Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Two psychics, two different predictions

BlueSkies

1 minute ago, BlueSkies said:

Reading people is one thing. What about making claims and giving out approximate dates. For example, a psychic telling a client that her boyfriend will break up with her in August. Complete nonsense, right?

This is sadly the use of suggestion which could lead you to unintentionally fulfilling the prediction.

Much like how I could tell someone they'll be in a wreck in two months time. Only for them to not pay attention to the road and get hit 3 weeks later.

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

This is sadly the use of suggestion which could lead you to unintentionally fulfilling the prediction.

Much like how I could tell someone they'll be in a wreck in two months time. Only for them to not pay attention to the road and get hit 3 weeks later.

Are you saying they use suggestion that has nothing to do with any prediction or a psychic ability of any kind?

1 minute ago, BlueSkies said:

Except that you won't come back in the future and most likely won't refer anybody so how is that good for business.Also, based on my experience there are two types: one will tell you nice story, something that will make you feel good and the other that will do the opposite; tell you something that will make you worry. What gives?

Not everyone wants a "happy story" based on their cold or hot reading of you and a quick game of 20 questions, they'll tell you what they want you to hear.

I'm trying to tell you not to put your life in the hands of frauds. 

Just now, BlueSkies said:

Are you saying they use suggestion that has nothing to do with any prediction or a psychic ability of any kind?

I'm at work right now. So when I get home I will pull up some resources for you to read. Check back in a few hours.:tu:

1 hour ago, freetoroam said:

Lol...there is being able to read people by their mannerarism..facial expression...the way they walk, talk and wave their arms...you could even read some of their past or present by the way they look...some are obviously drinkers, smokers, some obviously depressed...some very contented with their lives....are you getting this now? Its not psychic gifts...its just being aware and able to recognise peoples emotions and expressions....this is what the frausters play on.

criminal profilling is nothing to do with being psychic either...but it is a skill.

Yes it's a question of degree i.e. some have a developed perception for doing this.  I was surprised to discover that what I could perceive is not what everyone could e.g. finer detail that is not immediately apparent like I can often tell (on first meeting someone) a fair bit about their character and what they may have issues/blocks with.  I later discovered the term claircognizant.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I'm at work right now. So when I get home I will pull up some resources for you to read. Check back in a few hours.:tu:

Sounds great! Thanks!

3 minutes ago, BlueSkies said:

I don't see how that would pan out. If they tell you what you want to hear and it doesn't happen, you won't go back for more, will you?

Problem  is the profiler is able to tell them what they want to hear and it is based on probability....someone going to an alleged psychic wants something to happen...and many will even relate future events as to pre-seen events "fore told" by the alleged psychic....even where there are obvious differences. 

17 minutes ago, sees said:

Yes it's a question of degree i.e. some have a developed perception for doing this.  I was surprised to discover that what I could perceive is not what everyone could e.g. finer detail that is not immediately apparent like I can often tell (on first meeting someone) a fair bit about their character and what they may have issues/blocks with.  I later discovered the term claircognizant.

I would go more with psychological profiling....as it has nothing to do with being psychic....more on the lines of having the ability to use ones intuition to a great degree...some do it better than others. It boils down to being able to recognize the clues, what is being told and being able to read between the lines and throwing in some probabilities ..... with alleged psychics often a few probabilities as this makes the chances of a "result" greater. 

Basically an alleged psychic is not "seeing" the future, past or present, but is reading clues given.

it is a skill to do it well, but there is nothing psychic about it.

Edited by freetoroam

38 minutes ago, BlueSkies said:

Reading people is one thing. What about making claims and giving out approximate dates. For example, a psychic telling a client that her boyfriend will break up with her in August. Complete nonsense, right?

Yep..complete nonsense. But....chances are the girl who goes to an alleged psychic in the first place will break up with her boyfriend in August...please see Xenofish thread about how this works:

And remember the probabilities....normally more than one...so there will be windows of opportunities and more than one time scale when an event can happen. 

What do you know about this girl and her boyfriend,

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, sees said:

The wow is my amazement at your lack of knowledge on this matter.

There has never been proof of psychic abilities existing in any controlled experiment.  A few years ago a professor from Cornell thought he had actually proven some abilities to exist and he published his methodology and data for peer review but in two experiments to replicate his results the findings were negative.  No indication of psychic abilities

Psychic powers proven?      http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1330596/Humans-psychic-powers-New-study-proves-future.html

Results can't be replicated.   https://www.seeker.com/controversial-esp-study-fails-yet-again-1765959113.html

Over to you to show us your evidence of psychic abilities.

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

I would go more with psychological profiling....as it has nothing to do with being psychic....more on the lines of having the ability to use ones intuition to a great degree...some do it better than others. It boils down to being able to recognize the clues, what is being told and being able to read between the lines and throwing in some probabilities ..... with alleged psychics often a few probabilities as this makes the chances of a "result" greater. 

Basically an alleged psychic is not "seeing" the future, past or present, but is reading clues given.

it is a skill to do it well, but there is nothing psychic about it.

Maybe we mean the same thing and there is an inexplicable resistance to the word psychic; some people associate it with lying/boasting here!  (Something I have not come across elsewhere!)

There are many forms of developed intuition/psychic abilities i.e. seeing into the future is what a clairvoyant does.  I do not have that ability.

35 minutes ago, Merc14 said:

There has never been proof of psychic abilities existing in any controlled experiment.  A few years ago a professor from Cornell thought he had actually proven some abilities to exist and he published his methodology and data for peer review but in two experiments to replicate his results the findings were negative.  No indication of psychic abilities

Psychic powers proven?      http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1330596/Humans-psychic-powers-New-study-proves-future.html

Results can't be replicated.   https://www.seeker.com/controversial-esp-study-fails-yet-again-1765959113.html

Over to you to show us your evidence of psychic abilities.

See my post above this one.

Edited by sees

22 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

Recently, I have seen two psychics. I asked about a certain person in my life. One psychic told me that we are soulmates but the other said that this is just a casual thing and I shouldn't put too much thought into it.

Anyone has an idea why each psychic gave me a different reading about the same person?

I'm going to skip past the whole psychic powers or not argument currently going on in the thread- other folks have already pretty much hashed that one out so it's pretty moot to just make another comment about that. I'm going to jump right on to the spooky side of theory and lore...

There could be some different things going on. You might have encountered two charlatans. Or perhaps one genuine, one charlatan. Or two genuine folks. If two charlatans, the point is moot. If there was one of each, you may need to access your own life and feelings and see which one is more "true". If both were genuine... it could be that there was enough time between readings that something changed. Or it could be that both paths could potentially be true, but you still need to access your own life and feelings. A reading often isn't a road map with one path, and the more often you consult the map, the more roads you might notice. And sometimes fate just don't like to be second guessed, and will throw you a reading just because.

So really.. take both readings with a grain of salt and a wee bit of sugar.. and access what you feel about it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, XenoFish said:

yep, and this is from a """"former""" psychic. Good on this man - now. But here is the proof  that there is no such thing as being psychic, just in the """ former""" bit.  

Hook em in!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

yep, and this is from a """"former""" psychic. Good on this man - now. But here is the proof  that there is no such thing as being psychic, just in the """ former""" bit.  

Hook em in!

That's the thing about processing information slightly different from most people. You can fall into a self-delusional trap, I did it for a long time. Because it made me feel "unique" and "special". When all I was doing is basically cold reading people. I was just acutely aware of body language.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

That's the thing about processing information slightly different from most people. You can fall into a self-delusional trap, I did it for a long time. Because it made me feel "unique" and "special". When all I was doing is basically cold reading people. I was just acutely aware of body language.

The word unique has as much weight as the lone wolf fanatics....

The fact that some people are easy to read makes it easy for the readers...neither are unique. One had a skill to read and the other has the want to be read.

Well it comes down to what the person getting the reading wants. Most question are general, love, life, future. Not much more than that. You have people like Sylvia Brown who've made a life out of taking advantage of people. That is one of the reason I have a grudge against supposed "psychics", they charge you for some reading which is completely fake. You can get a more authentic "reading" from just talking to someone you trust, the advice they'd give wouldn't be motivated by money, just compassion and understanding (hopefully). Even if the OP decided to ask up for general life advice, I think we would most likely give our truthful opinion on his/her situation free of charge.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

IMHO, in order to be a psychic you must be processing information by utilizing something other than your 5 senses.  In your case you were using your eyes and ears to observe the mark and processing it with an innate skill you have, no need for some 6th sense that is undefined by science.  I am sure some people, like you xeno, are far better at it than others just as some folks understand math better than others and then with practice and maybe training you get better at it.  So is Sees claiming a special 6th sense? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Merc14 said:

IMHO, in order to be a psychic you must be processing information by utilizing something other than your 5 senses.  In your case you were using your eyes and ears to observe the mark and processing it with an innate skill you have, no need for some 6th sense that is undefined by science.  I am sure some people, like you xeno, are far better at it than others just as some folks understand math better than others and then with practice and maybe training you get better at it.  So is Sees claiming a special 6th sense? 

I agree with you on the "6th sense" aspect. While I like the idea of telepathy and telekinesis, there is no mechanism for them. And I guess from an evolutionary stand point no need. It's that woo aspect that grinds my gears. Especially when there is nothing to back a claim up. If in the near future science actually discovers something that could be classified as authentic esp I will gladly change my tune. Till then, no.

1 hour ago, Merc14 said:

Is developed intuition a 6th sense?  I am beginning to realise that the resistance (phobia?) to the word psychic is a lot like quibbling about the word when developed intuition largely covers it.

As to the debunking...sure there are fakes, so what? That doesn't invalidate the fact that some people really DO have more developed perception/awareness/sensitivity - call it whatever you like.  It's real!

Edited by sees
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, sees said:

That doesn't invalidate the fact that some people really DO have more developed perception/awareness/sensitivity - call it whatever you like.  It's real!

Sure it's real but it's not woo and it doesn't work through a woo factor. There is no quantum physics involved at all. 

Edited by XenoFish

28 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Sure it's real but it's not woo and it doesn't work through a woo factor. There is no quantum physics involved at all. 

I don't care for quibbling about the how/the means....the fact that it is a real phenomena is enough!

Edited by sees

Just now, sees said:

I don't care for quibbling about the where/the means....the fact that it is a real phenomena is enough!

You better care. It's the line between legit and fraud. You've made claims about your "abilities" and been asked several times for proof, I on the other hand have explained how it works. I make no claim to any "woo powers". That's the difference between you and I. Which is why we have this tension between us. There are to many people who ride the train to wooville and it's either because they are misunderstanding the actually concepts at work behind there supposed "abilities", they are delusion which is brought on by feeding their beliefs a steady stream of false positives, They want to feel special, or it's pure B.S. 

• Like 1

Ok folks.. I think the whole skeptic/believer-science/spooky-real/theory and general beliefs or not in psychics in general kind of arguments and bickerments has gone on long enough in this thread, and is really going into derailing from what the OP has asked. Knock it off please. Keep responses on topic and less digging into each other.

Rashore, moderating team.

• Like 1