Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

California superbloom from space

Merc14

Satellite imagery of the California superbloom

KQEDScience published this before-and-after photo this week of the ongoing wildflower superbloom in California, as seen from space. Hundreds of wildflower species bloom in California between March and July, but in 2017, thanks to above-average winter rainfall following five years of drought, the wildflowers are going bonkers. The image comes from Planet Labs — a start-up founded by three ex-NASA engineers — which used high-resolution satellite imagery to capture the space view of wildflowers in Carrizo Plain National Monument, Bitter Creek National Wildlife Refuge and just north of Los Padres National Forest.

http://earthsky.org/todays-image/before-after-photo-california-superbloom-from-space?utm_source=EarthSky+News&utm_campaign=46166515a5-EarthSky_News&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c643945d79-46166515a5-394012957&mc_cid=46166515a5&mc_eid=0125c99909

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 5

That looks much better, hoping there will be a few good years like this one in a row.

It's amazing how deserts are able to spring back to life with an array of such pretty colours and delicate blooms after a decent down pour of rain. It's truly a treat when it happens.

1 hour ago, Astra. said:

It's amazing how deserts are able to spring back to life with an array of such pretty colours and delicate blooms after a decent down pour of rain. It's truly a treat when it happens.

Also amazing that life plans for these long droughts and takes advantage of the opportunity when it arises

• Like 2

Global warming in action.  :P

Edited by Aftermath

That superbloom has brought out allergies I never knew I had

10 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

That superbloom has brought out allergies I never knew I had

Local Honey always helps me this time of year..

• Like 2

Just now, Goodf3llow said:

Hey thanks Ill give that a shot! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Goodf3llow said:

3 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

Hey thanks Ill give that a shot! 

Local honey worked great for me.  Took a while, but well worth it and so pleasant a treatment.

17 years ago (almost to the day), I moved to SoCal and for the first time in my life, I experienced terrible allergies whenever the Santa Ana's blew... it sucked.

Not being into pharmaceuticals for allergy relief, I went with the recommendation of a nutritionist and headed to my Farmer's Market and started taking local organic honey every day.  Helped right off the bat, but over a period of years... all symptoms have been gone for years now.

honey and cinnamon,  garlic and ginger... I generally take each day.

• Like 1