Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Necroposting

XenoFish

This came up in a thread today and I wanted to ask members and staff there opinion on it. 

What would be a proper approach to resurrecting an old thread?

I know a few of the times we get someone quoting and that quote is from 2+ years ago. When whomever they are quoting hasn't posted in that long. So what is the proper way to do it.

I've got to give credit to OldRover from bring this up.:tu:

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 7

I can understand that new members resurrect dead threads.. 
Just because they are new and might not know how to see when the original poster was last active.

Next saturday I think I will buy a bottle of nice rum listen to some nostalgic music like helloween and spend the evening trying to resurrect as many dead threads as possible :rolleyes:

• Like 5

It depends on the topic. We have recurring topics, like ufo's and Bigfoot. That sometimes get brought back from the dead and encourage new discussions. 

However for more up to date responses it is encouraged to read the op's date, and refer to current information where possible.

Necro posting is a bigger issue when new members start digging through the archives, but the Mod team generally point the new member in the right direction.

• Like 8

I can understand if someone wanted to restart an old thread, but I really don't see a point in a way. Especially something older than 2 years. The only thing that bother me (personal gripe) is when a thread get's bumped by someone quoting a response from 2007 or something. The person who originally posted it is most likely no longer here.

• Like 5

You just have to become Xeno the necromancer who can bring back old, dead thread to life.

Edited by TruthSeeker_

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

I can understand if someone wanted to restart an old thread, but I really don't see a point in a way. Especially something older than 2 years. The only thing that bother me (personal gripe) is when a thread get's bumped by someone quoting a response from 2007 or something. The person who originally posted it is most likely no longer here.

Unfortunately there is very little that can be done to prevent this from happening.

• Like 1

Well I'm not complaining. I'm basically asking for an approach to this. How do we as members help handle it when it happens. Basically a plan.

• Like 1

There's is nothing more than what we already do. Pointing out gently to the person posting that the thread is a bit out of date is out only option.

• Like 1

Just speaking for myself, it doesn't bother me at all. I just *click* and Boom...there I am at the next topic.

• Like 7

If the thread had been stone cold for a while, I would probably start a new thread but link to the old one in the first post.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Still Waters said:

Necroposting is generally frowned upon, one reason being it knocks down the newer topics. However the reason some members join the site is because of something they've found on Google, then they post in the thread without realising how old it is. It really depends on whether what they post adds to the discussion or not, if they post something directly in reply to a member who hasn't been here for years, or ask that member a question, then we usually point that out to the new member and close the thread.

New members also have the option to start a new thread of their own on the same subject if they wish, if appropriate this is also relayed to them when closing the thread.

If im not mistaking that is what I did when I first joined..
As I wrote earlier here, some do not know how to check when the poster they commented was last active.
Or maybe they just want an answer to the quote not necessarily from the one who they quoted..
Or maybe they just wanted the information in the quote to be in their comment to make a point or to strengthen their own point of view or for whatever reason.

I dont think people resurrect old threads out of malice or to troll the forum. (yes of course there are exceptions)
Because if they knew that the person they asked their question has been offline for four years they probably wouldnt have asked that person.
Some may not know how to start a new thread..
I remember myself having a bit of a problem doing it, I have never been a member on another forum.

Edited by Herr Falukorv
  • Like 6

Ehhhh sorry for this post I was going to edit my other post but instead quoeted myself...
Im a real pro in this forum thing.

Edited by Herr Falukorv
  • Like 4

Firstly, thanks to Xenofish for starting this thread, I think it's something that puzzles a lot of people. Secondly, .ZZ. I think you've got a career ahead of you in copywriting 

10 hours ago, .ZZ. said:

it doesn't bother me at all. I just *click* and Boom.

You're a natural!

So, the general consensus is that you should use your head a bit? If someone posts that they saw a UFO in 2004, don't post a reply asking them what colour it was. In my case I intend to start a discussion about a well known specific incident, which I think has been covered here before, but I want to come at it from a different angle, so that'd be a time to start a new thread I suppose.

• Like 3

I dont think people resurrect old threads out of malice or to troll the forum. (yes of course there are exceptions)

I don't either. Most new members are genuinely interested in the topic they've found, interested enough to register an account with us so they can post in that thread!

Some may not know how to start a new thread..

True, but we're always happy to help anyone who doesn't know their way around the forums. Suggesting to a new member that they start their own thread is better than just closing the old one and leaving it at that. At least it gives the option for the discussion to continue but with 'new blood' instead of in a dead thread of inactive members who've left the site years ago. It's a much fairer option all round.

• Like 8

• 3 months later...

This thread has been quiet for a few months but I guess I'll ask anyways: what is generally considered an old thread? Would it be something like a thread that hasn't received replies for a year for example? My apologies if I'm asking in the wrong place.

• Like 1

Hi Vanillion,

Welcome to UM. Generally yes, a thread that has been inactive for a year would be considered old.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Daughter of the Nine Moons said:

Hi Vanillion,

Welcome to UM. Generally yes, a thread that has been inactive for a year would be considered old.

Hello and thank you for the welcome as well as the clarification!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Vanillon said:

Hello and thank you for the welcome as well as the clarification!

A year old thread is old but, if there is a new development in a story, by all means, post a newer thread.

The newer version of Invision is quite friendly, as far as 'copy & paste' If you want, just C&P the thread you're referring to from the address box..We'll see it.

The more adventurous will actually read it.

• Like 3

I have been waiting forever to necropost on this thread, but it's still nowhere near the 3rd page!