Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Theresa May calls General Election for June 8

Still Waters

54 minutes ago, Torchwood said:

Called Hung Parliament- whats the prize again?

well it could have been a cheese sandwich and a nice cup of tea with me and / or Manfred but now Manfred is claiming victory 
sort of, it is all up in the air... and you will have to make do with a bag of crisps as a consolation prize - B)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, eugeneonegin said:

If the only result is that Brexit is dead, it will have been a worthwhile election. People are tired of being dictated to by the establishment and want to be heard.

Alibongo..... ?......:unsure2:....... are you back.....?

• Like 2

* This just in: Tresa May says She has No Intention of Resigning.

So look out for a newsflash around lunchtime then when she'll appear outside No. 10 at that little portable lectern they must keep for that purpose and say, can we guess what? :blush:

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bee said:

well it could have been a cheese sandwich and a nice cup of tea with me and / or Manfred but now Manfred is claiming victory 
sort of, it is all up in the air... and you will have to make do with a bag of crisps as a consolation prize - B)

Sounds like the General Election...

• Like 1

On 4/18/2017 at 8:09 PM, Captain Risky said:

No chance. Exit polls point to an increased Tory majority. With Corbyn as labour leader May is a shoe in...

But sadly Cap'n's predictive powers are about as accurate as they were about, er. Brexit. :blush:

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

* This just in: Tresa May says She has No Intention of Resigning.

So look out for a newsflash around lunchtime then when she'll appear outside No. 10 at that little portable lectern they must keep for that purpose and say, can we guess what? :blush:

I heard a little while ago that she was going to speak to the country at 10 o'clock ---

The Tories must be in melt down at the moment and frantically deciding the best thing to do -

1 minute ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

But sadly Cap'n's predictive powers are about as accurate as they were about, er. Brexit. :blush:

No that's not entirely fair... even though the conservatives didn't win enough to govern outright or increase their seat numbers they still have more elected MP's than Labour. No one predicted the terror attacks either. 

Manfred... you're just celebrating the fact that Corbyn didn't shoot himself in the foot. 

1 minute ago, Captain Risky said:

No that's not entirely fair... even though the conservatives didn't win enough to govern outright or increase their seat numbers they still have more elected MP's than Labour. No one predicted the terror attacks either. 

Manfred... you're just celebrating the fact that Corbyn didn't shoot himself in the foot. 

Well, as you'll see from some of Steve's posts earlier in the thread, the assumption they were working from was that they'd be able to draw out a nice comfortable majority of 80 - 100.  

Just now, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Well, as you'll see from some of Steve's posts earlier in the thread, the assumption they were working from was that they'd be able to draw out a nice comfortable majority of 80 - 100.  

Yes why wouldn't political pundits assume that May would increase her working majority when the opposition leader harbours radical views on the economy and defence. It's a mystery to me at least that Corbyn did so well. Even Corbyns own party are not all united behind his leadership. May lost this election more than Corbyn won it. 

18 minutes ago, bee said:

I heard a little while ago that she was going to speak to the country at 10 o'clock ---

The Tories must be in melt down at the moment and frantically deciding the best thing to do -

Generally I don't like her Brexit stand but if I were a UK voter I would feel more comfortable with May in charge and hard Brexit than Che Guevera Corbyn and soft Brexit. You poms are a funny sort.

• Like 1

Corbyns delusional, i've just watched him claim on tv he's won the Election, ready to serve and negotiate brexit but even stranger John Mc Donnell saying Conservative needs to step aside because the people have spoken?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

Yes why wouldn't political pundits assume that May would increase her working majority when the opposition leader harbours radical views on the economy and defence. It's a mystery to me at least that Corbyn did so well. Even Corbyns own party are not all united behind his leadership. May lost this election more than Corbyn won it. 

Well I think May suffered from over confidence (and it got me too) so she didnt offer enough or put much effort into campaigning. She is still the one that will have the coalition government (because Labour doesnt have enough).

If I was her I would have suspended the £12 billion foreign aid budget and used it to create 800,000 x £15,000 per year jobs then given them to the younger adults (and long-term unemployed) whose employment history has been all over the place during the last 9 years. Many of the younger ones haven't worked since leaving school, college and university.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

Corbyns delusional, i've just watched him claim on tv he's won the Election, ready to serve and negotiate brexit but even stranger John Mc Donnell saying Conservative needs to step aside because the people have spoken?

Dear lord, some people really can't admit they got it wrong with grace can you. Look what i said just above; people were confidently saying that Ms. May would be able to increase her majority to over 100 easily, and tell Europe where to stick it. I'd say the people have spoken; what they seem to have said is that they didn't find the prospect of Ms. May particularly appealing. Have a bit of grace, do.

Just now, RabidMongoose said:

Well I think May suffered from over confidence (and it got me too) so she didnt offer enough or put much effort into campaigning. She is still the one that will have the coalition government (because Labour doesnt have enough).

If I was her I would have suspended the £12 billion foreign aid budget and used it to create 800,000 x £15,000 per year jobs then given them to the younger adults (and long-term unemployed) whose employment history has been all over the place during the last 9 years. Many of the younger ones haven't worked since leaving school, college and university.

On the surface I would have to agree with you. But if you scratch a little you'll find that the UK people want serious change that transcends political lines. Brexit and radical reforms like those proposed by Corbyn are starting to take root. 

Its so hard I think for all parties to put a positive spin on the results. All parties have just only crossed the line. The UK is deeply divided and so will politics be for a long time. 

2 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Dear lord, some people really can't admit they got it wrong with grace can you. Look what i said just above; people were confidently saying that Ms. May would be able to increase her majority to over 100 easily, and tell Europe where to stick it. I'd say the people have spoken; what they seem to have said is that they didn't find the prospect of Ms. May particularly appealing. Have a bit of grace, do.

Yes, it got many of us. But Labour + Liberal + SNP still isn't a majority. Corbyn needs to go as does May.

3 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Get what wrong? Logic said that May should have won. 

On the surface I would have to agree with you. But if you scratch a little you'll find that the UK people want serious change that transcends political lines. Brexit and radical reforms like those proposed by Corbyn are starting to take root. 

Its so hard I think for all parties to put a positive spin on the results. All parties have just only crossed the line. The UK is deeply divided and so will politics be for a long time. 

There are those who want something radical which have turned to Corbyn because they have spent most of the last 9 years struggling financially. May didnt do anything to collect any of those votes. Its a case of if the only option available to get them out of their situation is voting for a far-left Labour leader then they do it.

Tactically May has dont very little as she assumed this election was just a formality.

1 minute ago, RabidMongoose said:

Yes, it got many of us. But Labour + Liberal + SNP still isn't a majority. Corbyn needs to go as does May.

he did better than anyone could have imagined and gained 29 seats and he still needs to go?  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

Make no mistake, this was a clear win for Corbyn and a loss for May. If the left can unite to form a coalition, then Corbyn will even be PM. 

Just now, RabidMongoose said:

There are those who want something radical which have turned to Corbyn because they have spent most of the last 9 years struggling financially. May didnt do anything to collect any of those votes. Its a case of if the only option available to get them out of their situation is voting for a far-left Labour leader then they do it.

Tactically May has dont very little as she assumed this election was just a formality.

Well said. It certainly seems that change is what is wanted and the Brexit referendum included. It the Trump effect.

2 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

Get what wrong? Logic said that May should have won. 

for chrissake, are you all teaming up to be deliberately obtuse? everyone, in this thread particularly, was saying that she'd have a majority of over 100 and Labour would be history. I'd say they got that wrong. And even if she does have more seats, she's hardly won because she's not in a position to have the majority she needs to govern.  

Just now, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

he did better than anyone could have imagined and gained 29 seats and he still needs to go?  

Yes, he performed a lot better than I expected but its still 65 seats short (at the moment with 3 left to declare) of winning the election. So as he cannot command a majority and needs to go too.

4 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

for chrissake, are you all teaming up to be deliberately obtuse? everyone, in this thread particularly, was saying that she'd have a majority of over 100 and Labour would be history. I'd say they got that wrong. And even if she does have more seats, she's hardly won because she's not in a position to have the majority she needs to govern.  

What do you want, Manfred? A medal?

Edited by Captain Risky

Edited by Captain Risky

This is exactly the same as the way the "Democratic" Party reacted to mr. Trump. 

1 minute ago, RabidMongoose said:

Yes, he performed a lot better than I expected but its still 65 seats short (at the moment with 3 left to declare) of winning the election. So as he cannot command a majority and needs to go too.

You're just being silly. Yes, he did better than anyone ever predicted and made sure that his opponent didn't have the majority she needed for unchallenged rule. So he's a failure and needs to go! ^_^