Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

We dream loads more than we thought

Claire.

We dream loads more than we thought – and forget most of it

You dream more than you know. A new way to detect dreaming has confirmed that it doesn’t only occur during rapid eye movement (REM) sleep, and has shown why we often don’t remember our dreams.

Read more: New Scientist

• Like 3

I hardly ever remember my dreams.

Despite all this dreaming, many dreams are forgotten. Sometimes participants had a foggy idea they had been dreaming, but couldn’t remember what about.

That's what I'm like.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to have a habit of dreaming that I can't go to sleep.  I wake up and it's been hours since I went to bed.

• Like 3

What's interesting to me is, I remember the last dream I have when I wake up from that dream. Thing is, I'm experiencing or living or aware of that last dream while it is going on.

Why am I aware of dreaming that last dream before I wake up? Is it because I wake from it? I'm not aware of dreaming other dreams that I do no wake from. Do you know what I mean?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, paperdyer said:

I seem to have a habit of dreaming that I can't go to sleep.  I wake up and it's been hours since I went to bed.

Similarly, many moons ago, I went to bed at 11pm and couldn't fall asleep. I'm tossing and turning and keeping my eyes forced shut trying everything to fall asleep. I was aggravated and anxious as the night went on as I had class in the morning. I knew I'd either be dead tired or just not wake up in time. Nearly every hour on the hour I'd look at my alarm clock through all hours of the night. 3, 4, 5 am. It was ridiculous. Finally I just shot up from bed, looked at my alarm clock and it was barely 12 am. I did in fact fall fast asleep at 11 and barely slept an hour. Relieved as I was I was a mind blown at how real it seemed. Felt like I was really up all night. I call it my clock dream and I've never forgotten it.

• Like 2