Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Theresa May calls General Election for June 8

Still Waters

Manfred, he didn't even get close to winning...

2 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

Well said. It certainly seems that change is what is wanted and the Brexit referendum included. It the Trump effect.

I dont think its a rejection of leaving the EU. In my opinion we need to form a council that seeks input from 10,000s of firms asking them what they need and what their challenges are for a future outside of Europe. Then, using that information, actually create and articulate a plan for Brexit to the population. The problem is the vagueness and lack of leadership worrying people over leaving the EU.

Its the ex-UKIP voters, young voters, and families voting which have been struggling financially for 9 years that May hasn't factored in. Labour got most of the UKIP ones. Again £12 billion foreign aid changed to job creation, or re-establishing industries we lost in the 80s thanks to the EU, or a mixture of both. I think that would be very seducing to those ex-UKIP voters and to youngsters that haven't worked.

• Like 1

Manfred, he didn't even get close to winning...

I don't know why you seem to be so determined to save face on behalf of Ms. May. You just seem absolutely determined to insist that she didn't fail hopelessly and miserably in her gamble to give herself a convincing majority. I'm not sure why you suddenly seem to have become so fervently pro-Conservative. One might have thought you'd be pleased since the likelihood of Hard Brexit being watered down now seems more likely. 

5 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

Yes, he performed a lot better than I expected but its still 65 seats short (at the moment with 3 left to declare) of winning the election. So as he cannot command a majority and needs to go too.

Lol He just had a massive win and you think he should go? He's the whole damned reason labour gained votes. May is the one who should go, but I'd rather she stay to be honest. With her in power the Tories will probably lose the next election.

They're going to find it almost impossible to pass any laws with labour, SNP and the Libs opposing them at every turn. This is why May lost this election and should go.

3 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

This is exactly the same as the way the "Democratic" Party reacted to mr. Trump. 

You're just being silly. Yes, he did better than anyone ever predicted and made sure that his opponent didn't have the majority she needed for unchallenged rule. So he's a failure and needs to go! ^_^

You are forgetting that Donald Trump won a healthy majority.

Corbyn didnt win, he didnt come close to winning, and its because most people dont want what he has to offer. He needs to go and make way for a Labour leader that will win a majority. He has held your party back.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

Yes, he performed a lot better than I expected but its still 65 seats short (at the moment with 3 left to declare) of winning the election. So as he cannot command a majority and needs to go too.

Ridiculous claim.  Corbyn was under one hell of an onslaught from the establishment and he didn't give ground like the naysayers claimed, he didn't just hold his ground, oh no, he strapped on a pair of the mightiest balls possible and forced the Establishment to give ground!

He's golden right now, and even if he doesn't get to form a govt he can stand proud of whats he's done.

May?  Not so much...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RabidMongoose said:

I dont think its a rejection of leaving the EU. In my opinion we need to form a council that seeks input from 10,000s of firms asking them what they need and what their challenges are for a future outside of Europe. Then, using that information, actually create and articulate a plan for Brexit to the population. The problem is the vagueness and lack of leadership worrying people over leaving the EU.

Its the ex-UKIP voters, young voters, and families voting which have been struggling financially for 9 years that May hasn't factored in. Labour got most of the UKIP ones. Again £12 billion foreign aid changed to job creation, or re-establishing industries we lost in the 80s thanks to the EU, or a mixture of both. I think that would be very seducing to those ex-UKIP voters and to youngsters that haven't worked.

I think I wasn't clear. I didn't mean it that way. the electorate Is happy with Brexit and accept it as a nessesary change. 

No body factored in the struggling people. People are disenchanted with current politics and anyone (like you said) that offers something different will do well. 

• Like 2

Perhaps , perhaps this is it, you don't understand how it works and you think that if one get more votes than the other that's all there is to it. How it works is that a party needs to have a majority of a certain amount to be able to form a workable government that has a reasonable chance of doing what it wants to do without being constantly outvoted and blocked from doing anything. How they arrive at this figure is an arcane mystery that I have no idea about, but that's what needs to happen, and Ms. May didn't succeed in doing that because Labour won many more seas that was expected. Therefore Mr. Corbun didn't fail, and Ms. May didn't succeed. Merely having more seats than the other one isn't all there is; there needs to be a margin of a particular amount to be able to form a workable government. 

• Like 2

regardless of who forms the next government and what all round compromises are made
Corbyn was the biggest winner on the night - he's not going anywhere any time soon -

I bet even Tony Blair voted for him via his local Labour candidate - what other choice did Remainers have..?
They knew it was hopeless to vote Lib Dem --

I think vast swathes of voters were obliged to make a short term political decision on where to put their vote --
based purely on the choices available - with Brexit as a major factor -

And the influence of Social Media like Face Book and young people getting more involved in politics is heralding
a new era of politics, I think -

• Like 1

On 4/18/2017 at 6:59 PM, RabidMongoose said:

Its been well timed and she will win a landslide majority.

Labour are in disarray and UKIP seem to have disappeared. I suspect that the PM has just out smarted the SNP too preventing another Scottish Independence referendum. The reason being is Labour will make a play for their seats and the Scots will love Corbyn even if most of England dont.

dontlaugh.gif?v=2   A lot has transpired since you wrote this post hasn't it?   Labour represents the many not the few.  People came to their senses!

1 minute ago, Captain Risky said:

I think I wasn't clear. I didn't mean it that way. the electorate Is happy with Brexit and accept it as a nessesary change. 

No body factored in the struggling people. People are disenchanted with current politics and anyone (like you said) that offers something different will do well. 

The campaigning team of May needs sacking because there has been no tactical play from her camp at all to get those disenchanted suffering people (of which there is a lot) to vote Tory.

I think her top-down I`m the boss and you the follower leadership style has had a negative impact too. Being a difficult woman who doesnt listen to people below her means they dont point out obvious problems to her. Because they dont want the grief they get back from her. So they keep telling her she is doing great so she does no tactical play lol.

• Like 1

A thought:  a bunch of talking heads are saying they don't think the electorate will stomach another election.  Thing is a large part of that electorate (the young uns) are only just making their voices heard, and are absolutely buzzing this morning at what theyve done so far.

So consider- May Tries to form a govt, and fails, and Corbyn gets a go . If he fails we go back to the polls...the old folks have had enough and keep out of it.  The young uns , with their tails up and full of beans redouble their efforts; and Corbyn gets a majority....

2 minutes ago, sees said:

dontlaugh.gif?v=2   A lot has transpired since you wrote this post hasn't it?   Labour represents the many not the few.  People came to their senses!

Nope, Labour represents the few and the Tories a little more. No one represents the many. But yes, I got a shock lol.

Edited by RabidMongoose

3 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

I don't know why you seem to be so determined to save face on behalf of Ms. May. You just seem absolutely determined to insist that she didn't fail hopelessly and miserably in her gamble to give herself a convincing majority. I'm not sure why you suddenly seem to have become so fervently pro-Conservative. One might have thought you'd be pleased since the likelihood of Hard Brexit being watered down now seems more likely. 

Stop twisting my words. I openly stated that May lost the election. But I refuse to accept that Corbyn is this mastermind politician that has engineered this result. Corbyn has not shaken the UK. I could care less if solf or hard Brexit wins the day as both are a backward step. Good government transcends change for the sake of change. Soft Brexit and nationalisation of key industries and giving up nuclear security isn't really the smart thing to do. The guy is a dufus. Just cause I'm a left voter doesn't mean that I blindly vote. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Torchwood said:

A thought:  a bunch of talking heads are saying they don't think the electorate will stomach another election.  Thing is a large part of that electorate (the young uns) are only just making their voices heard, and are absolutely buzzing this morning at what theyve done so far.

So consider- May Tries to form a govt, and fails, and Corbyn gets a go . If he fails we go back to the polls...the old folks have had enough and keep out of it.  The young uns , with their tails up and full of beans redouble their efforts; and Corbyn gets a majority....

Oh Christ, there was some headline I saw that said "Could a second EU referundum be on the cards?". Please, in the name of God, no. I'd rather have Kim Jon Un as the new conservative leader and Ms. May's successor than have to endure all that again. :no: 

The campaigning team of May needs sacking because there has been no tactical play from her camp at all to get those disenchanted suffering people (of which there is a lot) to vote Tory.

I think her top-down I`m the boss and you the follower leadership style has had a negative impact too. Being a difficult woman who doesnt listen to people below her means they dont point out obvious problems to her. Because they dont want the grief they get back from her. So they keep telling her she is doing great so she does no tactical play lol.

She must take responsibility for becoming vastly unpopular, i.e. when she was home secretary she made the police cuts....people woke up with the recent terrorist attacks here.  She also did herself no favours with the dementia tax declaration and then backtracking on that, by not appearing on some TV election programmes and by having no deal with EU.

25 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Dear lord, some people really can't admit they got it wrong with grace can you. Look what i said just above; people were confidently saying that Ms. May would be able to increase her majority to over 100 easily, and tell Europe where to stick it. I'd say the people have spoken; what they seem to have said is that they didn't find the prospect of Ms. May particularly appealing. Have a bit of grace, do.

Thing is Manfred, Corbyn may have won 'man of the match', but his team still lost the cup.

And listening to an uncharacteristically smug Corbyn on the radio this morning implying a victory is nonsense.  Not that it matters, jubilation at not having failed miserably may feel like a victory, but once he's gone to bed and got some sleep, when he wakes it'll be all SNAFU again. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Dear lord, some people really can't admit they got it wrong with grace can you. Look what i said just above; people were confidently saying that Ms. May would be able to increase her majority to over 100 easily, and tell Europe where to stick it. I'd say the people have spoken; what they seem to have said is that they didn't find the prospect of Ms. May particularly appealing. Have a bit of grace, do.

How does this make a difference to my post? Look he promised to make the trains run on time, more holidays, more wages, not having to pay for your old age care even if you had the money to pay for it, no tuition fees, etc, etc, people believed it, but he still got less votes Labours 3rd defeat on the trot.

Edited by hetrodoxly

Nope, Labour represents the few and the Tories a little more. No one represents the many. But yes, I got a shock lol.

Really?  Are you up to speed with the situation?

2 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

Let's face it... she is and soon to be was a poor candidate for PM. Corbyn is a poor choice too. But I'd rather May. Replace the lot.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sees said:

Really?  Are you up to speed with the situation?

317 to Tory and 261 to Labour is not the Labour Party in any way shape of form representing the many. 326 or greater is representing the many.

• Like 1

* Shadow Chancellor Mr. Macdonald outside Parliament (or at any rate in front of a screen with a feed from outside Parliament on it):

DB3U5lvUIAE2pPW.jpg

Note truck in background bringing skip to collect Ms. May's hopes of a comfortable majority and her remaining in No. 10 for very much longer. :blush:

• Like 1

Let's face it... she is and soon to be was a poor candidate for PM. Corbyn is a poor choice too. But I'd rather May. Replace the lot.

Her leadership style in the cabinet is poor (one set of problems) and she also has several Machiavelli people in it such as Boris (another set of problems).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

How does this make a difference to my post?

You said

Corbyns delusional, i've just watched him claim on tv he's won the Election, ready to serve and negotiate brexit but even stranger John Mc Donnell saying Conservative needs to step aside because the people have spoken?.

I';d say that was rather bad grace and refusing to face facts. 

Her leadership style in the cabinet is poor (one set of problems) and she also has several Machiavelli people in it such as Boris (another set of problems).

Don't get me started on Boris. :)

• Like 1