Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Theresa May calls General Election for June 8

Still Waters

Conservatives  (or "Tories" to give them their proper name) Deny They'll Raise Taxes After Election!

Oh sorry, this should have been in Fake news headlines, shouldn't it. :unsure: 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, stevewinn said:

But what the people of Scotland are finding out is the SNP are more of a protest group than a Political party fit to govern, their divisive tactics coupled with their domestic policies and actions in Westminster prove this.

Is that, though, any different from UKIP really? or did people accept that UKIP's purpose was purely to get the whole Brexit business rolling, and once they'd done that their job had been done and they were never really serious candidates to be a party of government?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, glorybebe said:

Thank you.  I look at some news sites and there are numerous stories on her.  She doesn't seem to shut up.  I wouldn't vote for her out of principal of I lived over there, she is SO annoying.  But that is me on the outside looking in.

Sturgeon Arrested for Cruelty to Babies 

Scotland’s first minister, Nicola Sturgeon, holds a baby while out campaigning in Edinburgh.

Poor child. Although the child does seem rather amused by her childlike glee.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

Prediction: Tories will win the election handsomely and progressive voters will start to move away from dysfunctional Labour and jingoistic Tory into the arms of the Liberal Democrats. 

So you're anticipating that people who've always supported the Lib Dems are likely to behave like supporters of Bernie the Sanders did and forget the way that they ditched all the sprinciples that they claimed to have of opposing the Tories' _______________ (insert Tory outrage or cruelty here) and leaped into bed with Dave Cameron and had a good cuddle the moment they saw an opportunity of sharing power? 

• Like 1

Being the only party that offers advocacy to the progressive and remain voters that is a very big call.

yes, and they lied about offering that before. 

So what your saying is that the UK has become a one party state? 

That happened under Blair certainly, which is why I rather welcome Jezzer Corbyn and his going back to the old ways of Labour in the days of Michael Foot, even if it may not give him a hope of getting into power. 

7 hours ago, keithisco said:

Lets not forget that they would also outlaw our armed forces and simply fly the white flag of surrender from the roof of Westminster.

pardon, Keith? 

2 hours ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

pardon, Keith? 

Pardon granted Herr von Dreidecker :whistle:

'tis the curse of thinking on one's feet whilst ensuring that the dog is fed, the latches are set for the night, and "beating the bounds" before going to bed when a wrong word is utilised.

Meant to say "surrender the armed forces" - because the Libs are renowned for unilaterally revoking our nuclear arsenal, and for stripping the armed forces back to equipment levels usually reserved for a "Dads' Army" - hence the "White flag".  

Edited by keithisco
  • Like 3

On 4/21/2017 at 11:25 PM, Captain Risky said:

That's your nationalistic wish and nothing more. The SNP will effectively reign in Scotland until the Tories or even the Liberal Democrats establish effective opposition and supplant the nationalist favour in Scotland. Now... when do you think that is going to happen?

Scottish Westminster voting intention: SNP to lose 11 seats, Tories to gain 12 and Labour wiped out.

SNP: 44% (-3)

CON: 33% (+5)

LAB: 13% (-1)

LDEM: 5% (+1)

Westminster voting intention:

CON: 40% (+2)

LAB: 29% (-)

LDEM: 11% (+1)

UKIP: 11% (-2)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here's the Tories' hard-hitting campaign poster been unveiled then:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-election-idUKKBN17Z10G

Just how embarrassingly crude is that? You can tell it was done in a hurry, can't you. It's not the Army that has the nukes, you bunch of dorks, it's the Navy. And how ridiculous all that about attacking Corbyn about the nuke business is. No one in their right mind (even Boris Johnson, who I really don't believe is stupid) (although I'm not sure about Defence Secretary Fallon, mind) would seriously imagine that they'd ever launch a Strike without the say-so of the Americans, or even that if they really were to get rid of them then Vlad Putin would immediately attack Britain, just because he's a Dictator, and that's what they always do.

3 hours ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Well, here's the Tories' hard-hitting campaign poster been unveiled then:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-election-idUKKBN17Z10G

Just how embarrassingly crude is that? You can tell it was done in a hurry, can't you. It's not the Army that has the nukes, you bunch of dorks, it's the Navy. And how ridiculous all that about attacking Corbyn about the nuke business is. No one in their right mind (even Boris Johnson, who I really don't believe is stupid) (although I'm not sure about Defence Secretary Fallon, mind) would seriously imagine that they'd ever launch a Strike without the say-so of the Americans, or even that if they really were to get rid of them then Vlad Putin would immediately attack Britain, just because he's a Dictator, and that's what they always do.

have the Labour party officially launched theirs yet, or are they still chiseling it,

Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 1

I've still no idea who, if anyone, our local candidate may be. I presume the Tory will be the current one old Sir Hugo - I mean Richard - Drax. 

back tot he Tories' Tax Bombshell (and what is a bombshell anyway?), this is quite amusing. http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/david-davis-photo-jeremy-corbyn-debt-taxes_uk_5909eb14e4b05c397684fa92?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl1|sec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D1959505975_uk

I particularly like the third picture. 

5909ff261400001f001a655f.jpeg

:D 

Edited by Manfred von Dreidecker

7 hours ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

back tot he Tories' Tax Bombshell (and what is a bombshell anyway?), this is quite amusing. http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/david-davis-photo-jeremy-corbyn-debt-taxes_uk_5909eb14e4b05c397684fa92?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl1|sec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D1959505975_uk

I particularly like the third picture. 

5909ff261400001f001a655f.jpeg

:D 

Its tickled your fancy that poster hasn't it. :lol:

Well, the parties have started again! Had anyone noticed they'd stopped? Apparently the Lib Dems are going to explain that they're going to pour lots of lovely money into the NHS. How are they going to pay for that? Why, they're going to put up Taxes! :D Actually it does make rather a change to see someone be honest about it. They say that if people know that if it's going to go towards pouring money into the NHS, they'll be happy to pay more. Apparently the problem with th NHS, according to mr. Fallon of the Lib Dems, is that not enough money is poured into it. It's not, of course, anything to do with the fact that it's a gigantically top-heavy bureaucracy with literally millions of Managers but each hospital has about three doctors and nurses who all have to work shifts of four days on the trot, no. It's because not enough millions are poured into creating new forms of bureaucracy like something called Clinical Commissioning Groups, who decide that the emergency departments at big regional hopsitals ought to be closed and "customers" expected to travel 40 miles to the Big City because that'll be more "efficient" and "provide a better service to our customers". What do you think'll happen to your extra billions, Mr. Fallon of the Lib Dems? Will they allow these emergency units to be kept open and provide for hundred more nurses on the actual wards? Or will they be used to create several more lovely layers of bureaucracy and create even more jobs for university graduates with degrees in Management but b***** all knowledge of anything in the real world, let alone health care?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Well, the parties have started again! Had anyone noticed they'd stopped? Apparently the Lib Dems are going to explain that they're going to pour lots of lovely money into the NHS. How are they going to pay for that? Why, they're going to put up Taxes! :D Actually it does make rather a change to see someone be honest about it. They say that if people know that if it's going to go towards pouring money into the NHS, they'll be happy to pay more. Apparently the problem with th NHS, according to mr. Fallon of the Lib Dems, is that not enough money is poured into it. It's not, of course, anything to do with the fact that it's a gigantically top-heavy bureaucracy with literally millions of Managers but each hospital has about three doctors and nurses who all have to work shifts of four days on the trot, no. It's because not enough millions are poured into creating new forms of bureaucracy like something called Clinical Commissioning Groups, who decide that the emergency departments at big regional hopsitals ought to be closed and "customers" expected to travel 40 miles to the Big City because that'll be more "efficient" and "provide a better service to our customers". What do you think'll happen to your extra billions, Mr. Fallon of the Lib Dems? Will they allow these emergency units to be kept open and provide for hundred more nurses on the actual wards? Or will they be used to create several more lovely layers of bureaucracy and create even more jobs for university graduates with degrees in Management but b***** all knowledge of anything in the real world, let alone health care?

Hereby nominated for post of the week :nw:

• 2 weeks later...

So... Corbyn is addressing the nurses conference and re-iterates that he is going to pile more taxes on me to pay for his NHS funding increases. Has he not realised just how much money is already wasted in the NHS by incompetent managers, not charging health tourists, and enormous over-budget building costs?

I refuse to pay more until the real issues are addressed! Whilst we are at it... I refuse to pay more until the bloated Foreign Aid budget is reined in to sensible levels that actually deliver for our overseas friends (and I stress "friends"). No more funding of a Nigerian "Spice Girl" music group (that was 5m pounds well spent-NOT), no more free pre-loaded cash cards for indian nationals (let them cut back on their Space programme)...and the list goes on

All I have heard from Corbyn is how much extra he and his cronies want to spend of my money to sate their Marxist agenda. Diane Abbot? don't even get me started with that mathematically challenged Muppet whose only desire to enter politics was for "the power"<_< 

• Like 1

So Corbyn's Marxist agenda or idiotic blustering Tory toffs like Boris Johnson and Aggression (formerly "Defence") Secretary Fallon then? Well, it's a tough call. 

Edited by Manfred von Dreidecker

bit of a split vote thing brewing where I live as a local candidate is standing specifically on Local Hospital
and NHS issues - our local hospital is being downgraded bit by bit over time and people being made to travel
miles and miles to Worcester for many operations and services when we have a perfectly decent hospital right
here on our doorstep - 

the Conservative candidate who was very pro Brexit has been forced to stand down due to ill health and at the
moment is actually very poorly IN the Worcester hospital - not sure who her replacement is yet -

but I'm going to carry on with my decision to vote Tory because I think we have to get Brexit right or we are
in trouble and only Teresa May and her team can do this for us --  the others don't even support the referendum
result and would mess it all up good and proper -

If this wasn't Referendum Part Two I would probably vote for the Local Hospital guy - but what has to be done,
at this point in time... has to be done -- 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mr.United_Nations said:

Where is this money coming from?

From the network of atmospheric fiscal condensers Labour are going to set up. In other words. out of thin air. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, bee said:

bit of a split vote thing brewing where I live as a local candidate is standing specifically on Local Hospital
and NHS issues - our local hospital is being downgraded bit by bit over time and people being made to travel
miles and miles to Worcester for many operations and services when we have a perfectly decent hospital right
here on our doorstep - 

yes, that's exactly like they've been talking about round here. An enormous County Hopsital was constructed in the 90s in a nice convenient location for the surrounding area, but now NHS Management have suggested that it would be so much more efficient and provide a better service for our customers to make people have to travel up to 30 miles to the next Big Town where the hospital is surely already completely at capacity. And Prime Minister Theresa May always simply bleats like a goat in response to any kind of questions about things like this "We are pouring more money into the NHS than ever before". as if that's the all-purpose answer to everything.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

yes, that's exactly like they've been talking about round here. An enormous County Hopsital was constructed in the 90s in a nice convenient location for the surrounding area, but now NHS Management have suggested that it would be so much more efficient and provide a better service for our customers to make people have to travel up to 30 miles to the next Big Town where the hospital is surely already completely at capacity. And Prime Minister Theresa May always simply bleats like a goat in response to any kind of questions about things like this "We are pouring more money into the NHS than ever before". as if that's the all-purpose answer to everything.

it drives me nuts when they try and twist it by saying things like that ---

like we're completely stupid -

like a woman in labour or a dangerously sick child or someone having a stroke or heart attack is so much better off
having to travel around 25 - 30 miles to the allocated over stretched county hospital -

and don't get me started on the parking nightmare and the inconvenience and expense for the families and visitors -

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

3 hours ago, bee said:

it drives me nuts when they try and twist it by saying things like that ---

like we're completely stupid -

like a woman in labour or a dangerously sick child or someone having a stroke or heart attack is so much better off
having to travel around 25 - 30 miles to the allocated over stretched county hospital -

and don't get me started on the parking nightmare and the inconvenience and expense for the families and visitors -. 

The state of the NHS is tragic, along with many other public services.

Add to that stories hitting the headlines today such as:

UK unemployment at lowest rate in 42 years

Utter bull***t, which in no way reflects the reality of falling wages, zero hours contracts and the DWP's draconian new approach to welfare claimants.

What can you do though? There is only one option to vote for in the election as far as I can see.

Labour, even ignoring Corbyn's leadership shortcomings, are promising funding from thin air. Even the funding they are budgeting for is coming from higher corporation tax, which would be suicidal at a time when we're looking for new investment outside the EU.

Lib Dems? Farron still wants to turn the country upside down with a second referendum:

General election 2017: Lib Dem manifesto pledges new EU referendum

There are some tough times ahead, but if anyone can see a way through Brexit without Tory leadership, I'm all ears...

Hmm, is it me or does Corbyn appear to be drawing bigger crowds than May?  Almost like he was getting out there and meeting people and talking to them or something.  May seems to be avoiding the public, perhaps  in case a prole gets ideas above its station and tries to, you know, ask her a question or something.

Mays entire election campaign is built on Jeremy being unelectable  (this same Jeremy that has won more elections than her) - she appears to have no policies at all, other than to reintroduce fox hunting (because Elections are won on Serious issues like that!) , and if she can't bring herself to face off against Corbyn what chance does she stand when representing us against Europe? Give her an opportunity to state her case and she runs a mile rather than actually take him on!  She's utterly hopeless!  

Shes rested everything on the "hes a terrorist sympathiser"  gambit and it doesnt wash, not so long as she happily gets into bed with Saudis. And she seems to think shes running for President rather than Prime minister.  Strong and stable my ****!

And the idea that Corbyn might only be unelectable in the minds of the Blairites and media seems to be gaining ground.  Mays little speech today was met with anger and ridicule , labour is moving up the official polls for whatever thats worth since Brexit/Trump, and twitter seems to be entirely pro-labour: some of the surveys and polls I found there were reckoning 75% of people support Corbyn and Labour.   Apart from the lone cry of "but he supports terrorism!" from out in the cold. A cry which rings hollow  when you realise how the Tories cosied up to Assad...of course its different when we can sell weapons to them isn't ? 

So Theresa "lets sell the NHS and go fox hunting" May , I think you're out of touch and out of time.  I dont know if Corbyn will be a good PM, I don't agree with him on every thing, but this election hes got my vote, because he can't possibly be worse than anything the Tories can throw at us.

• Like 1

Since neither Corbyn nor May are standing for election in my constittuency, what they say, think or do doesn't really concern me.  I can't vote for either of them ;)  Not in a Parliamentary Election.

• Like 1