Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Theresa May calls General Election for June 8

Still Waters

1 hour ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Wow, well that was embarrassing. She sounded like a 6th former that hasn't be paying attention in class. If Corbyn surrounds himself with people of that calibre he's doomed.

Labour have no policies,no idea and absolutely no hope in Hell.

Diane Abbot lives in Narnia or some other Fantasy land if she thinks that Labour can win.Quite frankly I haven't seen Labour in such bad shape since Micheal Foot and Kinnock.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Wow, well that was embarrassing. She sounded like a 6th former that hasn't be paying attention in class. If Corbyn surrounds himself with people of that calibre he's doomed.

Embarrassing doesn't even begin to describe her performance... she sounds exactly like a clone of Diane Abbott - both dumb as a plank of wood, never had real jobs, both have said that their driving ambition to get into politics was to "get power", and neither understand what it is like for the real population that they claim to champion.

If this is Corbyn's best then Labour is sunk - without a life preserver

• Like 2

9 hours ago, keithisco said:

Embarrassing doesn't even begin to describe her performance... she sounds exactly like a clone of Diane Abbott - both dumb as a plank of wood, never had real jobs, both have said that their driving ambition to get into politics was to "get power", and neither understand what it is like for the real population that they claim to champion.

"I said Costa Coffee out of memory, but maybe I meant Starbucks. Anyway it doesn't really matter, does it". 

As per the story after that, perhaps she'd have been better giving the interview in sign language. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

"I said Costa Coffee out of memory, but maybe I meant Starbucks. Anyway it doesn't really matter, does it". 

As per the story after that, perhaps she'd have been better giving the interview in sign language. 

Comedy gold.

21 hours ago, glorybebe said:

What I am curious to know from people who actually live there is: what is your opinion of Nicola Sturgeon.   Is she going to have a chance at upsetting the vote? We only get what is said in the news.  I would like to hear from actual citizens opinions on her and her ambitions.

Nicola Sturgeon and the previous SNP leader Alex Salmond, something fishy about the pair of them. - But what the people of Scotland are finding out is the SNP are more of a protest group than a Political party fit to govern, their divisive tactics coupled with their domestic policies and actions in Westminster prove this. They the SNP can only keep blaming Westminster for so long before the people stop accepting it and start questioning it. I'd like to think the Scottish will give the SNP a clear message in the general election but i wont be holding my breath.

As for the wider political landscape, the SNP can have no influence of worth as they only contest seats in Scotland, and their only other option would be to go in coalition but with whom? the Tories wouldn't agree and neither would labour so the SNP will remain a force in Scotland only. quite how long the people in Scotland put up with them is another story.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

Nicola Sturgeon and the previous SNP leader Alex Salmond, something fishy about the pair of them. - But what the people of Scotland are finding out is the SNP are more of a protest group than a Political party fit to govern, their divisive tactics coupled with their domestic policies and actions in Westminster prove this. They the SNP can only keep blaming Westminster for so long before the people stop accepting it and start questioning it. I'd like to think the Scottish will give the SNP a clear message in the general election but i wont be holding my breath.

As for the wider political landscape, the SNP can have no influence of worth as they only contest seats in Scotland, and their only other option would be to go in coalition but with whom? the Tories wouldn't agree and neither would labour so the SNP will remain a force in Scotland only. quite how long the people in Scotland put up with them is another story.

Thank you.  I look at some news sites and there are numerous stories on her.  She doesn't seem to shut up.  I wouldn't vote for her out of principal of I lived over there, she is SO annoying.  But that is me on the outside looking in.

On 21 April 2017 at 7:13 AM, keithisco said:

Pretty much, Labour will become a spent force after these elections. Poor leadership and outta touch policies will cement Labours demise. The Labour voters pretty much voted leave during the brexit debate and trying to represent them while a Tory leader delivers what they want is just not going to win Corbyn the election. For Labour to win it would effectively have to be holier than the pope so to speak and go full hardcore brexit leaving May with no where to go. Which does two things... it empowers its Labour voters and keeps them from voting Tory candidates in the upcoming election and second it scares traditional Tory voters that voted remain to look elsewhere, possibly at the Liberal democrats. 

What we have in essences is the rise of the Liberal democrats as the only sober party out there that see's a third way out of the drunken stupor that is brexit. Together with the SNP, the Liberal Democrats might just come out of this as the only pragmatic party/coalition (it's possible), able to represent anti isolationists in the UK. Cause as it stands there is no representation for the odd 50% that voted remain in the brexit debate.

Prediction: Tories will win the election handsomely and progressive voters will start to move away from dysfunctional Labour and jingoistic Tory into the arms of the Liberal Democrats. 

But the most important election result is not the forthcoming British one BUT the election in France. That's the one IMO that will make or break brexit. 

8 hours ago, stevewinn said:

That's your nationalistic wish and nothing more. The SNP will effectively reign in Scotland until the Tories or even the Liberal Democrats establish effective opposition and supplant the nationalist favour in Scotland. Now... when do you think that is going to happen?

12 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

Prediction: Tories will win the election handsomely and progressive voters will start to move away from dysfunctional Labour and jingoistic Tory into the arms of the Liberal Democrats. 

Nick Clegg pretty well banished the Liberals into the political wilderness for another 100 years.Labour and the Lib Dems are handing everything on a plate to May,both parties are in total disarray.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

That's your nationalistic wish and nothing more. The SNP will effectively reign in Scotland until the Tories or even the Liberal Democrats establish effective opposition and supplant the nationalist favour in Scotland. Now... when do you think that is going to happen?

The SNP will have no effect on Brexit and will stand at the back of the queue behind Albania and the like waiting for EU membership.

2 minutes ago, A rather obscure Bassoon said:

Nick Clegg pretty well banished the Liberals into the political wilderness for another 100 years.Labour and the Lib Dems are handing everything on a plate to May,both parties are in total disarray.

Being the only party that offers advocacy to the progressive and remain voters that is a very big call. The Liberal Democrats have been thrown a life line with these early elections. Not saying that they will win the elections (far from it), just that they will grow in both appeal and supporters. Expect them to do very well and claw back some if not all their election losses in 2015.

3 minutes ago, A rather obscure Bassoon said:

The SNP will have no effect on Brexit and will stand at the back of the queue behind Albania and the like waiting for EU membership.

That depends on many factors least of not the elections in France. If Le Pen is kept out and Scotland pulls away from the UK then Scotland will be shown the red carpet and not the chair behind Albania. 

5 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

Being the only party that offers advocacy to the progressive and remain voters that is a very big call. The Liberal Democrats have been thrown a life line with these early elections. Not saying that they will win the elections (far from it), just that they will grow in both appeal and supporters. Expect them to do very well and claw back some if not all their election losses in 2015.

Liberals are anything but progressive and as such will never be any political force in the UK.

• Like 1

Just now, A rather obscure Bassoon said:

Liberals are anything but progressive and as such will never be any political force in the UK.

So what your saying is that the UK has become a one party state? 

5 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

That depends on many factors least of not the elections in France. If Le Pen is kept out and Scotland pulls away from the UK then Scotland will be shown the red carpet and not the chair behind Albania. 

Le Pen may not win this time but it is just a matter of time before the right emerge and put a stick in the Spokes of the EU wheel.Long term the EU is doomed if they continue to ignore the wishes of the European electorate.

1 minute ago, A rather obscure Bassoon said:

Le Pen may not win this time but it is just a matter of time before the right emerge and put a stick in the Spokes of the EU wheel.Long term the EU is doomed if they continue to ignore the wishes of the European electorate.

I don't know about that. The latest terrorist attack will no doubt play into her hands and give her either victory or something close to it. But regardless... i don't think that Le Pen and her policies can be taken literally any more than Trump's. Trump has back flipped so many times since taking office that even the gymnasts at Cir Du Soleil are blushing. 

I think Le Pen will want reforms and extra French rights but dissolving the current EU does not favour France. 

7 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

So what your saying is that the UK has become a one party state? 

No Labour and the Lib Dems are handing a big majority to May simply because their policies are way out there.Corbyn is committing political suicide with his 500 bn spending plan.He will bankrupt the UK.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

I don't know about that. The latest terrorist attack will no doubt play into her hands and give her either victory or something close to it. But regardless... i don't think that Le Pen and her policies can be taken literally any more than Trump's. Trump has back flipped so many times since taking office that even the gymnasts at Cir Du Soleil are blushing. 

I think Le Pen will want reforms and extra French rights but dissolving the current EU does not favour France. 

I think her biggest goals are to remove France from the Euro and immigration.

Just now, A rather obscure Bassoon said:

No Labour and the Lib Dems are handing a big majority to May simply because their policies are way out there.Corbyn is committing political suicide with his 500 bn spending plan.He will bankrupt the UK.

Look i said it earlier and i will say it again. May has effectively given the Tory party the keys to the UK for a long time. But saying that the remainers and progressives are 'way out there' is not true. 50% of the electorate voted remain or would vote remain if another election is called. The Tories and Labour cannot cater to this significant voter group. Tory leadership is also removed from their heartland, granted not as much as Labour but it will take time for hard brexit to work and many trials and tribulations to boot. SNP will be dominate in Scotland and i expect the Liberal Democrats to grow exponentially from here on in.

1 minute ago, A rather obscure Bassoon said:

I think her biggest goals are to remove France from the Euro and immigration.

Yeah we've heard it all before from populists like Trump and co. They say one thing and then the cold hard truth sets in and the somersaults begin. immigration in France is specifically a Frence problem nd not an EU one, just like Britain. The immigrants that haven't assimilated in both countries came about due to direct immigration. I don't see or hear of Polish fruit pickers blowing them selves up nor or destitute Greeks attacking English banks. Using the immigrant debate to win elections and referendums is one thing but destroying your economy is another. 

Who knows... i can see the Euro going... maybe even closing EU borders but dissolving the power and prestige of France and Germany, no way.   

9 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

Look i said it earlier and i will say it again. May has effectively given the Tory party the keys to the UK for a long time. But saying that the remainers and progressives are 'way out there' is not true. 50% of the electorate voted remain or would vote remain if another election is called. The Tories and Labour cannot cater to this significant voter group. Tory leadership is also removed from their heartland, granted not as much as Labour but it will take time for hard brexit to work and many trials and tribulations to boot. SNP will be dominate in Scotland and i expect the Liberal Democrats to grow exponentially from here on in.

Clegg and his Neo-Liberals pretty much halted any growth for the Lib Dems.

15 minutes ago, A rather obscure Bassoon said:

Clegg and his Neo-Liberals pretty much halted any growth for the Lib Dems.

Mate you're talking in absolutes. Tory and Labour are outta touch with a good proportion of their voter base. Assuming that the major parties don't cater for them that they will never have a voice is crazy. This a vacuum that will be filled. Whether it's by a new party or a renovated LD is insignificant. 

24 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

You have a very twisted and inaccurate view of the political landscape in the UK. You characterise the Liberals as "progressives" when the truth is that they are incompetents with an unrealistic grasp of real-world politics that would drive this nation into the ground with their bloated demands for increasing Foreign Aid annually, turning highways into cycle-paths only, and mandating happy-clapping sessions for everyone on a daily basis. They would empty our prisons of the most heinous criminals and offer them voluntary therapy sessions with a fluffy white bunny of their choosing. Lets not forget that they would also outlaw our armed forces and simply fly the white flag of surrender from the roof of Westminster.

No, these "progressives" are extremely dangerous quislings and fifth columnists acting on behalf of a truly warped sense of reality. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, keithisco said:

You have a very twisted and inaccurate view of the political landscape in the UK. You characterise the Liberals as "progressives" when the truth is that they are incompetents with an unrealistic grasp of real-world politics that would drive this nation into the ground with their bloated demands for increasing Foreign Aid annually, turning highways into cycle-paths only, and mandating happy-clapping sessions for everyone on a daily basis. They would empty our prisons of the most heinous criminals and offer them voluntary therapy sessions with a fluffy white bunny of their choosing. Lets not forget that they would also outlaw our armed forces and simply fly the white flag of surrender from the roof of Westminster.

No, these "progressives" are extremely dangerous quislings and fifth columnists acting on behalf of a truly warped sense of reality. 

What is twisted about highlighting that the remain vote is no represented by any of the major parties, i.e. Labour and Tory? 

23 minutes ago, keithisco said:

They would empty our prisons of the most heinous criminals and offer them voluntary therapy sessions with a fluffy white bunny of their choosing.

That's actually funny. Not sure that you meant it as such but funny none the less. The only thing i can say is that socially progressive nations like Norway and Sweden actually run these white bunny classes and the results they get are amazing. Separating hard core from not so hard core is prolly a good idea. Any way, google it if you don't believe me.