Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Possibly Haunted

ConnorB

I'm not sure of what to make of all this. I've never been a believer in anything like this but recently I've began to at least consider the possibility that ghosts are real. 

My parents and I just moved into our new house. The house used to be a hotel but we have remodeled half of the building into a home for us to live in and we have kept the other half of the house as a bed and breakfast. For the first couple of days I felt completely at ease and comfortable there but about a week after moving in I began to experience strange occurrences. It was the first day we were having guests staying with us and an hour or so before they arrived I went to double check all the rooms were up to scratch. I heard a man speaking inside one of the rooms and thought my Dad was in there so I opened the door and nothing. None of the rooms on that side of the house have radios and at the time they didn't have TV's so I was a little confused as to what I'd heard but at the time I certainly didn't think it was a ghost. 

I began to feel watched whenever I was in the house. Sometimes I'll be sat on my bed or in the living room and I could swear that someone had just walked into the room. My parents went out for the night and I'd just checked out the last of our guests so I was alone in the house. I soaked in the bath for a while and then went to the kitchen to make some dinner. It wasn't a shadow or something out the corner of my eye but I saw a guy walk past the kitchen door. I thought it was someone who had walked in off the street wanting a room and that he had walked into the wrong side of the house but when I went to search for him he wasn't there and when I checked the security tapes no one had come in or out of the building since my parents left. I called my parents and they told me to call the police. The police came, searched the house and couldn't find anyone or any signs of a break in. 

One night I fell asleep in the living room and woke up to hear someone crying. I thought it was my parents but they were both fast asleep and no one was staying with us at the time. I went to bed and had a dream about a guy who was drenched in blood introducing himself to me. For narrative purposes I'll call him Tom. The next day nothing happened to me but my Dad said that he'd seen a man with one leg sitting on one of the chairs in the garden. When he went to investigate there was nobody there. The attic is huge and my Parents wanted to clean it up and use it as another room for the B&B so we had to clear out the things the previous owner had left there. Most of it was broken furniture but we found a box of old school reports from the local school along with school awards and certificates for a boy called Tom. I told my parents about the dream I'd had previous to this but being a skeptical bunch we put it down to coincidence. We didn't want to throw that kind of stuff away and we had the previous owners number so we called her telling her what we had found and we also had a bunch of mail that had been sent for her so she agreed to come over to get them. When she came over she told us that Tom was her son and that he had committed suicide in the house and that is why she wanted to move. This was the first moment I considered the possibility of a ghost but tried to put it out of my mind. 

In school they asked us to do a history presentation on a local landmark and the teacher suggested I do mine on the hotel. So I researched the property and found out that during the war it had been used as a military hospital for wounded soldiers and the one legged man in the garden came to mind. Things are forever moving around the house like we will put down a book in one place and turn around to find it back on the shelf or in another room entirely. Now none of us can shake the feeling of being watched. I don't feel threatened or scared at all and if they are ghosts I don't think any of them mean us any harm but it would be interesting to know if there are any "tests" or ways to safely reach out to them. Thanks for reading so far and I look forward to your comments. 

• Like 2

My Mom experienced something like that. She heard what sounded like a child crying. People often hear their names called out loud, too (it has happened to me). It seems to happen in that in between time when you aren't quite awake, but you feel like you are. My Mother heard her name called as a child, and she almost came downstairs to see who it was. The voice said it was "Cine." My Grandfather woke up and intervened...sent her back to bed. Not before asking why she was trying to go downstairs. She told him and he was very afraid. His dead sister's nickname was Cine (short for Caroline). An odd nickname, and he claimed he had not mentioned it to my Mom. Cine had died before she was born and my Grandfather didn't like to talk about her. I'm sure it's possible that he mentioned her and did not remember. Interesting phenomena, though. 

• Like 1

This sounds very likely to be paranormal activity. I have heard enough stories in my life to have no doubts about the existence of ghosts. There are certain things often associated with ghostly activity; house remodeling projects; a suicide; and places of intense emotional and physical suffering (like a field military hospital). You have an unusual trifecta going on there.

It doesn't appear you have anything to be concerned about though except for the occasional frights. I might though be the more curious type and try things to get more information about your discarnate guests and the houses history (especially interesting is the military use). I would be tempted to see what a psychic medium experiences in the house. If anything interesting happens, let us know!

• Like 2

Let's explore probable, explainable solutions first rather than jumping straight onto the ghost band wagon.

These objects that disappear, have any been caught on your camera's? 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Redefining Success said:

These objects that disappear, have any been caught on your camera's? 

The cameras only cover the main reception and the entrances. We don't have any cameras in the living areas or in the hallways. 

• Like 1

My brother claims to have been haunted by a kid with a hanging eyeball for a few year as a kid.  He would wake up randomly in the middle of the night and kid would just be there staring at him, never doing anything else.  Eventually he just stopped seeing him.

As for seeing someone walk into a room no one is in, I've seen that happen a few times.  I plainly saw what looked to be my arm/leg disappearing around a corner only to find nobody was in the room when I went to check it out.  I just ignored it until my brother's friend walked into my room talking to me, then got confused when he realized I was in the kitchen when he saw me walk in there.

This too stopped happening after a few months.

My advice is to just ignore it unless whatever is happening starts becoming threatening.  Live and let haunt and all that.

• Like 1

Hi Connor, 

I'm going to treat you with enough respect to be direct with you. 

19 hours ago, ConnorB said:

It was the first day we were having guests staying with us and an hour or so before they arrived I went to double check all the rooms were up to scratch. I heard a man speaking inside one of the rooms and thought my Dad was in there so I opened the door and nothing. None of the rooms on that side of the house have radios and at the time they didn't have TV's so I was a little confused as to what I'd heard but at the time I certainly didn't think it was a ghost

Very wise. 

It wasn't a shadow or something out the corner of my eye but I saw a guy walk past the kitchen door. I thought it was someone who had walked in off the street wanting a room and that he had walked into the wrong side of the house but when I went to search for him he wasn't there and when I checked the security tapes no one had come in or out of the building since my parents left. I called my parents and they told me to call the police. The police came, searched the house and couldn't find anyone or any signs of a break in. 

You and your parents sound very level headed. It also impresses me that you were so convinced of what you saw. I can't offer any explanation. But were the security cameras covering the area where you saw the figure? 

One night I fell asleep in the living room and woke up to hear someone crying. I thought it was my parents but they were both fast asleep and no one was staying with us at the time. I went to bed and had a dream about a guy who was drenched in blood introducing himself to me...

... When she came over she told us that Tom was her son and that he had committed suicide in the house and that is why she wanted to move. This was the first moment I considered the possibility of a ghost but tried to put it out of my mind. 

Lets be honest, take this incident on its own. All we have is a coincidence. Your dream was just that, a dream. As for how much of a coincidence only you know that because you know how common this name is. It is not paranormal, despite what anyone says. This is a perfectly mundane occurrence.

In school they asked us to do a history presentation on a local landmark and the teacher suggested I do mine on the hotel. So I researched the property and found out that during the war it had been used as a military hospital for wounded soldiers and the one legged man in the garden came to mind.

I can't explain what your father saw but there is no connection between the idea of a one legged man and an old military hospital unless you choose to make one. 

28 minutes ago, oldrover said:

You and your parents sound very level headed. It also impresses me that you were so convinced of what you saw. I can't offer any explanation. But were the security cameras covering the area where you saw the figure? 

There aren't any cameras where I saw the man but cameras are covering the two front doors and the back door so I would have seen him enter the building. 

30 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Lets be honest, take this incident on its own. All we have is a coincidence. Your dream was just that, a dream. As for how much of a coincidence only you know that because you know how common this name is. It is not paranormal, despite what anyone says. This is a perfectly mundane occurrence.

I used the name "Tom" for narrative purposes. The name of the boy who killed himself was less common. Not unheard of but still not a name you hear everyday.  

• Like 1

A couple more things happened since my first post so I thought I'd make an update. 

When it comes to my books i'm a complete neat freak. I've always ordered them in exactly the same way to the point where I can tell you the exact shelf and the position on the shelf of any book I own. I came upstairs to grab my laptop charger and several of the books were in the completely wrong positions. The Harry Potter series was scattered around the shelves and placed in the middle of other book series. The classics had moved from the top shelf to the bottom and a couple of the books were facing the wrong way on the shelves. I certainly know I didn't do it and my parents had been downstairs with me the whole time. 

My Mum went to change a light bulb in one of the rooms and noticed that the door to the opposite room was open and the room has currently been vacant because the bed broke.The lights were turned on in there and the shower was running.

I've been curled up in bed watching Netflix for the past hour or so and I felt the bed next to me go down like someone was sitting on it and then felt someone cuddle up against my back and begin stroking my hair. That's something my Mum sometimes does so at first I didn't think anything of it until I turned around to talk to her and nobody was there. My door was shut so I went to ask my parents if they had just been in my room and both of them are cuddled up on the sofa fast asleep. When I say I felt someone stroking my hair it wasn't just a breeze or something making my hair stand on end. It felt like and actual hand was on my head and I could actually feel someone resting against my back. 

Still I know that alone and even combined that these things don't equate to ghosts and I know that correlation isn't necessarily causation but I think there will be a point where coincidence just doesn't cut it. 

• Like 2

Did you have a chance to read the article in the link I provided? Did you mention anything to your parents about EMF and/or carbon monoxide? 

As strange as it sounds faucets can sometimes turn themselves on due to pressure and other factors. It happened on an episode of Ghost Hunter's. 

Also Google Hypnogagic/hypnopompic hallucinations. That will help explain what you felt on your bed as well as other issues revolving around falling asleep or upon waking. 

9 minutes ago, SecretSanta said:

Did you have a chance to read the article in the link I provided? Did you mention anything to your parents about EMF and/or carbon monoxide? 

Before we opened up the B&B we had carbon monoxide detectors fitted through the building for legal reasons and the like. 

11 minutes ago, SecretSanta said:

Also Google Hypnogagic/hypnopompic hallucinations. That will help explain what you felt on your bed as well as other issues revolving around falling asleep or upon waking. 

I just googled it but when I felt that sensation I wasn't falling asleep. I was wide awake and laughing at the TV. 

• Like 1

So, this was a hotel (with an 'attic')... and the previous owners were living in it, ie using it as a home already, and then you had half of it remodeled into a house so you could live in it... and there was only enough left for a b&b?  And then the past owners volunteered the info about a son's suicide?

An unusual set of circumstances, I would observe, especially when added to the spoo-ooky occurrences that have now been added..

You need to add a coupla cameras to that security system, I'd say..

• Like 1

It used to be just a hotel and then the previous owners changed some of the rooms into living quarters and used some of the rooms as a B&B but when we moved in we wanted more living space for ourselves.I think she only brought up his suicide because when we gave her the box and she looked through it she began to tear up so she must have thought an explanation for her tears were needed perhaps. 

I know we are thinking of having cameras set up all over the place. I'm pricing video cameras now so I can record my bedroom. 

• Like 1

On 4/9/2017 at 6:50 PM, papageorge1 said:

This sounds very likely to be paranormal activity. I have heard enough stories in my life to have no doubts about the existence of ghosts. There are certain things often associated with ghostly activity; house remodeling projects; a suicide; and places of intense emotional and physical suffering (like a field military hospital). You have an unusual trifecta going on there.

It doesn't appear you have anything to be concerned about though except for the occasional frights. I might though be the more curious type and try things to get more information about your discarnate guests and the houses history (especially interesting is the military use). I would be tempted to see what a psychic medium experiences in the house. If anything interesting happens, let us know!

I completely agree with papageorge1!

On 4/11/2017 at 7:17 AM, ConnorB said:

It used to be just a hotel and then the previous owners changed some of the rooms into living quarters and used some of the rooms as a B&B but when we moved in we wanted more living space for ourselves.I think she only brought up his suicide because when we gave her the box and she looked through it she began to tear up so she must have thought an explanation for her tears were needed perhaps. 

I know we are thinking of having cameras set up all over the place. I'm pricing video cameras now so I can record my bedroom. 

Hotels often have many stuck energies and especially if they ever had a violent act committed. I'm much like papageorge1,  as I would do as much historical research on the place and the land that it sits on dear. No need to be afraid though. Just something that you don't yet understand. I too would set up some cameras about the place. If there is a basement,  I'd go down and film this area myself. Especially corners and dark hiding places. Be sure to carry a couple of large flashlights with extra batteries too! Happy researching dear.

On 4/10/2017 at 1:28 PM, oldrover said:

Hi Connor, 

I'm going to treat you with enough respect to be direct with you. 

Very wise. 

I can't explain what your father saw but there is no connection between the idea of a one legged man and an old military hospital unless you choose to make one. 

I completely disagree. Former Military Hospitals are often found to be haunted. So are places that had a suicide. I'd attempt to find a professional group who are experts on such things. They would be able to either debunk or confirm whether your home is haunted. Also they could give you much more information than anyone else, unless there is a reputable medium in your area. Good luck and be blessed dear.

32 minutes ago, Sherry Gibson said:

I completely disagree. Former Military Hospitals are often found to be haunted. So are places that had a suicide. I'd attempt to find a professional group who are experts on such things. They would be able to either debunk or confirm whether your home is haunted. Also they could give you much more information than anyone else, unless there is a reputable medium in your area. Good luck and be blessed dear.

Much handwaving...  Please name your best example of any of those places that has 'been found to be haunted'.  I trust said example will include some evidence, rather than anecdotes about scary places.  I can make plenty of those up too..

• Like 1

My phone refuses to write the misspelled Charlez. Check out The Haunting in Connecticut. Documentary, movie, numerous investigators, and all of the proof that they found.I don't have the website so you'll have to track that down. This huge beautiful home was rented instantly because of the low, low, price. As the occupants soon discovered that it was formerly a mortuary. I'm surprised that you haven't ever heard anything about it since it's internationally renowned. 

I know about it, I'm sure ChrLzs does too. Ed and Lorraine Warren are well known characters, and their relationship with Ray Garton is well known too. I'm surprised you don't know about that side of it, as it's 'internationally renowned' too. And this is the quality of evidence you're happy with? 

Edited by oldrover

14 hours ago, Sherry Gibson said:

Check out The Haunting in Connecticut. Documentary, movie, numerous investigators, and all of the proof that they found.I don't have the website so you'll have to track that down. This huge beautiful home was rented instantly because of the low, low, price. As the occupants soon discovered that it was formerly a mortuary. I'm surprised that you haven't ever heard anything about it since it's internationally renowned. 

In case you have missed it, here's an interview with the author the Warrens hired to write the book on their investigation. Why would he lie about the events that took place there? 

http://www.damnedct.com/damned-interview-ray-garton

Since I normally rip through post like these I'm going to just leave these link here for both the rational and irrational among us.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/03/15/ghosts-created-by-scientists-in-disturbing-lab-experiment/

http://mentalfloss.com/article/70293/6-scientific-explanations-ghosts

http://www.cracked.com/article_18828_the-creepy-scientific-explanation-behind-ghost-sightings.html

http://listverse.com/2013/09/30/10-scientific-explanations-for-ghostly-phenomena/

Here's one of my favorite.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Subtle_energy

Here you go. A heavy serving of food for thought. I know it might be a little scary but it's well worth it.:tu:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

Since I normally rip through post like these I'm going to just leave these link here for both the rational and irrational among us.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/03/15/ghosts-created-by-scientists-in-disturbing-lab-experiment/

http://mentalfloss.com/article/70293/6-scientific-explanations-ghosts

http://www.cracked.com/article_18828_the-creepy-scientific-explanation-behind-ghost-sightings.html

http://listverse.com/2013/09/30/10-scientific-explanations-for-ghostly-phenomena/

Here's one of my favorite.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Subtle_energy

Here you go. A heavy serving of food for thought. I know it might be a little scary but it's well worth it.:tu:

I have to thank you for the last link. Brilliant!

I'm also enjoying many other articles on the website. I didn't even know it existed. Thanks!

• Like 1

Your last and most irrational link doesn't begin to explain why the western form of Healing Touch is medically accredited and often a part of Nursing Programs. 

2 minutes ago, Sherry Gibson said:

Your last and most irrational link doesn't begin to explain why the western form of Healing Touch is medically accredited and often a part of Nursing Programs. 

Placebo effect. That's your answer. Funny that you wrote that. Because I've gone over it in my thread. 

Edited by XenoFish