Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Theresa May calls General Election for June 8

Still Waters

23 minutes ago, bee said:

Errrr I'm not wishing for that - 

typical of you to twist what I said to that --- :rolleyes:

Strawman jitters? The impression I got is that by mentioning a possible leadership spill you were advocating for Boris... If not then who would you like to be Tory leader, assuming the worse for May of course?

...another thing about this election, was it entirely Brexit based or did security play a big part... I mean it easy to say that people lost faith with the leave camps benefits with no responsibility attitude. Surely May should have been able to pick that up before she called the election. 

I recon the terrorists influenced these elections.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Captain Risky said:

Strawman jitters? The impression I got is that by mentioning a possible leadership spill you were advocating for Boris... If not then who would you like to be Tory leader, assuming the worse for May of course?

It's getting on for 1am here and I'm too tired to think much about that - 

I only voted conservative for the first time this election because of Brexit - so I don't know -
but I'm not keen on Boris - I thought May was the best person to take us through Brexit -
as voted for by the majority - but that could be in jeopardy now -

Perhaps the election results will be 'no change' and May tries to hold on - but her authority will have been weakened
for Brexit negotiations and in general - and it looks like she could be finished...?

The Remain Camp - EU bigwigs and globalists will be chuffed right now - 

I think I will have to go to bed - :sleepy: - Goodnight :) 

• Like 2

Most people don't realize. Membership in the E.U. is voluntary. The fact that Britain has to fight to leave E.U. means it changed into something it wasn't suppose to be.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, LV-426 said:

I still think there'll be a slim Tory majority. Exit polls aren't noted for their accuracy, but hey... who knows!

The worst possible thing that could happen right now is a hung parliament. You could just see the rest ganging up to overthrow the Tories, and leaving us in absolute chaos :hmm:

Doing other stuff for a couple of hours, but I'll be back later on when the main results come rolling in if anyone else is yawning, crying, cheering or anything inbetween :unsure2:

Bring back duelling. Pistols, swords, daggers, fists, strangling, extreme bad language for the men. Handbags, long fingernails, bad lipstick, sharp heels, teeth if they have any, and fists for the ladies. First contenders Diane Abbot V Mrs May perhaps. School kid rules etc. Swearing spitting pulling of hair and ball kicking allowed. Betting allowed but taxed. Tagging allowed under certain circumstances. Winner is the one alive or standing up. In the case of a mixed sex row a champion can be allotted. Boris for Mrs May perhaps in a duel against Corbyn. Looser's family pays for the damage to the building etc.

• Like 2

If the only result is that Brexit is dead, it will have been a worthwhile election. People are tired of being dictated to by the establishment and want to be heard.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Uncle Sam said:

Most people don't realize. Membership in the E.U. is voluntary. The fact that Britain has to fight to leave E.U. means it changed into something it wasn't suppose to be.

There sure wasn't this much drama when Greenland got out. :whistle:

I think it's the negotiation part which hurts. There should be a set date when the exit happen, after the country officially fill a demand to leave and not one that is two years away, or closer, maybe. And there should be a clear rule for what happen the day after, be it that there is no treaty left and the leaver is on the same status as, say, Bhutan or Bolivia, or that the old treaties which worked before the admission into EU are restored (which would be more advantageous for the reminers' business and citizen as well). But the two years negotiation or maybe kick out in the cold if it doesn't work out, is just plain crazy.

27 minutes ago, eugeneonegin said:

If the only result is that Brexit is dead, it will have been a worthwhile election. People are tired of being dictated to by the establishment and want to be heard.

They were heard.

You know 51.9% of Britain voted to leave the EU right?

• Like 1

But isn't the brexit already started? Won't Britain get kicked out on March 2019 at worst?

3 minutes ago, LV-426 said:

They were heard.

You know 51.9% of Britain voted to leave the EU right?

Now now it is 51.9% of Britain vs. the whole E.U. nations. Pretty much they want to keep Britain in so they can keep leaching off Britain's financial wealth like it is currently doing to Germany. That is why there is so much push back against Britain leaving...

3 hours ago, Uncle Sam said:

Funny, but that's what the Civil War historian Shelby Foote said concerning the Southern States leaving the Union. He said "They would have gotten into the thing(Union)if they didn't think they could get out of it."

1 minute ago, Gingitsune said:

But isn't the brexit already started? Won't Britain get kicked out on March 2019 at worst?

It's by no means guaranteed, and depends on what the outcome of the election is, which is starting to look like a bit of a trainwreck at the minute.

The Conservatives will win the largest number of seats, but it's looking dicey whether they'll win an overall majority. This means they'd have to form an alliance with another party to get a majority, which would likely have to come from a pro-Brexit party, such as the DUP in Northern Ireland.

It could very likely mean a new PM too, as May called the election expecting a landslide victory, and it's looking like it has backfired.

Labour, while officially they have agreed to honor the Brexit result, might look to seek a minority government by allying with other parties, which are almost exclusively against Brexit, as are many within the Labour party itself.

At best, if Labour get in, we'll have a p***-weak negotiating government, and at worst they'll seek a second referendum.

Honestly, whichever way it goes now, the beaurocrats in Brussels will be rubbing their hands with glee :no:

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Gingitsune said:

We won't be kicked out we're leaving?

I hate both labour and conservatives but I'm certain that I'd much rather see Corbyn lead a labour coalition government than May lead a conservative one.

Why do people think that only the Tories can negotiate on Brexit? This is nonsense. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cyclopes500 said:

I was a Labour supporter when I was younger. 18-26. Afterwards I understood more about the costs of running a country etc. So I switched to Conservative, later when I noticed immigration and EU was ruining the country I switched to UKIP. Personally I am a supporter of true proportional representation, not first past the post. Under PR UKIP would have won over 80 seats if my maths is correct. I'll work the PR results out once the count is over and put it on the board. Perhaps a few people watching my little space could do the same out of interest and check my maths out for me. Thank you.

Er...yer maths is a little off.  Barely half a million votes  out of about 35 million gets you about 10 seats.

Called Hung Parliament- whats the prize again?

Was exiting watching the results come in- disappointed Rudd managed to hang on, but Labour made some headway, taking Canterbury of all places. 

Difficult times for the tories ahead, and it was fun watching the pundits try and work what was going on with the whole thing, and only very late on managing to admit to themselves what a good campaign Corbyn has had, and how popular he actually is. 

Media were shouting down the Exit Poll last night but it turned out to be near as dammit spot on.

3 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

I hate both labour and conservatives but I'm certain that I'd much rather see Corbyn lead a labour coalition government than May lead a conservative one.

Why do people think that only the Tories can negotiate on Brexit? This is nonsense. 

Of the two teams put forward to actually negotiate the Labour one looks a lot stronger.

• Like 1

May ran a campaign of 'stability'. That's hilarious. The Tories have put the country up in the air twice in two years. This is the least stable the country has been since the War.

Tories basically reran the Remain campaign- hoping to influence the outcome with doom and gloom forecasts.

It didn't work for Remain either....

But the youth vote (well if you can call 18-24ish youths) decided this outcome.  Only one poll and possibly the exit poll took that into account, and were both dismissed as everyone knows young-uns don't vote, probably don't even wash or get out of bed. 

Edited by Torchwood
  • Like 1

On 4/18/2017 at 8:00 PM, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Do you think there's any chance of a hung parliament? 

Well, not wanting to sound at all smug, but who was it made this suggestion or prophecy right back at the start of the thread? :blush:

• Like 3

7 hours ago, bee said:

Young people influenced by Face Book and social media could be a dominant factor maybe.....?

All the more reason to censor them. <_<

6 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

Saying it's likely (which it certainly is) isn't necessarily the same as saying it's what you want. Certainly I'd rather have Ms. May than Boris.

Still, with the rate of turnover of Conservative Pri Ministers lately, he'll probably get his turn through the revolving door and be out again in less than a year after (another prediction coming up) he makes such a ***** of Brexit that he's ousted in a coup (and goes on to a successful TV career as the host of Have I Got News For You.) 

Edited by Manfred von Dreidecker
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, eugeneonegin said:

Um, wasn't Brexit supposed to be anti-Establishment? The Establishment wanted to remain, after all.

15 hours ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Do you really think that Britain using or not using its nuclear weapons might ever make the remotest difference to anything?!  If the situation ever did arise everyone else would already have used their damn nuclear weapons by then! It'd be too bloody late for it to make the slightest difference by then anyway! Can't you comprehend this? The sheer naivety of those who believe that "we must have a nuclear umbrella to protect us" is so dazzlingly incredible. 

I wouldn't worry too much about it one way or another.  Your government seems content to allow a level of immigration that will doom your future handily without any mushroom clouds.

2 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Um, wasn't Brexit supposed to be anti-Establishment? The Establishment wanted to remain, after all.

yes; I suppose he could be saying that those who voted Leave as a protest etc are now voting Labour though.

The BBC coverage couldn't work out what was going on deducing that UKIP voters were supporting Labour...

I don't buy that- I think UKIP jumped to support Tory but left leaning Tories jumped to labour OR apathetic tories didnt vote at all, while Labour snapped up the newly registered voters.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Torchwood said:

yes; I suppose he could be saying that those who voted Leave as a protest etc are now voting Labour though.

The BBC coverage couldn't work out what was going on deducing that UKIP voters were supporting Labour...

I don't buy that- I think UKIP jumped to support Tory but left leaning Tories jumped to labour OR apathetic tories didnt vote at all, while Labour snapped up the newly registered voters.

Alternatively, blame the all-purpose villain..

Image result for vladimir putin

Edited by Manfred von Dreidecker
  • Like 2