Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Russia’s new robot practices target shooting

Still Waters

Russia’s new humanoid robot F.E.D.O.R. has started practicing target shooting as its creators seek to improve the android’s fine motor skills and decision-making algorithms, Russia’s deputy prime minister in charge of the defense and space industry said.

"F.E.D.O.R. demonstrated his abilities to shoot from both hands," Dmitry Rogozin wrote on his Twitter page, adding that target shooting allows the robot "to set priorities instantly and make decisions."

http://rbth.com/news/2017/04/14/russias-new-humanoid-robot-fedor-practices-target-shooting_742333

There's more in this link -

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4412488/Russian-humanoid-learns-shoot-gun-hands.html

• Like 2

It's interesting, but not scary yet. Drove the car better then it did anything else.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bmk1245 said:

Heh, another "no analogues in the world" crap... Russkies even managed to fail in areas they were good at...

Because the other robots that might be considered analogues are way, way ahead in all areas, and that are not comparable. 

• Like 1

Russian super advanced robot....

55a2d5e42f6b85054983f98f0607a460.jpg

Anyone know where this is from?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Are you sure its Russian?

1 minute ago, bmk1245 said:

Are you sure its Russian?

Actually it is Star Trek

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Actually it is Star Trek

Star Trek Russian made robot?

Just kidding.

i don't like armed robots.  it brings us back to the old defense i was just following orders.

2 hours ago, DieChecker said:

Actually it is Star Trek

its a 1950 sci-fi movie don't remember the title.

As a Russian, I feel disgusted. I did not until it wasn't given the guns. After all, what can our country do nowadays besides this. Sad, sad times.

By the way, F.E.D.O.R actually pronounced "Fiodor" (with the accent on the first "o") in Russian. It's a Russian name, the same as Theodore.

Edited by Chaldon
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, DieChecker said:

I think it's from "Планета бурь" (Planeta Bur - Planet of the Storms). Though I may be wrong, it looks too crude for that film. I remember that it has pretty good effects (for the time). Some of the techniques devised by Pavel Klushantsev for "Планета бурь" were groundbreaking, for example the same method for creating the zero-gravity effect was later used by Kubrick in Odyssey 2001.

Edited by Chaldon
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, danielost said:

its a 1950 sci-fi movie don't remember the title.

It's from the Star Trek Voyager series, where Lt Paris was doing a Holodeck adventure as Captain Proton.... It just struck me as something the Russians would build and call top of the line.

Satans-Robot.png

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 3

A few thoughts pass through my mind reading the article and watching the videos:

1) I'm all for competition and the more people/companies/countries research, the better, but why do I have the feeling this Russian robot is a toy? 

2) the feats shown in the video have already been achieved by other robot years ago, so were's the innovation, its added value? Shooting guns? 

I have to say I've been positively impressed by the use of the drill, that's actually cool. 

3) The video looks poorly edited and especially it doesn't show the full story: it clearly shows you on the computer simulation what it should do, but the real footage doesn't. You can see for instance that it can't walk straight, since in a couple of frames one of the feet is clearly outside the black strip. And they don't show the real "aiming skill" with the drill, possibly because it failed? 

They show you on the simulation that it can hop on a jeep, but of course you can't see it. 

3) Is it driving on its own or remotely assisted? Does it change gears as well or just steers the wheel? Is it the robot or the remotely controlled exoskeleton doing the work? 

4) Especially the second video, sorry for any Russian here, is the typical Russian machismo propaganda. So sad. 

5) Guns? Really? WTF are you supposed to do with guns on the ISS? Save Ryan Reynolds from the evil alien? 

Take over the station and claim it Russian territory? 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Chaldon said:

As a Russian, I feel disgusted. I did not until it wasn't given the guns. After all, what can our country do nowadays besides this. Sad, sad times.

By the way, F.E.D.O.R actually pronounced "Fiodor" (with the accent on the first "o") in Russian. It's a Russian name, the same as Theodore.

What do you say will be the outcome, more in the likes of "the idiot" or "crime and punishment"?

I took a Robotics class when I was in College back in 1997, I think. I went back for one year after leaving the military to finish my BSME. Even then the US had robots that probably could have mimicked what we saw in the video. And Boston Dynamics had the beginnings of their Atlas robot like 5 or more years ago which was much more nimble, and smooth in its movements.

Boston Dynamics Atlas....

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Parsec said:

What do you say will be the outcome, more in the likes of "the idiot" or "crime and punishment"?

I'll leave it to the history to decide.

P.S.: My bad, I've never had a chance to read "The Idiot", and read "Crime and Punishment" only in the school (though watched a movie by Kulidzhanov since then). I find Dostoyevsky too depressive for me. Profound but depressive. I prefer Tolstoy and Russian romantics (Gogol, Pushkin, Odoyevskiy, Pogorelskiy).

There is one thing though about FEDOR which is technically really impressive - they made it move that fast and precise exclusively on servos, no compressed air! That's why the moves are so jerky as compared to the Boston Dynamics' productions.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Parsec said:

4) Especially the second video, sorry for any Russian here, is the typical Russian machismo propaganda. So sad.

Me too. I would say the same. I was grown up in the more peaceful times, just after the Afghanistan invasion, and that sudden return of bombastic militarism a-la Brezhnev just makes me sick. Unfortunately I can't tell whether I am a minority or a majority of the whole population - all the statistics today are contradictory. People are confused, they feel lies everywhere.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DieChecker said:

It's from the Star Trek Voyager series, where Lt Paris was doing a Holodeck adventure as Captain Proton.... It just struck me as something the Russians would build and call top of the line.

Satans-Robot.png

it is also from the 1950s a movie or serious.

22 hours ago, DieChecker said:

I took a Robotics class when I was in College back in 1997, I think. I went back for one year after leaving the military to finish my BSME. Even then the US had robots that probably could have mimicked what we saw in the video. And Boston Dynamics had the beginnings of their Atlas robot like 5 or more years ago which was much more nimble, and smooth in its movements.

Boston Dynamics Atlas....

That's my point. 

In all fairness, if it's a tech that has to go to space (especially on the ISS with human beings), possibly it has to be super tested and reliable. 

Atlas is still more or less a proof of concept as far as I know, no real applications available as of yet. 

So maybe that explains a bit why it looks so "outdated"? 

19 hours ago, Chaldon said:

I'll leave it to the history to decide.

P.S.: My bad, I've never had a chance to read "The Idiot", and read "Crime and Punishment" only in the school (though watched a movie by Kulidzhanov since then). I find Dostoyevsky too depressive for me. Profound but depressive. I prefer Tolstoy and Russian romantics (Gogol, Pushkin, Odoyevskiy, Pogorelskiy).

Ah yes, the pun was more in the titles themselves, rather than in the actual books. 

I agree he's really depressive (I would say decadent), but he writes so damn well. 

1 hour ago, Parsec said:

In all fairness, if it's a tech that has to go to space (especially on the ISS with human beings)

It won't. There is a Russian word for this sort of things: "показуха" (pokazukha), meaning ostentation, show, putting on, demonstration for the big bosses only, so they assign more funds. When the thing impresses but barely works and the deadline in near, the Russians do their best to perform a flawless pokazukha instead of a real thing. The art of pokazukha was born in GULAG, when the prisoner-slaves had no powers, tools and qualifications to produce something solid, but instead could make a facade for the Moscow bosses and journalists, which looked just like real and even could work for some time. Nowadays pokazukha still thrives, although there are powers, tools and even qualifications to make real thing. But making a pokazukha for a little share of the funds, especially using the hands of some enthusiastic undergraduates, and enjoying the life for the rest is too tempting.

The most of Russians live like they have only today to live. And so it is day after day. Somehow there is no belief in future and never was. There are great beliefs in great and fantastic things but not a bit of belief that today we are making the foundations of tomorrow. It's just like we always say "To hell with tomorrow, this way or another it's all gonna be destroyed, so there's no use in trying, but today we can make a great show (or simply drink to forget everything)". What's that? Some kind of inherent national depression? I don't know the true reason for this. It's something deeply rooted in the Russian culture.

And what is more wonderful, there are a lot of Russians who do believe in tomorrow. I think they even make up to the 50% of the whole population. Those are modest, decent and laborious people, very smart, very cautious, so they keep themselves as far as possible from the political world dominated by the ape-like machos. At all times they were the hindrance of the whole social system, they were the objects of envy and even hate, but, at the same time, the system has always been aware that without them it will actually completely collapse.

In the particular case of FEDOR, I suppose it's been conceived by some young enthusiasts, geeks, who really desired to "overtake and surpass the US" (the motto from the Soviet times), to make a robot no worse than Atlas. But then came the machos, took all the money, and the geeks, devoted to their idea, tried their best to make at least something. When it was made, they realised that it's good for nothing but pokazukha. ;) A typical sad story.

Edited by Chaldon
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Chaldon said:

It won't. There is a Russian word for this sort of things: "показуха" (pokazukha), meaning ostentation, show, putting on, demonstration for the big bosses only, so they assign more funds. When the thing impresses but barely works and the deadline in near, the Russians do their best to perform a flawless pokazukha instead of a real thing. The art of pokazukha was born in GULAG, when the prisoner-slaves had no powers, tools and qualifications to produce something solid, but instead could make a facade for the Moscow bosses and journalists, which looked just like real and even could work for some time. Nowadays pokazukha still thrives, although there are powers, tools and even qualifications to make real thing. But making a pokazukha for a little share of the funds, especially using the hands of some enthusiastic undergraduates, and enjoying the life for the rest is too tempting.

The most of Russians live like they have only today to live. And so it is day after day. Somehow there is no belief in future and never was. There are great beliefs in great and fantastic things but not a bit of belief that today we are making the foundations of tomorrow. It's just like we always say "To hell with tomorrow, this way or another it's all gonna be destroyed, so there's no use in trying, but today we can make a great show (or simply drink to forget everything)". What's that? Some kind of inherent national depression? I don't know the true reason for this. It's something deeply rooted in the Russian culture.

And what is more wonderful, there are a lot of Russians who do believe in tomorrow. I think they even make up to the 50% of the whole population. Those are modest, decent and laborious people, very smart, very cautious, so they keep themselves as far as possible from the political world dominated by the ape-like machos. At all times they were the hindrance of the whole social system, they were the objects of envy and even hate, but, at the same time, the system has always been aware that without them it will actually completely collapse.

In the particular case of FEDOR, I suppose it's been conceived by some young enthusiasts, geeks, who really desired to "overtake and surpass the US" (the motto from the Soviet times), to make a robot no worse than Atlas. But then came the machos, took all the money, and the geeks, devoted to their idea, tried their best to make at least something. When it was made, they realised that it's good for nothing but pokazukha. ;) A typical sad story.

And that unfortunately is very well depicted in Dostoevskij's books. 

Crime and punishment is exactly about that kind of mindset, if you think about it. 

Anyway, thank you for the insights on Russian society. 

That's really an unreal and sad situation. 

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 0:18 PM, danielost said:

it is also from the 1950s a movie or serious.

Sort of reminds me of the robot from the 1950's movie Tobar.  This may not have been the title, but the Robot was named Tobar.  It used to play periodically on a Philly channel when I was a kid.  Simple and kind of stupid, but I liked it when I was a kid.

Can we call the new Russian Robot Rambot?

• Like 1