Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Theresa May calls General Election for June 8

Still Waters

8 hours ago, LV-426 said:

So... one day left.

Let's get some predictions in, for bragging rights and humble pie :lol:

I jest. I'm a little sad that some posters left after Brexit. Even though I didn't agree with many of their views, it's always good to have a variety of opinions.

I'm going to say Tory win, but by a narrower margin than May hoped for.

A poor showing for Lib Dems, slightly better than expected result for UKIP after recent events, but poor overall. SNP suffering a few losses to Labour in Scotland.

Im going for Tory Landslide, which includes seats taken in Scotland, meaning the Tories will have more seats in Scotland than Labour. SNP to lose 4 to five seats. UKIP dead. Lib Dems rigamortis. :D

1 hour ago, keithisco said:

Predictions! Now we are talking...:D

1. Tories 380

2. Labour 202

3. SNP 46

4. Lib Dems 4

5. Greens 0

6. Others: 18

What is the prize? :w00t:

Brave man Keith. 

I'll guess.

Tories; 391

Labour; 191

SNP; 44

Lib Dems 5

Plaid Cymru; 3

Greens; 1

UKIP; 0

Others; 15

• Like 4

Terrorism cannot be stopped , by any Gov't on earth, how do you stop a guy or a bunch of guys deciding to go out one day and kill innocent people , so no matter how many Police are patrolling the streets or elsewhere , they will not be caught until after the event ,maybe. The authorities have lists of known radicals but due to our Laws cannot touch them unless they commit a crime, they can even burn our flag in a public  place with the Police looking on and not arrest the perps as it might harm relations between the muslims and society, Even if we were to eradicate the leader of isis like Hydra another would step into his place. so this state of affairs is staying permanently the best we can do is damage control after the event as we have done recently.

• Like 4

This is one of the few times that you don't need to sign your name when an "X" will do, put your "X" in the right box and you will have a wonderful life afterwards according to All Parties ......Yippeee.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, spud the mackem said:

Terrorism cannot be stopped , by any Gov't on earth, how do you stop a guy or a bunch of guys deciding to go out one day and kill innocent people , so no matter how many Police are patrolling the streets or elsewhere , they will not be caught until after the event ,maybe. The authorities have lists of known radicals but due to our Laws cannot touch them unless they commit a crime, they can even burn our flag in a public  place with the Police looking on and not arrest the perps as it might harm relations between the muslims and society, Even if we were to eradicate the leader of isis like Hydra another would step into his place. so this state of affairs is staying permanently the best we can do is damage control after the event as we have done recently.

And yet, you say that as the mayor of London and the right-wing press crucify you. Not to manage the anthropomorphised wotsit across the Atlantic.

• Like 1

I notice no one's even commented on my incisive analysis. What's the matter, don't people want to defend Ms. May against my ruthless and unwarranted attack? :( Doesn't anyone want to explain what her planned policies are, and how they'll lead to a brighter tomorrow, economic success, a successful break with the EU and a safer and happier Britain?

What Theresa May Won’t Talk About When She Talks About Terrorism

It'll make no difference of course. Everyone will continue to jump up and down and cheer Ms. May because she's our only hope for Brexit. What has she planned for after Brexit? Does anyone know? Is there anything? The thing I find most baffling is that no one at all seems at all bothered that her promises area an empty shell and that the magic word "Brexit", like an incantation, will by itself do all that needs to be done. 

Edited by Manfred von Dreidecker
  • Like 1

who'd be a politician eh..?

we need them to make a representative democracy function - (no matter how imperfectly)

but it's a thankless task a lot of the time -

Teresa looked nice and relaxed going around with husband Philip yesterday as did Jeremy -
He wasn't going around with Philip May ^_^ but I saw a bit on the news with him getting on a train with a bag
and he looked quite happy as well - 

whatever we think of the politicians we've got - they are all we've got and so we can only vote to the best of our ability for what's on offer,
if we aren't prepared to step up to the plate ourselves - ?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LV-426 said:

Wow, that's some pretty specific predictions! :nw:

A date with bee or Manfred von Dreidecker at a restaurant of your choice :w00t:

Haha -

the best of luck to all making predictions - (I'm surprised more haven't had a shot at it with the fantastic prize on offer .. :rofl: )

Manfred might be a bit grumpy and start tipping tables over though - so best to pick me..... :whistle:

• Like 3

I'm guessing it'll be a hung parliament (or hanged, whichever)

Ive just been and voted, Now I'm having me mackerel for breakfast.  Yum!

I'm voting Humourless Authoritarianism, for a Stronger and Stabler Tomorrow. 

• Like 1

I'll be going to vote soon -

I will be voting twice..!!! .... no one panic it's all above board..

my neighbour's on holiday at the mo and her postal vote was messed up and failed to arrive - but in the nick of time
I took her to the town Hall and although it was too late for the postal vote to be sorted out she named me to vote for
her by proxy - 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

I'm voting Humourless Authoritarianism, for a Stronger and Stabler Tomorrow. 

Cheer up fella!

Ultimately, outside of our small contribution to the outcome of the election, there's basically sod all we can do to change the poltical system, or the general state of the world.

If it makes you feel any better at all, standing in the voting booth today, I felt like I was undergoing an uncomfortable, albeit necessary, rectal exam :blink:

• Like 4

15 hours ago, keithisco said:

Get your money out Lady bee and Count von Dreidecker... we're going to The Royal Oak in Fritham (New Forest), home brewed cider and cask ales and "proper" food :P It could even tempt me to give up my Tee-Totalism :rolleyes:

Royal Oak

hoorah - bring it on ... ;)

• Like 2

If you don't vote for Ms. May, she'll look at you like this.

Image result for theresa may looking sad

"You have been... a great disappointment to me." 

You wouldn't want that, would you.

• Like 2

But only members of the constituency in which she is standing as a candidate can vote for her.   And the only person who can elect her as PM doesn't have a vote ;)

• Like 2

Okay, the deed is done. I voted for the candidate who was born and brought up in my village. He's Lib. Dem.. I believe that the Conservatives and Labour are as bad as each other. Even though the candidate I voted for is Lib.Dem. he's proved in the past that he will vote against his party if he believes that will be best for our county. Everything he does is for his constituents.  

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Essan said:

But only members of the constituency in which she is standing as a candidate can vote for her.   And the only person who can elect her as PM doesn't have a vote ;)

yes, it's nothing at all to do with who we want to misrun the country, is it. It's all about which nonentity in a suit we wish to see (or more usually not see) lounging on the leather benches in parliament representing out small corner of the nation going "hnur hnur hnur". 

On ‎05‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 9:12 PM, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

have you (or anyone else) explained yet how the scenario that you've constructed where Mr. Corbyn could put the survival of Britain at risk through his refusal to use nuclear weapons (in effect, when NATO has apparently been disbanded, and the US has either abandoned Europe or has thrown in the towel, and every European power has presumably already been defeated so that once again Britain Stands Alone) is anything other than a fantasy in the very outer reaches of unlikelihood? 

The fact your idealism blinds you into being so utterly naïve about nuclear weapons scares the hell out of me.

My prediction is 100ish seat majority for May.

Edited by RabidMongoose

18 hours ago, stevewinn said:

Im going for Tory Landslide, which includes seats taken in Scotland, meaning the Tories will have more seats in Scotland than Labour. SNP to lose 4 to five seats. UKIP dead. Lib Dems rigamortis. :D

Brave man Keith. 

I'll guess.

Tories; 391

Labour; 191

SNP; 44

Lib Dems 5

Plaid Cymru; 3

Greens; 1

UKIP; 0

Others; 15

With May I do genuinely believe she will drive through Brexit and keep immigration down. So yes, landslide victory. I say 100 seats to be cautious but yes it could be quite a bit bigger.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

The fact your idealism blinds you into being so utterly naïve about nuclear weapons scares the hell out of me.

My prediction is 100ish seat majority for May.

Do you really think that Britain using or not using its nuclear weapons might ever make the remotest difference to anything?!  If the situation ever did arise everyone else would already have used their damn nuclear weapons by then! It'd be too bloody late for it to make the slightest difference by then anyway! Can't you comprehend this? The sheer naivety of those who believe that "we must have a nuclear umbrella to protect us" is so dazzlingly incredible. 

10 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

With May I do genuinely believe she will drive through Brexit and keep immigration down. So yes, landslide victory. I say 100 seats to be cautious but yes it could be quite a bit bigger.

what would you envisage her policy for and after Brexit being? Perhaps you might know, since she doesn't seem to have given much sign of having any idea.

Edited by Manfred von Dreidecker

2 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Do you really think that Britain using or not using its nuclear weapons might ever make the remotest difference to anything?!  If the situation ever did arise everyone else would already have used their damn nuclear weapons by then! It'd be too bloody late for it to make the slightest difference by then anyway! Can't you comprehend this? The sheer naivety of those who believe that "we must have a nuclear umbrella to protect us" is so dazzlingly incredible. 

To be honest, outside of a few Sun and Star readers, I don't think anyone thinks we need nuclear weapons to protect us.  We need them to be counted amongst the nuclear club, alongside the likes of Pakistan, rather than be relegated to the lower table.    Thats what its really about.

Now, whether being counted as a nuclear power is a good thing or not, and whether the price is worth it, are moot points.   But Trident is our membership fee.  Nothing more.

27 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Assuming it doesnt get used then it provides us with four benefits:

1. When needed we can make deep cuts to the military budget safe in the knowledge that no one will try it on due to our nukes.

2. It allows us to command a certain level of respect from other nations and if the need arises allows us to engage in nuclear blackmail during negotiations.

3. It means we ourselves cannot be nuclear blackmailed.

4. It acts as a deterrent against any tyrants or rogue states that want to attack us.

Then we can envision a whole range of war scenarios where nuking the enemy would be appropriate and fully deserved. From being the victim of a surprise nuclear attack ourselves, to retaliating against mass murder terrorism, or mass murder of Brits by a foreign power, to even punishing for a country invading part of our territory.

And finally, the one all generals are quick to point out which is that we want a broad range of weapons platforms because we cannot predict what will happen or what will be needed in the future.

Edited by RabidMongoose
  • Like 2

Two inspirational videos for you just in case you haven't made up your mind yet:

:D