Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Baseball 2017

Myles

I'm a St. Louis Cardinals fan.   I will watch a game if they are playing.   

I hate the Cubs.  

• Like 2

Yadier Molina

Tony La Russa won more games than all but two managers in baseball history -- Connie Mack and John McGraw -- and his teams won three World Series in 14 postseason appearances. But in a recent conversation with a friend, La Russa attributed the success in his last seasons with the St. Louis Cardinals to somebody else.

That era in St. Louis history, La Russa explained, wasn’t about the work of a manager or a particular pitcher or masher. Rather, he said, what distinguished the Cardinals in this time was Yadier Molina, a catcher bearing a set of skills that no other team could come close to replicating for about a decade.

Molina turns 35 in July, ancient for a catcher, but he is still regarded as being among the very best at his position. And after completing negotiations for a new three-year, $60 million extension, he is signed through 2020; he loosely indicated at the press conference Sunday that the deal will cover the remaining years of his career.

Five years after that, he should be elected into the Hall of Fame easily. But he probably won’t be, because his offensive statistics will not be typical of those honored at Cooperstown, particularly the more recent inductees. His path to induction -- assuming it happens -- will be unorthodox.

Molina will soon pass 1,600 hits for his career, fewer than Jose Reyes, Nick Markakis and Melky Cabrera. Ian Kinsler, Jay Bruce and Mark Reynolds have more RBIs than the Cardinals’ catcher, and Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Mitch Moreland have more homers.

But a lot of what Molina has done well, as described by La Russa, coaches and teammates, cannot be wholly defined by statistics. Molina’s mere presence on the field, Texas Rangers general manager Jon Daniels mused the other day, meant that a typical part of a team’s offense was simply inaccessible.

In the NFL, there are shutdown cornerbacks: Those who are so good at enveloping wide receivers that opponents won’t bother throwing in the vicinity. In that sense, Molina has been a shutdown catcher: Opponents often haven’t even bothered to think about running against St. Louis, and the Cardinals have allowed far fewer steals in Molina’s era by an enormous margin.

Paul Hembekides of ESPN Stats & Information dug out some numbers.

Since Molina became the Cardinals' every-day catcher in 2005, they have allowed 651 stolen bases, the fewest in MLB over that span. The Arizona Diamondbacks have allowed the second-fewest with 934, about 30 percent more. In fact, four teams have allowed more than twice as many steals as the Cardinals over that time frame.

Since 2005, Cardinals opponents have attempted 1,020 stolen bases, which is 329 fewer than the opponents of any other MLB team over that span.

Scouts say that Molina’s ability to throw behind runners has seemingly had a dramatic impact on secondary leads -- when baserunners typically move toward the next base. Because of Molina’s arm and aggressiveness in whipping the ball to bases, some runners have remained mostly anchored to the base. Some of those who don’t have paid the price.

Most Catcher Pickoffs Since 2005:

Yadier Molina: 45

Russell Martin: 19

Jeff Mathis: 19

In Molina’s first full season in the majors, then-Cardinals pitching coach Dave Duncan talked about his catcher’s extraordinary imagination as a pitch-caller and his seemingly innate understanding of how to calm pitchers and coax them through rough innings. Infielders and outfielders tell of how Molina sets the St. Louis defense, moving teammates on the field like a puppeteer, with an understanding of where the ball might be hit next.

Adam Wainwright has had a lot to do with the Cardinals’ pitching success; the same is true of Chris Carpenter, Jake Westbrook and Jaime Garcia. But the only constant in St. Louis' pitching and defense since 2005 has been Molina, and only one team in baseball has had a better ERA in that time. From 2005-17, the Cardinals' team ERA is 3.79, second-best in MLB over that span. The Dodgers are first at 3.71.

Molina is not entirely responsible for that. But teammates have insisted through the years that Molina has deeply impacted the pitchers and their work beyond just throwing out runners. There are no stats that can reflect the value of Molina counseling a younger Carlos Martinez, or the symbiosis of the St. Louis pitching and defense because everybody in the Cardinals organization -- from his pitchers to his coaches to his managers -- have generally deferred to Molina’s judgment and choices, and thrived. Molina and his teammates have played in the postseason nine times, winning championships in 2006 and 2011

• Like 1

Thanks for the thread Myles, I'm a Yankees fan. On a side note Tim Tebow hit a homerun in his first at bat in the minors yesterday.

• Like 2

Myles I don't think there is a better baseball organization than the Cardinals. They consistently have competitive teams and imo have the best farm system in baseball. I don't know if you remember George Kissell who was with the Cardinals organization for over 60 years? l think Kissell is a good example of how the organization developed talent over the years and those players who in turn developed more talent for the organization.  

George Kissell: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Kissell

Predictions for the 2017 season: http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/page/SeasonpreviewMLB_2017predictions/2017-mlb-experts-mlb-team-predictions

• Like 2

14 hours ago, BrooklynGuy said:

Thanks for the thread Myles, I'm a Yankees fan. On a side note Tim Tebow hit a homerun in his first at bat in the minors yesterday.

Mrs ZZ is a huge Tebow fan!

He was all she could talk about even as cruise missiles were flying.

I used to be a luke-warm Rockies fan, now I'm looking for a team...maybe the Houston 'stros? :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, .ZZ. said:

Mrs ZZ is a huge Tebow fan!

He was all she could talk about even as cruise missiles were flying.

I used to be a luke-warm Rockies fan, now I'm looking for a team...maybe the Houston 'stros? :lol:

I'd like to see Tebow make it, I don't think he was given a fair shot at the NFL imo. The Astros have been improving the last couple of years would love to see them make the playoffs.

• Like 2

On 4/8/2017 at 9:20 AM, BrooklynGuy said:

I'd like to see Tebow make it, I don't think he was given a fair shot at the NFL imo. The Astros have been improving the last couple of years would love to see them make the playoffs.

I think Tebow should have given more thought into transforming into an NFL tight end.  

• Like 2

Not a great start for the Cardinals so far.   2-4 to start the season.  

• 6 months later...

The season is over...and here's the results of the first round playoffs: ALDS- The Yankees (wild card over Twins) defeated the heavily-favored AL champs the Indians, and the Astros' amazing year continues over the Red Sox. NLDS - the best winning team the Dodgers defeated the D-backs (wild card over the Rockies), and the Cubs return to their 3rd straight NLCS over the Nats. Despite the Dodgers-Yankees world series matchup is great for ratings, how about another world series trip for the Cubs? or the Astros' 2nd world series trip (2005 in the NL)? The Dodgers never went to the world series in like 30 years. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Solipsi Rai said:

The season is over...and here's the results of the first round playoffs: ALDS- The Yankees (wild card over Twins) defeated the heavily-favored AL champs the Indians, and the Astros' amazing year continues over the Red Sox. NLDS - the best winning team the Dodgers defeated the D-backs (wild card over the Rockies), and the Cubs return to their 3rd straight NLCS over the Nats. Despite the Dodgers-Yankees world series matchup is great for ratings, how about another world series trip for the Cubs? or the Astros' 2nd world series trip (2005 in the NL)? The Dodgers never went to the world series in like 30 years. 

As an Indians fan I have to say that loss to the Yankees was freaking devastating. I really expected a World Series run this year 

On 4/7/2017 at 2:53 PM, Myles said:

I'm a St. Louis Cardinals fan.   I will watch a game if they are playing.   

I hate the Cubs.  

Man I wish I would have seen this thread months ago I thought I was the only baseball fan around here. 

• Like 2

Astros fan here, I guess...out of convenience only.:mellow:

The only time I watch baseball is this time of year.

I like football.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Man I wish I would have seen this thread months ago I thought I was the only baseball fan around here. 

We call it "rounders" here in the UK. It's usually played by girls at school :)

• Like 3

6 hours ago, .ZZ. said:

Astros fan here, I guess...out of convenience only.:mellow:

The only time I watch baseball is this time of year.

I like football.

I don't believe Texas will have a world series ring in a long time, it's a state better known for football (esp university college level and the Dallas Cowboys-plus the Houston Texans), 3 NBA basketball teams (each have NBA titles)and the Dallas Stars (they won one stanley cup in 1999). 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Solipsi Rai said:

I don't believe Texas will have a world series ring in a long time, it's a state better known for football (esp university college level and the Dallas Cowboys-plus the Houston Texans), 3 NBA basketball teams (each have NBA titles)and the Dallas Stars (they won one stanley cup in 1999). 

They have at minimum a 25% chance to get on this year.   Actually better since they are up 2-0 on the Yankees.  

Cubs fans crying too much over the call in the game yesterday.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2017 at 3:33 PM, Myles said:

They have at minimum a 25% chance to get on this year.   Actually better since they are up 2-0 on the Yankees.  

Cubs fans crying too much over the call in the game yesterday.

Yankees won 2 at home (their rebuilt Yankee Stadium, the original house Babe Ruth made into a parking lot), so things can get lopsided tonight. The Dodgers could sweep tonight in Wrigley Field...the Cubs had their year (108 years without a world series title? LOL). Cubs coach Joe Madden broke a rule or two when he argued with the umpires. 

Edited by Solipsi Rai
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Solipsi Rai said:

Yankees won 2 at home (their rebuilt Yankee Stadium, the original house Babe Ruth made into a parking lot), so things can get lopsided tonight. The Dodgers could sweep tonight in Wrigley Field...the Cubs had their year (108 years without a world series title? LOL). Cubs coach Joe Madden broke a rule or two when he argued with the umpires. 

Yep, the Astros let this series get away.   Still 2-2.   If they win tonight, they get the next 1 or 2 at home.   Go Astros.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, anyone watching the World Series? Dodgers/Astros tied 2-2. 

Seen the cubs mentioned. The excuse train and the blame game are running wild on the north side of Chicago. It's like reading the comics, but even funnier.

6 hours ago, StRoostifer said:

So, anyone watching the World Series? Dodgers/Astros tied 2-2. 

Seen the cubs mentioned. The excuse train and the blame game are running wild on the north side of Chicago. It's like reading the comics, but even funnier.

How about those Astros? :tsu:

Well, other than losing last night that is....

• Like 1

Go Dodgers!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, .ZZ. said:

How about those Astros? :tsu:

Well, other than losing last night that is....

Just finished watching tonight's game. Man, that was crazy. I'm pulling for the Dodgers since they did me a favor and knocked the cubs out of the playoffs but that Houston offense swings some big schticks! Mercy!

• Like 3

I'm pulling for Houston.    I'm usually a National League guy, but not a fan of the Dodgers. 

• Like 1

Series tied 3-3. Game 7 Wednesday night. Darvish vs McCullers. Looking for Darvish to pitch a gem and give the Dodgers their first Championship since '88. Go Dodgers! B)

On 10/31/2017 at 9:54 PM, StRoostifer said:

Series tied 3-3. Game 7 Wednesday night. Darvish vs McCullers. Looking for Darvish to pitch a gem and give the Dodgers their first Championship since '88. Go Dodgers! B)

Sorry Dodgers fans (and everyone in So CA like me), the Astros won the series in game 7, score of 5-1. This is their first world series title...and the city recently struck by Hurricane Harvey has something to celebrate. 

• Like 2

Fantastic win by Houston!

Especially given the circumstances.

Now, if our football team could regroup after losing Watson.:huh: