Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Apes can see things from your perspective

Claire.

Apes can see things from your perspective and help you out.

Our closest evolutionary relatives are quite the mind readers. And they can use that knowledge to help people figure things out when they are labouring under a misapprehension, according to the latest research. The ability to attribute mental states to others, aka theory of mind, is sometimes considered unique to humans, but evidence is mounting that other animals have some capacity for it.

Read more: New Scientist

• Like 4

I really, really think humans must lose their arrogance and realize that animals are smarter and more aware of their world than humans are.  

• Like 5

One question - Was the object yellow and shaped like a banana?

Even my dog remembers where she saw a cat or squirrel last and goes there to see if the "critter" came back.  She won the Critter Chaser job in the last election.  She wants to go our numerous times a day to do her elected job.  Better than most politicians.

Edited by paperdyer
fixed typo
  • Like 1

On 4/5/2017 at 8:27 PM, glorybebe said:

I really, really think humans must lose their arrogance and realize that animals are smarter and more aware of their world than humans are.  

I totally agree with you, glorybebe.

The ASPCA used to use this saying and I think it says it all:  "If you think they are dumb, then you aren't thinking."

• Like 3

I'm inclined to believe it's more subtle facial recognition than mind reading...think "mentalists"; they often fool people in to believing they have psychic powers when in fact they are just very, very good at reading body language and other subtleties. We humans can do it, primates can do it, I wonder what else evolved this ability? What other species require this ability?

• Like 2

We're just a Great Ape that created the Internet. We're so clever that we invented a way for other apes from from all around the world to tell us how wrong we are... but in the end we still act just like apes.

• Like 1