Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
UM-Bot

Virgin Mary statue 'cries tears of blood'

50 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

GlitterRose
19 hours ago, deusex said:

Those people are doing this out of love, and you are writing this out of what?? hate?  So when taking your question, "how the world of man can go ahead" when people have so much hate.

Who is doing what out of love? Is the priest lying and using trickery on his flock out of love? And how would you know that? Maybe he's doing it because the collection plate has been light lately.

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Rlyeh
19 hours ago, deusex said:

Those people are doing this out of love, and you are writing this out of what?? hate?  So when taking your question, "how the world of man can go ahead" when people have so much hate.

Haha love.. yeah love for their superstitious fantasy.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GlitterRose
Just now, Rlyeh said:

Haha love.. yeah love for their superstitious fantasy.

And just to be clear...I don't hate poor and uneducated people when they fall for nonsense. I despise the people who know better fleecing them. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rlyeh
2 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

And just to be clear...I don't hate poor and uneducated people when they fall for nonsense. I despise the people who know better fleecing them. 

I never said anything about hating anyone. It's hard to have sympathy for those who purposely choose to remain uneducated.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
geraldnewfie

do people actually believe in this stuff? that was like one year a stone statue was bleeding from the eyes but yet they found a machine doing it with fluid and pipes :P if god really wanted people to believe then he/she/it would come down and do something miraculous or important

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paperdyer
On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 11:06 AM, ChaosRose said:

It's really hard to watch these people crying over a plastic doll someone has obviously smeared something red on. Shame on them for doing this to people over 5 minutes of fame. I'll bet their donations have increased.

Didn't someone do this a couple of years ago in Italy?  I remember it was posted here but not sure of the country.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HollyDolly

Chaos Rose and for everyone else, the statute is not in the parish church.It belongs to some family. Somehow people in the area heard about. One of them I suppose went to the priest and told him about it. He's not making money off this. In fact that he wants the Vatican to get invovled and order testing of the statute shows me he is of a skeptical and scientific mind. In the bible it talks about signs and wonders and false prophets. That one should not listen to them. He's right test to see if it is real blood. Test also for DNA to make sure its not blood from the family . I believe they did some testing of blood on the Shroud of Turin Wonder if would match it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MWoo7
3 hours ago, geraldnewfie said:

she/it would come down and do something miraculous

I'v been waiting for that fire to come ripping down like that one prophet story about a privy and a pile of soaked wood, oh wellz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Parsec
3 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

I don't see what good can come from getting people to cry and bless themselves over a plastic doll. If it's to foster faith, then those people now have faith in the plastic doll. And it's obviously not bleeding, so they're lying. This only works if you're an ends justify the means person, and the end you're trying to get at is idolization and adoration of a plastic doll. 

Ok, probably my new standard reply for this thread will be "not really". 

 

So, not really. 

 

Usually in this kind of situations, people don't idolatrise the doll per se, but as evidence of god's messing with our world ("miracle"). 

If you just want to criticise others beliefs free to do it, but if you want to understand other cultures leave your bias home and get off your high horse.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Parsec
2 hours ago, paperdyer said:

Didn't someone do this a couple of years ago in Italy?  I remember it was posted here but not sure of the country.

If it was a couple of years ago I think it was Mexico, but I could be wrong. 

Definitely in Italy it "happened" at least two or three times in the last 20 years. 

If I remember correctly one in the nineties was quite big, but then like @geraldnewfie wrote, they found out it was a hoax with hidden pipes. 

 

Just to make things clear, especially for @ChaosRose, although in the past (pre-enlightenment) the Church was the biggest "forge" in producing fake relics, nowadays they are quite tight and careful when it's about "miracles" or "bleeding statues". 

They do know that this kind of things are usually forgery (and probably don't exist), so they handle these claims quite seriously and throughly. 

 

They are the first who want to dismiss these claims, first because it doesn't "fit well" with today's secular society, second because, like ChaosRose and others said, sometimes it can backfire and people start to pay too much attention to the doll/statue and less to the Church. 

And of course everything that can potentially drag the flock away from their claws is dangerous and has to be suppressed or controlled. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stiff
2 hours ago, HollyDolly said:

I believe they did some testing of blood on the Shroud of Turin Wonder if would match it.

I would very, very, very much doubt it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GlitterRose
20 hours ago, HollyDolly said:

Chaos Rose and for everyone else, the statute is not in the parish church.It belongs to some family. Somehow people in the area heard about. One of them I suppose went to the priest and told him about it. He's not making money off this. In fact that he wants the Vatican to get invovled and order testing of the statute shows me he is of a skeptical and scientific mind. In the bible it talks about signs and wonders and false prophets. That one should not listen to them. He's right test to see if it is real blood. Test also for DNA to make sure its not blood from the family . I believe they did some testing of blood on the Shroud of Turin Wonder if would match it.

Yeah, we'll see if they actually try to get it tested. Obviously...obviously...this is a hoax. Anyone hoaxing doesn't really have a motivation to get their hoax tested. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GlitterRose
19 hours ago, Parsec said:

Ok, probably my new standard reply for this thread will be "not really". 

 

So, not really. 

 

Usually in this kind of situations, people don't idolatrise the doll per se, but as evidence of god's messing with our world ("miracle"). 

If you just want to criticise others beliefs free to do it, but if you want to understand other cultures leave your bias home and get off your high horse.

The doll is being held up in front of people. They're touching it, crying, and crossing themselves. 

You seem to think I'm uneducated about Catholicism, and I was raised Catholic. I even went to Catholic school. I know people pray to Mary and the saints, but in an intercession sort of way. This, on the other hand, is clearly idolatry. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GlitterRose
23 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

I never said anything about hating anyone. It's hard to have sympathy for those who purposely choose to remain uneducated.

That really should have been a response to Deusex. He was the one claiming every skeptic post was about hatred. 

That said, I don't think the poor necessarily choose to remain uneducated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
quiXilver

Catholocism is saturated in idol and saint worship.

At its core, it's really a thin veil of new names stretched over the old pagan seasonal procession and rites...

right down to their cornerstone sun/son king who is born, sacrificed and reborn in (the spring)...

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MJNYC
On 4/17/2017 at 11:25 AM, ChaosRose said:

Probably just something he's saying to the flock.

I doubt that very much.  Cynical much? :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ShadowBoy86x

Wow, i sure understood that video, thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Silent Trinity

I don't know what is worse, how many times people use this trick....or how many times people flock to witness this miracle.....

bullshit-meter-2.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WoIverine

I'd be curious to see an analysis of the blood. What type, human, animal, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Metaman92

Means a demon is coming; a big one... at least it does in the show Supernatural :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GlitterRose
On 4/19/2017 at 7:17 AM, MJNYC said:

I doubt that very much.  Cynical much? :D

Why yes, thank you. Lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GlitterRose
On 7/21/2017 at 3:35 AM, Silent Trinity said:

I don't know what is worse, how many times people use this trick....or how many times people flock to witness this miracle.....

bullshit-meter-2.jpg

Sometimes there just aren't enough likes.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GlitterRose
1 hour ago, Metaman92 said:

Means a demon is coming; a big one... at least it does in the show Supernatural :P

Lol...well they wouldn't have much of a show if it didn't mean that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Opus Magnus
On 4/17/2017 at 8:27 AM, ChaosRose said:

Who is doing what out of love? Is the priest lying and using trickery on his flock out of love? And how would you know that? Maybe he's doing it because the collection plate has been light lately.

Something interesting, I found is a story in the Apocrypha.  It's a story about Daniel and the priests of Bel, they are basically doing this this with their statue of the god Bel.  They had something like the statue would eat things on it's own, the offerings they left, and all the people were amazed.  Though, it turned out the priests of Bel had a trap door in front of the statue that would open and take the food, and I think there were also other things like fireworks.  I don't remember it all, but I think Daniel exposed them in the story.  I'm not sure about the accuracy, because these books were refused from the cannon of the Bible, but I read it in the Apocrypha when I had it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HollyDolly

Best thing to do is as Father Mendez says, subject it to scientific testing. Is it real human blood? If so, does the DNA match any of the family members who own the statute, if not then something extrodinary is going on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.