Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Plans to identify Loch Ness Monster DNA

Still Waters

The hunt for the Loch Ness Monster is on again - this time by a University of Otago scientist.

Anatomy department head Prof Neil Gemmell hopes to look for traces of unusual DNA which could belong to ''Nessie'', by gathering water samples from the Scottish loch before analysing them using the latest DNA testing techniques.

He said all large organisms lost cells as they moved through their environment.

He would be looking for something unique - ''an unusual lineage separate from all known species ... we're looking for the odd one out.

https://www.odt.co.nz/news/dunedin/otago-research-proposal-identify-loch-ness-monster-dna

• Like 4

• The title was changed to Plans to identify Loch Ness Monster DNA

Good Luck with that........(in both the serious and sarcastic tones)

My leading theory is that Nessie is a cousin species of the Plesiosaur and the Loch might likely have a connection to the Ocean where anything can go undetected. Perhaps they spend the majority of their time in the open ocean.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Still Waters said:

The hunt for the Loch Ness Monster is on again - this time by a University of Otago scientist.

Anatomy department head Prof Neil Gemmell hopes to look for traces of unusual DNA which could belong to ''Nessie'', by gathering water samples from the Scottish loch before analysing them using the latest DNA testing techniques.

He said all large organisms lost cells as they moved through their environment.

He would be looking for something unique - ''an unusual lineage separate from all known species ... we're looking for the odd one out.

https://www.odt.co.nz/news/dunedin/otago-research-proposal-identify-loch-ness-monster-dna

Not that I believe in Nessie but this is a great new experiment to use even in other places to help detect unknown species in those places. 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, White Unicorn said:

Not that I believe in Nessie but this is a great new experiment to use even in other places to help detect unknown species in those places. 

This is relatively new, but it's been used before many times. It's known as environmental DNA. It does have great application with real animals as you say.

• Like 4

I just hope that if they find anything odd we'll see a headline---"NESSIE FOUND!" film at 11

• Like 2

I doubt that Nessie will be found, but I would not be surprised that they find some other interesting specie in that area. That happens every time someone goes out looking, they find something interesting to report on. It might be a new shrimp, or sponge, or alga, or fish.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stereologist said:

I doubt that Nessie will be found, but I would not be surprised that they find some other interesting specie in that area. That happens every time someone goes out looking, they find something interesting to report on. It might be a new shrimp, or sponge, or alga, or fish.

Which is why cryptid searches aren't a waste of time. They won't find the thing they're looking for, but they'll probably find something interesting.

• Like 5

in the end, either with instruments or our own senses, wherever we manage to look, we perceive something...

wonder what they'll find. 

• Like 1

Cthulhu?

• Like 3

Sounds like looking for a needle in a haystack by examining each piece of hay in the lab one at a time.

• Like 1

If you have three fitty, the Loch Ness Monster will be at your door.

serously, might come up with something interesting.

Edited by Maureen_jacobs
Missed words
  • Like 1

This will no doubt prove once and for all that no trace of Nessie will be found.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-04-05 at 3:40 PM, oldrover said:

This is relatively new, but it's been used before many times. It's known as environmental DNA. It does have great application with real animals as you say.

The beauty of eDNA is that it can potentially help biologists track elusive or hidden species, and that it also has the capability of drastically changing conservation biology as we know it. Here's a good article from Smithsonian.com with more of the science and practical applications behind it.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Claire. said:

The beauty of eDNA is that it can potentially help biologists track elusive or hidden species, and that it also has the capability of drastically changing conservation biology as we know it. Here's a good article from Smithsonian.com with more of the science and practical applications behind it.

It does have a tremendous promise. I know it's going to be bad news, or no news, but I hope they start applying this in Tasmania. 

• Like 2