been explained, but it was perhaps due to the time needed for the Order to reorganize and re-establish itself after The Great Purge.

Although little is known of the pope’s assassination, details of King Philip IV’s assassination have been reported by those who claim to have seen an “assassination report” submitted by the man assigned to carry it out, a member of the Marseilles Bafomerium. According to a contemporary source, an undated letter sent from the Vizier of that Bafomerium, a Jew known as Silas Montevert, to a woman named Madame Claire LeBourger—probably the Maaj, or magician, of that Bafomerium—indicated that the assassination would take place during an upcoming hunting trip.

At the time, the Duke of Bourgogne maintained a luxurious hunting lodge at Roquemaure-sur-Rhône. He invited the king and a number of other noblemen to the lodge for an extended hunting trip. The king’s entourage arrived by coach on the evening of the 17th of November, 1314. The king, weary from the long ride, ate a light supper and retired early. Someone had passed the details of his arrival and stay at the lodge to the Hassan (leader) of the Marseilles Bafomerium.

The man who actually carried out the assignment was known as Abdullah Al Sayf, which in Arabic means “Abdullah of the Sword” (the Knights of the Bafomet use Arabic pseudonyms within their Bafomeria). A Frenchman, he had lost an eye in the Battle of Acre in 1291, and was described as “a small, dark man who never smiles.” He is reputed to have been one of the principal authors of the Bafometters’ “handbook” of assassination, Le Precis d’Armes. Al Sayf somehow inserted himself into the staff of one of the noblemen at the hunting party; there were several dukes and earls also there, and his notes on the assignment indicate that he was able to take advantage of the confusion caused by so many servants and attendants present.

Al Sayf used this assassination as a textbook example of the “coup douce” (“sweet strike”) technique, which the Bafometters attribute to the teachings of Rashid Ad-Din Sinan, the “Master Assassin” who led the assassins of Hassan-ibn-al-Sabbah. It has been established that some—as many as a dozen—Bafometters had survived ten years of captivity by Hassan after a failed attempt to assassinate him. They became some of Hassan’s most skilled assassins, led by Sinan and operating out of Hassan’s infamous mountaintop castle, The Alamut, in what is now Iran. They finally earned their freedom and returned to France. Their teachings remain a valuable part of Bafometter lore and practice today.

The most important of Sinan’s teachings was the use of subterfuge and deceit to frame or present as assassination as a natural or accidental death. In this case, Al Sayf chose the “tastahlikuh min almawt” (Pinprick of Death), a technique mentioned by Sinan in his autobiography and refined by Emil Cherchaud, a Fourteenth Century Bafometter assassin. This technique uses a wire with a wooden handle, like a curved ice pick, called a dadigger—a corruption of the Arabic word daghdigha (“tickler”)—to pierce the target’s eardrum and reach around inside the skull to puncture the medulla oblongata.

It was said that Cherchaud could cause a “stroke” on the right or left side of the target’s body, or even a specific degree of impairment, by manipulating the wire inside the brain. The manual recommends pressing a tiny ball of wax into the target’s ear to conceal the puncture. In fact, there are several “Pinprick of Death” methods reportedly detailed in the Precis d’Armes, including one that uses a wire as fine as a human hair to puncture a target’s kidney. The manual describes the skill necessary to insert such a thin and flexible wire into the human body as “difficult to achieve” and recommends practicing on slabs of bacon. The manual also claims that, because the target’s death may come weeks or even months after the attack, the insertion wound will have healed and will almost certainly be overlooked in a port-mortem examination.

Al Sayf’s assassination report to the Grand Hassan (the head of the Hamburg Bafomerium and the leader of all Bafometters)  mentions that the king was reprimé (“suppressed”) before the insertion of the dadigger, and it may be that Al Sayf, in his guise as a servant or attendant, was able to administer a sedative, probably an opiate, to the king during supper. His attendants later told his doctor that he’d appeared unsteady while preparing for bed, which they had attributed to exhaustion. However, a whole chapter of the Precis d’Armes reportedly deals with “Poisons and Opiates”, including the use of opiates in sedating a target.

The next morning, on the 18th of November, the king was found unresponsive in his bed, and was judged by his personal doctor to have suffered a stroke.  He died eleven days later, on the 29th of November, 1314. In what has been considered a “tribute” to Al Sayf’s precision in the use of the dadigger, his report, dated the 22nd of November, states that the wound would cause the king’s death “within a fortnight” (two weeks) of the attack.

Less is known about the assassination of Pope Clement earlier in the same year, on April 20, 1314, as no assassination report has ever surfaced, but it is reputed among the Bafometters that he was poisoned by an assassin from the Paris Bafomerium. The bizarre “accidental” cremation of his body while lying in state at Fountainbleu, France—supposedly by a freak lightning strike—is also assumed to have been done by the Bafometters, perhaps to conceal the cause of death.

As an actual medieval historian, this lurid fantasy simply doesn't pass the smell test of being something real. It sounds completely bogus, something to appeal to people with general conspridiocy curiosity but too lazy to learn actual history.

That, and I can't find a single reference to it in any legitimate historical source. Philip le Bel died of a stroke while hunting. Nothing at the time of his death mentions poisoning. Ditto Clement V. Somebody was sure that a good enough story meant people wouldn't even do basic research to disprove the story, and by you posting it here rather than checking out any legitimate source of info, it looks like whoever suckered you in with the story knew his mark.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 7

I'm no historian, I'm simply sharing what I've found. I think I mentioned that.. As far as King Phillip's untimely death I don't think the assassin's report said it was poisoning, I think it was something called a dagigger. And with the death of Clement, the only information I've found is the bafometter story, do you have any information on his death? As an "actual medieval historian," I would think you would share any insight you may have about the death of Pope Clement V that would shed light on his death.

Edited by Truthisnotconspiracy
  • Like 1

Baphomet is mentioned in The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail (73, 79).

Not that that would be exactly a great scholarly source ...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Truthisnotconspiracy said:

I'm no historian, I'm simply sharing what I've found. I think I mentioned that.. As far as King Phillip's untimely death I don't think the assassin's report said it was poisoning, I think it was something called a dagigger. And with the death of Clement, the only information I've found is the bafometter story, do you have any information on his death? As an "actual medieval historian," I would think you would share any insight you may have about the death of Pope Clement V that would shed light on his death.

I'm not going to do any better than, say, a book from the library or even a decent Wikipedia article. If you haven't seen any other accounts of the death if Clement V, then you clearly haven't been looking very hard: you're just passing on dreck without taking any responsibility for it. Basically, I'm not the one with an improbable historical conspiracy theory to propagate. 

It's telling that the term "daggiger" doesn't return a single Google hit, but that's two keystrokes away from the perfectly normal word "dagger."

--Jaylemurph

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Truthisnotconspiracy said:

No this is not a novel. This is history. As for showing knowledge on the subject.. this is what I know about them. What do you know?

“The Assassinations of King Philip IV and Pope Clement V by The Blood Order of the Bafomet”

This account is taken from a paper presented to Le Société Pour la Recherche Historique in Paris in 1933. The author’s identity is unknown. (Translated from the French in 1954)

The first assassinations committed by the Blood Order of the Bafomet were those of King Philip IV of France and Pope Clement V. These were de l’ordre, meaning assignments originating within the Order. In this case, the Grand Hassan of the Hamburg Bafomerium dictated the deaths in revenge for the arrests and executions of the Knights Templar on October 13, 1307, known to history as The Great Purge of the Knights Templar. The Great Purge had been ordered by the king and sanctioned by the pope out of fear of the growing power and influence of the Knights Templar.

The Eighteenth Century historian Jean-Paul Gourges wrote, in a private letter, that the assassinations of both men were ordered during the Bafometters’ formative ceremony in Magdeburg, Germany, on January 14, 1308. The six-year gap between this date and the year in which the men were assassinated has never been explained, but it was perhaps due to the time needed for the Order to reorganize and re-establish itself after The Great Purge.

Although little is known of the pope’s assassination, details of King Philip IV’s assassination have been reported by those who claim to have seen an “assassination report” submitted by the man assigned to carry it out, a member of the Marseilles Bafomerium. According to a contemporary source, an undated letter sent from the Vizier of that Bafomerium, a Jew known as Silas Montevert, to a woman named Madame Claire LeBourger—probably the Maaj, or magician, of that Bafomerium—indicated that the assassination would take place during an upcoming hunting trip.

At the time, the Duke of Bourgogne maintained a luxurious hunting lodge at Roquemaure-sur-Rhône. He invited the king and a number of other noblemen to the lodge for an extended hunting trip. The king’s entourage arrived by coach on the evening of the 17th of November, 1314. The king, weary from the long ride, ate a light supper and retired early. Someone had passed the details of his arrival and stay at the lodge to the Hassan (leader) of the Marseilles Bafomerium.

The man who actually carried out the assignment was known as Abdullah Al Sayf, which in Arabic means “Abdullah of the Sword” (the Knights of the Bafomet use Arabic pseudonyms within their Bafomeria). A Frenchman, he had lost an eye in the Battle of Acre in 1291, and was described as “a small, dark man who never smiles.” He is reputed to have been one of the principal authors of the Bafometters’ “handbook” of assassination, Le Precis d’Armes. Al Sayf somehow inserted himself into the staff of one of the noblemen at the hunting party; there were several dukes and earls also there, and his notes on the assignment indicate that he was able to take advantage of the confusion caused by so many servants and attendants present.

Al Sayf used this assassination as a textbook example of the “coup douce” (“sweet strike”) technique, which the Bafometters attribute to the teachings of Rashid Ad-Din Sinan, the “Master Assassin” who led the assassins of Hassan-ibn-al-Sabbah. It has been established that some—as many as a dozen—Bafometters had survived ten years of captivity by Hassan after a failed attempt to assassinate him. They became some of Hassan’s most skilled assassins, led by Sinan and operating out of Hassan’s infamous mountaintop castle, The Alamut, in what is now Iran. They finally earned their freedom and returned to France. Their teachings remain a valuable part of Bafometter lore and practice today.

The most important of Sinan’s teachings was the use of subterfuge and deceit to frame or present as assassination as a natural or accidental death. In this case, Al Sayf chose the “tastahlikuh min almawt” (Pinprick of Death), a technique mentioned by Sinan in his autobiography and refined by Emil Cherchaud, a Fourteenth Century Bafometter assassin. This technique uses a wire with a wooden handle, like a curved ice pick, called a dadigger—a corruption of the Arabic word daghdigha (“tickler”)—to pierce the target’s eardrum and reach around inside the skull to puncture the medulla oblongata.

It was said that Cherchaud could cause a “stroke” on the right or left side of the target’s body, or even a specific degree of impairment, by manipulating the wire inside the brain. The manual recommends pressing a tiny ball of wax into the target’s ear to conceal the puncture. In fact, there are several “Pinprick of Death” methods reportedly detailed in the Precis d’Armes, including one that uses a wire as fine as a human hair to puncture a target’s kidney. The manual describes the skill necessary to insert such a thin and flexible wire into the human body as “difficult to achieve” and recommends practicing on slabs of bacon. The manual also claims that, because the target’s death may come weeks or even months after the attack, the insertion wound will have healed and will almost certainly be overlooked in a port-mortem examination.

Al Sayf’s assassination report to the Grand Hassan (the head of the Hamburg Bafomerium and the leader of all Bafometters)  mentions that the king was reprimé (“suppressed”) before the insertion of the dadigger, and it may be that Al Sayf, in his guise as a servant or attendant, was able to administer a sedative, probably an opiate, to the king during supper. His attendants later told his doctor that he’d appeared unsteady while preparing for bed, which they had attributed to exhaustion. However, a whole chapter of the Precis d’Armes reportedly deals with “Poisons and Opiates”, including the use of opiates in sedating a target.

The next morning, on the 18th of November, the king was found unresponsive in his bed, and was judged by his personal doctor to have suffered a stroke.  He died eleven days later, on the 29th of November, 1314. In what has been considered a “tribute” to Al Sayf’s precision in the use of the dadigger, his report, dated the 22nd of November, states that the wound would cause the king’s death “within a fortnight” (two weeks) of the attack.

Less is known about the assassination of Pope Clement earlier in the same year, on April 20, 1314, as no assassination report has ever surfaced, but it is reputed among the Bafometters that he was poisoned by an assassin from the Paris Bafomerium. The bizarre “accidental” cremation of his body while lying in state at Fountainbleu, France—supposedly by a freak lightning strike—is also assumed to have been done by the Bafometters, perhaps to conceal the cause of death.

How is the above story different from a novel?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Truthisnotconspiracy said:

I ran across this organization recently and am looking for more information. From what I've found so far, the order is actually called The Blood Order of the Bafomet, using the french spelling, and is or at least was an order of assassins. It was founded by Templar Knight Hugues de Payen and is a baphomet worshiping sect of the Knights Templar themselves.  I have found very little so far but I am willing to share what I have found.If anyone else has more information please chime in. I want to learn all I can about these guys

I was a member of such an organisation.   Its historical origins were about as fanciful as what you wrote above, which is full of error. 

I imagine nowadays there are a plethora of such spin offs , and some that are just made up and have no existence outside internet articles about them. 

What do you want to know ? 

2 hours ago, Hanslune said:

Might you mean the Laird of Balmawhapple?

Or .... The Laird of Boleskine      ....  he was a 'Baphomet worshipping Templar '   :) 

Image result for Crowley OTO

1 hour ago, jaylemurph said:

As an actual medieval historian, this lurid fantasy simply doesn't pass the smell test of being something real. It sounds completely bogus, something to appeal to people with general conspridiocy curiosity but too lazy to learn actual history.

That, and I can't find a single reference to it in any legitimate historical source. Philip le Bel died of a stroke while hunting. Nothing at the time of his death mentions poisoning. Ditto Clement V. Somebody was sure that a good enough story meant people wouldn't even do basic research to disprove the story, and by you posting it here rather than checking out any legitimate source of info, it looks like whoever suckered you in with the story knew his mark.

--Jaylemurph

Lets hope it was not the history lecture for new members of the newly reorganised    'Order of the Solar Temple '   ( yikes !  ) 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Solar_Temple

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Windowpane said:

A  concoction of  Eliphas Levi I think  , for its occult insertions 

The original seems to come from French Knights on crusade ;  Indeed, Islam, back then, must have been a very strange thing to them.

Mohammed  -  (old French ) Mahomet  -  a mosque ;  Baphometh  -   then later Knights under torture confessed to all sorts of things, including treason and colluding with the enemy ( which I think they actually did at times, like  joining in with Saracens and creating a joint siege at Acre  (if that's wrong , I accept a spanking from J ) . In any case , at some stage the poor tortured knights probably admitted to worshipping a ' Baphomet ' . 

Later Levi introduced  his concept of Baphomet into occultism and the Esoteric Masonry of France England and Scotland  ;

Image result for levi's baphomet

1 hour ago, Windowpane said:

No it isnt .  It has a much wider range than that ... even got a wiki entry .... if one chose to look it up  .

I REALLY don't see an exclusive order of Europeans, even Baphomet worshippers, allowing Jews into their inner-circle in the 13th century. 

How did jews get into it at 13th C ?     I think it was an Arabic / French  mispronunciation of Mohammed.

The Jewish mysticism wasn't grafted onto it until  Eliphas Levi  Alphonse Louis Constant;  1810 –  1875)

4 hours ago, Truthisnotconspiracy said:

'Abdullah Al Sayf' would be a strange pseudonym for a Knights Templar, the name it's self isn't uncommon but roughly translated 'the sword of the servant of Allah' it appears someones taken a common Arabic name and the 'sword verse (Al Sayf) from the Quran.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, back to earth said:

How did jews get into it at 13th C ?     I think it was an Arabic / French  mispronunciation of Mohammed.

The Jewish mysticism wasn't grafted onto it until  Eliphas Levi  Alphonse Louis Constant;  1810 –  1875)

So the Jews were formally banished from France* in 1182, England in 1290 and Spain in 1492. Western Europeans had an amazingly bad ability to separate out different non-Western cultures for centuries afterwards, since virtually none of them ever saw/interacted with Jewish people. Especially in reference to anything even vaguely what we would occult or non-Christian**, they just didn't know what they were talking about and lumped everything together, so it's not surprising they'd show up here. 

It's probably not coincidental, though, that one of the first appearances of the word in print is from Ramon Llull, a Spanish esoteric writer of the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries who also wrote about Jewish mysticism and caballah. Although as a Spaniard before Ferdinand and Isabella , he /did/ have actual access to and relationships with Jewish people. And his works are deliberately confusing, so I'm sure ill-educated readers might walk away confusing knowledge about the Jews.

--Jaylemurph

*France at the time being pretty much just the northern and eastern parts of the modern nation-state.

**You can look at the Croxton Play of the Sacrament here (http://d.lib.rochester.edu/teams/text/sebastian-croxton-play-of-the-sacrament-introduction), where the Jewish characters swear by Muhammad and Allah. You know, as the Jews do.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, back to earth said:

Lets hope it was not the history lecture for new members of the newly reorganised    'Order of the Solar Temple '   ( yikes !  ) 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Solar_Temple

I don't think I saw it in the Wiki article but do they worship the pineal gland and drink pineal gland juice?

I would guess this story origin from one of these Assassin's Creed game. They tweak history a little to make their plot fit in. Assassin vs Templar do sound like their kind of plot.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

I don't think I saw it in the Wiki article but do they worship the pineal gland and drink pineal gland juice?

No , but they cut Princess Grace of Monaco sport's car breaks - hell of a thing to do  with roads like they have .  Off the side she went !

They did have a Holy Grail and it is an interesting enough story to diverge;   In a doco on them a former follower (before the deaths started )  was asked why he ( and others ) who were mature, stable professionals in their field adopted such rubbish .

- A question I am fascinated by . He related a story of a ritual where he saw a vision of the Holy Grail appear above the altar. He said nothing until later he asked a friend member if he saw anything. Without prompting he described the vision exactly , so it seemed real to him. 

Later in the doco, after the bust and the French police were going through the ruins of the place, in the cellar they found their ritual room and in the alter was holograph projecting equipment  ( and a few more bodies strewn around ) . 

Tracking the money trail is an interesting exercise , some weathy people were targets ...  I mean,  members .

1 hour ago, Gingitsune said:

I would guess this story origin from one of these Assassin's Creed game. They tweak history a little to make their plot fit in. Assassin vs Templar do sound like their kind of plot.

Waaay before that !

Certain ' Esoteric Templar Masons'   had tales of Knights Templar conversions when in the Holy Land , and nit to mainstream Islam, they. apparently bought back strange and 'mysterious' perhaps even occult practices and beliefs. A few spurious Lodges use pseudo Islamic motifs  ( well, not anymore  !  ... one can guess why ! )  some old ; degree jewels; have scimitars and crescent Moons and ' Turbaned Masters ' on them .. ' Period Egyptology ' as a 'fashion'  played its part as well . 

'Shriner'  jewel

Image result for Masonic jewel with scimitar and moon

I'm not saying it's without foundation, the Assassin's Creed teams has historians. They usually take a lot of historical facts, rumors and trivia, then add another layer of conspiracy theory to make a detail heavy plot. Then it gets hard to sort which is historical facts and which is spice added by Ubisoft. Especially with internet search. They had an opus in France, so it's possible these things are messed up. That sounds like prime materials they would use.

Truthisnotconspiracy, I would crack open books in libraries, if I were you. And give a search in other languages than English.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I've been looking and haven't found anything else either. However, I've posted the same thing on a few other sites and last night I chatted with a guy in Romania who says his uncle was a member of the Bafometters and one time his uncle told him that he was on the team killed the Prime Minister of Romania, who was a secret Nazi agent, in 1939.

1 hour ago, Truthisnotconspiracy said:

Thanks guys, I've been looking and haven't found anything else either. However, I've posted the same thing on a few other sites and last night I chatted with a guy in Romania who says his uncle was a member of the Bafometters and one time his uncle told him that he was on the team killed the Prime Minister of Romania, who was a secret Nazi agent, in 1939.

You should have mentioned you were fishing for interesting but clearly fictional sub-narratives. I could have told you all about that time I visited the Levant with my friends Barbara, Ian and Vicki, where we found out les Bafomettuers, led by Salladin, were attempting to execute Edward II!

--Jaylemurph

• Like 3