Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

First living bizarre giant shipworm found

Still Waters

About three feet long and glistening black with a pink, fleshy appendage, it looks like the entrails of an alien from a bad horror film. In fact, it is a giant shipworm.

Discovered in the mud of a shallow lagoon in the Philippines, a living creature of the species has never been described before – even though its existence has been known for more than 200 years thanks to fossils of the baseball bat-sized tubes that encase the creature.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/apr/17/bizarre-bivalve-first-living-giant-shipworm-discovered-in-philippines

• Like 7

So glad I wasn't eating my breakfast, when I watched the video.

• Like 1

Oh so creepy :( I hate worms, always had night mares of ever single one of my hairs was a worm, medusa :) My poor 95 year old Mom in the depression days went to school, was wiggling about and pulled out a tape worm and threw it up in the class, how devastating for a child. She always  has those bad night mares

Edited by docyabut2

48 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

Oh so creepy :( I hate worms, always had night mares of ever single one of my hairs was a worm, medusa :) My poor 95 year old Mom in the depression days went to school, was wiggling about and pulled out a tape worm and threw it up in the class, how devastating for a child. She always  has those bad night mares

Speaking of worms, I like the garden variety. They do a wonderful job by the recycling of organic waste. 

Your poor mum had a tape worm ? that's horrible....where on earth did she pull the worm from...do you mean she vomited it up ?

• Like 1

I'm more curious as to why these shipworms have never been found or seen before now ...

~

• Like 2

So the scientists killed the worm so they could dissect it or was it found dead in the mud?

1 hour ago, paperdyer said:

So the scientists killed the worm so they could dissect it or was it found dead in the mud?

That's why I didn't watch the video.  I couldn't watch someone killing another being, just because he can.  

When will we learn? :(

2 hours ago, paperdyer said:

Well, as the title and the article explain, these clams were located after a search by the team in an undisclosed lake.  While their general existence was known of, no one had yet found living ones.  This group extrapolated from the data they had the most likely place to find them, and they did.